• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New 2018 Marriott/SPG credit cards - Deadlines AMEX 8/25/18 and VISA 12/31/18

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I couldn't get a straight answer when I called Chase so I decided to close my Marriott card. They offered a $50 credit to keep the account open. I'll be applying for the new card next week as she says that it may take a couple of days for the info to process through the whole system. Looking forward to the 100k bonus points as $5k in 3 months is a piece of cake. If anyone is struggling for ideas on what to spend it on, pay your MF fees a little earlier.

The Chase Reps for Marriott are not well versed in the details of the promotion.
I don't really need my Marriott Chase card for some time until SPG Amex is no good in August so I do plan on waiting 60 days to renew just to be safe. I also don't have a problem with spending $5k in 3 months with a son heading to college but if i sign up my wife and daughter as well that is more of a stretch so was thinking of prepaying MFs as well.

I just cancelled my daughter's card. She really is accumulating a nice points total just with these sign-on bonuses. When she was 18 I got her the Marriott Visa so she could get the 80k sign up points. Then did the SPG Amex for another 75k and now this 100k will pad her account nicely. Already she has close to 300k points. Now she already has a honeymoon Marriott travel package worth of points.

I recently read a story about how most people get confused by travel award programs. I couldn't understand that because for me it's like shooting fish in a barrel and over the years the free travel value we've received by managing our travel programs to the max has to be $25k if not more.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I have had my card for 9 years. The upgrade offer was only 10K.

Same here. I have had the card for many years. My upgrade offer was also only 10k. I passed. Will consider canceling and applying for a new card once I get DW set up with hers first.

Eddymax

Reaction score
How long is it taking new customers to receive their Marriott card in the mail?
I have some large purchases coming soon and hope to have the card in time!.

And on a separate point, I am traveling to Hawaii next summer and this was the main reason I looked into the Marriott Premier Plus card... to rack up points for our stay. Was there another traveling credit card you would’ve recommended more?!

Thanks!.

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
How long is it taking new customers to receive their Marriott card in the mail?
I have some large purchases coming soon and hope to have the card in time!.

And on a separate point, I am traveling to Hawaii next summer and this was the main reason I looked into the Marriott Premier Plus card... to rack up points for our stay. Was there another traveling credit card you would’ve recommended more?!

Thanks!.

I'm a big fan of the Costco VISA:
https://www.costco.com/credit-card.html

4% gas
3% travel/restaurants

Don't need to deal with point systems. Just $$$.

Jerrygomi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got turned down flat for the Premier Plus Card. Reason: "you already have a marriott rewards premier card with us". The letter then said I could upgrade my card but a product change is not eligible for a new cardmember bonus. The phone rep had told me not to cancel my existing card, but I guess cancel and wait 60 days is the only chance of getting 100k points.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been a week since I cancelled my card. I just applied online as was approved.

You have been approved for the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card. You will receive your new card, a paper copy of your Cardmember Agreement and other important disclosures in 7-10 business days.

Your credit line is $XX,000.00
Your purchase APR is 17.49% variable

The credit line now shows up in my Chase App and I actually got a 50% increase in credit limit from my cancelled card. The big question is whether or not I will receive the 100K points. Once I have the account number I plan to prepay my 2019 maintenance fees.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
It's been a week since I cancelled my card. I just applied online as was approved.

The credit line now shows up in my Chase App and I actually got a 50% increase in credit limit from my cancelled card. The big question is whether or not I will receive the 100K points. Once I have the account number I plan to prepay my 2019 maintenance fees.

Please let us know if you get the 100k bonus. Is this your first Marriott card or did you have the previous Marriott card and cancelled it?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just called the number on back of my Chase Sapphire Reserve card to ask about the Chase Marriott card offer and wait times. The lady new exactly what I was asking and promptly looked up my account. She said that they advise to wait 30 days between cancelling a card and reapplying.

She said my account showed that my Chase Marriott card was cancelled on April 20th, and that if I wait until after May 20th to reapply for the new Chase Marriott card I would qualify for the 100K MR bonus offer.

I just felt like her simple understanding and quick answers indicated that she knew what she was talking about.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I was tempted to apply for the new card, but I would not spend $5k in the allotted window this time of year. I would at the end of the year when my timeshare maintenance fees come due, but I learned before that the free hotel night awarded on your anniversary is only good for 6 months (if I remember correctly) and I have more opportunity to use it in the summer months.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was tempted to apply for the new card, but I would not spend $5k in the allotted window this time of year. I would at the end of the year when my timeshare maintenance fees come due, but I learned before that the free hotel night awarded on your anniversary is only good for 6 months (if I remember correctly) and I have more opportunity to use it in the summer months.
It is now good for a year and only issued a year later on the anniversary.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just prepay your MFs. And the free night is good for a year. Cheers.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes i'm waiting until I need a new Marriott card which really isn't until August when the SPG no longer gets the 3 for 1. I cancelled May 8th and have a trip to MFC in July so right after that I'll sign up and hopefully qualify for the 100k points.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
How far out can you prepay? Do it by calling ini I don't see that option online.
You can do it online. Pay all or part of any week(s) and DC Points. You could even pay more than one years’ worth if you wish.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We received emails for upgrade offer:
Me - 10,000 and that card gets about $5,000 a year charged on it (our go to is Chase Reserve)
Husband - 20,000. He got the card about a year ago for a big sign bonus and has never used it!

I'm planning on canceling mine and trying for a new card later on.
Husband - will take the 20,000 as he isn't eligible anyway since he just got a sign up bonus last year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I'm a big fan of the Costco VISA:
https://www.costco.com/credit-card.html

4% gas
3% travel/restaurants

Don't need to deal with point systems. Just $$$.
I have this card and use it as little as possible. I can get a hotel room at Swan or Dolphin in Epcot with 12,000 Starwood points right now (admittedly this is not going to be available much longer). The hotel prices start at $300+ tax. I can get a Hyatt hotel in Boston for 8,000 points that costs about $260. That only requires an $8,000 spend to get that hotel room. An $8,000 spend gets you $80 with the Costco card.

I think that is a better value than what you are doing. You need to check out a website like Million Mile Secrets.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
We received emails for upgrade offer:
Me - 10,000 and that card gets about $5,000 a year charged on it (our go to is Chase Reserve)
Husband - 20,000. He got the card about a year ago for a big sign bonus and has never used it!

I'm planning on canceling mine and trying for a new card later on.
Husband - will take the 20,000 as he isn't eligible anyway since he just got a sign up bonus last year.

It's possible that your husband might be able to refer you for the new card and garner 20K additional points for himself:
https://www.chase.com/referafriend/marriottpremierplus?CID=PTNR1

I canceled my own card via a phone call to Chase just a few days ago. I was told that I would be eligible for the 100K offer on the new card if I waited until the record of the old card drops off my credit report in mid-July. The phone rep gave me an exact date, but I'll probably wait 60 days (just a little longer) to be safe. My wife has the old card, so we'll see if she is able to refer me for the new card.

By the way, when canceling your old Chase Marriott card, be sure to move as much of your existing credit line to another Chase credit card as possible. I don't think you want to sacrifice any of your total credit limit with Chase. I did that and, if I need to, I will move that back onto the new card if it helps me gain approval for a new account. I think this is especially important if your income has fallen (for example, you've retired).

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Chase to cancel and rep told me I could cancel and reapply all in the same call and be eligible for the 100,000 sign up. I questioned since some reports are wait until a statement cycle, wait 60 day, haven't found anyone that could confirm immediate sign up yet. So, I took the pass for this reason and also the suggestion from GetawayRus - thanks for pointing out the referral: I will ensure husband refers me :)

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have this card and use it as little as possible. I can get a hotel room at Swan or Dolphin in Epcot with 12,000 Starwood points right now (admittedly this is not going to be available much longer). The hotel prices start at $300+ tax. I can get a Hyatt hotel in Boston for 8,000 points that costs about $260. That only requires an $8,000 spend to get that hotel room. An $8,000 spend gets you $80 with the Costco card.

I think that is a better value than what you are doing. You need to check out a website like Million Mile Secrets.

It all depends on what your objective is. My thing is I have 25 weeks in my TS portfolio and mega points in my MAR account for more hotel stays so the last thing I need is points for more hotel nights.

I have 2 cards that get me payment rebates, my Amex Blue that I will never give up because it gets me 5% on big expense categories for me, groceries and gas and my Costco because it gets me 2% on Costco spend which is another big expense category for me and 3% on restaurants. Costco rebates add up to over $1000 per year and with Amex Blue I usually get back $1200.

So I use 3 CCs, SPG Amex for 3 for 1 MAR points conversion, Amex Blue for groceries and gas, and Costco for Costco and restaurants. On an annual basis managing it this way really builds on my MAR points total and brings me a very nice payment rebate with Costco and Amex Blue. When I sign up for the new Marriott card that will replace the SPG but the other cards will be used exactly the same.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
It all depends on what your objective is. My thing is I have 25 weeks in my TS portfolio and mega points in my MAR account for more hotel stays so the last thing I need is points for more hotel nights.

I have 2 cards that get me payment rebates, my Amex Blue that I will never give up because it gets me 5% on big expense categories for me, groceries and gas and my Costco because it gets me 2% on Costco spend which is another big expense category for me and 3% on restaurants. Costco rebates add up to over $1000 per year and with Amex Blue I usually get back $1200.

So I use 3 CCs, SPG Amex for 3 for 1 MAR points conversion, Amex Blue for groceries and gas, and Costco for Costco and restaurants. On an annual basis managing it this way really builds on my MAR points total and brings me a very nice payment rebate with Costco and Amex Blue. When I sign up for the new Marriott card that will replace the SPG but the other cards will be used exactly the same.
So work on getting airfare without paying cash for it. It's all a game to me, and I enjoy the game, it's my hobby, and I tend to build points and miles much faster than most people. The Chase Sapphire Reserve card had a signup bonus of 100K points, and it is my number one card. $100K spend gets $1,500 in free travel (airfare too). Cashback cards are just so-so for me.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
So work on getting airfare without paying cash for it. It's all a game to me, and I enjoy the game, it's my hobby, and I tend to build points and miles much faster than most people. The Chase Sapphire Reserve card had a signup bonus of 100K points, and it is my number one card. $100K spend gets $1,500 in free travel (airfare too). Cashback cards are just so-so for me.

Totally agree. It's my job in retirement! We spent airline miles to get us to Spain and back this year, still there, and, that was end of last year we spent the miles. Already have them all back! That will fund 2 airfare to Thailand next year also for free. Last Year, we funded airfare to Australia for free. It's a game worth playing! The Australia airfare was worth close to $4,000 for 2.