• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need a few more points

hdins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NYC
I need to purchase a few more developer points to make an elite level . I have been given prices from $2.50 to 5.50 per point . Does it really matter the location or price if all I am trying to do is get extra points.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this is just for elite level, then location really doesn't matter. In addition to the buy-in cost, also look at the Maintenance Fees. Over time, this will amount to quite a bit more than the buy-in cost.

Before doing this, though, it's worth considering what value you will get out of the elite level and whether it is worth the additional cost of the points. It sounds like you don't really need these points for vacation use- just for reaching the elite level, so this is/should be a consideration.

Cheers.

hdins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NYC
If this is just for elite level, then location really doesn't matter. In addition to the buy-in cost, also look at the Maintenance Fees. Over time, this will amount to quite a bit more than the buy-in cost.

Before doing this, though, it's worth considering what value you will get out of the elite level and whether it is worth the additional cost of the points. It sounds like you don't really need these points for vacation use- just for reaching the elite level, so this is/should be a consideration.

Cheers.
Thanks for the reply. We will use the points and if the $2.50 offer holds, that is not a great amount over resell points and will save on some of the other fees we might have from HGVC. .

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... and will save on some of the other fees we might have from HGVC.

Sounds like you've already decided, so more power to you. But...
The additional MF's greatly outweigh any meager savings from incidental fees.
I'd take a second look at elite benefits and ask myself if it's worth the cost.
If you think so, go for it.

hdins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NYC
Sounds like you've already decided, so more power to you. But...
The additional MF's greatly outweigh any meager savings from incidental fees.
I'd take a second look at elite benefits and ask myself if it's worth the cost.
If you think so, go for it.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advise and knowledge of the board here. I am still on the fence on this. Even at 2.50 per point it is still a few thousand dollars and almost 1.50 more per point than resell point. You are correct on the extra MF and I had not given that enough thought. I expect the points to be from Europe which will be in Pounds or Euro.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advise and knowledge of the board here. I am still on the fence on this. Even at 2.50 per point it is still a few thousand dollars and almost 1.50 more per point than resell point. You are correct on the extra MF and I had not given that enough thought. I expect the points to be from Europe which will be in Pounds or Euro.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
In your initial post to start this thread you mentioned buying costs of $2.50-5.50 per point. That is quite a range. I am not sure where these locations are or what season they are for. There is a great difference in the annual maintenance fees from resort to resort. Some resorts are almost double those of others. However, season is another factor in the points you get for the annual maintenance dollars. We purchased all Platinum Season so that we are getting the maximum amount of points for our maintenance dollars every year from each resort we own. If we purchased Gold, Silver, or Bronze seasons we would be paying the same maintenance but would be getting less points each year for those maintenance dollars.

Therefore, when you state that the $2.50/point developer purchase price is only $1.50 more than the $1.00 purchase price that TUG members speak about for a good resale price you need to compare the resort as well as the season to make an educated decision. Some members here have given opinions about Silver and Bronze season purchases that are almost worthless since the maintenance is so high with respect to the points you get. For example the same resort a $2.50/point price for a 2 BR Silver Week with 3500 points costing $8750 is really not a bargain when a 2BR Platinum week can be purchased for $1.00/point with 7000 points costing $7000. The Platinum week gives you twice the amount of vacation for the same maintenance forever. The $2.50/point price could also be a Bronze season which gives even less points than Silver or at a resort with a very high maintenance and even Platinum Season can be purchased for less than $1.00/point.

hdins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NYC
In your initial post to start this thread you mentioned buying costs of $2.50-5.50 per point. That is quite a range. I am not sure where these locations are or what season they are for. There is a great difference in the annual maintenance fees from resort to resort. Some resorts are almost double those of others. However, season is another factor in the points you get for the annual maintenance dollars. We purchased all Platinum Season so that we are getting the maximum amount of points for our maintenance dollars every year from each resort we own. If we purchased Gold, Silver, or Bronze seasons we would be paying the same maintenance but would be getting less points each year for those maintenance dollars.

Therefore, when you state that the $2.50/point developer purchase price is only $1.50 more than the $1.00 purchase price that TUG members speak about for a good resale price you need to compare the resort as well as the season to make an educated decision. Some members here have given opinions about Silver and Bronze season purchases that are almost worthless since the maintenance is so high with respect to the points you get. For example the same resort a $2.50/point price for a 2 BR Silver Week with 3500 points costing $8750 is really not a bargain when a 2BR Platinum week can be purchased for $1.00/point with 7000 points costing $7000. The Platinum week gives you twice the amount of vacation for the same maintenance forever. The $2.50/point price could also be a Bronze season which gives even less points than Silver or at a resort with a very high maintenance and even Platinum Season can be purchased for less than $1.00/point.

Thanks, This is a good lesson . I found out the location was for Scotland at 2.50. Maintenance is in pounds. I am not sure of the season ( my dumb mistake) . I do know it was for 4 contracts for 20,000 point. I just called to tell them . No Thanks.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Thanks, This is a good lesson . I found out the location was for Scotland at 2.50. Maintenance is in pounds. I am not sure of the season ( my dumb mistake) . I do know it was for 4 contracts for 20,000 point. I just called to tell them . No Thanks.

Glad you figured this out before you made the purchase. Many people like the Scotland resorts.. Personally i prefer to avoid currency exchange for future obligations such as MF, but at least right now the exchange rate is pretty good.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need to purchase a few more developer points to make an elite level . I have been given prices from $2.50 to 5.50 per point . Does it really matter the location or price if all I am trying to do is get extra points.

How much would you really save as compared to the extra MF you would pay? Would you use all those points?

Depending on the season and location, you can buy resale at next to nothing and/or rent for about what MF are depending on where you travel.

Elite might sound great, but they can take away benefits in the future (see terms and conditions). From my brief glance, there is a slight monitory benefit on reservation fees and open season and a little better reservation window (No real benefit to me as I plan and make reservations 9 months out anyways and have never had trouble getting what I want).

The only level that is worth anything by my analysis is Elite Plus and even at $2.50/point, I am pretty sure I will die before the reservation fee and open season savings exceed the $85k that would cost me. Heck, I am pretty sure that even at 2.2% 10 year treasury interest, my 85k will cover all my reservation fees for the year and at least 1 week of open season if I wanted. at $5.5/point, the interest on $187k = 4k.

However, lets say for a second that you really really really wanted that 14k points to be elite, here is what I propose:

Ask them the convert your current deeds to higher level (plat season) point contracts. For example, if you have two 5k points contracts, trade them both in for 2 7k points contracts (or maybe 1 14k+ point contract). If you can keep the same number of deeds at least you control future MF exposure.

If you really want to go all out (and it sounds like you do), look into the Grand Islander resort. Depending you can have 1 deed and be elite plus (at least it controls the number of MF you have).

hdins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NYC
How much would you really save as compared to the extra MF you would pay? Would you use all those points?

Depending on the season and location, you can buy resale at next to nothing and/or rent for about what MF are depending on where you travel.

Elite might sound great, but they can take away benefits in the future (see terms and conditions). From my brief glance, there is a slight monitory benefit on reservation fees and open season and a little better reservation window (No real benefit to me as I plan and make reservations 9 months out anyways and have never had trouble getting what I want).

The only level that is worth anything by my analysis is Elite Plus and even at $2.50/point, I am pretty sure I will die before the reservation fee and open season savings exceed the $85k that would cost me. Heck, I am pretty sure that even at 2.2% 10 year treasury interest, my 85k will cover all my reservation fees for the year and at least 1 week of open season if I wanted. at $5.5/point, the interest on $187k = 4k.

However, lets say for a second that you really really really wanted that 14k points to be elite, here is what I propose:

Ask them the convert your current deeds to higher level (plat season) point contracts. For example, if you have two 5k points contracts, trade them both in for 2 7k points contracts (or maybe 1 14k+ point contract). If you can keep the same number of deeds at least you control future MF exposure.

If you really want to go all out (and it sounds like you do), look into the Grand Islander resort. Depending you can have 1 deed and be elite plus (at least it controls the number of MF you have).
Thanks again for the excellent points. I really needed to stay in NYC Club for a business reasons and found out that the Scotland points will not work there. I could have used the extra points. So I said no thanks.