• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New weeks owner

GM600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld (Orlando)
HGVC on the Boulevard (Las Vegas)
Marriott’s Grande Vista
So I finally just got access to my Grande Vista 3 bedroom lock-off, platinum season. I'd like to do a request first deposit and split it into a 2 bedroom and a studio to get more use out of it. That all sounded easy until I actually went in to do it. July 4th week is not available so I was just trying to maximize the trading potential for the unit. Since my unit is in the Florida Club, I was able to see that a week 14 (April 7-14, 2018), 2 bedroom unit is available at Beach Place Towers. Should I use that as a deposit since it appears that it has a higher demand than Grande Vista? My only hesitation is that I don't want to go there if I don't end of getting a trade. I only live 30mins away from Beach Place Towers. Or should I choose a lower demand week at Grande Vista that I would actually be able to use? I know that I'm late to list an exchange, but I just got access to the unit.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never done a request first, I always just deposit into II and then request.
With that method you no longer have the option to stay in the unit you reserved and deposited.
Once you deposit into II you have 2 years to make an exchange.
Can your party fit in a studio?
Studios don’t have great trading power and if you are offered a larger unit you will have to pay an upsize fee unless you are in flexchange(60days from travel).

Sorry if this is info you already know- I am assuming you are new to II too.

GM600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld (Orlando)
Marriott’s Grande Vista
I have never done a request first, I always just deposit into II and then request.
With that method you no longer have the option to stay in the unit you reserved and deposited.
Once you deposit into II you have 2 years to make an exchange.
Can your party fit in a studio?
Studios don’t have great trading power and if you are offered a larger unit you will have to pay an upsize fee unless you are in flexchange(60days from travel).

Sorry if this is info you already know- I am assuming you are new to II too.
We can squeeze in to a studio, but I’d rather pay the upgrade fee and get something larger.

For this first trade I was trying to trade the 2 bedroom side.

I am new to II as well. My other timeshares are Hilton and trade through RCI.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would go with the BP reservation but as a deposit first. I cannot think of any reason to do a request first in your situation. Neither option is so high demand that II will work harder then they would for the deposit first.

You always have the option of doing a request first and then switching to a deposit first before 60 days. This way you are not stuck with the reservation.

Everything will rent it just depends on the price. Grande Vista though is not a good rental option. Orlando does not rent well and this is especially true for GV where rentals end up on ebay for much less than the annual fees.

GM600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld (Orlando)
Marriott’s Grande Vista
Now I've confused myself. So on the Marriott site I select Marriott Deposit or Owner deposit

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I've confused myself. So on the Marriott site I select Marriott Deposit or Owner deposit

On the Marriott site never select to deposit, especially not Marriott deposit (ever). Always select to just book the reservation on your own. I made the mistake once of selecting owner deposit and never again. You do not want a human error prone individual to click buttons and mess things up.

Once you have your Marriott reservation you can go directly to II and online you can enter your reservation number and make the deposit yourself.

You would have to do this whether you deposit first or request first. You cannot do a request first without a confirmed reservation.

GM600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld (Orlando)
Marriott’s Grande Vista
On the Marriott site never select to deposit, especially not Marriott deposit (ever). Always select to just book the reservation on your own. I made the mistake once of selecting owner deposit and never again. You do not want a human error prone individual to click buttons and mess things up.
Thanks for the info. So then I select occupy and pick my week.

That’s strange because the way that it explains it on the Marriott site I would lead me to think that I should select Owner Deposit because it describes it as “
Owner Deposit - I will reserve my week and deposit it with an exchange company. I choose to contact Interval International or another exchange company directly. If I choose to deposit with Interval International, I may choose to deposit my week as a Deposit First or a Request First deposit.
I understand that I must deposit my week at least 60 days prior to the check-in date in order to avoid late deposit restrictions.
A Deposit First gives me up to a three-year travel window and is best if I know I do not wish to visit my home resort.
A Request First gives me the security of retaining my home resort week until an acceptable exchange is confirmed. If I can't confirm an acceptable exchange, I'll use the week I've reserved myself.“

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. So then I select occupy and pick my week.

That’s strange because the way that it explains it on the Marriott site I would lead me to think that I should select Owner Deposit because it describes it as “
Owner Deposit - I will reserve my week and deposit it with an exchange company. I choose to contact Interval International or another exchange company directly. If I choose to deposit with Interval International, I may choose to deposit my week as a Deposit First or a Request First deposit.
I understand that I must deposit my week at least 60 days prior to the check-in date in order to avoid late deposit restrictions.
A Deposit First gives me up to a three-year travel window and is best if I know I do not wish to visit my home resort.
A Request First gives me the security of retaining my home resort week until an acceptable exchange is confirmed. If I can't confirm an acceptable exchange, I'll use the week I've reserved myself.“

It is inefficient nonsense. If you choose owner deposit but you have to contact II or some random exchange company what is the point? It is 1000% better to secure a normal fully owned reservation and then contact the exchange company separately. Honestly I don't even know why that option is there.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Owner Deposit saves some back end work by Marriott when you end up making the deposit. They assign a different confirmation number to your reservation than if you were to make an owner reservation. Owner Deposit prevents the rather confusing cancellation email when you make the deposit or place the ongoing search. I have reserve Owner Deposit before with no issues.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Owner Deposit saves some back end work by Marriott when you end up making the deposit. They assign a different confirmation number to your reservation than if you were to make an owner reservation. Owner Deposit prevents the rather confusing cancellation email when you make the deposit or place the ongoing search. I have reserve Owner Deposit before with no issues.
I have been confused by this option as well... Are you saying that we can safely pick the week we want to reserve and use Owner Deposit and the week will be deposited into II, without Marriott changing it out to a different week? In the past, I booked as "owner occupy". After that was done, I then went to II to put in the confirmation number.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

I do not receive any cancellation emails when i do a normal rez and then go to II to deposit. I think this happened a few times in the past but i think they changed it.

That is good to know that the option works well. My one and done experience was actually an owner deposit over the phone.

How fast does it occur? One thing i really like about doing it within II is that it is instant. You can grab an exchange right away while II and Marriott confirm the validity days later.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not receive any cancellation emails when i do a normal rez and then go to II to deposit. I think this happened a few times in the past but i think they changed it. ...

I've never gotten cancellation emails with II deposits, but it does show up as a cancelled reservation on my rewards account.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We can squeeze in to a studio, but I’d rather pay the upgrade fee and get something larger.

For this first trade I was trying to trade the 2 bedroom side.

I am new to II as well. My other timeshares are Hilton and trade through RCI.

I asked if you could use a studio ( and I mean you have the allowable number of people for the studio) because upsizing is not a given. Your trading power is lower with a studio so you will see less availability and you may, or may not see the upsize so you can’t count on it.

I’ll also add that what I have always done when depositing my Marriott week into II is exactly 12 months before the week I want (max TDI for the season)I call Marriott, reserve my week and say I want yo deposit into II. They transfer me over and I speak to II and get it done. I know I can do it online, but I have never had a long wait on the phone line.

I always deposit first. I believe I have read that gives more trading power on II, but I also know I’m not going to stay my week, I book max TDI.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never gotten cancellation emails with II deposits, but it does show up as a cancelled reservation on my rewards account.

I forgot about that. I looked and mine are not consistent. A couple show up as cancelled but the majority are not there. They just disappeared from my reservations without showing as cancelled.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have been confused by this option as well... Are you saying that we can safely pick the week we want to reserve and use Owner Deposit and the week will be deposited into II, without Marriott changing it out to a different week? In the past, I booked as "owner occupy". After that was done, I then went to II to put in the confirmation number.
If you select the "Owner Deposit" option, Marriott won't deposit your week for you. You still have to call II or deposit online. They just make a reservation and still provide you with a reservation number. You still get the week you actually reserved. The only time that Marriott actually does the deposit is if you choose "Marriott Deposit."

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you select the "Owner Deposit" option, Marriott won't deposit your week for you. You still have to call II or deposit online. They just make a reservation and still provide you with a reservation number. The only time that Marriott actually does the deposit is if you choose "Marriott Deposit."
... but do I get to specify the week then?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you specify the week.
... so it sounds like whenever I want to deposit to II I should be selecting "Owner Deposit". I had always selected Occupy... and thereafter went over to II and put in the confirmation number. So, Then what is the difference betweeen "Owner Deposit" and "Occupy"?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
... so it sounds like whenever I want to deposit to II I should be selecting "Owner Deposit". I had always selected Occupy... and thereafter went over to II and put in the confirmation number. So, Then what is the difference betweeen "Owner Deposit" and "Occupy"?

OCCUPY means you'd like to occupy your home resort week (has nothing to do with depositing for trade).
You should check DEPOSIT in you want to do a trade.

HOWEVER, I think it's best for you to CALL INTERVAL INT'L and do whatever transaction you desire with them on the phone so there's no misunderstanding. After a while, you'll learn the nuances of a trade transaction.

1-800-622-1747 ...Interval Int'l Marriott desk.

After 20+ years of ownership, I still make deposits by phone call myself, so I know it's done right, accurate dates, accurate resort week, etc., and they repeat it back to me. I'll also check it out online on Interval site later to make sure.

At your phone call you'll be discussing either "Deposit First with ongoing search",
or "Deposit only when trade week comes available" (ability to keep and occupy week if trade doesn't happen).

They will also answer any random questions for you.

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
OCCUPY means you'd like to occupy your home resort week (has nothing to do with depositing for trade).

HOWEVER, I think it's best for you to CALL INTERVAL INT'L and do whatever transaction you desire with them on the phone so there's no misunderstanding. After a while, you'll learn the nuances of a trade transaction.

After 20+ years of ownership, I still make deposits by phone call myself, so I know it's done right, accurate dates, accurate resort week, etc.

At your phone call you'll be discussing either "Deposit First with ongoing search",
or "Deposit only when trade week comes available" (ability to keep and occupy week if trade doesn't happen).

Make sure you know reservations made by phone are not error-proof as there is the human factor involved (you and the rep). Make sure all details are written down prior to the call and confirmed after the reservation is made but before you have up.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Make sure you know reservations made by phone are not error-proof as there is the human factor involved (you and the rep). Make sure all details are written down prior to the call and confirmed after the reservation is made but before you have up.

yes, you definitely have to have the rep repeat it back to you, then also visit II site later in 1-2 days to verify everything.
I added that to my post as an edit.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes, you definitely have to have the rep repeat it back to you, then also visit II site later in 1-2 days to verify everything.
I added that to my post as an edit.
I forgot to mention, one thing you cannot check online is if you made a request for a specific check-in day(s). This was the most recent error (this time, on II's part, unsure if it was a human or system error) I discovered on a booking made over the phone. I discovered this about a week after I made the reservation by calling into II to check the details.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

After 20+ years of ownership, I still make deposits by phone call myself, so I know it's done right, accurate dates, accurate resort week, etc., and they repeat it back to me. I'll also check it out online on Interval site later to make sure.

I have been doing this for the past 5 years, either online at 12 months or on the phone with a Marriott agent at 13 months. I stayed away from "Owner Deposit" because I was thinking that Marriott system or agent could just pick any week for me. Hence my question of Occupy vs. Owner Deposit. I have been using "Occupy" and then later go to II to put in the confirmation # to deposit.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I forgot to mention, one thing you cannot check online is if you made a request for a specific check-in day(s). This was the most recent error (this time, on II's part, unsure if it was a human or system error) I discovered on a booking made over the phone. I discovered this about a week after I made the reservation by calling into II to check the details.

Yes, when I have a specific check-in day, usually Sunday, which I do EVERY time we travel due to my office schedule, I see the variable dates they list online, which covers the other possible ck-in days (Thursday Fri Sat Sun when mine may only be Sunday).

For some reason they can only list the group of check-in days for that weekend, which is no problem.

At some point I call and see if the SPECIFIC single day I want is still listed as the ONLY possibility that will trigger the trade.
It always remains correct in their system for my purposes, even tho I see all the days listed.
Sometimes they'll call to see if I want to change to another day if it comes up, but I always say no.

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, when I have a specific check-in day, usually Sunday, which I do EVERY time we travel due to my office schedule, I see the variable dates they list online, which covers the other possible ck-in days (Thursday Fri Sat Sun when mine may only be Sunday).

For some reason they can only list the group of check-in days for that weekend, which is no problem.

At some point I call and see if the SPECIFIC single day I want is still listed as the ONLY possibility that will trigger the trade.
It always remains correct in their system for my purposes, even tho I see all the days listed.
Sometimes they'll call to see if I want to change to another day if it comes up, but I always say no.
On this note of specific day check-ins, I may have read/known before but have forgotten the details recently, the computer may still match you to the other normal days check-in (like if you asked for Saturday only, other normal check-in days could be Fri and Sun), it takes a human to check the specific day request. The past two nights, I got matched/confirmed on an OGS (presumably by a computer) when their offices were closed on Fri and Sun check-ins when I had specified for Saturday only.