• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie looking for advice on RCI and the ins and outs

Rsmith9445

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway at the Beach , Myrtle Beach SC
Hello,
I bought one week at sheraton broadway at the beach in SC. It came prepaid for a week in 2017 which i can't use. I'm looking to deposit it RCI since i am not afforded any SVC points because i bought privately. My questions- Is RCI Worth it? Is my week worth anything now that the year is almost over? Can i deposit 2017 into RCI and combine it with my 2018 week and get a bigger and better room ? How can i tell what my week will get me next year ? My maintainance is $541. RCI is $100 a year plus $249 exchange fee - Is it worth it ?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We found ourselves making lots more RCI reservations via special economy deals (Last Call, Instant Exchange, special sales on Extra Vacation Getaways, etc.) than through regular RCI week-for-week exchange or points exchange.

As a result, we downsized our timeshare ownership to the bare minimum -- a triennial 1BR points unit in Las Vegas, which serves mainly as a toe-hold into RCI Points for purposes of snagging luxury timeshare reservations at Motel 6 & Super 8 rates.

Is this a great country or what ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked up Sheraton Broadway Plantation RCI #4322, 1br (If you have a different resort or unit size, let us know.)

If you can still reserve Thanksgiving week, then you'd get 21 TPU.
Since that is unlikely, your best bet is week 43 (Oct 27 or 28 check-in). At week 44, the value goes down.
The values are below, based upon how far in advance RCI receives the deposit. The max TPU for your week is 26, which is pretty good for a 1br. But it is now a late deposit, so they are penalizing you by only giving you 16, if you hurry and deposit before Oct 14.
If you deposit this week

This is how much trading Power you will receive

After 14 Oct 2017 12
28 Sep 2017 to 13 Oct 2017 16
30 Jul 2017 to 27 Sep 2017 21
1 May 2017 to 29 Jul 2017 23
31 Jan 2017 to 30 Apr 2017 25
Before 30 Jan 2017 26

16 is not a lot, but it totally depends on where you want to go, and whether you can travel off-season. Off-season, this could get you a very nice resort.
Over 30 is decent. The highest is 60. You need close to that to get a Disney resort in Orlando during peak times, or Manhattan Club.

Yes, you may combine your 2018 week's points with this week's points, but there is a $129(?) fee to do so.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Sheraton Broadway Plantation is a Vistana resort, and you are not allowed to reserve a week and deposit that specific week. Instead, Vistana will deposit a generic credit that is the average for the season that you own.

I would deposit it in Interval International instead, where is has more trading value. With II you get the Vistana to Vistana priority, which means that as a Vistana owner, you have priority to trade into other (more expensive) Vistana resorts.

For example, I own at Sheraton Desert Oasis, a comparable resort, and I recently traded it for Westin Princeville (Kauai) - a far more expensive resort.

Vistana Resorts: https://www.vistana.com/destinations

You have until the end of the year to deposit it with Interval.

If you don't deposit it (or use it yourself before the end of the year) you wil lose it, so I think it's worthwhile to deposit it.

Last edited:

Rsmith9445

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I looked up Sheraton Broadway Plantation RCI #4322, 1br (If you have a different resort or unit size, let us know.)

Since that is unlikely, your best bet is week 43 (Oct 27 or 28 check-in). At week 44, the value goes down.
The values are below, based upon how far in advance RCI receives the deposit. The max TPU for your week is 26, which is pretty good for a 1br. But it is now a late deposit, so they are penalizing you by only giving you 16, if you hurry and deposit before Oct 14.
If you deposit this week

After 14 Oct 2017 12
Before 30 Jan 2017 26

16 is not a lot, but it totally depends on where you want to go, and whether you can travel off-season. Off-season, this could get you a very nice resort.
Over 30 is decent. The highest is 60. You need close to that to get a Disney resort in Orlando during peak times, or Manhattan Club.

Yes, you may combine your 2018 week's points with this week's points, but there is a $129(?) fee to do so.

If you deposit this week

After 14 Oct 2017 12
Before 30 Jan 2017 26

Wow, Thanks for getting back to me. Since i am so new to this, I have some more questions- is it my responsbility to reserve the week at the resort then deposit it? Or do I deposit it and RCI takes it from there? Also, without being a member yet, Is there any way to see what i can get for a trade ??

Lastly, If i booked direct thru the resort for next year, how could i "roll over" this years points to use next year ? RCI is $100/year plus you say $129 to push to next year ? Could i use the deposited week combined with the regualr week i booked thru the resort to get a bigger room for one week ? I'm assuming probably not ?

I've never seen "my" Unit before- whats the chances we can get upgraded at the resort at the time of check in ?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Chances of ever getting upgraded at checkin with any timeshare are slim to none. One of the perks of being elite with HGVC is the possibility of being upgraded but that is hit or miss at best, is only for a same size suite, and costs an owner tens of thousands of dollars to become elite.

Is there a reason why you are fixated on RCI? As Denise explains, your resort has priority exchange with II for other Vistana resorts. What that means for you are better, and higher quality, exchanges.

Last edited:

Rsmith9445

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chances of ever getting upgraded at checkin with any timeshare are slim to none. One of the perks of being elite with HGVC is the possibility of being upgraded but that is hit or miss at best and costs an owner tens of thousands of dollars to become elite.

Is there a reason why you are fixated on RCI? As Denise explains, your resort has priority exchange with II for other Vistana resorts. What that means for you are better, and higher quality, exchanges.
Thanks. I looked at RCI and it looked better online. Now that Denise pointed out on II, II looks like a no brainer.

Rsmith9445

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok so i signed up with II and deposited my week. Got some conflicting info from II and Vistana about the value of the week. Whats next? How do i find out where i can go next year?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Interval does not give you a points value - it's not a points system, you trade a week for a week. But you have priority for other Vistana resorts so that is where you should start. Your next step should be to choose one or more Vistana resorts and put in an ongoing search, which is like waitlisting.

You have to pay the exchange fee to put in an ongoing search, but ongoing searches are filled FIRST before any inventory goes online so it's the best practice to get the top resorts. You have to pay the exchange fee either way, so it isn't costing you anything extra. If you never get an exchange, you can leave your exchange fee on account for the next time, or ask for a refund.

To submit an ongoing search, search for the dates/resorts you want and then if they aren't available, II will offer you the opportunity to put in an ongoing search, at the bottom of the page. *You have to pay the exchange fee for each separate request, so put all your resorts and dates in one request.

Best practice:
-Don't try for just school holidays - they have the highest demand/lowest supply, so much harder to get.
-Don't try for just one date at one resort - request multiple resorts/multiple dates.
-You can't request a unit larger than the one you deposited. So if you deposited a 1 bdm, you can request a 1 bdm, and if you deposited a 2 bdm, you can request a 2 bdm.
-The easiest time to get an exchange is the off-season - this is the fall in most places, summer in the desert, spring and fall at ski resorts.
-Don't request dates/units that you don't really want, because if you get a match, you only have 24 hours to reject it. You are supposed to get an email from II notifying you, but it may go in your spam folder, or you may miss it, so when you have an ongoing search in place, it's a good idea to log into II every day and check to see if you got a match.

If submitting a request online the first time seems overwhelming, you can also call and have a Rep do it, but before you call, figure out all your dates and all your resorts, and make a list, so you are prepared.

Last edited:

schenriq

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 1st hand experience when trading SBP in II and RCI. What we own is a the smaller side of the lock-off at Plantation phase.

-II-
My purchase did not close until October but after it closed, I was also the serendipitous recipient of the week for that use year ending in 2 months. Got that free week deposited in II and got matched to a 1BR (Full kitchen) at Four Seasons Aviara in January. My brother was very happy (I gifted the week to them) and SIL was in disbelief :D

-RCI-
Similar to II, one also cannot reserve a specific week for deposit in RCI. I deposited my 2017 usage and was given TPUs based on the average TPU of all "red" weeks I suppose. Two things I like with SBP in RCI: (1) dare I say, generous TPUs and (2) the duration before the TPUs expire. My 2017 usage was deposited in October 2016 but TPUs are good until 10/2019. The generous TPUs make it possible to make multiple exchanges *without* the limits on an Accommodation Cert. However, I have to add that we're more particular with location vs. resort amenities when we vacation so YMMV with regards to the generous TPUs.

Rsmith9445

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nice. I joined II ( the basic membershio, no bells/whistles) and deposited my week. Its good until the end of 2019. Glad i did it and hope we can actually use it! I kinda like the vistana to vistana priority- hopefully, that works out for us. Thanks everyone. Any other tips?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I'm sure at our recent owners update whilst staying at Nanea the rep. mentioned changes in II towards a more points based system and one where you can reserve before you deposit. Don't know if this just applied to those owning Nanea SOs, just Vistana owners or across all timeshare ownership's? I guess I should have asked more questions/paid more attention?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It only applies to the Flex/HomeOption owners in Vistana, like Nanea, the Florida group, and the Mexico group.

All of the other Vistana Resorts are a week for a week.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
It only applies to the Flex/HomeOption owners in Vistana, like Nanea, the Florida group, and the Mexico group.

All of the other Vistana Resorts are a week for a week.

Thanks Denise. That's what I thought, especially as I hadn't heard about it through our 'non-flexy' ownerships.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice. I joined II ( the basic membershio, no bells/whistles) and deposited my week. Its good until the end of 2019. Glad i did it and hope we can actually use it! I kinda like the vistana to vistana priority- hopefully, that works out for us. Thanks everyone. Any other tips?

Where do you live (part of country) and where do you wish to travel?
Do you wish to vacation when school is out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rsmith9445

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We live in NJ and have been guests several times in MB. We are happy to own there. We have two little ones and need to travel when school is out in the summer or the breaks. We are happy wth MB but, eventually we will need to take a trip to Florida to see the big mouse.

SusanRN

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Watch the "instant exchange" listing on the II website. Using a small 1BR SBP I frequently traded in the last 8 years for a 2BR Vistana and even a 3BR Marriott in Orlando. I think now they charge an upgrade fee, but it would still be worth it.

Rsmith9445

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Watch the "instant exchange" listing on the II website. Using a small 1BR SBP I frequently traded in the last 8 years for a 2BR Vistana and even a 3BR Marriott in Orlando. I think now they charge an upgrade fee, but it would still be worth it.
Is this a last minute thing or can i do it in advance?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
By instant exchanges, they just mean the online availability. It's alway a good idea to look, but the ongoing searches are filled before anything goes online, so you want to do both.

The advantage of also looking at the online availability is that you may see a 2 bdm there, that you couldn't request in an ongoing search with a 1 bdm. deposit. If you see it, you can reserve it by paying the upgrade fee.

Last edited:

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
II:
- Vistana to Vistana also comes with reduced exchange fee.
- 2BR summer in Orlando likely should not be a problem to exchange for well in advance (though size upgrade cost applies unless exchanging within 60 days). I can see 2BRs at both Sheraton Vistana and some Marriotts for summer 2018 currently (with my Vistana week).
- Myrtle summer much more of a challenge (if you were hoping to upgrade to a 2BR from your owned unit).
- Check out the stickies at the top of the Vistana Forum (particularly the FAQs and Owner Resources); and when you get opportunity play around with seeing what's available for instant exchange.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Hello,
I bought one week at sheraton broadway at the beach in SC. It came prepaid for a week in 2017 which i can't use. I'm looking to deposit it RCI since i am not afforded any SVC points because i bought privately. My questions- Is RCI Worth it? Is my week worth anything now that the year is almost over? Can i deposit 2017 into RCI and combine it with my 2018 week and get a bigger and better room ? How can i tell what my week will get me next year ? My maintainance is $541. RCI is $100 a year plus $249 exchange fee - Is it worth it ?

I would trade it to DAE

There current promo is:

2 for 1 Credits OR 3 for 2 Credits, 2-year Gold Advantage, plus $100 Exchange credit!