• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help trying to figure out RCI weeks program, HELP!!

amccu18007

Reaction score
To deposit 2018 & 2019 - will likely,require MF payment . 2018 is likely due in Jan anyway
For 2019 - find out from the resort if early payment and deposit gets more TPU' s than waiting to this time next year .

Note - If they get say 17 TPU's and want an exchange that requires more , you should be able to deposit early . You than have to pay RCI a fee to combine so that you have them in one " package " .
Right now (until,Nov 30 2017) RCI is offering a 2 year use window on combinations ( usually 12 months ) HOWEVER if you combine a recent deposit you may be shortening the. use window since deposits are good for more than 2 years .

< I have a number of small " stub " TPU's and 2 other deposits that will expire in 2018 so for me this makes sense to pay to combine in Nov . " Stubs " ( my description ) are left overs from booked vacations . I had a deposit of 23 TPU and booked a vacation for 21 TPU = 2 left over . If you do not combine them - they expire ,BUT it is only worth doing if you have enough other TPU' s to combine . You can combine up to 10 for one fee payment >

The 2 year window is based on when you book the exchange / not when the vacation occurs .
I will call the resort tomorrow and ask. Thank you so much for all of your help. I realize that you are having to explain things that most people already understand and I really appreciate you taking the time to do so.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I will call the resort tomorrow and ask. Thank you so much for all of your help. I realize that you are having to explain things that most people already understand and I really appreciate you taking the time to do so.

But you see, that is what we do here. Tug is a site where people share information. You may not be the only one who learns from these kind of threads. There are something like 80,000 members of this site (it's amazing) and there are lots of unregistered visitors who browse through. So this helps everyone. Even old-time users will learn a new trick here and there by reading the forums. And as you may have figured out, there is a kind of game to timesharing - how to maximize the return for minimum investment. Its a lot of fun, and for those who play along, there are excellent vacations waiting around every corner.

Enjoy the ride!

Dave

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi amccu18007:
Welcome to TUG. I'm delighted that you found us.
Since your parents do not want to go to Coconut Malorie, deposit the weeks as early as possible. Then combine before 11/30, so that you get 2 years to use them.

There is no surefire way for you to know how many TPU will be required for a given exchange, unless the resort/week you want is sitting in open inventory. A holiday week might cost 47 TPU, while the week after might be 29.
The Disney resorts can be very expensive (50 - 60). Manhattan Club in NYC is 58 - 60. The Hiltons on Oahu are mid 40s - mid- 50s. The Hiltons on the Big Island are in the 30s - low 40s. Southern California Coastal is in the 40s - 50s.

That is the difficulty of setting up an Ongoing Search when you have TPU - you may never get a match (for a particular resort) if the number of TPUs you have on deposit is less than what RCI has set for the resort/week.
RCI often has sales where they cut the TPUs required for certain weeks. Pay attention to the emails they send out for these offers.

So keep asking, and where we have knowledge of a resort or area, we can let you know whether we think the TPUs is sufficient to set up a search.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
You can use the "deposit calculator" on RCI to get a rough idea of how many TPU's might be needed. You can find that on the page that lists the weeks you have available for deposit. I say that it's a rough idea, because the TPU's that one gets for depositing a unit are not always the same for exchanging for that unit...but it will be close.

It's a lot to take in. But as others have said, there are benefits to figuring it out! Keep asking questions...you're getting there!

amccu18007

Reaction score
Okay, my parents have an upcoming reservation for June of 2019 on the Big Island in Hawaii. They made the reservation from what was available not realizing that they really should have done an OGS. Is it too late to put a search in for that time frame? Can you put in a search before canceling the other or do you have to free up those points first and then hope something comes through? They would have 45 points to work with if they canceled this other reservation.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, my parents have an upcoming reservation for June of 2019 on the Big Island in Hawaii. They made the reservation from what was available not realizing that they really should have done an OGS. Is it too late to put a search in for that time frame? Can you put in a search before canceling the other or do you have to free up those points first and then hope something comes through? They would have 45 points to work with if they canceled this other reservation.
The penalty for cancelling is they have to pay another exchange fee. Not worth $239 in most cases.

To answer an earlier question, you never want to auto-confirm. When you match an OGS, it comes back as a "hold" for approximately two days. After that you may confirm, or it will auto-release. Once you confirm, you still have 24 hours to cancel without penalty.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

If you don't mind, what resort did they reserve? Depending on what they chose, it may or may not have been a bad thing. While the open availability resorts tends to be the leftovers, every now and then a good deal shows up. There are many nice resorts in Hawaii, not everything is 5-stars, of course, but the truly dissatisfying resorts are pretty rare.

The thing about Ongoing Searches is you never know if you'll get what you request. That was why I said earlier that you have to be pretty flexible on what you'll accept. A regional area over a range of dates is much more likely to get a match than one specific resort in a narrow calendar window. I once wasted over a year waiting on an OGS to match for a resort in New York City. I had combined deposits to make sure I had enough TPUs for it, and time clicked away. Thirteen months later, with no results, I posted my frustration on Tug. In reply I learned that that specific resort rarely gets deposited to RCI - owners who aren't using their time have no trouble renting out their week. So I wasted all that time for a dead end. A Tugger then contacted me offline, and we arranged a private exchange. I got them what they wanted, and they got me into the NYC resort. It showed once again how awesome Tuggers are. :)

Keep researching. You've already learned a lot, and once over the general learning hump, it's not as difficult to grasp the concepts. Mostly it's about finer details of how to make the system work for you.

Dave

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most likely they matched Paniolo Greens, which has hundreds of units deposited each year, and low TPU requirements.
We had friends stay there this summer. The place is okay - not fancy - but be sure they request a renovated unit.

amccu18007

Reaction score
If you don't mind, what resort did they reserve? Depending on what they chose, it may or may not have been a bad thing. While the open availability resorts tends to be the leftovers, every now and then a good deal shows up. There are many nice resorts in Hawaii, not everything is 5-stars, of course, but the truly dissatisfying resorts are pretty rare.

The thing about Ongoing Searches is you never know if you'll get what you request. That was why I said earlier that you have to be pretty flexible on what you'll accept. A regional area over a range of dates is much more likely to get a match than one specific resort in a narrow calendar window. I once wasted over a year waiting on an OGS to match for a resort in New York City. I had combined deposits to make sure I had enough TPUs for it, and time clicked away. Thirteen months later, with no results, I posted my frustration on Tug. In reply I learned that that specific resort rarely gets deposited to RCI - owners who aren't using their time have no trouble renting out their week. So I wasted all that time for a dead end. A Tugger then contacted me offline, and we arranged a private exchange. I got them what they wanted, and they got me into the NYC resort. It showed once again how awesome Tuggers are. :)

Keep researching. You've already learned a lot, and once over the general learning hump, it's not as difficult to grasp the concepts. Mostly it's about finer details of how to make the system work for you.

Dave
It was Paniolo Greens. The plan is to visit The Big Island for a week and then spend a week in Aulani in Oahu.

amccu18007

Reaction score
Most likely they matched Paniolo Greens, which has hundreds of units deposited each year, and low TPU requirements.
We had friends stay there this summer. The place is okay - not fancy - but be sure they request a renovated unit.
Yes, it was this resort. When making a request, do you call RCI or the resort itself? Thank you for the review.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it was this resort. When making a request, do you call RCI or the resort itself? Thank you for the review.
Contact the resort about 2 weeks before check-in. Our friends requested a lower-floor corner unit, and that's what they got, but I didn't think to tell them to ask for renovated. (I had read that the renovations were mostly done by last summer, so I thought all units had been renovated.) The lower floor units are single level (no stairs inside). The second floor units have the bedroom(s) on the 3rd floor, so one has to walk up/down stairs within the unit.

While we have not stayed at Paniolo Greens, (only saw it from the outside), we have stayed in the Waikoloa area and have thoroughly enjoyed many beaches in that area. We love the Big Island - there is so much to see and do.
We went to the observatory one night. Our friends said the last time they went (20+ years ago) there were maybe 5 people there. This past summer, there were well over 200 people there, and the lines for each of the telescopes were really long. This is due to the fact that the Saddle Road is now paved, so tourists have no hesitation any longer.

amccu18007

Reaction score
Contact the resort about 2 weeks before check-in. Our friends requested a lower-floor corner unit, and that's what they got, but I didn't think to tell them to ask for renovated. (I had read that the renovations were mostly done by last summer, so I thought all units had been renovated.) The lower floor units are single level (no stairs inside). The second floor units have the bedroom(s) on the 3rd floor, so one has to walk up/down stairs within the unit.
Thank you!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It was Paniolo Greens. The plan is to visit The Big Island for a week and then spend a week in Aulani in Oahu.

Paniolo Greens is a nice place to stay. Not overly fancy, more like a nice apartment setting. Spacious units, and in a rather quiet area. It sits up the hills a ways from the main highway, and can be a tad windy. There is a bit of a drive involved to get to the Big Island attractions, but then, just about everything on the Big Island is a bit of a drive. It is a VERY big island. I recall seeing wild turkeys and peacocks wandering around the grounds. Unless your folks want wild and crazy nightlife, they will enjoy staying there. :)

Dave

amccu18007

Reaction score
Paniolo Greens is a nice place to stay. Not overly fancy, more like a nice apartment setting. Spacious units, and in a rather quiet area. It sits up the hills a ways from the main highway, and can be a tad windy. There is a bit of a drive involved to get to the Big Island attractions, but then, just about everything on the Big Island is a bit of a drive. It is a VERY big island. I recall seeing wild turkeys and peacocks wandering around the grounds. Unless your folks want wild and crazy nightlife, they will enjoy staying there. :)

Dave
Nice apartment setting sounds fine. No wild, crazy nightlife is needed. Day trips around to different attractions is the plan right now.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
How many TPU s to get into Paniolo Green?

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hadn't read this thread before. Just wanted to say that we love Ocean City and if you can get summer weeks there, it's a very nice place to stay!

amccu18007

Reaction score
I hadn't read this thread before. Just wanted to say that we love Ocean City and if you can get summer weeks there, it's a very nice place to stay!
I do like Ocean City as well. However, we live fairly close and are there every other weekend or so as we have family and friends there. That is mainly the reason that they haven't used it. They bought their property on a whim on a shopping trip. Went for a pair of jeans, came back with a timeshare...lol.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I do like Ocean City as well. However, we live fairly close and are there every other weekend or so as we have family and friends there. That is mainly the reason that they haven't used it. They bought their property on a whim on a shopping trip. Went for a pair of jeans, came back with a timeshare...lol.

That happens to a lot of people. My brother bought a timeshare in Mexico on his honeymoon. They roped him and his wife into the sales pitch with a free bottle of tequila.

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

We stayed at Paniolo Greens years ago and we loved the location. In fact, we could see the smoking volcanic cones from our back deck. It is only like 15 minutes to Hapuna Beach- arguably one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. We took a tour right from the resort= the tour picked us up there- to Mauna Keau for sunset and star gazing.

We traveled down to Volcanoes National Park as well. And the petrogyphs. And the Black sand beach on the southern end of the island. We did do a lot of driving.

The resort is small and has a small pool that we also used. It is located in the desert area near a big ranch (forget the name of it). It is also near a nice housing development. We were able to do food shopping nearby.

And we did visit some of the more popular resort areas and shopping, as well as Kona - which we didn't care for.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

amccu18007

Reaction score
We stayed at Paniolo Greens years ago and we loved the location. In fact, we could see the smoking volcanic cones from our back deck. It is only like 15 minutes to Hapuna Beach- arguably one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. We took a tour right from the resort= the tour picked us up there- to Mauna Keau for sunset and star gazing.

We traveled down to Volcanoes National Park as well. And the petrogyphs. And the Black sand beach on the southern end of the island. We did do a lot of driving.

The resort is small and has a small pool that we also used. It is located in the desert area near a big ranch (forget the name of it). It is also near a nice housing development. We were able to do food shopping nearby.

And we did visit some of the more popular resort areas and shopping, as well as Kona - which we didn't care for.
Thank you! Sounds like there is quite a bit to do on the island. Should be a fun to plan trip :)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Last edited:

bobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Auto confirm means they will get confirmed for any match. So if they requested two years in advance for a variety of places and dates, they may have made plans for the week confirmed. Otherwise, I think they call or email you. If your parents aren't into computers, have them use your email address.