• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help with info about a deed-back?

Junglist33

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to this group. So glad to have found it.

My husband and I got pressured into purchasing a TS based on a points system and since I was grieving over the sudden loss of my Mom to cancer and was under a lot of medication at the time, also having crying spells and anxiety during the presentation, I was not in my right mind. My husband being the sweet guy he is, got suckered into the TS from what the salespeople said, and he also thought it would be nice to vacation once a year. Fast forward to this year and another death in the family, as well as my health taking a turn for the worse, we cannot vacation, and we are also having a medical and financial hardship due to our huge increase in our medical insurance deductible and since I have not been well and am also physically disabled due to many back and knee problems, as well as my emotional/mental conditions, we have to have our insurance.

I have just in the past few months realized exactly what we have gotten into and the fact that I cannot travel or afford to, we have been trying to figure out what to do. Today I was told by the GM of the Inn we actually own, that she had no problem doing a deed-back as long as we pay off the mortgage, which we can do.

My question is, is she pulling my leg? It's with San Clemente Inn and the management co VRI has told me other things, and Great Destinations was who sold it to us has told us other things, and I just don't know what to believe. As well as speaking to lawyers and those time share exit type things. I just want to know does the general manager at the San Clemente Inn actually have the authority to do the deed-back? I have explained our situation to her.

I am so clueless, and trying to deal with this is actually making my health worse due to the stress and constant anxiety it is causing.

Any info is very greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
My question is, is she pulling my leg?

Not likely. A lot of resorts and timeshare companies are allowing deed backs as long as the mortgage and maintenance fees are paid up. Many are coming to realize that if they don't take TSs back from unhappy owners, the TSs will eventually fall into the hands of the resorts anyway through some unscrupulous third-party.

Some will do it for just the cost of the transfer fee. Others, like Diamond or Westgate will charge some money for it.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Go for it. Get all the pertinent details and give it back.

Junglist33

Reaction score
So, the deed-back wouldn't have to go through VRI? If the general manager from San Clemente Inn said she had no problem doing a deed-back, she does have the authority?

I thank you both for your replies, very much. This whole thing has been a nightmare.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, the deed-back wouldn't have to go through VRI? If the general manager from San Clemente Inn said she had no problem doing a deed-back, she does have the authority?

I thank you both for your replies, very much. This whole thing has been a nightmare.

Suggest you use LT Transfers to handle this for you. They are very ethical and do a great job. They are also highly recommended by many of the TUG community. They will charge you a maximum of $250 but it will be done and IT WILL BE DONE CORRECTLY and you will be done with it. Check into it, and I will leave you their website below;

www.LTTransfers.com

Keep us posted and wishing you the very best!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggest you use LT Transfers to handle this for you. They are very ethical and do a great job. They are also highly recommended by many of the TUG community. They will charge you a maximum of $250 but it will be done and IT WILL BE DONE CORRECTLY and you will be done with it. Check into it, and I will leave you their website below;

www.LTTransfers.com

Deedbacks transfers are done internally. LTT won't come into play. It would be done by VRI.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deedbacks transfers are done internally. LTT won't come into play. It would be done by VRI.

So true, however the owners sound very green (and highly stressed) and they may feel more comfortable in having someone reputable handling the entire process for them so they know it is out of their hands once and for all.

Junglist33

Reaction score
The GM of SCI already turned in the approved deed-back to VRI. I have confirmed they received it, and we paid off the mortgage yesterday.

I really hope this does go ok, as this is really putting a dent in my health. I'm already having a difficult time with my health and this stress over the past 2 months has been just insane.

Junglist33

Reaction score

www.LTTransfers.com

If we end up giving it to a friend, do they help with that?

Junglist33

Reaction score
Well we just received the deed-back info from VRI. They want a title search fee of $350 and an administrative fee of $125. So $475 total to deed it back. However, they want a bunch of info like the last 10 years of employment, our child's name, and other personal info. Is this normal?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well we just received the deed-back info from VRI. They want a title search fee of $350 and an administrative fee of $125. So $475 total to deed it back. However, they want a bunch of info like the last 10 years of employment, our child's name, and other personal info. Is this normal?
I can't vouch for what's 'normal', but VRI is a reputable outfit. I might be inclined to ask what the purpose of the private info not necessary for transferring title back to them. Frankly it's none of their business.

Glad you're getting this ironed out. Hopefully the reduced stress will help you feel better.

Jim

Junglist33

Reaction score
It's suppposed to be to expedite a title search it says, to make sure we are the right people and to avoid fraud or similar names. I'm calling tomorrow to ask.

Junglist33

Reaction score
I can't vouch for what's 'normal', but VRI is a reputable outfit. I might be inclined to ask what the purpose of the private info not necessary for transferring title back to them. Frankly it's none of their business.

Glad you're getting this ironed out. Hopefully the reduced stress will help you feel better.

Jim
Thank you Jim. This stress is breaking me to the point of a nervous breakdown.

Junglist33

Reaction score

www.LTTransfers.com

Hi TimeTraveler,

Since we rec'd a deedback approval but they want us to send them $350 for a title search and a $125 administrative fee, that is their offer in order to do a deed-back with them. Not sure if they would be ok with another co doing it?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like San Clemente Inn wants to charge you $475 (all profit) for the privilege of a deed back.

With 2020 now just a few weeks away you may end up owing the 2020 maintenance fees if this isn't settled this month in 2019 (only two weeks left).

You should ask them if they charge $475 if your own personal closing company (LT Transfers) does the deed back process for you. My guess is that they will still charge the $475 for their own profit.

With that said, you now know what steps you need to take, and you should do it tomorrow. You DON'T want to have to pay any more maintenance fees!

Best of luck, and keep all of us posted!

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
It's suppposed to be to expedite a title search it says, to make sure we are the right people and to avoid fraud or similar names. I'm calling tomorrow to ask.

Would perhaps a Drivers Licence photocopy help? My guess is they want to make sure it’s you doing the deed back.

The other details in my view are not needed. The less provided, but sufficing it is you who wants the deedback, the better. I suspect A piece of government issued ID would do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk