• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Marriott Rewards Property Categories and Travel Package Requirements effective Aug '18

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
As long as you have an existing reservation with the certificate attached, you are golden. The issue will be for those with issued certificates that are just sitting in their account not attached to a reservation.
I have 4 unattached certs. If they give back points, I'll leave them unattached. I did it purely for the air miles (had 1 already, "purchased" 3 additional 2 weeks ago) and wanted to maximize them before the devaluation on Aug 1. I almost called and asked if I could get any points returned by canceling the hotel portion. Maybe I'll be TUG's guinea pig for unattached certs and report back what happens.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I have 4 unattached certs. If they give back points, I'll leave them unattached. I did it purely for the air miles (had 1 already, "purchased" 3 additional 2 weeks ago) and wanted to maximize them before the devaluation on Aug 1. I almost called and asked if I could get any points returned by canceling the hotel portion. Maybe I'll be TUG's guinea pig for unattached certs and report back what happens.

I would wait a while after the change on 8/1/18 before trying to get points back from the ACs. I would even consider extending them another year (which I am speculating can still be done based on past practice). This would put the 'big' program change pretty far back in the rear view mirror and increase the odds of getting points back IMHO. Good luck and do report back whenever you do attempt this.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who do/will have a Category 7 travel package AC to book by 7/31/18, take a look at these properties. While currently a Category 7 (35k MRP per night), they will be jumping to 50k MRP per night on 8/1/18 (and mapping to the new Cat 6). That is a 60k MRP increase over a 5 night stay.

Fairfield Inn & Suites Virgin Zion National Park Fairfield Inn USA 35,000 to 50,000
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Diego Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 35,000 50,000
Marriott's Cypress Harbour Villas Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 35,000 50,000
Marriott's Fairway Villas Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 35,000 50,000
Marriott's Imperial Palms Villas Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 35,000 50,000
Marriott's Marbella Beach Resort Marriott Vacation Club Intl Spain 35,000 50,000
Marriott's Royal Palms Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 35,000 50,000
Marriott's Sabal Palms Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 35,000 50,000
Marriott's St. Kitts Beach Club Marriott Vacation Club Intl Saint Kitts and Nevis 35,000 50,000
SpringHill Suites Springdale Zion National Park SpringHill Suites USA 35,000 50,000

For those who do/will have a Category 8 travel package AC to book by 7/31/18, take a look at these properties. While currently a Category 8 (40k MRP per night), they will be jumping to 60k MRP per night on 8/1/18 (and mapping to the new Cat 7). That is an 80k MRP increase over a 5 night stay.

Marriott's Kauai Lagoons - Kalanipu'u Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 40,000 60,000
Marriott's Newport Coast Villas Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 40,000 60,000
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 40,000 60,000
Marriott’s Waikoloa Ocean Club Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 40,000 60,000

There is a long list of Category 8 properties that will also be jumping up 10k from 40k to 50k MRP on 8/1/18 (mapping to the new Cat 6).

My link may help you out. Go to column F and sort. You can see the biggest changes there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18FzZIgto3Ms8CrV3caJOpuhbMFIiWtcYldO5Uon31ec/edit?usp=sharing

J22Frosty

Reaction score
Thought this needed its own thread, I also posted in the main merger one. Mods: adjust accordingly.

New Charts:

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change

New Packages:

https://lacek.hs.llnwd.net/e1/marriott/redemption/HAR18036_TravelPackages_Chart2.pdf

A cursory check of a few properties indicates what MR told us...some go up, some go down, though for an example like Orlando, there are roughly triple the number of downs vs. ups. And the 35K value of a the free night on the MRCC is MUCH more valuable than the current Cat 5 one...lots more options.

I have 2 questions:

1. Where can you find the NEW PACKAGES on the Marriott web site? I contacted the Marriott Rewards & the lady I spoke to could not find the new packages and I could not either.

As you said, the increase for the higher category hotels is astronomical! If I am reading the before/after charts correctly, the points need for a 7 night package at a Category 8 hotel goes up from 290,000 to 675,000 points! Could that be right?

2. 5 Night Packages

It seems that everyone thinks the 5 Night Packages are a better deal. Currently a 5 night package is 230,000 for a Category 8 hotel. I think the 7 Night Package is a better deal (as long as you want to stay 7 nights). What am I missing?

P.S. A Marriott Rewards rep told me this about the 5 Night Package (650T) in an email, "However to answer your question they are getting rid of it. They have yet to tell us what they are replacing it with. But we are sure it will be a better package if not the same, with a different name."

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have 2 questions:

1. Where can you find the NEW PACKAGES on the Marriott web site? I contacted the Marriott Rewards & the lady I spoke to could not find the new packages and I could not either.

As you said, the increase for the higher category hotels is astronomical! If I am reading the before/after charts correctly, the points need for a 7 night package at a Category 8 hotel goes up from 290,000 to 675,000 points! Could that be right?

2. 5 Night Packages

It seems that everyone thinks the 5 Night Packages are a better deal. Currently a 5 night package is 230,000 for a Category 8 hotel. I think the 7 Night Package is a better deal (as long as you want to stay 7 nights). What am I missing?

P.S. A Marriott Rewards rep told me this about the 5 Night Package (650T) in an email, "However to answer your question they are getting rid of it. They have yet to tell us what they are replacing it with. But we are sure it will be a better package if not the same, with a different name."

1. I don't think they will 'publish' them on the Marriott website until they take effect. A link that someone was able to get their hands on and provide for TUG users is in the original post. We're lucky to get a 'peek' into what lies ahead (and have the opportunity to plan ahead how best to respond based on our individual needs).

2. The advantage of 5 night packages is that you are 'paying' for 4 nights and getting the 5th night free. With a 7 night package, you are paying for 6 nights and getting 1 free. The average MRP cost per night of accommodation is lower using a 5 night package. Consider a Category 6 property currently costing 30k MRP per night:

5 Night Accommodation Certificate - 120k MRP total with an average cost of 24k MRP per night stayed.
7 Night Accommodation Certificate - 180k MRP total with an average cost of 25,700 MRP per night stayed.

Over the course of a 7 night stay, that extra average of 1,700 MRP per night will add up to close to 12,000 MRP more than you would for a 5 night stay at the same property. Likely not a deal breaker for anyone, but a free night somewhere with those saved points in a Category 1 or just about a Category 2 property is still a free night. I guess the take away could be if you are going somewhere for 7 nights, you may want to consider stringing two 5 night packages together (since the lowest averages occur in 5 night increments).

P.S. - If what you were told is true about Marriott getting rid of 5 night packages that will be the scariest thing I have heard today.

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just had a chat with an MVCI representative. She could not confirm that 5 night Travel Packages will be available after 8/1/18. All she could confirm was that any 5 night Travel Package purchased before 8/1/18 would still be honored.

Attachments

• MVCI Chat 071218.pdf
    110.7 KB · Views: 47

jeff76543

TUG Member
Reaction score
However what does "still be honored" mean?

It would be nice if an authoritative Marriott source would clearly state that (at a minimum) an unattached 5 day hotel certificate from a travel package that currently is good at a hotel that requires x number of rewards points per day today will be valid for 5 days at a hotel that requires the same x number of reward points per day after August 1st (even if the reward level has changed). For example, that today's level 7 hotel certificate (35,000 MRP's per night) will become a new level 5 hotel certificate (35,000 MRP's per night after the new hotel levels go into effect in August). This would eliminate the possibility that on August 1st Marriott would "cash out" and return only what it deems to be the point value of an unattached 5 day hotel award from a travel package - which is only a fraction of the point value of a 5 day hotel stay. For example, it has been stated by some that until now when a 5 day, level 7 hotel reward certificate from a travel package is cancelled at a Marriott account member's request, only 45,000 MRP's are returned rather than 140,000 MRP's, which would be the regular value of a 5 day, level 7 hotel reward certificate that was not a part of a travel package.

I don't think that anyone has reported a definite response from a Marriott representative that clarifies the policy that Marriott will adopt as of August 1st with unattached hotel certificates from travel packages.

tompk

TUG Member
Reaction score
5 Night Accommodation Certificate - 120k MRP total with an average cost of 24k MRP per night stayed.
7 Night Accommodation Certificate - 180k MRP total with an average cost of 30k MRP per night stayed.

There is some bad math in the above which I copied from an earlier post above, 120k/5 does = 24k per night but 180k/7 does not = 30k per night. Closer to 25.7k per night which is still pretty good for a 30k per night hotel and gives you a full week of vacation.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep, lots of difference. The biggest increase is the Domes of Elounda in Greece, +40,000! The San Francisco St Regis ties for the biggest decrease, -30,000. If you sort on that column, there are 35 full pages of decreases, at 100 per page. There are 21 full pages of increases. The rest remain the same.

Just for fun I tried to look for availability at Domes of Elounda. A room for 4 adults/teens is bookable for 7 nights only until 10/25/18. It is sold out from then on through June of 2019 (which is as far as the reservation window currently goes on Marriott.com).

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
7 Night Accommodation Certificate - 180k MRP total with an average cost of 30k MRP per night stayed.

There is some bad math in the above which I copied from an earlier post above, 120k/5 does = 24k per night but 180k/7 does not = 30k per night. Closer to 25.7k per night which is still pretty good for a 30k per night hotel and gives you a full week of vacation.

Good catch. I only divided by the 6 nights paid for, as opposed to the full 7 night stay. I have corrected/amended my previous post. Thanks.

jeff76543

TUG Member
Reaction score
Domes of Elounda closes for the winter, like many tourist hotels in Crete, which usually close from the end of October until at least a few days before Easter. I read on FT that Domes of Elounda opens its reservations for 2019 only at the end of August 2018.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Domes of Elounda closes for the winter, like many tourist hotels in Crete, which usually close from the end of October until at least a few days before Easter. I read on FT that Domes of Elounda opens its reservations for 2019 only at the end of August 2018.

Thanks for that info. From the photos it looks like a great property. I had no idea they have up to 3BR residences. Mamma Mia!

mmthemovie-edit.jpg

jeff76543

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a beautiful location.

There is a long thread on Domes of Elounda in FT that is worth reading. It includes lots of travel reports from people who stayed there. Crete is a wonderful place to vacation.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For those who do/will have a Category 6 travel package AC to book by 7/31/18, take a look at this property. While it is currently a Category 6 (30k MRP per night), it will be jumping to 50k MRP per night on 8/1/18 (and mapping to the new Cat 6). That is an 80k MRP increase over a 5 night stay.

Marriott's Club Son Antem Marriott Vacation Club Intl Spain 30,000 to 50,000 - New Cat 6

For those who do/will have a Category 7 travel package AC to book by 7/31/18, take a look at these properties. While currently a Category 7 (35k MRP per night), they will be jumping to 50k MRP per night on 8/1/18 (and mapping to the new Cat 6). That is a 60k MRP increase over a 5 night stay.

Fairfield Inn & Suites Virgin Zion National Park Fairfield Inn USA 35,000 to 50,000
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Diego Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 35,000 50,000
Marriott's Cypress Harbour Villas Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 35,000 50,000
Marriott's Fairway Villas Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 35,000 50,000
Marriott's Imperial Palms Villas Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 35,000 50,000
Marriott's Marbella Beach Resort Marriott Vacation Club Intl Spain 35,000 50,000
Marriott's Royal Palms Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 35,000 50,000
Marriott's Sabal Palms Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 35,000 50,000
Marriott's St. Kitts Beach Club Marriott Vacation Club Intl Saint Kitts and Nevis 35,000 50,000
SpringHill Suites Springdale Zion National Park SpringHill Suites USA 35,000 50,000

For those who do/will have a Category 8 travel package AC to book by 7/31/18, take a look at these properties. While currently a Category 8 (40k MRP per night), they will be jumping to 60k MRP per night on 8/1/18 (and mapping to the new Cat 7). That is an 80k MRP increase over a 5 night stay.

Marriott's Kauai Lagoons - Kalanipu'u Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 40,000 60,000
Marriott's Newport Coast Villas Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 40,000 60,000
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 40,000 60,000
Marriott’s Waikoloa Ocean Club Marriott Vacation Club Intl USA 40,000 60,000

There is a long list of Category 8 properties that will also be jumping up 10k from 40k to 50k MRP on 8/1/18 (mapping to the new Cat 6).

These aren't nearlly the big increase that you are thinking. Many of those properties don't have studio/hotel units. The old pricing was based on a hotel size unit and to actually book a 2BR with points it would have cost an additional 10,000 points (5,000x2 upgrade certs) So a property that was 40,000 would have actually cost you 50,000. The new point levels are priced correctly based on the actual smallest unit available at the property. So for Kauai Lagoons, it is priced at 60,000 where the old price was really 50,000 (you were never able to book Kauai Lagoons for only 40,000.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These aren't nearlly the big increase that you are thinking. Many of those properties don't have studio/hotel units. The old pricing was based on a hotel size unit and to actually book a 2BR with points it would have cost an additional 10,000 points (5,000x2 upgrade certs) So a property that was 40,000 would have actually cost you 50,000. The new point levels are priced correctly based on the actual smallest unit available at the property. So for Kauai Lagoons, it is priced at 60,000 where the old price was really 50,000 (you were never able to book Kauai Lagoons for only 40,000.

For the MVCI properties, agreed. I was only looking at the change from an overall category perspective. The changes are more substantial for the non-MVCI properties.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any new info on the mapping? It looks like all the categories from 6-9 are really dropping down two levels give or take. I cannot imagine buying a cat 7 package and being able to use it to reserve a new cat 7 category. I just don't see them doing that. That said, is there any harm is buying the highest category packages and then seeing how it plays out? Is there any downside to that, besides not being able to get as many packages before 8/1?

I am sitting on 1,064,000 points. I am leaning towards doing four Cat 6 packages. If I go any higher in cat, then it drops to only 3 packages. Unless I buy SPG points on my DW and transfer them. Then I could do four Cat 7 packages.

I have never redeemed for a travel package so I am looking for advice. I definitely want to do them before 8/1.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could do 3 cat5's and 1 cat9, or 3 cat6's and 1 cat 8. If 5-night packages go away then I don't know if they will be able to change the categories anymore.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could do 3 cat5's and 1 cat9, or 3 cat6's and 1 cat 8. If 5-night packages go away then I don't know if they will be able to change the categories anymore.
First, I assume you are maximizing the miles (for me, 132,000 United and 120,000 Alaska are most useful). Marriott’s past practices have been very flexible with the “nights” portion.
Forgive me if I am stating things you already know, but I hope this is helpful to others too. You could upgrade or downgrade categories, and extend for a year from that date (or from simply requesting an extension). I think many of us are waiting for notification of changes in August. I have just bought two TPs, Cat 8 and 9. I will likely buy a few more (still have over 2mm points), but will wait until I know if they devalue the 5 night TPs similarly to the 7 nighters. Some are also hedging by actually reserving stays with the plans to use them or perhaps protect themselves from Marriott simply refunding a small number of points and canceling the “nights” portion of the TPs. Of course, the miles are already safely moved. This forum is great, as together we can maximize our knowledge and avoid disappointment. Cheers.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to maximize miles but I will also use at least two of the 5-nights, although not until Sep 2019, so I will need to extend. For me I think Delta is going to work better, even though it is probably harder to maximize the value since they do not have a standardized redemption chart. I am in Orlando and prefer non-stop flights if possible and Delta has more from here (from what I can tell so far), including some to Europe.

We do not know for sure that we would be able to change the category on the certification after 8/1. If new 5-nights are eliminated altogether, a rep will not be able to cancel the old and issue a new one. I am sure they would be able to cancel and give points back, if pushed, which should be close enough if we can still book 4 nights and get the 5th for free.

jewls

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Custom House Boston
My head is spinning. It looks like I should be getting a 5 day cert. How many airline miles do I get? I have no idea where or when I want to go. It also sounds like I should book a reservation for the hotel portion before 8/1....correct? Any simple suggestions would be appreciated. We only have 450,000 points & I would like to maximize them.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My head is spinning. It looks like I should be getting a 5 day cert. How many airline miles do I get? I have no idea where or when I want to go. It also sounds like I should book a reservation for the hotel portion before 8/1....correct? Any simple suggestions would be appreciated. We only have 450,000 points & I would like to maximize them.

You get up to 120,000 miles, or 132,000 on united. I would buy SPG points and transfer them to Marriott to get you enough for two packages. You only need 20,000 more points.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone consider buying a TP, booking a location you really think you want to go to before 8.1 and then trying to just change the dates of the reservation to keep the 5 night certificate undisturbed?

For example,
  • Marriott Pulse San Diego is going from current Cat7 (35k MRPs) to new Cat6 (50k MRPs) after 8.1
  • I think I want to stay 5 nights there in 2019, but not sure when.
  • If I buy a 5 night Cat7 TP, I get 120k Delta miles for 270k MRPs
  • If I book a random 5 nights in 2019, I am good to go and "kinda" getting 120k Delta miles for only 70k MRPs
    • 50k/nt for 4 nights (5th night free) = 200k
  • Real question is, do I have a better chance of the 5 night OLD Cat7 cert "sticking" with the reservation if I just change from my randomly selected nights to 5 straight available nights at the same location than?
    • I am assuming if the cert doesn't get attached anywhere before 8.1, I'll get whatever "conversion" Marriott thinks is appropriate
    • I am also assuming if I tried to move the cert attached to the random dates at a property other than the Marriott Pulse San Diego, it will result in a cancellation of the cert and a reissue of it at the conversion value mentioned above
    • Just asking if changing dates only at the same location might not trigger that cancel and reissue at converted value exchange.
  • Of course, if they map OLD Cat7 certs to NEW Cat6 certs (which I don't think they'll do, I think OLD Cat7 certs will get mapped to NEW Cat5 certs), this is an academic inquiry b/c I can then book the Marriott Pulse San Diego whenever available with the cert.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
https://owners.marriottvacationclub.com/timeshare/mvco/marriottRewardsOwnerSpecials
You could then get two TPs with the Category and Airlines you prefer. Generally, I suggest maximizing the miles and taking lower rated hotels. You can change later. Ymmv. Cheers.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
As Marriott Gold members, we get room upgrades if/when they are available. If we are using hotel certificates from TPs, is that still a possiblity? Or will they keep us in the category of the certificate no matter what?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
As Marriott Gold members, we get room upgrades if/when they are available. If we are using hotel certificates from TPs, is that still a possiblity? Or will they keep us in the category of the certificate no matter what?

My experience indicates that Marriott can still upgrade you if a better room is available, even if reserved through a TP certificate.

Status
Not open for further replies.