• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Help Rescinding HGVC

Joshua Han

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My wife and I attended one of the HGVC presentations in the Elara Las Vegas on November 8th and got caught up with the glamour of how it all sounded and purchased a timeshare of 5,500 points every other year for around $26k with 10,000 bonus points.

I decided to research a bit more and found this site and saw that we made a mistake and quickly looked to rescind. I found in my contract that I have 7 days to rescind. I faxed the rescission form (contract said that I could fax or mail) to the fax number detailed in the contract.

I wanted confirmation that my rescission was processing so I called HGVC customer service and loan services but they both said that the contract isn't in the system yet and they couldn't do anything. They advised to me to call the property which I did and no one picked up the phone so I had to lead a voicemail.

I'm worried because I'm pretty sure the rescission period begins after the signing of papers and that means it's already been 4 days and I want to get this done....

Please advise! Thank you!

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Certified mail tomorrow morning - you want a receipt showing when you sent it. Trusting a fax when 26K is on the line is a bit shaky. others will tell you, calling or talking to people is a bad idea. Certified mail, gives you a receipt which is what you really want.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Day 1 is the day after you sign. Nevada is 5 days. We suggest using USPS Certified w/returned receipt, so you have proof of delivery. The post office will be open tomorrow (tuesday) so you'll be good if you get it postmarked tomorrow.

Glad you found TUG. HGVC is an honorable outfit and will honor your timely rescission.

Jim

Joshua Han

Reaction score
Certified mail tomorrow morning - you want a receipt showing when you sent it. Trusting a fax when 26K is on the line is a bit shaky. others will tell you, calling or talking to people is a bad idea. Certified mail, gives you a receipt which is what you really want.

Other than the rescission form attached to the contract would you recommend sending anything additional things?
Do you think it's a good idea to also send the rescission form to the property?
I received a tote bag would I need to return that?
Sorry for all the questions!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Other than the rescission form attached to the contract would you recommend sending anything additional things?
I received a tote bag would I need to return that?
Sorry for all the questions!
Add a note to your letter that promotional materials will be returned under separate cover- then send by cheapest means.

Joshua Han

Reaction score
Add a note to your letter that promotional materials will be returned under separate cover- then send by cheapest means.

You mentioned that I only have 5 days but my contract says 7 days is there a reason for that?
Also if it is 5 days and I send the rescission notice tomorrow wouldn't the notice arrive outside of the rescission time frame?
Lastly, do I send this to the Orlando location or the property or both?

Thank you!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's not necessary although if it will give you peace of mind, I'm not going to tell you to not do it.

Just keep in mind a couple of things when you are rescinding:
1) The company has up to 45 days to refund your down payment. It does not usually take that long, though.
2) The company is under no obligation to update you on the progress of your rescission. Some companies might give you an update but they're not required to do so.
3) Keep monitoring your credit card activity (assuming you put the down payment on a credit card) for your refund.
4) Do not contact the TS company, resort, or sales people who sold you this asking for an update. They might use this as an opportunity to try to change your mind about rescinding. They might try to up the offer. They might also try to scare you into believing that you will face serious financial or legal consequences if you rescind.
5) Watch out for any unknown phone calls coming your way. They could be the sales people trying to contact you for the reasons mentioned in point 4.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The date is per the postmark date (not the date that they receive the letter). That is why the suggestion to send it certified mail (so you will have proof). You will have the number of days in your contract, but I would still do it tomorrow to the place listed in your contract (which will not be the sales office). Again, follow the instructions exactly what it says. Ensure that you get everyone to sign who signed the original contract.

Don't worry, HGVC is a legit company, they will refund your money. I wouldn't call the sales office. First, they don't handle this and they will just try to talk you out of it.

Last edited:

Joshua Han

Reaction score
Thank you everyone!
I have some more confidence now, I believe TUG just saved me and my wife quite a lot of pain!

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
btw, Welcome to TUG. You have come to the right place. After, you handle this rescention letter, you then relax and research if TS are right for you (take your time). Actually, HGVC is a great product (when you purchase resales). They also treat their resales owners very well with almost all of the same benefits are buying direct.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

We bought, and then rescinded in Aruba some years back. They never asked for the promotional materials back, so we have some very nice towels :)

Cheers.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
If at one point you really liked 5500 points for $26,000 then you will absolutely love 7000 points for $7,000, roughly the price found on the resale market.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You mentioned that I only have 5 days but my contract says 7 days is there a reason for that?
Also if it is 5 days and I send the rescission notice tomorrow wouldn't the notice arrive outside of the rescission time frame?
Lastly, do I send this to the Orlando location or the property or both?

Thank you!
Nevada LAW says the rescission period is 5 days. That's the reason. As mentioned, the IMPORTANT date is the date of the postmark, not when it's received.
Your contract has the correct address. Use that one. It will be their business office, NOT the resort.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Nevada LAW says the rescission period is 5 days. That's the reason. As mentioned, the IMPORTANT date is the date of the postmark, not when it's received.
Your contract has the correct address. Use that one. It will be their business office, NOT the resort.
Being it say 7 days which is longer then the 5 days doesn’t that become the legal date because it is in the contract? I understand if it said 3 days that would not be legal as the law is a minimum of 5 days. Better to be safe and do it within 5 days.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
welcome!

its an incredible feeling to dodge a 26,000 dollar bullet!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
All persons who signed the sales contract must also sign the rescission form.

As others say, HGVC itself, is a stand-up company. They will do the right thing.
But it will take a few weeks. Do not talk to anyone from the sales office.
These weasels do not process cancellations, only try to change your mind.