• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New US - Mexican travel warnings

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We always rent a car when in Mexico - Cancun and Cabos.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Why don’t you ever rent a car in Mexico? Are there safety issues with driving in Mexico? Or some other reason? I am going to Cancun soon and we were wondering about renting a car or not.
The only real issues with driving a car in Mexico is getting pulled over and shaken down by shady cops. They tend to target tourists to try to extort money. Do a lot of reading about it before you rent a car there for the first time. There are ways to avoid it or not get ripped off. There are also scams with regards to filling up with gas that you also have to watch out for. DO NOT go uninformed. That said, we rented a car to drive from Cancun to Tulum and back and we were fine. Though the drive is stressful and you need to always be watching out for constantly changing speed limits and topes (Speed Bumps). While the road is in good shape, the constant changes in speed limits and topes makes it more stressful than it really should be. You also need to watch out for people trying to run you over when you are going the speed limit.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to read good news about Mazatlan. We were there a few years ago and it was a bit scary. We heard gun shots from our hotel room and saw where dead bodies had been thrown through the window of the US consulate office. You just couldn't ignore the gang presence. It didn't ruin our vacation but it didn't make for a relaxing visit either.

I really loved our visits to San Jose de Cabo but hesitate to go back right now. We opted for Florida instead but maybe another year...

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Hope I am not bringing us bad luck but we have never had an issue with Mexican Police in Cabo or Cancun. We have started our second week in Cabo. No worries about safety. We have been shopping and walking around town. The Mexican Navy has been given responsibility for Security of Baja California Sur. So you do see Armed Mexican Marines and more Federal Police.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We always rent a car when in Mexico - Cancun and Cabos.

Hi, when you rent cars in Mexico, do you decline the CDW coverage and get coverage thru your credit card? Ever had problems with car rental agency saying you caused minor damage, such as scratches? We have tentative plans to go to Los Cabos in November, and would like to rent a car. Thanks!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, when you rent cars in Mexico, do you decline the CDW coverage and get coverage thru your credit card? Ever had problems with car rental agency saying you caused minor damage, such as scratches? We have tentative plans to go to Los Cabos in November, and would like to rent a car. Thanks!
Knowing what I know, I'd buy the offered Mexican 3rd party insurance. ymmv.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in Mazatlan and feel very comfortable here.We have been coming here 30 years. But today I was given pause. We were at a classical concert in the 1880s historic theatre, and the Canadian gentleman seated beside me, a condo owner, said that a fellow Albertan had just bought and moved into their condo complex. They had just been there a couple of weeks and decided to do some exploring. They, and another Mexican couple took off up the new toll, 4 lane expressway to Durango. After about an hour, they were surrounded by 4 vehicles of gun carrying thugs. They were robbed of all their money, jewelry, and the month-old pickup they were in. They were taken out into the woods, with guns aimed at them, and if course feared for their lives. A passing motorist alerted the Federales, who rescued them. The thieves took all their money, jewelry, electronics and pickup and fled. The Canadians only had short term insurance, and the guy I talked to has never heard of a successful claim against insurance. Obviously, a vehicle is not worth your life, and on a patrolled toll road, one would expect to be safe, but this example makes one think. I'd be very confused/upset if I'd recently bought real estate somewhere I didn't feel safe using. Color me very conflicted

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is always a hotly debated topic on this and other forums. Technically your credit card CDW will cover your rental in Mexico. There is howerver mandatory third party liability, of which the minimum should be covered in the base rate. However, they will push to upgrade you to higher third party coverage which you really should take. Also, if you stick with your credit card CDW, the rental agency is very likely to hit you with a very large (couple thousand dollar) hold on your credit card when you decline their agency CDW.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are in Mazatlan and feel very comfortable here.We have been coming here 30 years. But today I was given pause. We were at a classical concert in the 1880s historic theatre, and the Canadian gentleman seated beside me, a condo owner, said that a fellow Albertan had just bought and moved into their condo complex. They had just been there a couple of weeks and decided to do some exploring. They, and another Mexican couple took off up the new toll, 4 lane expressway to Durango. After about an hour, they were surrounded by 4 vehicles of gun carrying thugs. They were robbed of all their money, jewelry, and the month-old pickup they were in. They were taken out into the woods, with guns aimed at them, and if course feared for their lives. A passing motorist alerted the Federales, who rescued them. The thieves took all their money, jewelry, electronics and pickup and fled. The Canadians only had short term insurance, and the guy I talked to has never heard of a successful claim against insurance. Obviously, a vehicle is not worth your life, and on a patrolled toll road, one would expect to be safe, but this example makes one think. I'd be very confused/upset if I'd recently bought real estate somewhere I didn't feel safe using. Color me very conflicted
Jim

OMG!! So fortunate those people were not injured.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is always a hotly debated topic on this and other forums. Technically your credit card CDW will cover your rental in Mexico. There is howerver mandatory third party liability, of which the minimum should be covered in the base rate. However, they will push to upgrade you to higher third party coverage which you really should take. Also, if you stick with your credit card CDW, the rental agency is very likely to hit you with a very large (couple thousand dollar) hold on your credit card when you decline their agency CDW.

Hmm, I will need to research more on third party liability. I think best we take the car rental coverage in Mexico if we do rent a car. (On our Ireland trip, we will use our Chase Reserve credit card for CDW, and know they will put a hold/charge of a few thousand euros. My Irish friend has done this for several trips, and usually sticks to the US based rental agencies.)

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Jim

Maybe I’m too cynical, but it strikes me as very bad judgment to go exploring wearing jewelry in a brand new pick up. I’ve lived overseas for a number of years, including in southern Italy near where the Camorra runs things, and learned to blend in and avoid high risk attention drawing behaviors. The story is an awful but avoidable one.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m too cynical, but it strikes me as very bad judgment to go exploring wearing jewelry in a brand new pick up. I’ve lived overseas for a number of years, including in southern Italy near where the Camorra runs things, and learned to blend in and avoid high risk attention drawing behaviors. The story is an awful but avoidable one.
Maybe. I didn't ask for an appraisal on the jewelry. Maybe it was a $15 Timex like I wear. And if what you drive is a new pickup, that's what you take on a road trip. I agree about blending in, but fer crissakes they were on Federal Toll Road! There is no good answer, and the subject elicits response on TUG whenever Mexico safety is brought up. I'm just the messenger.

Jim

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Never had a problem with a Rental Company trying to claim damage from a minor scratch. We decline the additional insurance. It costs a lot more than the car rental. We have a car right now for less than $55 per week. Some of the rental companies will not rent to you if you decline. From talking to locals and Expats the Car Rental Companies are required to have the Insurance they are trying to get you to buy. The Expats and locals pay about $500 per year. So the Car Rental Companies are making a huge profit by convincing the tourists to buy the insurance.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Never had a problem with a Rental Company trying to claim damage from a minor scratch. We decline the additional insurance. It costs a lot more than the car rental. We have a car right now for less than $55 per week. Some of the rental companies will not rent to you if you decline. From talking to locals and Expats the Car Rental Companies are required to have the Insurance they are trying to get you to buy. The Expats and locals pay about $500 per year. So the Car Rental Companies are making a huge profit by convincing the tourists to buy the insurance.

Good to know. Could you tell us what car rental companies you would use in Los Cabos, particularly at the airport? PM me if you prefer. Thanks!!
In another thread, I think on Marriott forum, someone mentioned renting used SUVs from an ex-Pat in Cabo San Lucas area.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
This is not an advertisement. We always use Hertz. We Book the Car Online bfore we leave the USA. Let the Car Rental Company know your flight info.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Why don’t you ever rent a car in Mexico? Are there safety issues with driving in Mexico? Or some other reason? I am going to Cancun soon and we were wondering about renting a car or not.

Generally there is no need - inexpensive taxis & great local bus system (s)

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Myan Palace, Orange lake Country Club
In 2015 We rented a piece of crap Jeep with manual transmission in Cozumel and drove all around the island exploring and stopping at local restaurants. We did the same last Nov.
We usually rented a car at Vidanta RM to drive into Cancun for beach, party and restaurants.
We normally bus or cab into playa Del Carmen.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

We drive about 4 weeks a year in Mexico and use the American Express rental car protection in place of buying the CDW. The rental agency will place a hold on the car for about $2500 until you bring it back. I always take pictures and a video of the car. I like Avis the most because their cars are newer and they do provide the 3rd party liability insurance in their rate. Avis in Cabo has a compact mini van that I really like.

I have brought back an almost brand new car to Avis with a small golf ball sized and shaped dent on the front fender. The Avis manager looked at it and let it pass. It was a pretty obvious dent.

I have rented through Budget and their car was high mileage with scratches and dents. I took pictures and when I returned they tried to charge me for a new wheel because of a crease in the side. I looked at the pictures and the crease was all ready there. It was very small. When I arrived Budget tried to force me to buy all of their insurance for 20 minutes. They finally let me rent the car using my AMEX. I haven't been back.

I have had good luck with Alamo at times. Alamo will require you to purchase their 3rd party insurance but their total rate and quality of cars is similar to Avis.

Cabo is pretty easy driving conditions. I remember back when driving in the Cabo area was dirt roads, right frontage to turn left and huge speed bumps. I think the only right frontage road to turn left is the one we use to get to Costco.

Cancun has the many roundabouts that can get confusing when driving in heavy traffic.

PV has many right side frontage roads to turn left which can be confusing.

I have donated to the police in all of these places at least once. In Cabo it was years ago and I was speeding. I offered $10 but it cost about $20. PV was parking in a yellow curb area and costed $10. Cancun was 2 years ago and I was pulled over for nothing other than being a tourist as far as I can tell. They wanted $50 but eventually took $30. In Cancun they tried the not enough paid for gas and even though I know I paid the guy the right amount, he pocketed $100 pesos. The Cancun flea market did the same and got $5.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There were over 25,000 murders in Mexico last year. That does seem like a very high number. I'm not certain how many tourists get caught up in the violence but its probably some. I haven't seen the violence personally, but I do know of a few people that were related to, or friends of, people I know very well, that were victims of violence. So it does happen.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ence-after-record-25000-murders-idUSKBN1FH0W2

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican officials said on Sunday the government was set to unleash a new wave of troops to crack down on criminal groups in regions where a surge in violence led to more than 25,000 murders last year.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There were over 25,000 murders in Mexico last year. That does seem like a very high number. I'm not certain how many tourists get caught up in the violence but its probably some. I haven't seen the violence personally, but I do know of a few people that were related to, or friends of, people I know very well, that were victims of violence. So it does happen.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ence-after-record-25000-murders-idUSKBN1FH0W2

Bill
It seems the rate is about four times that in the US. About twice as many murders with only half the population.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It seems the rate is about four times that in the US. About twice as many murders with only half the population.

Yes, the murder rate is very high in Mexico. Compared to war torn Syria, Mexico has over twice the amount of deaths due to violence at over 25,0000 victims in 2017 compared to Syria at over 11,000 in 2017.

Interestingly though, it is not the tourists that have been targeted. It looks like the gang activity that has made Acapulco a place to avoid has expanded to Cancun and Baja where there have been cartel murder victims found in the middle of tourist areas.

What we did notice at the flea markets in Puerto Vallarta this January was a public sentiment that was some what bad regarding the USA. There were many vendors selling politicized items that disparage the USA. Very hateful slogans on shirts and other items that are anti USA. I haven't ever seen this in the past. Also in Puerto Vallarta, our group was followed by sketchy looking men from the parking garage area, to the flea market and then to the Cathedral.

https://nypost.com/2017/08/12/drug-cartel-violence-hits-tourist-hotspots-cancun-los-cabos/

[QUOTE
Drug cartel violence hits tourist hotspots Cancun, Los Cabos
][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I am in Cancun/Riviera Maya now. My friend and I (we are both quintessential American-looking females) rented a car for 3 days to visit Xcaret, Xel Ha and Fifth Ave in Playa del Carmen. We had absolutely no problems driving back and forth up to 1.5 hours each day from the furthest end in Cancun. We passed through many police checks and they never stopped us. There are police everywhere and they do not seem to bother anyone without reason. It feels safe. I also noticed very few Americans in the places we visited. For the first time in my life, most Mexicans asked me if I speak Spanish. Since I do, they were speaking to me in Spanish. I felt honored by this and they seemed respected because I was willing to talk in Spanish, even though they also speak English. I feel Mexico is changing a lot and the Mexican middle class is growing. Also, commercial development appears to be expanding in Riviera Maya. We were surprised at the many commercial developments and professional small businesses. It is not just a tourist destination anymore.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Yes, the murder rate is very high in Mexico. Compared to war torn Syria, Mexico has over twice the amount of deaths due to violence at over 25,0000 victims in 2017 compared to Syria at over 11,000 in 2017.

Interestingly though, it is not the tourists that have been targeted. It looks like the gang activity that has made Acapulco a place to avoid has expanded to Cancun and Baja where there have been cartel murder victims found in the middle of tourist areas.

What we did notice at the flea markets in Puerto Vallarta this January was a public sentiment that was some what bad regarding the USA. There were many vendors selling politicized items that disparage the USA. Very hateful slogans on shirts and other items that are anti USA. I haven't ever seen this in the past. Also in Puerto Vallarta, our group was followed by sketchy looking men from the parking garage area, to the flea market and then to the Cathedral.

https://nypost.com/2017/08/12/drug-cartel-violence-hits-tourist-hotspots-cancun-los-cabos/

[QUOTE
Drug cartel violence hits tourist hotspots Cancun, Los Cabos
]
[/QUOTE]

What is the murder rate per capita in Mexico vs Syria? You can’t compare total numbers.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

Jim

Wow, what a scary story! I just googled the trip from Mazatlan to Durango. It is a pretty long drive outside of a major tourist area - 3.5 hours. While I have always felt safe in Mexico (see my other post in this thread), we stay within the tourist zones. We have never traveled between major cities/towns for exactly this reason. Sinaloa State has the highest warning from the State Dept but they have exempted Mazatlan from the warning. So I assume if you stay in the Mazatlan area, most folks will be okay.