• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need some advice...interested in buying

Motsy

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I’m new here and am interested in purchasing some sort of resale. I have a family of 6, so staying in a 2 bedroom timeshare makes the most sense for us when traveling. Usually we rent from owners or companies, and it is much cheaper than getting two hotel rooms, but I’m hoping owning would allow us to save even more and go more often as a result. Would some of you be willing to advise me on what to do? I know you can find free options in the bargain bin here, but it’s a little overwhelming to look through. We are annual pass holders at Disney world, so a lot of our traveling is there, but we’d also like the flexibility to go other places. Thanks in advance!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Orlando is overbuilt, so there is no economic advantage of owning there in order to visit there.

If renting is working for you, keep on renting. You are probably paying about the same as your maintenance fees would be if you owned (and less if your visits are off season) with no investment and no economic risk.

Motsy

Reaction score
Would it be beneficial to own somewhere else even if we mostly traveled to Florida? We pay about $1,000 for a 1 bedroom unit at Bonnet Creek for 7 nights when renting.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Would it be beneficial to own somewhere else even if we mostly traveled to Florida? We pay about $1,000 for a 1 bedroom unit at Bonnet Creek for 7 nights when renting.

Nope.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time, annual fees were reasonable. Even cheap. Then the magic of compounding took charge. Those $250-$400/yr MFs tacked on 4%-5% more each year and so now the annual nut is $1000- $1300. And going up by leaps and bounds. There may be exceptions, but not a lot. So I guess my advice is that if renting works for you, keep renting. It's no problem going to overbuilt places, like Florida, Las Vegas, Williamsburg, Branson, Mexico- though they have found their cash-cow is All Inclusive fees of ~$100pp/day for eats, drinks/activities. There are still some places you can help out the rest of the economy instead of the developer.

Anyway, just keep renting until just the 'right' TS, the perfect week, that you feel like returning to year-in, year-out. I know that you love Disney for now, but just between us, there are other places.

Welcome to TUG.

Jim

Sshine

Reaction score

I would disagree with the other comment about Orlando having no advantage of owning. If you travel there most, it absolutely could be a great place to own a timeshare. We own a 3 bedroom at Orange Lake & pay a little over $1,000 in maintenance fees. We have a fixed week & we love going the same time of year & being in the same unit every year. Before we owned, renting a 3 bedroom for us was way more expensive than what we pay now in maintenance fees. But again, we do like going there every year. We are currently looking to get RCI also...Not to trade our week, but to take advantage of the “extra weeks” & “last call” so we vacation other places for cheaper also. It all depends on what works best for you & your family.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Welcome to TUG. Family 7 as well and I purchased our first in a San Diego since we went often. Now we have others and will be taking at least 4 trips a yr including Hawaii.
As others indicated, what other locations do you want to travel to besides Disney?. Because that’s the benefit of a TS. You can use your home resort or trade into other destinations.

Motsy

Reaction score
Welcome to TUG. Family 7 as well and I purchased our first in a San Diego since we went often. Now we have others and will be taking at least 4 trips a yr including Hawaii.
As others indicated, what other locations do you want to travel to besides Disney?. Because that’s the benefit of a TS. You can use your home resort or trade into other destinations.

We also enjoy going to Williamsburg, Sevierville, TN, and the beach and have rented timeshares there in the past. We’d like to do timeshares in other areas as well, but these are the only areas we’ve rented in the past. I guess I just don’t know what the best option would be for us. Would it be beneficial to buy in a different location and trade to FL since the majority of our traveling (at least for now) is there? I’m sure the day will come when we travel to FL a lot less, but for now that’s where we enjoy going most because of our children’s ages.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There is a Survey you can fill out under New to Timesharing so people can better advise you. Remember there are all sorts of permutations - fixed week, floating weeks, pure Point Programs, Modified Point Programs, etc.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
I think Mary Ann and Jim have it right for you. Continue to rent, that gives you great flexibility without the long term obligation and you can always buy something tomorrow if you end up feeling like you just have to own something :)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Watch
I have a week I am giving away (just pay for the transfer fees) at the Marriott Ocean Watch in Myrtle Beach It is for December and covers Christmas and New Years! You could use it to turn in for a property through Marriott Exchange or II in Orlando if you chose.
Let me know if you are interested. We have two and no longer live in NC where we used to get more use out of it.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
I have a week I am giving away (just pay for the transfer fees) at the Marriott Ocean Watch in Myrtle Beach It is for December and covers Christmas and New Years! You could use it to turn in for a property through Marriott Exchange or II in Orlando if you chose.
Let me know if you are interested. We have two and no longer live in NC where we used to get more use out of it.
I am new to timeshares so this is probably a naive question but would a unit like yours allow you to exchange into something like the Marriott's Maui Ocean Club during the Spring or Summer season?

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am new to timeshares so this is probably a naive question but would a unit like yours allow you to exchange into something like the Marriott's Maui Ocean Club during the Spring or Summer season?

Anything is possible but is not probable. Getting a two bedroom in Maui is difficult even if you own there. I have traded two bedroom platinum units to get to Ko Olina in a one bedroom. That's kind of how it works.

As for a good timeshare to own if you like Walt Disney World then I suggest Disney Vacation Club. Disney Vacation Club points hold their value better than any other timeshare on the market. I bought my points for $80 per point and now they are being sold for $125 to $130 a point. And no one tries to lowball you because Disney actively buys contracts sold too cheaply back on Right of First Refusal. I know the upfront cost is a lot of money but you will use your points and enjoy yourselves for many years if you buy Disney. I advise you to buy Resale however now Disney Vacation Club has started curtailing the benefits for NEW resale contracts. There are several sites selling Disney Vacation Club. I have two I used to deal with on a monthly basis. I will give you their names if you send me a PM.

Last edited: