• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2017 ] New Westin Flex

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Flex is a deeded interest in a real estate trust. You don't own a week and don't have any home resort priority. As for the loss of resale value, it is because Flex is voluntary VSN. Meaning the StarOptions don't transfer on resale, so they are not as desirable to own. That may change if the weeks in the trust pool get better and booking in trust is easier. The problem is if you own a resale Westin Flex, you can't book Sheraton properties with points. If you own Sheraton Flex resale, you can't book Westin properties with StarOptions.

Could you give more info on what I've highlighted? Are you saying a Flex owner would not have a Home Resort Period for reservations?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Really appreciating these comments. If anyone has additional points of view on why...or why not... sell/convert my yearly OV WKORV to flex; it would be helpful.

You would be giving up your WKORV-OV week (which has resale value) plus cash (which has immediate value) for something with no resale value. What's that -- $25 -35K?

What do you get in return? The chance to reserve whatever properties are in the trust at the twelve month mark (rather than at eight months, which you can already do with your WKORV StarOptions). How do you know that Kierland or Mission Hills will be available at the eight month mark (do not rely on the salesman's representation)?

If you want to reserve Kierland during platinum season, buy a platinum Kierland week for $14-16K (which will be worth about that much should you decide to sell it).

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could you give more info on what I've highlighted? Are you saying a Flex owner would not have a Home Resort Period for reservations?

Flex owners only have home resort priority for the deeds that are in the trust, not everything at a given resort. And I think the trust is mostly off season weeks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I absolutely would not do it - it will tremendously devalue your timeshare.

Right now you own a deeded week that has Staroptions if you resale it - the Staroptions add significantly to it's resale value.

If you convert to Flex, and want to sell it later, the Staroptions will not transfer to the buyer, and that will really hurt the resale value.

This is a bad deal for you!

hawaii gal

Reaction score
You would be giving up your WKORV-OV week (which has resale value) plus cash (which has immediate value) for something with no resale value. What's that -- $25 -35K?

What do you get in return? The chance to reserve whatever properties are in the trust at the twelve month mark (rather than at eight months, which you can already do with your WKORV StarOptions). How do you know that Kierland or Mission Hills will be available at the eight month mark (do not rely on the salesman's representation)?

If you want to reserve Kierland during platinum season, buy a platinum Kierland week for $14-16K (which will be worth about that much should you decide to sell it).

I think the most impactful thing you have said is to spend the same amount of $ as the additional cash we would have to spend for the conversion and just buy a platinum week at Kierland! I am assuming this would be on the resale market as it has been my understanding that they have been 'sold out' for some time.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - you will save tens of thousand of dollars buying resale.

hawaii gal

Reaction score
So does anyone know this...once reservations are made (lets say WKORV Ocean View) who is going to get priority on 'location of lockoff'...a 3 star deeded OWNER...or a 3 star FLEX? This is one of the points that keeps coming into our discussions....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This shouldn't change - it will be based on how early you make the reservation. Your Elite Status doesn't change that.

hawaii gal

Reaction score
This shouldn't change - it will be based on how early you make the reservation. Your Elite Status doesn't change that.
I think we were wondering more if 'owner' had more leverage than 'flex' if reservation timing was same. Also, we were pitched that if we upgraded to 4star then preference would occur.

hawaii gal

Reaction score
Can anyone explain what the real motivation is for creating the Flex program? Seems to me that it ultimately creates more owners with access to the premier properties (Hawaii)?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Their real motivation is to make more money. Nothing more.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Can anyone explain what the real motivation is for creating the Flex program? Seems to me that it ultimately creates more owners with access to the premier properties (Hawaii)?
It seems to be an easier product to sell when all you were left with was low/shoulder season weeks with perhaps a few high season. Selling more weeks does the same thing as you are describing. More owners competing against each other for prime reservations, especially in Hawaii where the entire season is platinum and there are only perhaps about a dozen high season weeks that most people really want.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

They can tell people who are buying a box of mostly low season weeks that they can (theoretically) book high season weeks/Hawaii. It makes it way easier to sell something nobody wants.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I think we were wondering more if 'owner' had more leverage than 'flex' if reservation timing was same. Also, we were pitched that if we upgraded to 4star then preference would occur.

This is a lie.

If it were true, a 5* owner could make a reservation months after an ordinary owner and receive the better view. We know that does not happen; view priority is set by timestamp (reservation number).

Stop trusting your salesperson (or demand that such promises be put into writing because you are relying on them in making this purchase; see how fast they back off).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To add to what Robert said - sales people lie - they will tell you what ever it takes to make a sell.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have always made my reservations exactly at window opening - even before online reservations. I have always had excellent locations. Small statistic overall, but appears that Timestamp rules. YMMV

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
They can tell people who are buying a box of mostly low season weeks that they can (theoretically) book high season weeks/Hawaii. It makes it way easier to sell something nobody wants.
I think we need to clarify a point made here. The Hawaii weeks that are in the trust are all high season weeks. There are no low season weeks in Hawaii. Also the Westin Deset Willow weeks are comprised of inventory of new buildings where deeds were never initially sold. These represent 4 properties in the trust. I am not aware of the make up of the other properties but Vistana needed to ensure that all seasons were represented, so there are floating weeks in every period. In terms of Kierland, the inventory is very small, and likely made up of the last association sale.

In owning this product you have home resort priority (12 month reservation window) at all 6 resorts. So while not as good as StarOptions on resale, still there are 6 resorts in this mini network.

I am considering a purchase. For $10K, and two voluntary eoy deeds, I get 100,000 annual home options, use an explorer towards the purchase, get a bunch of SPG points, and retro a platinum plus 3 bed in St John.

Markus

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There are no low season weeks in Hawaii. Also the Westin Deset Willow weeks are comprised of inventory of new buildings where deeds were never initially sold. These represent 4 properties in the trust.
I don't think Nanea is in Westin Flex. It has its own trusts. So wouldn't this only represent three properties?

hawaii gal

Reaction score
I don't think Nanea is in Westin Flex. It has its own trusts. So wouldn't this only represent three properties?
Westin Flex as it was presented to us... includes both Kaanapali's, Kierland, Desert Willow, Kauai, Mission Hills and Riverfront. The one question we keep asking that does has an evasive answer is that despite being able to make a reservation at all of the properties now at 12-8 months out...what will be availability....

But...if we would consider purchasing more 'options' that would move us to 4 star then....

All seems too squishy. Considering what I already own (all Hawaii) I most like Robert's suggestion of spending the same amount of $ and just buying a Premium Plus at Kierland.

blondietink

Reaction score
Also I think people are forgetting the higher yearly maintenance fees associated with the trust products vs. the deeded weeks people already own. We went to the presentation in both Hawaii and Mexico. Both of those trust products were presented to us and they both had higher yearly fees for virtually the same amount of options that we already own.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
The fees in the Westin Flex will be lower than Hawaii because they are averaged down by the weight of the other properties in the trust outside of Hawaii. This is the vase because the fees are lower at the non Hawaii properties.

Markus

hawaii gal

Reaction score
I think we need to clarify a point made here. The Hawaii weeks that are in the trust are all high season weeks. There are no low season weeks in Hawaii. Also the Westin Deset Willow weeks are comprised of inventory of new buildings where deeds were never initially sold. These represent 4 properties in the trust. I am not aware of the make up of the other properties but Vistana needed to ensure that all seasons were represented, so there are floating weeks in every period. In terms of Kierland, the inventory is very small, and likely made up of the last association sale.

In owning this product you have home resort priority (12 month reservation window) at all 6 resorts. So while not as good as StarOptions on resale, still there are 6 resorts in this mini network.

I am considering a purchase. For $10K, and two voluntary eoy deeds, I get 100,000 annual home options, use an explorer towards the purchase, get a bunch of SPG points, and retro a platinum plus 3 bed in St John.

Markus
Need to clarify...when seeking a reservation...available units are determined with the added filter that only flex units are available for flex owners and deeded units to deeded owners?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Need to clarify...when seeking a reservation...available units are determined with the added filter that only flex units are available for flex owners and deeded units to deeded owners?

Theoretically, yes.

In Marriott-land, they "exchange" units between the Destination Club and its Exchange Club. This is all done behind an opaque curtain and we don't get to know what is actually exchanged for what. But for eight years, it has worked fairly smoothly and weeks owners have not felt shortchanged. I don't know whether Vistana plans something similar for Flex.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think we need to clarify a point made here. The Hawaii weeks that are in the trust are all high season weeks. There are no low season weeks in Hawaii.

True, but not all Hawaii high season weeks are created equal. While all weeks are "high season", April-May and September to Mid-December in Hawaii have less demand than summer and January-March. That's why when Marriott Vacation Club created their trust point schedule they set up a two-tier points structure for Hawaii vs the old single Platinum season used in their old Weeks system. The interesting thing to know about Westin Flex would be how many of those "high season" Hawaii weeks are in the true high season in summer and winter?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
True, but not all Hawaii high season weeks are created equal. While all weeks are "high season", April-May and September to Mid-December in Hawaii have less demand than summer and January-March. That's why when Marriott Vacation Club created their trust point schedule they set up a two-tier points structure for Hawaii vs the old single Platinum season used in their old Weeks system. The interesting thing to know about Westin Flex would be how many of those "high season" Hawaii weeks are in the true high season in summer and winter?
It shouldn't matter since those Hawaii weeks are for the most part, floating.