• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New owner, not sure i did the right thing

Pearlsvaca19

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just bought in August 2018 and already having a hard time trying to reserve something.
Inquired about selling it back, but they will only give me 1/3 of the price minus fees. It is a brand new Hilton grand timeshare, just need a few pointers to see whether I should sale or try to keep. Thanks ahead of time for any information.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
What resort did you purchase?

What are you trying to reserve?

How far in advance are you trying to make your reservation?

These data points will help us answer your question.

Last edited:

Pearlsvaca19

TUG Member
Reaction score
What resort did you purchase? Ocean Enclave

What are your trying to reserve? Ocean Enclave, Myrtle Beach

How far in advance are you trying to make your reservation? Tried starting in February for the end of April, 1st of May
we had family coming in from Germany during that time frame and wanted to take them to the beach. Most of May is biker week in Myrtle Beach
and not the best time to visit. Wish I had researched this before I purchased.

These data points will help us answer your question.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
HGVC is a great system but unless you are going to Vegas or Orlando one needs to plan months in advance to ensure you get what you want. Prime dates, including those with popular events, will be tough to book unless you plan way ahead.

Pearlsvaca19

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC is a great system but unless you are going to Vegas or Orlando one needs to plan months in advance to ensure you get what you want. Prime dates, including those with popular events, will be tough to book unless you plan way ahead.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, so you really need to have a plan and be ready at open season if you're not going to your home resort. But do you think in the long run with all the fees is it worth the money? Still trying to decide to keep or sale.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, so you really need to have a plan and be ready at open season if you're not going to your home resort. But do you think in the long run with all the fees is it worth the money? Still trying to decide to keep or sale.
You might as well try to keep it and use it at this point. The 1/3 that Hilton is offering is the highest you can expect to sell. If you are not selling to Hilton, it has to be paid off completely and depending on the MF and the points you get it is worth $0-maybe $5000 if it is a platinum week with very low MF's. Without know specifics, probably in the $0-1000 range.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

I agree to keep it at this point. How many points to you have? What places/resorts do you want to visit? Can you plan up to a year in advance? I think that most people are able to book what they want but they also have to be a little flexible at times too. If you are a late planner, you may still find some options for you but it may be your 2nd, 3rd or 4th option. Check often as something may pop up as people can cancel right up to 30 days before checkin with no loss of points.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The KEY to successful timeshare use is to have a plan, and book popular (read: Summer & school holiday) weeks as far in advance as you can. I think HGVC is about a year ahead of move-in. No matter the system, by about 90-45 days before move-in, they are pretty much fully booked. Closer than that, all that's left is left-overs, like mud season in ski resorts, winter at the beach, or units with a view of the dumpsters or parking lot.

As stated above- you are committed now. You have already lost most of what you spent, so you may as well stick around TUG and learn to get the most from it.

I see you became a paid member (Thanks!), so you now have access to the reviews of resorts by TUGgers, as well as last minute sightings. Yes, there is a learning curve, and unfortunately this first lesson may be the most important. Start Early. And since you are also an RCI member through the HGVC portal, you can also book RCI units. You would have to chat with an HGVC counselor about how many points you have and what that would translate to on the RCI side.

Good Luck, & Welcome to TUG!

Jim

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
And one more thing, HGVC has been holding Club Workshops at different locales as well as Webinars to help educate owners. There is no cost and it would be worth your time to participate in one or both of these to get comfortable with the systems. Heck, you might even win something!

A couple of threads pertaining to these are below.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...education-workshop.261074/page-3#post-2256223

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...binars-are-now-available.288572/#post-2268938

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Is it paid off?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Then I would second the advice above. Put what you paid out of your mind and stick around and learn how to maximize your enjoyment of what you own.

But it is not a cut-and-dry decision. If the current value is really $0-1000 like some speculate, and would you net significantly more than you might be better off taking the exit offer. Particularly if timesharing is a poor fit for how you vacation or your life.

Either way - thanks for joining TUG.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
HGVC has open season. Did you check to see any availability? I did see availability through the site for May.

We own in San Diego and like using Open Season for Getaways. It’s way cheaper to “rent TS” for a family of 7. Also HGVC will rent rooms.