• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2018] NEW 5-Night Travel Package Values for Marriott timeshare owners via Marriott Rewards

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the end result is 35K more points and 22K less FF miles(for United -- 20 k less FF for the others). Don't know how to compare that with the degraded 7 night TP? Still bad, but I guess it could be worse.
The previous Cat 1-5 for 100k miles was 215,000 so at 270,000 points for a Cat 1-4 (assuming that you can still get an equivalent hotel under the new scheme) is a 25% increase. However travelling from the UK to USA always needs a lot of miles so will still consider a 5 night TP

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
The previous Cat 1-5 for 100k miles was 215,000 so at 270,000 points for a Cat 1-4 (assuming that you can still get an equivalent hotel under the new scheme) is a 25% increase. However travelling from the UK to USA always needs a lot of miles so will still consider a 5 night TP

I just received the codes for mapping travel packages from one category to another. As well, I have listed what the new codes will be should you wish to purchase a new travel package. MR has been instructed by management not to do any upgrades until Sept. 18 as they are still working on glitches on the website. There have been reports of people losing all of their points when MR has tried to upgrade thus the instruction to wait until Sept. 18.

Here goes. MR has advised that it will be easier to purchase/downgrade or upgrade if they have the codes........

OC5=530T/P530 is now NC4 QP53
OC6=570T/P570 is now NC4 QP53
OC7=610T/P610 is now NC5 QP61
OC8=650T/P650 is now NC5 QP61
OC9=690T/P690 is now NC6 QP69

If you want to purchase the new 5 night travel packages then they are as follows:
5 night cat. 1-4 = 813T (25K MR points) costs 270K MR points (for 100K Airmiles)
5 night cat 5= 833T (35K MR points) costs 310K MR points (for 100K Airmiles)
5 night cat 6= 853T( 50K MR points) costs 390K MR points (for 100K Airmiles)
5 night cat 7=873T (60K MR points) costs 450K MR points (for 100K Airmiles)
5 night Cat 8- 893T(85K MR points) costs 560 MR points (for 100K Airmiles)
Note: for 50KAirmiles the costs would be 195MR (for cat 4), 255MR (for cat 5), 315MR (for cat 6), 355MR (for cat 7) and 475MR (for cat 8)

Last edited:

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received the codes for mapping travel packages from one category to another. As well, I have listed what the new codes will be should you wish to purchase a new travel package. MR has been instructed by management not to do any upgrades until Sept. 18 as they are still working on glitches on the website. There have been reports of people losing all of their points when MR has tried to upgrade thus the instruction to wait until Sept. 18.

Here goes. MR has advised that it will be easier to purchase/downgrade or upgrade if they have the codes........

If you want to purchase the new 5 night travel packages then they are as follows:
5 night cat. 1-4 = 813T (25K MR points) costs 270K MR points (for 100K Airmiles)
5 night Cat 8- 890T(85K MR points) costs 560 MR points (for 100K Airmiles)
Note: for 50KAirmiles the costs would be 195MR (for cat 4), 255MR (for cat 5), 315MR (for cat 6), 355MR (for cat 7) and 475MR (for cat 8)
Thanks Safti. I like the suggestion that purchase/downgrade or upgrade will still be possible. That said, I think it’s appropriate to point out Post #22 above which shows, for example, 5 night Cat 8 as 893T. Cheers.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
.....Here goes. MR has advised that it will be easier to purchase/downgrade or upgrade if they have the codes........

5 night Cat 8- 890T(85K MR points) costs 560 MR points (for 100K Airmiles)

So a succinct conversation with the rep would be:
(note, post referencing the Knowledge Article in another thread referenced a reduction to a Cat 1-5 TP, which doesn't seem to exist.)

"I have four Category 6 travel packages, NC4 QP53, purchased under the pre-merger program. Per your internal "Knowledge Article 5995 in Engage", I would like to have these packages reduced to Category 5, 833T, and 30K points credited to my account for each package/certificate."

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So a succinct conversation with the rep would be:
(note, post referencing the Knowledge Article in another thread referenced a reduction to a Cat 1-5 TP, which doesn't seem to exist.)

"I have four Category 6 travel packages, NC4 QP53, purchased under the pre-merger program. Per your internal "Knowledge Article 5995 in Engage", I would like to have these packages reduced to Category 5, 833T, and 30K points credited to my account for each package/certificate."
The problem with this is that the difference in points between the old category 6 and category 5 is only 15K in points, not the 30K that people keep citing here. THis is why there is so much confusion with the five night packages. That knowledge article is written for seven night packages.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

It’s been 2.5 months since the merger and I decided to call in to hav my certificate converted. I called in since I was in traffic and I converted my Old 1-5 to a New 1-4. Since I was on my phone, I couldn’t verify/check until after I hung up. Total call length was 7 minutes.

However, when I did check, I did have the New 1-4 but I was also short 10,000 MRP. Looking more closely, she used code QP52 which had a value of 20,000 points compared to the P530 that was 10,000 points.

I made a second call back and spoke to another person. She looked and made a correct. Once again, I couldn’t verify until I hung up. The 10,000 points were back. Total call length was 6 minutes.

I make a third call to attach the certificate to an existing reservation. The guy says the system is down and unable to attach. Total call length was 3 minutes.

Seems like things are getting back to normal. Could have saved myself 6 minutes had I looked up the code prior to calling and provided that to the service rep.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
So, if I don't have any reservations now or planned, I should wait as long as possible, i.e., to the current expiration date next summer, at which time I'd call and convert an OC6 to equivalent NC4, using QP53.

I would then get 15K points back, and at which time I could upgrade to to another category for how much? (Link somewhere?). (Really thought I had this figured out...yeah, right.)

Oscar923

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s been 2.5 months since the merger and I decided to call in to hav my certificate converted. I called in since I was in traffic and I converted my Old 1-5 to a New 1-4. Since I was on my phone, I couldn’t verify/check until after I hung up. Total call length was 7 minutes.

However, when I did check, I did have the New 1-4 but I was also short 10,000 MRP. Looking more closely, she used code QP52 which had a value of 20,000 points compared to the P530 that was 10,000 points.

I made a second call back and spoke to another person. She looked and made a correct. Once again, I couldn’t verify until I hung up. The 10,000 points were back. Total call length was 6 minutes.

I make a third call to attach the certificate to an existing reservation. The guy says the system is down and unable to attach. Total call length was 3 minutes.

Seems like things are getting back to normal. Could have saved myself 6 minutes had I looked up the code prior to calling and provided that to the service rep.
Hi Steven,
From reading your post, you were not upgrading or downgrading your certificate. You were simply converting an old certificate code to a new code. I am still holding an old 5-night certificate (cat7). Is it necessary to convert it to a new code before I can use it for a reservation? Last time I called to try to make a reservation, the rep said the system was down and she couldn’t see my old certificate. This was after 45 minutes on the phone. Will all the old certificates be eventually converted to new ones by Marriott?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

I spent an hour and 20 minutes on the phone a couple days ago converting three OC5’s to NC4’s with an expiration extension and attaching them to existing reservations. What took so long for me was that the three rooms were booked together. Marriott is using the old reservation system and a new reservation system in parallel and there is a bug with multiple rooms booked in the new reservation system.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Steven,
From reading your post, you were not upgrading or downgrading your certificate. You were simply converting an old certificate code to a new code. I am still holding an old 5-night certificate (cat7). Is it necessary to convert it to a new code before I can use it for a reservation? Last time I called to try to make a reservation, the rep said the system was down and she couldn’t see my old certificate. This was after 45 minutes on the phone. Will all the old certificates be eventually converted to new ones by Marriott?

There is no way to attach an old certificate. It has to be converted before using it for a reservation. From my understanding they are not doing this unless the rewards member calls and wants it attached or converted.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
I just upgraded my 5 night TP OC 5 to NC 6. Cost me 45K points to upgrade for each TP.

This is great news! Was it a hassle? Did the rep know how to do it or did he/she have to put you on hold, talk to a manager, transfer you to customer care, etc?

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is great news! Was it a hassle? Did the rep know how to do it or did he/she have to put you on hold, talk to a manager, transfer you to customer care, etc?
It took about 45 minutes. I asked the rep if he was a Marriott agent for a while or an SPG agent. He said he was a Marriott agent. If he had said SPG then I would HUCA. He was a Marriott and loyalty rep. He couldn't do it by himself. I also instructed him on the exact code I wanted which helped him. I find many of the reps need some help with this. He had to go to his supervisor because I had also lost one of my TP's so it needed to be reinstated. It was an hour of my life. They also gave me goodwill points for the hassle on the phone. But, in the end, I got exactly what I wanted.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I convert an old Cat 1-5 to new 1-4 and extended it for another year few days ago. I just found Another 10000 mr points were deducted from the account. I have to call for the 10000 mr points to be put back into the account

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I convert an old Cat 1-5 to new 1-4 and extended it for another year few days ago. I just found Another 10000 mr points were deducted from the account. I have to call for the 10000 mr points to be put back into the account

For whatever reason the travel package certificate has an actual system point value of 10,000 points. They are supposed to cancel the old one which adds 10,000 points and then issue the new one which deducts 10,000 points. The two transactions are supposed to be a wash.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first agent made the mistake of mapping old 1-5 to new 1-5 and took out a bunch of mr points from my acccount. This took more than 30 min w waiting for call to be picked up then putting me on hold to change to a wrong package.
it took me another 30 min the same day to get another agent to correct it back to 1-4 cat and refund me the points. She told me the point balance before she hang up the phone.
I check my balance today after reading steve’s post about missing 10000 points and found out I also missing 10000 points too. Took me another phone call today to get them back

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Interesting new disclaimers/terms for MVCI owners redeeming 5 night travel packages. I am pasting as stated by the MVCI representative during the online chat.

"Important: Members must be advised at the time of ordering the Award that if they choose to cancel the Hotel portion of the Travel Package at any time, they will receive 5,000 Points back to their Account.
Vistana Owners are not eligible for this Award."

So, no matter what category of travel package you redeem, you now will only get 5k Bonvoy points back if you cancel the hotel portion. Talk about getting 'Bonvoyed'. Ouch. :(

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting new disclaimers/terms for MVCI owners redeeming 5 night travel packages. I am pasting as stated by the MVCI representative during the online chat.

"Important: Members must be advised at the time of ordering the Award that if they choose to cancel the Hotel portion of the Travel Package at any time, they will receive 5,000 Points back to their Account.
Vistana Owners are not eligible for this Award."

So, no matter what category of travel package you redeem, you now will only get 5k Bonvoy points back if you cancel the hotel portion. Talk about getting 'Bonvoyed'. Ouch. :(
The hotel portion has always been very low value if you try to cancel the hotel certificate tied to the Travel Package. It has been this way for many years. Long before Bonvoy. The hard cost value of the package is in the airline miles that they had to buy and which have already been transferred to your account.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
FWIW, when I converted my OC6 to NC1-4; I would have gotten 30K points back for each certificate. 5K is a pretty significant change, but not unexpected given the overall value diminishment with the new certificates and hotel value changes.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
The hotel portion has always been very low value if you try to cancel the hotel certificate tied to the Travel Package. It has been this way for many years. Long before Bonvoy. The hard cost value of the package is in the airline miles that they had to buy and which have already been transferred to your account.

Yes, any points refund was always low (but not that low). The last time I was considering doing this (pre-SPG acquisition), I was offered a 15k points refund for the hotel portion of a 5 night certificate I thought I might not be able to use. So, the package costs have not only gone up but the partial refund amounts have also gone down. A double 'win' for Marriott Bonvoy?

Also, I never got any initial advisals (as they are doing now) that I would only get "x" points back should I cancel part of the travel package. So, I think that is new as well.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, when I converted my OC6 to NC1-4; I would have gotten 30K points back for each certificate. 5K is a pretty significant change, but not unexpected given the overall value diminishment with the new certificates and hotel value changes.
The way I read it, 5K refund is for cancelling the hotel portion entirely. In the case of "downgrade" due to old to new, getting back 30K remains unchanged.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
The way I read it, 5K refund is for cancelling the hotel portion entirely. In the case of "downgrade" due to old to new, getting back 30K remains unchanged.

I got 15K back converting from the OC6 to NC1-4. Cancellation would have gotten me 30K. I think this only occurred with OC6 and OC8(?) that were caught in the middle or the restructuring.

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got 30,000 Bonvoy points back when changed OC6 to NC 1-4 (7 night package with 120,000 BA Avios)
Then I upgraded the NC 1-4 to NC 5 and charged 60,000 Bonvoy points.

Have just booked a 7 night stay next June into an Emerald Sea View Room at the Domes Miramare, Corfu, Greece - currently Cat 5 Adults Only Luxury Collection Resort. Hotel has a boat which takes you to Corfu Town so am very excited.

To get all of the above sorted took a lot of time and effort as the US Bonvoy dept originally charged me 90,000 extra Bonvoy but I fought it with the UK Bonvoy dept and after 3 calls and a lot of complaining they re-funded me 30,000.

It still seems that there is a lot of discrepancy going on regarding these travel packages.

Reactions: jin