• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Westin Resort and Spa Cancun

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that this Resort is showing in the Villa finder. Does anyone have any further info?
The link to the resort page is not yet complete.

Some interesting units Studio Lockoff sleeps 8 ?

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are converting some of the existing Westin hotel rooms into villas:

SPECIAL CONDITIONS

Guest Room Renovations Until end of March 2018
Until March 2018, 50 guest rooms are being converted into villas in Tower A of the main building. Guest should expect occasionally moderate noise level during the day from 8 AM till 8 PM. Please contact the resort for additional information.

Resort Renovations from April 9th till July 2nd
The resort will be undergoing renovation work in the following areas: Restaurant El Palmar and its surrounding triangular swimming pools as well as the Heavenly Spa and the Westin Workout. Construction areas will be fully surrounded by fencing. Work will occur from 8am to 8pm daily. Guests should expect moderate noise during this construction work. Please contact the resort for additional information.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I just noticed that this Resort is showing in the Villa finder. Does anyone have any further info?
The link to the resort page is not yet complete.

Some interesting units Studio Lockoff sleeps 8 ?
The studio lock off villa is 828 sq feet and sleeps 8, the studio villa is 418 sq feet and sleeps 4. I am assuming that the lock off studio would be equivalent point wise to a 1 bedroom. There were no 1 bedrooms listed, just 2 and 3 bedrooms. Looks interesting. How is the beach there compared to Lagunamar?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
The studio lock off villa is 828 sq feet and sleeps 8, the studio villa is 418 sq feet and sleeps 4. I am assuming that the lock off studio would be equivalent point wise to a 1 bedroom. There were no 1 bedrooms listed, just 2 and 3 bedrooms. Looks interesting. How is the beach there compared to Lagunamar?
Sorry, should have written SO rather than points. I am thinking Hyatt Vacation Club with the terminology , points

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
it was more than 81000 options, but the small studio was 67000 options for March when i was looking

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The beach was nice from what I remember staying at the hotel several years ago. The resort is located way south of the hotel zone, near Club Med. What I liked is that you could walk over to a reef area by Club Med that had nice snorkeling. Much more interesting than just the water and sand in the main beach.

However, the hotel had a mildew smell. It was a couple of years after a major hurricane hit, and they never could quite get all the humidity out of the rooms. We had to change rooms a couple of times to find one that didn’t smell bad.

Again, this was during Christmas many years ago (probably more than 10). The mildew problem may well have been resolved by now.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We stayed at Lagunamar in January and our transport drove by the Cancun Hotel a couple of times. We didn't have a chance to stop to look at the property, but we liked the general area around Lagunamar much more. We were able to walk to the outdoor mall across the street and the indoor mall down the street, which included a market. We didn't see anything like that near the hotel. Others who are more familiar with Cancun will be able to share their more experienced insights.

Best regards.

Mike

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
We'll be at Lagunamar next month. Maybe they will be taking people down there to look as part of the owners update. We will see.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lagunamar is indeed much better located as far as shopping and dining options go. The hotel area is shaped like the number 7. The hotel is at the bottom whereas most of the action and Lagunamar is closer to the top corner.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
the drug cartells are over cancun now, military walk the beach with machine guns, I am not going there for a long time.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
Just got the email announcing the availability of booking in the Westin Resort and Spa Cancun.

upload_2018-3-22_16-6-1.png

upload_2018-3-22_16-6-24.png

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
the drug cartells are over cancun now, military walk the beach with machine guns, I am not going there for a long time.

when were you there last? We just returned and the police patrols of the beach on Quads is no more than before. I believe that the US travel ban to Playa has been lifted also. I feel safer in the Hotel Zone in Cancun than I would in Toronto (or any major US city)

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Week seasons adhere exactly to Lagunamar, so choices are high season 67,100 for studio, 134,200 for studio lockoff, (which is basically 2 adjoining studios), 148,100 2 bedroom, 3 bedroom lockoff (2 bedroom and a studio) 215,200. A little rich for me. I would only be going in low season.

Rman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just back from the Lagunamar. I felt completely safe. Nothing remotely suspect at any time.
I am responding to the other poster about toronto, as someone who lived in toronto, compared to mexico is no comparison, and shouldn't be posting any such comparison

Unless you live in the worst area in Toronto, and also unless you belong to a gang or some crazy stuff like that,
I would say it is so much more safer, with the gun laws canada has and the police force , can not compare corruption

Not to mention the healtcare Canada has in case you get injured etc..,

I am a vistana elite owner, and next presentation, and any presentation I speak with the tour reps, I always tell them my reservations which is even worse than before with the mexico violence

diseases in their hotels , that epidemic, not sure if it killed anyone but had a hand and foot mouth disease for small chldren, this type or lack of attention to health standards etc....

I know westin will do their best to keep their resorts in top shape etc..., but the vast majority of the mexican resorts wont and don't

Anyways just my thoughts, I also know many canadian Westin owners who do not want to go to Mexico because of the violednce etc.....

If if slip and fall and have to go to a hospital, I don't have the same faith in the mexican healthcare system compared to the Canadian or US health care system either

Clarifying. Just my thoughts

Reaction score
I am also Canadian, and I agree that the Toronto comparison was specious. I also agree that there are a lot of potential problems that tourists to Mexico could face. We did have concerns.

We stayed at the Westin Lagunamar and we encountered no issues at all during our visit two weeks ago, nor even the slightst hint of any. We were reluctant to vacation in Mexico, but our trip was safe and sound.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am responding to the other poster about toronto, as someone who lived in toronto, compared to mexico is no comparison, and shouldn't be posting any such comparison

Unless you live in the worst area in Toronto, and also unless you belong to a gang or some crazy stuff like that,
I would say it is so much more safer, with the gun laws canada has and the police force , can not compare corruption

I am a vistana elite owner, and next presentation, and any presentation I speak with the tour reps, I always tell them my reservations which is even worse than before with the mexico violence

diseases in their hotels , that epidemic, not sure if it killed anyone but had a hand and foot mouth disease for small chldren, this type or lack of attention to health standards etc....

I know westin will do their best to keep their resorts in top shape etc..., but the vast majority of the mexican resorts wont and don't

Anyways just my thoughts, I also know many canadian Westin owners who do not want to go to Mexico because of the violednce etc.....

If if slip and fall and have to go to a hospital, I don't have the same faith in the mexican healthcare system compared to the Canadian or US health care system either
U

Clarifying. Just my thoughts
I appreciate your viewpoint but
My reference was to the Hotel Zone in Cancun only nothing about healthcare systems or epidemics. I believe that the media exposure to incidents in Mexico magnifies the fears of some people, possibly like the other Westin owners that you know. There is violence everywhere, weather it be Cartel turf wars in Mexico or gang wars in North American cities. The recent shooting at the bowling alley in Toronto for example. I am guessing that it didn't get much airplay in Cancun, but if it were the other way around you can be sure that it would be all over the news in Canada.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Week seasons adhere exactly to Lagunamar, so choices are high season 67,100 for studio, 134,200 for studio lockoff, (which is basically 2 adjoining studios), 148,100 2 bedroom, 3 bedroom lockoff (2 bedroom and a studio) 215,200. A little rich for me. I would only be going in low season.
Your "studio lockoff, (which is basically 2 adjoining studios)" phrase misses the mark by about 1.5 miles. I can assure you (and others who might be concerned) that while our 1BR unit connects to a studio, it is far more spacious and livable than a studio...and has a separate bedroom. To the best of my knowledge, there are no side-by-side studios at Westin Lagunamar.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Your "studio lockoff, (which is basically 2 adjoining studios)" phrase misses the mark by about 1.5 miles. I can assure you (and others who might be concerned) that while our 1BR unit connects to a studio, it is far more spacious and livable than a studio...and has a separate bedroom. To the best of my knowledge, there are no side-by-side studios at Westin Lagunamar.

@bobpark56 -- how did @alexadeparis "miss the mark by about 1.5 miles?" To my read, the post was descriptive, factually accurate, and easily understood. It was not stated or even implied that a studio lockoff is equivalent to the 2-bedroom lockoff at WLR. In fact, the StarOptions value of a studio lockoff is less than that of a 2-bedroom lockoff at WLR, which is what you'd expect considering the smaller size.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't remember where I saw it, but was surprised recently to read that some of Mexico's resort cities are some of the most dangerous cities in the world. Won't be going there..

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't remember where I saw it, but was surprised recently to read that some of Mexico's resort cities are some of the most dangerous cities in the world. Won't be going there..

That isn't true. The State Department puts out warning on crime and violence and does it by state, not cities. They chose Guerrero and Sinaloa as two very high crime states due to presence of big drug cartels. But the drug cartel violence are centered in areas far away from the resort cities. These states are gigantic geographically. In Guerrero the resort cities are Ixtapa/Acapulco and in Sinaloa it is Mazatlan. They are not particularly dangerous cities and are pretty nice, but they do have higher than normal crime rates compared to Cancun or the more popular resort areas. But nowhere among the most dangerous places in the world.

It is like saying Napa, San Francisco, Anaheim, San Diego, Oceanside, and Hollywood are dangerous cities because they are in the same state as Compton or Oakland where there is gang violence. I get it that tourists may not feel comfortable vacationing in Mexico, that's fine, but calling the resort cities the most dangerous places in the world is just false.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@bobpark56 -- how did @alexadeparis "miss the mark by about 1.5 miles?" To my read, the post was descriptive, factually accurate, and easily understood. It was not stated or even implied that a studio lockoff is equivalent to the 2-bedroom lockoff at WLR. In fact, the StarOptions value of a studio lockoff is less than that of a 2-bedroom lockoff at WLR, which is what you'd expect considering the smaller size.

If you look at the villa floor plans, the new resorts' studio lockoff is literally 2 adjoining studios.
VIlla-WCRV_Studio-Lock-off-12_5-GREY-F.-1300x1300png-800x800.png

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Nothing like sleeping in the kitchen! I don't think so, lol.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given a choice between here vs Lagunamar, I can’t see why anyone would consider staying here