• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Names on Deeds

skotm

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I list names on the deed, to get the free guest check-in, will they be financially responsible if something were to happen to me? Or Am I getting my terminology messed up -- Just got off a 7:30 am work conference call and already did that once today...

This is for when I initially purchase a resale contract.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding if a name is on the deed there is liability for fees. The fees need to be paid by someone to have continued access to the account.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Avislo is correct, they will be responsible for MF. Best to leave them off unless they want that responsibility. The GC cert fee would be less then what they will pay in MF they will have to pay while trying to get rid of it, if they don’t want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes but only on that one contract. So I bought a 126k EOY Grand Desert for that reason. I put mother in law and four adult children on the deed. My oldest didn't want to be on the deed as she felt that we were sticking it to her (by making her VIP Gold.)

You have to re-deed and pay $299 if you do it on something that you already own, so that is why I picked up a cheap MF contract.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
On a somewhat related note, has anyone formed a trust for timeshare deeds as opposed to using direct names? Is there a thread on this elsewhere that I can review in detail? I just purchased two used timeshares for PIC usage and on the legal paperwork there's an option to use a trust along this line. What are the pros and cons?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We have all our timeshares deeded to our living trust. We are obviously the trustees.
If you start to create a 'phantom' trust with an LLC or unrelated trustees etc... you may have issues.

The trust means no probate and no loss of use/rental upon death of the owners. Makes it easy to continue using/renting/selling the property for the remaining trustee(s)_ or the executor.
Timeshares (deeded) may suffer from multi-state probate if the owners are diseased without will or trust etc...

No real cons if originally deeded to trust other than cost of forming/funding trust.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We talked about doing this but we were told that it wouldn't bypass putting names on deeds directly

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I can't speak for Wyndham.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To me, it is well worth it to have additional names on the deed. While there may be some obligation on the part of the added person, that is far outweighed by the ability to reserve additional rooms for the same nights, coupled with being able to have your friend or relative check in without a guest certificate.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I bought a 126k EOY Grand Desert for that reason. I put mother in law and four adult children on the deed. My oldest didn't want to be on the deed as she felt that we were sticking it to her (by making her VIP Gold.)

So she felt she would be financially burdened in what will hopefully be years down the road when you, your husband and MIL are all gone should none of her other 4 siblings on that deed be able to pay the maintenance fees for that deed and only that deed? And those maintenance fees for 126k EOY are probably no more than maybe $375 a year?

It might be best that she isn't on the account. She could be one of those people we sometimes see here on TUG wanting to get rid of their parents worthless gold or platinum VIP timeshare ownership.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
On a somewhat related note, has anyone formed a trust for timeshare deeds as opposed to using direct names? Is there a thread on this elsewhere that I can review in detail? I just purchased two used timeshares for PIC usage and on the legal paperwork there's an option to use a trust along this line. What are the pros and cons?
I assume you already have your family trust set up and that you know the pros/cons of having ALL your assets in the family trust. Most of our timeshares are in our family trust. The ones that aren't get a 'shame on you' from our attorney and a 'I'll get to it at some point' response from me. It's best to put your timeshares in your trust if it's your intent to have them passed them on in a stress free manner when the inevitable occurs. I would put them in the trust at the time of purchase as it's a heck of a lot easier (and cheaper) to do it when making the purchase than it is to chase down an attorney, sometimes in another state, when you finally decide that the timeshares should be in the trust along with everything else you plan on passing along. We've not have problems putting non-Wyndham timeshares in our trust.

The process with a Wyndham Developer purchase is a multi-step process, when I did it last, and there was an extra charge involved (less than $200, if I recall). We have a recent purchase that I currently need to move to the trust, but, we've decided to have a chat with the Adult Children before we actually make the effort to get it done. We think we know what they want us to do, but, we need to confirm. They do use our points from time to time. If they want the timeshares, we really need to make sure that we've put them in the trust. Our view on the family trust is that it's just another gift, the gift of simplicity with settling an estate. We're very good about having our assets in the trust or having the trust set as the beneficiary/TOD for an asset.

On another issue, do you mind sharing the Timeshares you chose for your PIC's. I contemplating the purchase of a 3BR to replace a 2BR we currently have PIC'd?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I contemplating the purchase of a 3BR to replace a 2BR we currently have PIC'd?

It is my understanding that you cannot just substitute one PIC for another. That you would have to make a minimum developer purchase to be able to do add the 3BR. Do you know if this is correct? OP have talked about going through corporate telesales to do that for the least amount of money.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We talked about doing this but we were told that it wouldn't bypass putting names on deeds directly
My wife and I are listed as the Trustees on our Deeds. If you wanted another person on the deed, I'm sure this could be done.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is my understanding that you cannot just substitute one PIC for another. That you would have to make a minimum developer purchase to be able to do add the 3BR. Do you know if this is correct? OP have talked about going through corporate telesales to do that for the least amount of money.
I know that. A small purchase at this point would get me to Platinum, so I'd do all this at the same time via corporate sales.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I know that. A small purchase at this point would get me to Platinum, so I'd do all this at the same time via corporate sales.

Sorry and thanks. I was wanting someone to clarify that as we've had several new or thinking of being Wyndham owners asking about PIC's lately.

There has been a lot of discussion about whether or not the VIP benefits are worth it anymore. You are apparently already gold and know how often you are able to use those benefits. And you know your own finances. For the cost of a minimal developer purchase and a PIC to go to platinum certainly seems like a smart move to me.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I assume you already have your family trust set up and that you know the pros/cons of having ALL your assets in the family trust. Most of our timeshares are in our family trust. The ones that aren't get a 'shame on you' from our attorney and a 'I'll get to it at some point' response from me. It's best to put your timeshares in your trust if it's your intent to have them passed them on in a stress free manner when the inevitable occurs. I would put them in the trust at the time of purchase as it's a heck of a lot easier (and cheaper) to do it when making the purchase than it is to chase down an attorney, sometimes in another state, when you finally decide that the timeshares should be in the trust along with everything else you plan on passing along. We've not have problems putting non-Wyndham timeshares in our trust.

The process with a Wyndham Developer purchase is a multi-step process, when I did it last, and there was an extra charge involved (less than $200, if I recall). We have a recent purchase that I currently need to move to the trust, but, we've decided to have a chat with the Adult Children before we actually make the effort to get it done. We think we know what they want us to do, but, we need to confirm. They do use our points from time to time. If they want the timeshares, we really need to make sure that we've put them in the trust. Our view on the family trust is that it's just another gift, the gift of simplicity with settling an estate. We're very good about having our assets in the trust or having the trust set as the beneficiary/TOD for an asset.

On another issue, do you mind sharing the Timeshares you chose for your PIC's. I contemplating the purchase of a 3BR to replace a 2BR we currently have PIC'd?

Thanks for the advice on trusts. We have not yet formed a trust for assets but plan to do so around age 50 once the kids are (we hope) all out of the house and living independently.

For my PICs I found both on eBay. One was thru Sumday in Outer Bank Beach Club I, $736 MF Gold Crown rated resort, fixed week 42 in red season, 3 bdrm unit. The second was thru J&J in Colonies in Williamsburg, $780 MF Gold Crown rated resort, fixed week 37 in red season, 4 bdrm unit. Both are in process now.

We specifically chose PICs in our region within decent driving distance in case we want to use the weeks in any one year instead of trading them for Wyndham points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There has been a lot of discussion about whether or not the VIP benefits are worth it anymore. You are apparently already gold and know how often you are able to use those benefits. And you know your own finances. For the cost of a minimal developer purchase and a PIC to go to platinum certainly seems like a smart move to me.
I'd been following the discussions. I made a mistake when I PIC'd the 2BR to get to Silver. I fixed that with a 3BR getting to gold. A small purchase to get that extra 100K for a 3BR PIC is worth a small purchase to me. Not ready to do it now as I don't yet have the need for more points. I value the VIP and have VIP from Developer/PIC plus Ebay points. I did not go the most efficient route, but, I'm ok with where I am.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For my PICs I found both on eBay. One was thru Sumday in Outer Bank Beach Club I IIRC, mid 736 MF Gold Crown rated resort, fixed week 42 in red season, 3 bdrm unit. The second was the J&J in Colonies in Williamsburg, 780 MF Gold Crown rated resort, fixed week 37 in red season, 4 bdrm unit. Both are in process now.

Super, the PICable resort was what I was looking to know. Your strategy is very good.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Super, the PICable resort was what I was looking to know. Your strategy is very good.

Are you looking to make a PIC transaction soon? If so are you working with anyone from telesales yet? If not I can refer you to who I am working with, just PM me for details.