• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help trying to figure out RCI weeks program, HELP!!

amccu18007

Reaction score
My parents have a week through RCI that they really have no idea how to use. They have asked me to try to figure this out for them as they are not computer savvy at all. I am a DVC owner so have some experience with timeshares but admittedly not much and especially not RCI. Can anyone help point me to some links that would help me break down how to best use these weeks for exchanges? I know what they have is in the weeks RCI side not points. I read I think I can change weeks into points? I think that they would be able to utilize this system as they are retired and can travel at off times. Any and all help would be appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!!

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We have owned an RCI "Week" at a St Augustine Beach resort since the very early '80s. Ours is a floating week so we can book (with slight limitations) the week we want. First of all, don't let anybody talk them into changing their week into the Points system. They bought their week once already -why pay to "re-buy" it so it can be points. If they want points get a free, or real cheap, points package.

With an RCI Week they will be assigned a "TPU" (Trading Points Unit) number (in effect, a "weeks" point value) depending on what week they own, at which resort, for which week. Of course travelling at "off season" and to less demand locations/resorts will cost fewer TPU's. Once in a while RCI has an exchange sale on where they reduce the number of TPU's needed for certain resorts/destinations.

Once they have a "TPU" from depositing their week they, or you, can look in RCI to see what's available. Be aware that what is seen on the website is just "left-overs' from what wasn't already claimed by owners using an on-going search with RCI. If they have their heart set on a specific resort or week, an on-going search would be the best way to get that week.

We tend to use our week where we own to save on the exchange fees then use "Extra Vacations" or "Last Call" weeks to add onto it.

I hope this helps a little. Welcome to TUG! :wave:

~Diane

amccu18007

Reaction score
We have owned an RCI "Week" at a St Augustine Beach resort since the very early '80s. Ours is a floating week so we can book (with slight limitations) the week we want. First of all, don't let anybody talk them into changing their week into the Points system. They bought their week once already -why pay to "re-buy" it so it can be points. If they want points get a free, or real cheap, points package.

With an RCI Week they will be assigned a "TPU" (Trading Points Unit) number (in effect, a "weeks" point value) depending on what week they own, at which resort, for which week. Of course travelling at "off season" and to less demand locations/resorts will cost fewer TPU's. Once in a while RCI has an exchange sale on where they reduce the number of TPU's needed for certain resorts/destinations.

Once they have a "TPU" from depositing their week they, or you, can look in RCI to see what's available. Be aware that what is seen on the website is just "left-overs' from what wasn't already claimed by owners using an on-going search with RCI. If they have their heart set on a specific resort or week, an on-going search would be the best way to get that week.

We tend to use our week where we own to save on the exchange fees then use "Extra Vacations" or "Last Call" weeks to add onto it.

I hope this helps a little. Welcome to TUG! :wave:

~Diane

Yes, this helps! :thumbup: Thank you!

My parents bought this RCI timeshare many years ago and have always used it for extra trips to Orlando so it has paid for itself. I am not sure they have much trading points value but it has already paid for itself in their eyes. I am hoping that I can find a few new destinations for them to travel to.
Thanks again for the information. I will continue to read, read and read some more and hopefully, I will figure this out. Is there an acronyms page on here? I am having trouble figuring out some of the posts on here....lol.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
My parents have a week through RCI ........ I am a DVC owner so have some experience with timeshares but admittedly not much and especially not RCI. Can anyone help point me to some links that would help me break down how to best use these weeks for exchanges? I know what they have is in the weeks RCI side not points. I read I think I can change weeks into points? I think that they would be able to utilize this system as they are retired and can travel .......MF

What Resort ?
How many TPU's ?
What is MF ?

Divide MF by TPU value = cost per TPU

Let's assume 20 TPU's for $700 = $ 35 per TPU

If an off season RCI sale is 10 TPU = $ 350 + RCI exchange fee ( $ 239)
net = about $ 600 for the week

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You'll have better luck learning if you log into their RCI account, so you can see things "live." They probably have an account, but there is a subscription cost.

Once logged in, you can check the details on what they own (by finding the resort name in their library.) If they have a fixed week or unit, you can then easily see the value of TPU's that RCI will give you by checking the Deposit Calculator. If the unit or week float, you can play the system a bit, by checking different weeks or unit types to see which gets you the most TPUs for a deposit. The TPU values are lower, the closer you are to the checkin date at the resort. They're higher for holiday weeks, and more desirable times. Christmas or New Years weeks often get the highest TPU values of the year for an exchange. If you're at least twelve months out, the full TPU value would be given for a deposit.

To make an exchange, you need to actually deposit the week to receive the TPU credits in your account. And once you know the TPU value of the deposit, you can look to see what is in the RCI system that is directly available to exchange. If you have enough TPUs available, you make the exchange, pay the exchange fees, and it's a done deal. If you don't have enough TPUs, you're pretty much out of luck, unless you want to make another deposit, and combine the TPUs together. (That's a whole different topic.)

If the resort you're seeking is not available at the time to exchange, (which is very likely - the available exchanges are the leftovers) you can do an Ongoing Search (OGS) to place yourself on a waitlist for when the week and resort you want becomes available. If/when it is deposited by someone, it matches your OGS, and you have the option of accepting the exchange. There is no guarantee the request will ever come in, so you need to be pretty flexible on what you'll accept.

Once you decide whether RCI will work for you, explore other exchange companies. SFX, DAE, Platinum, and others are out there. They may give you something better than RCI if you deposit the week with them instead. They all work a bit differently, and they each have their own learning curve. You do not have to deposit only with RCI - the alternate exchange companies are nice, each in their own way.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

Dave

Last edited:

amccu18007

Reaction score
You'll have better luck learning if you log into their RCI account, so you can see things "live." They probably have an account, but there is a subscription cost.

Once logged in, you can check the details on what they own (by finding the resort name in their library.) If they have a fixed week or unit, you can then easily see the value of TPU's that RCI will give you by checking the Deposit Calculator. If the unit or week float, you can play the system a bit, by checking different weeks or unit types to see which gets you the most TPUs for a deposit. The TPU values are lower, the closer you are to the checkin date at the resort. They're higher for holiday weeks, and more desirable times. Christmas or New Years weeks often get the highest TPU values of the year for an exchange. If you're at least twelve months out, the full TPU value would be given for a deposit.

To make an exchange, you need to actually deposit the week to receive the TPU credits in your account. And once you know the TPU value of the deposit, you can look to see what is in the RCI system that is directly available to exchange. If you have enough TPUs available, you make the exchange, pay the exchange fees, and it's a done deal. If you don't have enough TPUs, you're pretty much out of luck, unless you want to make another deposit, and combine the TPUs together. (That's a whole different topic.)

If the resort you're seeking is not available at the time to exchange, (which is very likely - the available exchanges are the leftovers) you can do an Ongoing Search (OGS) to place yourself on a waitlist for when the week and resort you want becomes available. If/when it is deposited by someone, it matches your OGS, and you have the option of accepting the exchange. There is no guarantee the request will ever come in, so you need to be pretty flexible on what you'll accept.

Once you decide whether RCI will work for you, explore other exchange companies. SFX, DAE, Platinum, and others are out there. They may give you something better than RCI if you deposit the week with them instead. They all work a bit differently, and they each have their own learning curve. You do not have to deposit only with RCI - the alternate exchange companies are nice, each in their own way.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

Dave
Thank you! I am up and running on the RCI site! Looks like they are paid up with RCI for a few years so I will work on learning that system works first. I never realized that there were a few companies to deposit with! I have a few questions about finding resorts and how many points they would be per week. I can find resorts in the directory but not how many points that they would be. Is there a place that it tells you what each week would be? I would like to put in a few for an ongoing search. Also, if I put in for an ongoing search, what does auto confirm mean? Should I auto confirm? If I don't, will that unit be held for me for a small period of time? Thank you again for the basics, I appreciate all of the help :)

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
It will really help if you tell us what your folks own; which resort and what size/season. There are lots of variations in timeshares and how it works for one system may not apply in another.

Sue

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
On going searches are a "later step " once you know how many TPU's they get for a deposit .
If as you said they can travel off season , you can also look at extra vacations and last calls - which are " cash deals " that do not require a deposit .

I would start by typing - Orlando - since you and they are familiar with it and start looking .

I just did so / you will see :

Orlando - 82 properties
first one
Hilton ...Tuscany RCI 6309
19-38 TPU's
80 units available foe exchange ( 82 if you click last call & extra vac.)
April 2018 - Dec 2018

then click on the box that says - available units

Play with it for a while & you will start to figure it out / then ask more questions

amccu18007

Reaction score
It will really help if you tell us what your folks own; which resort and what size/season. There are lots of variations in timeshares and how it works for one system may not apply in another.

Sue
From what I am understanding, they own a studio which has a floating week at The Ocean City Coconut Malorie . It looks like it has a TPU of 15-20? They bought this on a trip to the beach over 14 years ago and really have no idea what they have...lol. I plan on calling the hotel tomorrow to find out exactly what it is. Honestly, I can not tell what they have from the RCI site. It says that they have 5 weeks to deposit but that doesn't seem correct. I don't even know what information to share other than that. Is that specific enough to help? I am truly sorry that I don't know more but I guess that you have to start somewhere...lol.

Last edited:

amccu18007

Reaction score
On going searches are a "later step " once you know how many TPU's they get for a deposit .
If as you said they can travel off season , you can also look at extra vacations and last calls - which are " cash deals " that do not require a deposit .

I would start by typing - Orlando - since you and they are familiar with it and start looking .

I just did so / you will see :

Orlando - 82 properties
first one
Hilton ...Tuscany RCI 6309
19-38 TPU's
80 units available foe exchange ( 82 if you click last call & extra vac.)
April 2018 - Dec 2018

then click on the box that says - available units

Play with it for a while & you will start to figure it out / then ask more questions
Thank you so much. That is exactly where I have started :)

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I am guessing that a float week studio at
RCI 5313- Ocean City Coconut Malorie-
will get you 15-20 TPU's

Have they stayed there or want to next year ?

Assuming they have not used 2017 - it will be at the low end
If they pay 2018 and resort lets them reserve a specific July week and then deposit
you will get more .( maybe more than 20 )

Some resorts with float weeks just deposit an "average " of what their weeks get in TPU's / while others let you reserve a specific week and deposit . If the later - the "early bird " gets the most TPU worms.The general goal is to get the most per MF dollar.

Last edited:

amccu18007

Reaction score
On the " account dashboard " - you should see -
I have this on my dashboard...
Weeks available to deposit - 5
Total TPU 17
Upcoming vacations 1 ( they called and reserved a room in Hawaii for 2019 but did it over the phone so she has no idea of what was on there before)

She has no idea of how to use these weeks and has decided she doesn't want to learn and it is up to me to plan from now on as she is not tech savvy at all. They have no problem planning way far in advance and also can leave on short notice so I feel as though they should be able to get some use out of this. They have never stayed at their home resort as we live near the beach and have family there so they are using this strictly for exchanges.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
" Weeks available to deposit - 5 "

This doesn't jibe with owning only one timeshare and needs further research. Is it possible they own more than one timeshare. ? RCI can also get confused with this figure and the weeks are not able to be deposited at all.

But, I notice in your initial post you say " help me break down how to best use these weeks for exchanges ". You should list the owned resorts and week(s) involved for informed help.

amccu18007

Reaction score
" Weeks available to deposit - 5 "

This doesn't jibe with owning only one timeshare and needs further research. Is it possible they own more than one timeshare. ? RCI can also get confused with this figure and the weeks are not able to be deposited at all.

But, I notice in your initial post you say " help me break down how to best use these weeks for exchanges ". You should list the owned resorts and week(s) involved for informed help.
I think that it is only one week also. I will call the resort office tomorrow to verify but I am thinking that this is just a fluke of the system.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Calling the resort office will only confirm what they own at that resort. RCI intimates they own at more than one resort.

It would be best if you could log into their RCI account, failing that, ask your parents what they own currently and if they have bought and sold timeshares in the past.

amccu18007

Reaction score
Calling the resort office will only confirm what they own at that resort. RCI intimates they own at more than one resort.

It would be best if you could log into their RCI account, failing that, ask your parents what they own currently and if they have bought and sold timeshares in the past.
I am logged in on their RCI account. RCI states that they have 5 weeks to deposit. I am just not sure where this 5 weeks is coming from. My parents have really only used this timeshare for Orlando but are open to go anywhere. I just want to make sure how to use the system properly so that I can assist them in making arrangements. I guess I will add a call to RCI on my to do list after the resort.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
When I sign in on the weeks side, of which I own 1/2 of a 4BR lock off at a different resort, it lists all the permutations of deposits for the next 3 years I could make with that type of unit (4BR, 2BR A, or 2BR B). You can see the various permutations by going to the manage your deposits portion of the site. Elsewhere it says I have 15 weeks available to deposit, 3 times as many as its telling OP. I'd say it's reflecting future year deposit potential for the one studio week, but it's definitely worth calling to verify.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
From what I am understanding, they own a studio which has a floating week at The Ocean City Coconut Malorie . It looks like it has a TPU of 15-20? They bought this on a trip to the beach over 14 years ago and really have no idea what they have...lol. I plan on calling the hotel tomorrow to find out exactly what it is. Honestly, I can not tell what they have from the RCI site. It says that they have 5 weeks to deposit but that doesn't seem correct. I don't even know what information to share other than that. Is that specific enough to help? I am truly sorry that I don't know more but I guess that you have to start somewhere...lol.

Next question: have they used any of the weeks (i.e. have they stayed at Ocean City in the past couple of years) or do they always deposit each year's week and then trade it. Some of those 5 weeks to deposit might be previous year's weeks that haven't been used.

Call RCI and find out what is there; how many weeks have been deposited and when they expire.

You're asking the right questions; keep at it and you'll be a pro in no time.

Sue

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think RCI tracks what you own vs. what you deposited. Every year you haven't deposited something adds to the list. So if they haven't deposited anything in two years, and if the next three years could be deposited, there are the five weeks. Then again, RCI may just be confused. When I log into my own account it says I have three weeks available to deposit. I own one timeshare. Go figure... ;)

Dave

amccu18007

Reaction score
I will let you guys know once I get ahold of everyone what we have. Thank you for all of the replies and help thus far. I am not feeling quite as lost!

amccu18007

Reaction score
Okay, RCI thinks that because they have a floating week that the system shows two weeks even though it is only one. They did deposit the 2017 week and still need to deposit 2018 and 2019. How far in advance should these be deposited? Now that I have the basic information, my next question is how to find resorts to exchange for? I understand that what shows when I type in a location is the "extra" and that most matches are found through OGS. My question is WHERE to find these resorts and then see how many points the typical exchange takes. Thanks!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
You can click on weeks available to deposit, should show you what is in the account. Also click on weeks already deposited and see what they have in there. There is also Vacation history that you can check.RCI also has tutorials and RCI TV to help you navigate thru the website. Another thing they have a instant chat that will pop up when you are searching. You can ask questions to a live rep and they will help you.
Good Luck!
Silentg

amccu18007

Reaction score
You can click on weeks available to deposit, should show you what is in the account. Also click on weeks already deposited and see what they have in there. There is also Vacation history that you can check.RCI also has tutorials and RCI TV to help you navigate thru the website. Another thing they have a instant chat that will pop up when you are searching. You can ask questions to a live rep and they will help you.
Good Luck!
Silentg
Off to check out the tutorials and RCITV. Thanks!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
To deposit 2018 & 2019 - will likely,require MF payment . 2018 is likely due in Jan anyway
For 2019 - find out from the resort if early payment and deposit gets more TPU' s than waiting to this time next year .

Note - If they get say 17 TPU's and want an exchange that requires more , you should be able to deposit early . You than have to pay RCI a fee to combine so that you have them in one " package " .
Right now (until,Nov 30 2017) RCI is offering a 2 year use window on combinations ( usually 12 months ) HOWEVER if you combine a recent deposit you may be shortening the. use window since deposits are good for more than 2 years .

< I have a number of small " stub " TPU's and 2 other deposits that will expire in 2018 so for me this makes sense to pay to combine in Nov . " Stubs " ( my description ) are left overs from booked vacations . I had a deposit of 23 TPU and booked a vacation for 21 TPU = 2 left over . If you do not combine them - they expire ,BUT it is only worth doing if you have enough other TPU' s to combine . You can combine up to 10 for one fee payment >

The 2 year window is based on when you book the exchange / not when the vacation occurs .