• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nanea views

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I think it is an under valued benefit of elite status because getting betterviews is not in writing as an elite benefit.
We are 3 star elite and yearly exchange our Westin Luganamar for WKORN-N.
We have never been giving a bad view ...usually partial ocean view but sometimes Oceanfront( the not so great OF units)
Just curious if 4 star or five star always get fantastic views trading in with star options.

I don't think the word "always" can apply because owners making Home Resort reservations have first dibs on the best views, as they should. In my experience, though, it seems that remaining inventory is allocated next to Elite owners making SO reservations. This might not be strictly true, and I don't know the details of how unit assignments are made, but it would seem to make sense. It's also backed up by the fact that when we travel with family or friends and reserve multiple units, we have consistently been assigned one "excellent" unit with the rest being more average units. Think oceanfront, hammerhead section, top floor, golf course view, end unit, etc. Certainly non-Elite owners get assigned these units as well, but our experience since becoming Elite has been very consistent.

secord

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WESTIN KVOR WESTIN LAGUNAMAR HGVC FLAMINGO
Thank you for your reply. Does any one know how the remaining unit assignments are allocated after the Home Resort reservation period?
I also don't know the details but my guess is the following.

5 Star Elite owners followed by 4 Star and 3 Star using SO Reservations
Home Resort Owner's using SO Reservation.
Vistana owner's using SO Reservation
Interval Exchanges with a Vistana Preference
All other Interval Exchanges
SPG Reservations
Getaways

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious if 4 star or five star always get fantastic views trading in with star options.

It's not consistent in our experience.

Booking with SO's has given us anything from low floor mediocre ocean view (if you lean off the balcony and twist over the trees and look into the corner) to top floor ocean front deluxe units.

I guess on the other side of the coin, we've never gotten parking lot view using SO's...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Does any one know how the remaining unit assignments are allocated after the Home Resort reservation period?
I also don't know the details but my guess is the following.

5 Star Elite owners followed by 4 Star and 3 Star using SO Reservations
Home Resort Owner's using SO Reservation.
Vistana owner's using SO Reservation
Interval Exchanges with a Vistana Preference
All other Interval Exchanges
SPG Reservations
Getaways
IIRC, II goes last and they don’t differentiate Vistana preference. Not sure about Getaways. But direct Rentals from them and SPG reservations go right after SO reservations. I was told this at the resort.

secord

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WESTIN KVOR WESTIN LAGUNAMAR HGVC FLAMINGO
Thank You. Good to know.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
View attachment 5155
I really appreciate you sharing your experience with 5*. Hopefully 4* will do something to help view.

Just a comment on Nanea views, we stayed in a 2 bedroom SO trade and had the view of an outhouse and WKORN-N. My wife was very unhappy with the unit, especially compared to the 3 bedroom oceanfront units at the property. After our stay, we were fortunate enough to locate a 3 bedroom EOY oceanfront Nanea resale. We've closed on that, and are doing a requal-tradein purchase that will put us at 4*.

We believe the 3 bedroom (and 2 bedroom) ocean front units at Nanea will be very special for many years to come - we considered buying on the original side but liked the overall feel of Nanea better personally and decided to go for it even though it's a voluntary resort.

View, in our opinion is absolutely critical to making the vacation special and am so glad that Vistana is giving better views to those with Elite status.

We too had that view (photo here) and it's a long way from the worse view Nanea could serve up. It certainly beats the view I have the other 51 weeks of the year :)

DSC_6604.JPG

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
I really appreciate you sharing your experience with 5*. Hopefully 4* will do something to help view.

Just a comment on Nanea views, we stayed in a 2 bedroom SO trade and had the view of an outhouse and WKORN-N. My wife was very unhappy with the unit, especially compared to the 3 bedroom oceanfront units at the property. After our stay, we were fortunate enough to locate a 3 bedroom EOY oceanfront Nanea resale. We've closed on that, and are doing a requal-tradein purchase that will put us at 4*.

We believe the 3 bedroom (and 2 bedroom) ocean front units at Nanea will be very special for many years to come - we considered buying on the original side but liked the overall feel of Nanea better personally and decided to go for it even though it's a voluntary resort.

View, in our opinion is absolutely critical to making the vacation special and am so glad that Vistana is giving better views to those with Elite status.

curious about what you paid for the Nanea resale. First one I've heard about.

Also wondering why people would buy 4 different timeshares? Are you retired?

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

There are many reasons why people would buy more than one timeshare. A few of these reasons might be for some, even if not retired, purchase another TS to experience a different TS system, or to enjoy more than one week at their favorite TS, or maybe they want to be able to share their TS experience with family and/or friends. Thankfully, resales especially, make this more possible for many folks. Happy travels to you!

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score

Lots of reasons why like mauitraveler posted. We've got Disney, Marriott and Vistana. We actually were going to sell Vistana until Nanea came out (we really like the energy/feel/layout) of the resort. We're in our 40s and love to travel -- Even after using all of our timeshares, we still pay for hotel rooms from time to time. When retired, we'll have lots of options to keep traveling or do different things with our time.

We purchased the Nanea week (3 bedroom, ocean front) for 40k (I'm not sure if I would use this as a comp as I have noticed other postings around 45-50K for an annual resort view, maybe got a good deal with a motivated seller?) plus closing costs. Now that I really think about it, I believe we got a really good deal (especially compared with 120K~ from the developer). We are going to requalify it with a trade in so it works just like purchasing from Vistana directly. We feel it combines the best of the original side (true ocean front) with a modern design and is a 3 bedroom unit. Side note: We sold our WKORV-N OF Annual (which we purchased resale) for 30K in one day. PM me if anyone wants the contact info for the broker, as I'm not sure what the rules are on here.

We have purchased most resale (and then requalified)... Except Disney, those were all retail and have all increased in value from our original purchase.

Last edited:

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
we checked in yesterday. an II reservation for 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom. I am 3*elite and platinum SPG. we came around noon. she showed us where we were to be placed and we asked her to check for better. she kept checking and found something she had to get permission for and put us in bldg 2 facing the open space towards WKORVN and we are the first unit closest to the ocean in bldg 2 on the 4 floor. 2411 we have a nice view of the ocean and it's quiet. i said i had a bit of claustrophobia and did not want to look inward at the resort and wanted quiet. i am very happy with the view but not sure if I like Nanea. I prefer the rooms at KORV with the entrance area to drop all our beach stuff and i don't like the kitchen and the bedroom bathroom is just one big room, i prefer the privacy of the other designs. also, some weird glitch, fire alarm twice in the middle of the night telling us to evacuate. i did find out that going early helps. she was moving us into a unit that was assigned to someone else but they hadn't checked in yet and she moved them into our assigned spot. they only assign the day before.

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
we checked in yesterday. an II reservation for 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom. I am 3*elite and platinum SPG. we came around noon. she showed us where we were to be placed and we asked her to check for better. she kept checking and found something she had to get permission for and put us in bldg 2 facing the open space towards WKORVN and we are the first unit closest to the ocean in bldg 2 on the 4 floor. 2411 we have a nice view of the ocean and it's quiet. i said i had a bit of claustrophobia and did not want to look inward at the resort and wanted quiet. i am very happy with the view but not sure if I like Nanea. I prefer the rooms at KORV with the entrance area to drop all our beach stuff and i don't like the kitchen and the bedroom bathroom is just one big room, i prefer the privacy of the other designs. also, some weird glitch, fire alarm twice in the middle of the night telling us to evacuate. i did find out that going early helps. she was moving us into a unit that was assigned to someone else but they hadn't checked in yet and she moved them into our assigned spot. they only assign the day before.
Interesting story for you for comparison. We also traded through II (Marriott and Hyatt owners but not Vistana). We also checked in on Dec 8 around 2pm. We first got placed into 2305 so third floor and in the back of the building. I was very unhappy with the view since most of it was mountains and open space (during presentation they claimed Vistana owns that space but gave it back to the county?) They should have used some of it to create more ocean facing views at Nanea and more pools...So I am quite skeptical of that version of the story)...Anyway after speaking with them at least five times a nice manager placed us directly above but 3 floors up into 2605 for the last two nights. We did NOT like Nanea because it was clear that even if they have a better view to offer, it takes a rare customer service oriented manager to give that to an II exchanger...We stayed at the Fairmont Kea lani for two more nights after the nanea week and boy was that a very different experience. Everything is about the guest.
I am glad you got placed a bit higher and toward the front of the building..I would have been happier about the first five nights if I got that from the outset :)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Interesting story for you for comparison. We also traded through II (Marriott and Hyatt owners but not Vistana). We also checked in on Dec 8 around 2pm. We first got placed into 2305 so third floor and in the back of the building. I was very unhappy with the view since most of it was mountains and open space (during presentation they claimed Vistana owns that space but gave it back to the county?) They should have used some of it to create more ocean facing views at Nanea and more pools...So I am quite skeptical of that version of the story)...Anyway after speaking with them at least five times a nice manager placed us directly above but 3 floors up into 2605 for the last two nights. We did NOT like Nanea because it was clear that even if they have a better view to offer, it takes a rare customer service oriented manager to give that to an II exchanger...We stayed at the Fairmont Kea lani for two more nights after the nanea week and boy was that a very different experience. Everything is about the guest.
I am glad you got placed a bit higher and toward the front of the building..I would have been happier about the first five nights if I got that from the outset :)

There's a tripadvisor review that mentions one of the front desk staff "Jade" who definitely comes up short in the customer service department. We also dealt with her. We didn't make any fuss about our room because it was what we expected and the place seemed full. We did offer to swap out our two bedroom unit for a one bedroom unit with a better view, as there were just two of us and her disdain for us, the lowly II exchangers couldn't have been more noticeable. A smile and a statement of "thank you, but we have everyone placed already" would have been much better than the dismissive wave of the hand with the statement that "you already have one of our best rooms". (Not true, but whatever). Hers is the only employee name that I remember, but not for a good reason. We were fine with our room placement but not with the treatment that we received from the front desk.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I think with regards views the old adage of you can't please all the people all of the time is never more true. Just on this thread we have two people (myself included with the photo taken from 2507) who were perfectly happy with the views from building 2 and two people who looked upon it as an awful view. As I said, to me it beat the cube wall I look at for the other 51 weeks of the year and certainly beats the many parking lot views Nanea has on offer. If you want a guaranteed view then pay the $ and buy it rather than gamble on getting it through a trade.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I was very unhappy with the view since most of it was mountains and open space (during presentation they claimed Vistana owns that space but gave it back to the county?)

I don't believe this is true. I believe this has always been a designated view/public access/water run-off green belt owned by the County of Maui.

As far as your location, it is unfortunate that you were unhappy with the view, but I think you may have had unrealistic expectations with an exchange. Owners at the resort, Vistana Owners, and guests who rent directly from Vistana have higher priority than exchangers. As an exchanger, you just can't expect to have high priority. This is the standard in the industry - no matter where you stay.

We stayed at the Fairmont Kea lani for two more nights after the nanea week and boy was that a very different experience. Everything is about the guest.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited:

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think with regards views the old adage of you can't please all the people all of the time is never more true. Just on this thread we have two people (myself included with the photo taken from 2507) who were perfectly happy with the views from building 2 and two people who looked upon it as an awful view. As I said, to me it beat the cube wall I look at for the other 51 weeks of the year and certainly beats the many parking lot views Nanea has on offer. If you want a guaranteed view then pay the $ and buy it rather than gamble on getting it through a trade.
Unfortunately there is a biflg difference between 3rd and 5th floor. Also 2507 is two units closer to the ocean. 2305 was not a good ocean view. When we moved to 2605 for the last two nights, it was a big improvement.

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe this is true. I believe this has always been a designated view/public access/water run-off green belt owned by the County of Maui.

As far as your location, it is unfortunate that you were unhappy with the view, but I think you may have had unrealistic expectations with an exchange. Owners at the resort, Vistana Owners, and guests who rent directly from Vistana have higher priority than exchangers. As an exchanger, you just can't expect to have high priority. This is the standard in the industry - no matter where you stay.

Fortunately there is a simple solution for us that will entail a beautiful ocena view. We picked Nanea thinking it is new and pretty but always stay at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club (we are Marriott and Hyatt owners, but not Vistana). With II exchanges, the MOC room assignment is very simple. You are guaranteed the view category that the owner deposited (unlike Nanea). With II's 24 hour cancellation policy, I just call MOC give them the confirmation number and find out what exactly the view category is and then cancel if I don't like it. Works like magic and has given us ocean front units. Also the smell of sewage was not my thing and the beach path is not well lit or as walkable as the one by MOC. The beach is also nicer there. We tried Nanea out but won't stay there again.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
As a Marriott owner, that is a much better plan. However, I do not believe that there is any "guarantee" with a Marriott exchange. You are likely to be assigned to the unit on your confirmtion, but the resort reserves the right to assign you to any available unit.

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
i give a thumbs down to Nanea too after 2 weeks here. way way too many small children and only one pool. great if you have young kids. i think all the other kids from KORV are coming over here too. the beach is washed out, and they don't rent chairs on this beach. the smell of sewage is real and daily. we have been going over to KOR and KORN and enjoy it so much more. the whole vibe of this place isn't as fun.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is it crowded by the plunge pools too? That seems like an area that is designed for adults.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unfortunately there is a biflg difference between 3rd and 5th floor. Also 2507 is two units closer to the ocean. 2305 was not a good ocean view. When we moved to 2605 for the last two nights, it was a big improvement.

Must admit that my memory isn't what it used to be but I thought the units on the S side of bldg 2 were numbered 03, 05, 07, 09, 11 from front to back but obviously with 07 being in the middle I could have got that the wrong way around. To me, more of a concern than the view or the occasional sewage whiff (I know this varies dependent upon atmospheric conditions/winds etc.) was the fact that they were using the end of bldg 2 as the turnaround point for the shuttles and delivery trucks so throughout the day you had the constant beeping of the reversing alarms.

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it crowded by the plunge pools too? That seems like an area that is designed for adults.
I did not find any plunge pools and only found one pool and some decorative ponds.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

I agree with Denise. I am 3* but I exchanged in, so did not have any expectations for view, fully expecting a 'garden' view at best.
I requested a unit above the ground floor, and was assigned 2206, sure 2nd floor only and it looked out into the courtyard. But it wasn't a parking lot view, or in the buildings on the other side by the plunge pools. I was happy to get a unit for a little more than half of what it could cost me to reserve with star options. To each their own, but it is simply not worth it to us timewise to move all our stuff over to another unit after the first day. Once we get ensconced and set-up, we're done with packing until we have to leave; vacation time is too precious to waste...

Actually my best unit assignments at other Vistana resorts were when I did not make any special building requests and booked for a block 7 days.
I got a fabulous view at Lagunamar at the end of March, building 14, top floor. It was a bit 'wasted' on us LOL because we were out and about most of the time.

It was not crowded on the plunge pool side when we were there a few weeks ago.

Must admit that my memory isn't what it used to be but I thought the units on the S side of bldg 2 were numbered 03, 05, 07, 09, 11 from front to back but obviously with 07 being in the middle I could have got that the wrong way around. To me, more of a concern than the view or the occasional sewage whiff (I know this varies dependent upon atmospheric conditions/winds etc.) was the fact that they were using the end of bldg 2 as the turnaround point for the shuttles and delivery trucks so throughout the day you had the constant beeping of the reversing alarms.

Yes the south side (towards Lahaina) units are odd numbered, and the north side (towards Kapalua) units were even numbered. We were in 06, and it was
about mid-way down the hallway. Actually I think the south facing units are better in the winter because they get the morning sun. Sun was in rather short supply when we were there :-(

Last edited:

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
i give a thumbs down to Nanea too after 2 weeks here. way way too many small children and only one pool. great if you have young kids. i think all the other kids from KORV are coming over here too. the beach is washed out, and they don't rent chairs on this beach. the smell of sewage is real and daily. we have been going over to KOR and KORN and enjoy it so much more. the whole vibe of this place isn't as fun.
I did not feel that the spirit of Aloha was alive at this resort. Their marketing shtick is that facets of Hawaiian culture are incorporated throughout and there's a special cultural room but it's so poorly integrated into the guest experience. Case in point, when we checked in we were not even given any information regarding resort's activities and had to later get them from the concierge. I also did not see anybody attending any of the resort activities while we were there. We also were not handed towel cards when we checked in. Finally, and I might just be spoiled by staying on the other side of Kaanapali Beach at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club, but for example to walk on the beach path from Nanea to Whalers Village, you have to pass through a bunch of other small resorts that are more inland, so the views of the ocean are far less interesting. I used to really enjoy walking on the beach path from Hyatt Regency and ultimately all the way to Sheraton Black Rock. A much more interesting walk that one can do super early or late since the path is lit. I was not able to walk early in the mornings or late at night at Nanea because it was pitch dark and path was not lit.

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Denise. I am 3* but I exchanged in, so did not have any expectations for view, fully expecting a 'garden' view at best.
I requested a unit above the ground floor, and was assigned 2206, sure 2nd floor only and it looked out into the courtyard. But it wasn't a parking lot view, or in the buildings on the other side by the plunge pools. I was happy to get a unit for a little more than half of what it could cost me to reserve with star options. To each their own, but it is simply not worth it to us timewise to move all our stuff over to another unit after the first day. Once we get ensconced and set-up, we're done with packing until we have to leave; vacation time is too precious to waste...

Actually my best unit assignments at other Vistana resorts were when I did not make any special building requests and booked for a block 7 days.
I got a fabulous view at Lagunamar at the end of March, building 14, top floor. It was a bit 'wasted' on us LOL because we were out and about most of the time.

It was not crowded on the plunge pool side when we were there a few weeks ago.

Yes the south side (towards Lahaina) units are odd numbered, and the north side (towards Kapalua) units were even numbered. We were in 06, and it was
about mid-way down the hallway. Actually I think the south facing units are better in the winter because they get the morning sun. Sun was in rather short supply when we were there :-(
It sounds like you have a fantastic attitude regarding views that enabled you to feel great about the entire Nanea stay, which is awesome. For me personally, in Hawaii, the view is very important. We had some amazing views in the Lahaina tower of Marriott Maui Ocean Club so that has certainly been my implicit benchmark for subsequent Maui views. We chose Nanea over MOC because we thought it was new and should be better, but I really missed my MOC throughout our stay. It is truly special and has a special spirit of aloha to it. Also I forgot to mention, but the food at Nanea was really bad. Granted, MOC's restaurant might not be exactly Monkeypod but the Nanea pool bar literally served our kids "turkey" slides with meat made out of what looked like barely cooked breakfast sausage patty. The pizza they served was on paper thin dough that looked like something from a frozen dinner container.