• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NEED HELP CANCELLING TIMESHARE, PLEASE!!

slbtigre41

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any experience cancelling a timeshare. I verified I am still within the window, but I was wondering if someone can review my letter. Also, if I got some "free" gifts, should I mail those back with the rescission letter?

Here is a copy of the letter:

Date: April 10, 2017

(Names of Purchasers: my girlfriend and myself)
Address

(Name of Timeshare Corporation)
Address

Attention Customer Service,

The purpose of this letter is to inform you, (Name of Timeshare), that we, (names of purchasers), are exercising our legal right, under Nevada State Law, to cancel the purchase of our timeshare at Sapphire Resorts, regarding contract number: (contract number), purchased on the (date).

We expect a full refund of our deposit in the sum of (amount paid), which was used as the initial down payment. Do not make any additional charges to our debit cards or bank accounts on file.

Timeshare: (Name of Timeshare Company)
Owner: (Names of purchasers)
Contract Number: (contract number)
Date of Purchase: (Date purchased)

Please note that this is our legal rescission, or notice of cancellation, in writing, and please provide us with a written response that this letter has been received.

Sincerely,
(Signatures here)

One last question: Would it be best to get this letter notarized?

Thank you!!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's fine. A bit legalese for my taste, but send copies of the signature pages,and add 'Promotional materials to be sent under separate cover- and send 'em cheapest way. Send USPS Certified w/return receipt.

slbtigre41

Reaction score
It's fine. A bit legalese for my taste, but send copies of the signature pages,and add 'Promotional materials to be sent under separate cover- and send 'em cheapest way. Send USPS Certified w/return receipt.
If I didn't put that I would send the items, is that bad? Can I just send them back with a follow up letter?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would ask where they want their junk. Unlikely it is at the business office that will process the rescission. Then when you send it, get and keep the postal receipt in case they try to charge you for the materials. Any 'gifts' you got for attending the presentation are yours to keep. Gifts for purchasing(like a tablet) should be returned.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Why send back the freebies ?

Those are inducements to show up for the sales pitch.

Even people who say No Thanks following the high pressure razzle-dazzle & ballyhoo get to keep the incentive rewards.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The important thing is the letter. The rest can be ironed out later.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yep, send off the letter on time, and to the correct address...worry about the other items later.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Even people who say No Thanks following the high pressure razzle-dazzle & ballyhoo get to keep the incentive rewards.

Not necessarily so in the case of a purchase (as distinguished from mere "presentation attendance").
Westgate for one charges for the "value" of issued materials not returned by a buyer upon later contract rescission (owner's binder, tablet, etc.).
They can (and they do) simply (and lawfully) deduct the "value" from the deposit refund amount.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's why I specified the difference between gifts promised for attending the presentation, and gifts given expressly for buying. I would imagine that those are specified in the contract.

slbtigre41

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the advice. So I got the letter sent out, and it should've been delivered today. What should I do now? How can I make sure they process my cancellation? Should I contact them?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
nothing else but sit back and relax and count your thousands of dollars you just saved.

you wouldnt normally expect (or get) a reply from them, just a refund of any monies paid sofar (if any down payment was made etc)

slbtigre41

Reaction score
Thank you, Brian. I appreciate all the help.

So I was reading it should take about 2-3 weeks to process, is that true?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Brian. I appreciate all the help.

So I was reading it should take about 2-3 weeks to process, is that true?
Depending on what point in your credit cards billing cycle, it can take up to 45 days and they are under no obligation to inform you of the progress. It's probably just one overworked clerk doing rescissions, and she has a stack a foot high on her desk, and more come in the mail every day. She is not going to look through them every time someone calls- especially someone who is weaseling out of paying their price.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should I contact them?

Absolutely not. Nothing beneficial can be gained by contacting "them". In fact, it might be the opposite. Depending on whom you contact, the person on the other end might try to talk you out of your rescission. So also be careful of taking unknown phone calls at this point because it could possibly be a sales person or someone else at the resort trying to talk you out of it.

As others have said, just sit back and wait. That's all you can do provided you have followed the rescission instructions carefully. It could take up to 45 days to see your refund but it will come.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Off Topic Remark:

Lots of things can happen when you and a girlfriend buy property. Almost all of them are bad.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
A good move getting out and away from the Company with whom you almost bought with. If you ever change your mind I am confident that you can pick up the same week on the resale market for $1 or even less!

Study up, do your homework, and take your time......

Vegas1117

Reaction score
Can you please update us? Did you get out of it? Also which timeshare did you have? We’re in the same boat.

woody41

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
the Christie Lodge
Read it but not sure what to do

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
what are you not sure about after reading the article?

Vegas1117

Reaction score
Thank you very much!! Do you recommend getting a lawyer? I’m just so nervous because we signed such a long contract (45 years). I want to make certain we get out of it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are within the legal rescission period, 'getting out' of the contract is pretty painless and easy. If some time has passed, it becomes MUCH more complex and expensive and even a bit iffy. HOW LONG AGO DID YOU SIGN THE CONTRACT?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thank you very much!! Do you recommend getting a lawyer? I’m just so nervous because we signed such a long contract (45 years). I want to make certain we get out of it.

We have rescinded just as indicated in the FAQ post above.

It works like clockwork. Follow the instructions carefully. Pay close attention to the method of cancellation instructions and comply closely. You can send all the cancellations you want (fax, email, letter, UPS, FedEx etc....) but you MUST send the one as described in the instructions to cancel. Normally this specifies "Mail to the following address.." and USPS certified letter is considered the most appropriate form of notification. Keep all documents, receipts, tracking numbers and print-off the Internet pages showing the results of the sending, tracking and delivery. the dates are based on the day you MAIL the letter.

Phone calls will only complicate the issue. Don't wait, mail now.