• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Zealand Tourist Tax

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-zealand-new-tourist-tax/

I can't imagine having as many tourists visiting this small nation in 4 months as almost its entire population.

In other articles, I have read the New Zealand locals are upset by having so many tourists. I have also read the cost of housing has become unaffordable.

So we probably should not complain about tourist taxes because the locals all over the world, including the USA, get annoyed when tourists are flocking their cities and neighborhoods.

I used to live in San Francisco on a hill near Fisherman's Wharf. I found all the tourists annoying and avoided going down there whenever possible.

In the town I live in now, we are right off a major highway entrance to go to the beach. On summer weekends, we locals can't go grocery shopping or to our little downtown because the traffic backups are horrendous. Our town has tried many things to divert non-locals from causing traffic jams, like shutting down that entrance on weekend mornings but then we locals are penalized if we want to use it. I was thinking maybe we should position a policeman at the entrance and you need to show an ID of where you live to use that on ramp. My idea will never fly, though.

So I think New Zealand and other tourist areas are right to impose tourist taxes to be able to improve their infrastructure and sustain the environment.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Tourism (or better stated, when your economy depends on tourism) is a multi-edged sword. In our travels, I have yet to find a municipality that did not want our tax dollars with respect to our purchases or businesses that did not want our patronage. At the same time, I can see how the local citizens do not benefit all that much given the drain on local resources. Still, given that tourism did not suddenly happen overnight, I'd be asking the powers that be in NZ why they haven't been improving their infrastructure with the tax revenues tourism has generated over the years. Come to think of it, the locals should be asking this too.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Tourism (or better stated, when your economy depends on tourism) is a multi-edged sword. In our travels, I have yet to find a municipality that did not want our tax dollars with respect to our purchases or businesses that did not want our patronage. At the same time, I can see how the local citizens do not benefit all that much given the drain on local resources. Still, given that tourism did not suddenly happen overnight, I'd be asking the powers that be in NZ why they haven't been improving their infrastructure with the tax revenues tourism has generated over the years. Come to think of it, the locals should be asking this too.

We can ask the same thing about California. Our infrastructure is terrible. In my opinion, if tourists overrun a country, it might make sense to tax them. If fewer tourists visit, then the locals need to decide if that is in their best interests. People react emotionally, not based on economics and facts.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
CA went from having a deficit to a surplus...
In 2011 - deficit of 27 Billion
In 2017 - surplus of 6.1 Billion

Also CA population is growing despite more people leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have visited New Zealand several times. We have always found the locals friendly and helpful. We have greatly enjoyed our trips to this wonderful country. Most of their Highways are like the USA in the 1950's and many of the intersections away from the big towns have very poor signage. This led to an accidental several hour drive through the mounains between Roturua and the Glow Worm Caves including gravel roads near the Mountain tops. As Patti says we were not lost we were having an adventure.

Several years ago they were thinking of restricting car rentals to people who could prove that were familiar with driving on the left side of the road. Too many car accidents were being caused by the toursts.

In the Article it points out the tourist from January 1 through April contributed 14.7 Billion dollars to the New Zealand economy. So I think we are already making a substantial contribution.

Last edited:

dmurray007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Suitelife Vacations Club
Shell Vacations Club (American)
Viida Vacations Club (Grand Luxxe)
We have visited New Zealand several times. We have always found the locals friendly and helpful. We have greatly enjoyed our trips to this wonderful country. Most of their Highways are like the USA in the 1950's and many of the intersections away from the big towns have very poor signage. This led to an accidental several hour drive through the mounains between Roturua and the Glow Worm Caves including gravel roads near the Mountain tops. As Patti says we were not lost we were having an adventure.

Several years ago they were thinking of restricting car rentals to people who could prove that were familiar with driving on the left side of the road. Too many car accidents were being caused by the toursts.

In the Article it points out the tourist from January 1 through April contributed 14.7 Billion dollars to the New Zealand economy. So I think we are already making a substantial contribution.

I refer to such incidents as sightseeing by accident, no harm do as long as you end up where you want to be.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wonder how you would go about doing that?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CA went from having a deficit to a surplus...
In 2011 - deficit of 27 Billion
In 2017 - surplus of 6.1 Billion

Also CA population is growing despite more people leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Net-net, CA still has more people coming in than leaving. Also, we have a lot of Chinese investment plus Silicon Valley supports the state. I think CA has a surplus because they have cut many services yet we still pay ridiculous pensions to government workers. I do not recall the exact numbers, but I think I read that 60%+ of California's budget goes to pensions. It pisses me off that I am being taxed 13% to pay for government workers who are just floating in their jobs for a pension. I have a few friends who work for the government and they just stay for the pension. It is horrendous. CA treats it foster children terribly. It has cut social services for children. California is a disaster. I wish I could convince my DH to move to a better managed state. Between federal income tax, state taxes and property taxes, we pay out about 75% of our income. This is ridiculous!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Here's another example of tourists ruining the environment: The US national parks. Yellowstone and Yosemite are so overrun with tourists. If you visited 10 years ago and visit now, it is like night and day. The national parks are overrun by tourists ruining the environment. I would prefer to severely limit tourism and give up revenue than ruin the natural beauty of US national parks and counties like New Zealand. There comes a point were tourism dollars are no longer worth the impact on the quality of life. This is what is happening in New Zealand. Tourism is hurting the locals by raising the cost of living and destroying the environment. I think many locals were happier before. The same thing happened to my home town of Miami. Tourism and development has ruined Southern Florida but has not helped the locals. Outside of South Beach and the coastal area, people in South Florida are still relatively poor. I know because my family lives outside of the tourist areas and they have not benefited. There is a recent movie about this topic and how the development of Orlando has left the locals behind.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Net-net, CA still has more people coming in than leaving. Also, we have a lot of Chinese investment plus Silicon Valley supports the state. I think CA has a surplus because they have cut many services yet we still pay ridiculous pensions to government workers. I do not recall the exact numbers, but I think I read that 60%+ of California's budget goes to pensions. It pisses me off that I am being taxed 13% to pay for government workers who are just floating in their jobs for a pension. I have a few friends who work for the government and they just stay for the pension. It is horrendous. CA treats it foster children terribly. It has cut social services for children. California is a disaster. I wish I could convince my DH to move to a better managed state. Between federal income tax, state taxes and property taxes, we pay out about 75% of our income. This is ridiculous!

Public employee bashing/hatred has really gotten out of control. Not sure how you turned the new zealand discussion into ca hatred. The next time you have to call the fire dept/police/emergency services or teachers, you should lecture them about their pensions & compensation.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Public employee bashing/hatred has really gotten out of control. Not sure how you turned the new zealand discussion into ca hatred. The next time you have to call the fire dept/police/emergency services or teachers, you should lecture them about their pensions & compensation.

I live in California!

Teachers are paid about $100K per year in our school district. Firemen and policemen earn about $300,000 a year with overtime. Not too bad. Teachers earn more than master's level counselors and many other white collar professionals in California. Fireman and policeman are obviously paid very well, more than most folks with master's and PhDs.

My brother is a policeman in Miami and my father retired from working at a mid-level position at a community college. They are receiving extraordinary pensions and I am happy for them individually.

However I resent paying so much in taxes to a poorly run state. I think many other states are better run than California.

BTW, we under utilize public services. We get virtually nothing for our taxes in California. We tried to adopt foster children in California and it was not successful. If my taxes can't support foster children in California, then why would we want to pay for high paid pensions?

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

By any chance, are you receiving or eligible for a pension from a public job in California?

Last edited:

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
By any chance, are you receiving a pension from a public job in California?
I live in California!

Teachers are paid about $100K per year in our school district. Firemen and policemen earn about $300,000 a year with overtime. Not too bad. Teachers earn more than master's level counselors and many other white collar professionals in California. Fireman and policeman are obviously paid very well, more than most folks with master's and PhDs.

My brother is a policeman in Miami and my father retired from working at a mid-level position at a community college. They are receiving extraordinary pensions and I am happy for them individually.

However I resent paying so much in taxes to a poorly run state. I think many other states are better run than California.

BTW, we under utilize public services. We get virtually nothing for our taxes in California. We tried to adopt foster children in California and it was not successful. If my taxes can't support foster children in California, then why would we want to pay for high paid pensions?

These figures are gross exaggerations, policemen do not on average earn $300,000. If you hate california so much, move. California is a huge economy and i am sure you would earn far less in your preferred staes.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These figures are gross exaggerations, policemen do not on average earn $300,000. If you hate california so much, move. California is a huge economy and i am sure you would earn far less in your preferred staes.

Are you collecting or eligible for a pension from the CA government?

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I am a small business owner so my income does not vary by where I live. My DH loves California. I have been trying to convince him to move and he refuses. However, we do live the "good life" in California and all my fiends envy us. California is still viewed as Mecca by out of state folks.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

BTW, why are you so angry??? I assume you are a CA government worker or you would understand my pet peeves.

Can't we all have our own opinion?

Everyone knows the CA government is a wreck. This is common knowledge. Our schools and infrastructure are falling apart and 60%+ of the state budget goes to pensions. How could this be a good situation?

The population outflow from CA exceeds the inflow, except for immigrants. This is what leads to a net inflow of population.

The state government surplus is due to increasing taxes and reducing social services so we can continue to pay pensions to a small segment of California's population.

I would leave CA in a second and we could retire early, without a state pension or any social security or any government assistance...if my DH would agree.

Last edited:

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I live in California!

BTW, why are you so angry and hateful?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW, why are you so angry and hateful?

Why are you? You seem more angry and hateful. I was just expressing an opinion.

You never answered the question if you are a government worker eligible or using our taxes to subsidize your retirement.

We live the good life in CA but I resent paying for other people's retirement. It is ridiculous that 60% + of the state's revenue goes to pensions, while foster children are being abused and aging out of the CA foster care system due to bureaucracy and underpaid social workers who don't care, infrastructure is deteriorating, we cannot afford to provide healthcare to people, students have high debt, education is crumbling, and many people are poor because there is no state budget to support the truly needy. We are the lucky few in CA, but I would still prefer to live in Florida if my DH could realize that the heat in FL is not any worse the the heat in CA since global warming.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You said:

That sounds very defensive, angry and hateful to me.

There is a reason why pubic employee bashing has gotten out of control. I am glad to hear that Californians are waking up to reality!

“The failure to face what’s evident, right in front of our eyes, is a form of generational theft.”

I am part of the older generation and have worked for 40 years. I believe pensions and social security are outdated and will leave our youth with a poor future. Changes need to be made for our children and grandchildren. And I do not mean my children or grandchildren, because I do not have any.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I receive $1100/month Calpers pension. I pay the same taxes as every other Californian. I contributed to my pension just like public sector workers with 401k matching. I left state service before retirement age, so I don’t qualify for any other benefits (no healthcare).

I agree that these $300k spiked pensions are an issue, but its not the blame for pension underfunding. The underfunding issue came to light because of changes in financial reporting, healthcare liability has to be shown now. The cost of retirees healthcare, not pensions, is the problem. More than half of all Calpers pensioners receive less than $30k.

Most CalPERS and CalSTRS retirees will never make anywhere near the pensions earned by the top-earning 100 retirees. The 100 top-earning CalPERS employees, for instance, make up about one-hundreth of 1 percent of CalPERS beneficiaries. The pensions paid to them in 2016 were equivalent to about one-tenth of 1 percent of all benefits paid to CalPERS beneficiaries.

dcf6610434a7a497ad13f96fcf3f8463.jpg

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/the-state-worker/article213492124.html#storylink=cpy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why are you? You seem more angry and hateful. I was just expressing an opinion.

You never answered the question if you are a government worker eligible or using our taxes to subsidize your retirement.

Your posts spew hate towards public employees and i don’t have to answer your questions. There are many tug members who were teachers or public employees and you don’t need to be so resentful that they get pensions. They pay taxes too. I am done communicating with you and your mischaracterization of facts.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What the heck? I thought this was a thread on New Zealand tourist taxes? It was of interest to me because we're planning a trip there. Now it's another thread gone off the rails.

Everyone has a right to their opinions, but please base them on facts and express them with civility.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do not think I have spewed hatred. I have expressed my opinion on problems in our state and country. I think some specific people on this thread are very defensive and turned this into an argument. I do not know why this happened. Then they spewed anger and hatred toward me.

This is supposed to be a thread about tourism taxes and the first mention of California was when I said something about the need and importance of tourism taxes. Then the thread went downhill because I mentioned the bloated California budget going to support retirees and it offended a person on this thread and she started saying I was spewing hatred. Then this turned into a pension argument. That was not my intention. There is another thread, which I found and posted here, to argue about retirement pensions.

If someone receives a pension, just be happy and ignore those of us who have our opinions about government-run pension systems. There is no need to get defensive if you believe you have sacrificed and you believe you are entitled to a pension.

This is not a pension specific issue. It is also a federal problem with social security. You could argue that I hate people receiving social security since my opinion of government-run pensions, social security and other entitlement programs that do not support the poor are the same. I believe in supporting the poor and giving them a helping hand with our taxes. I have contributed much more than my fair share to social security yet I would gladly give it up to help people less fortunate. We have no intention of using social security in a our retirement plan. We will figure out how to donate it to the future generations.

I wholeheartedly support tourism taxes because tourists should support the places they visit with extra taxes rather than having the locals subsidize the tourism infrastructure. On TUG, many people complain about paying tourism taxes. But in the New Zealand example, the country is being over run by tourists. Yes, tourists bring in revenue and create jobs but they also destroy the environment and cause cost of living increases. I gladly pay tourism taxes when I travel. I think the places I visit deserve to be supported by extra taxes from tourists.

Now I will leave this thread because it has gone downhill.

Last edited: