• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Survey

katie lucille

Reaction score
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where? We like to explore new places all the time! We alternate between an international trip and domestic trips. We also spend several weeks away in New England a year.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? Probably always trade.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Basically anywhere, we are spontaneous and would like to explore just about anywhere (off-season travel is my thing!). When traveling internationally I usually stay in Airbnbs but having a resort is appealing now for some of the locations we are looking to travel from a safety standpoint.

4) How many people do you usually travel with? Just me and my fiance, sometimes we take my Dad with us and sometimes our two best friends travel with us. Two bedrooms and or a one bedroom with a pull out sofa is perfect.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? Anytime! I do prefer off-season.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? I am a planner but I'm trying to be more open to traveling on a whim (not in my personality but I did go plan a trip overseas in two months... I survived haha)

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Yes, but it is my understanding that if we booked a week we could call the resort and tell them we are checking in later if we were staying for a shorter period of time...

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 3-5

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? $2,000 down.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? Would prefer EOY but if yearly $500.00 the one I rescinded was $650 EOY which I liked as a newbie...

11) Are you a detail-oriented planner? Yup.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes, we are young and I like the idea of having something that we can travel for life once paid off and only be responsible for maintaince fees. I also understand they increase over the years and there are trade fees...
Additional Information/Questions:
Other info I'd like to add. The one we looked at had an RCI component, I really liked the idea of having last calls that we pay cash for. I think I would utilize this a lot.
I liked the idea of having a timeshare that I could trade and pick another location at any time. I'd like to start very small with small points (if you think that type is right for us) and see how we like it before upgrading to something more.
The one we looked at was $10,500 pts (small motel in Maine) EOY, they said we could upgrade it to a different unit valued at more pts at any time and what we paid for it would come off the balance of the bigger one. Do all work that way or would you have to basically give away what you have and purchase another?

Maybe you'll all say this isn't the right adventure for us at all... that's okay also! I'd rather know. But I've very intrigued...
Best,

Katherine

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
If I were in your situation, I would go for a deed with RCI points attached... preferably one managed by VRI, which would give you home group priority at other VRI managed properties.

With RCI Points you have the flexibility of booking the number of nights and unit size you need. The exchange fees are lower than with RCI Weeks and are based on the number of nights you book. Some resorts also add a housekeeping fee to shorter stays.

If you acquired a biennial or triennial contract your annual fees could be under $500. Of course there are the ever-increasing RCI fees on top of the maintenance fees... but your costs would still come in a lot lower than non-timeshare costs.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think you are a good candidate to own a timeshare because of these 2 responses: 1) Timesharing works best with advanced planning, and 2) $500 per year is on the very low side. If you wait until the last minute to try to find a timeshare exchange, you get the leftovers.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? I am a planner but I'm trying to be more open to traveling on a whim (not in my personality but I did go plan a trip overseas in two months... I survived haha)

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? Would prefer EOY but if yearly $500.00 the one I rescinded was $650 EOY which I liked as a newbie...

Last edited:

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Hi katie lucille,
Welcome to TUG!

There are two big exchange companies that timeshare owners could use: RCI and Interval International. There are also several smaller exchange companies. Your resort should be affiliated with at least one exchange company. RCI offers the most timeshares to exchange into, while Interval seems to offer better quality resorts.

Here are the resorts listed with RCI located around the world:
https://www.rci.com/resort-director...sorts_and_Offers&track3=Text:Resort_Directory

Here are Interval resorts located around the world:
https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1500

The exchange companies do not “own” timeshares. What happens is members deposit their timeshare week to trade and use someone else’s timeshare week. When you login to your exchange company website, you will see what is currently available for you. What you see available is based on the week of the year of your unit, location, season, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, etc. If there is a specific resort, region, state, country, etc. that you would like to travel to you can put in an ongoing search.

Some people like to pick their Home Resort within driving distance, in case they can’t fly one year. If you decide to purchase a timeshare definitely purchase it resale. Try to buy the most desirable week, destination, and unit configuration; that way it will be a desirable trader.

I think what you were saying about making travel plans 12 months in advance, was that you are a very good planner, but you would like to be more spontaneous. Timeshare planning usually starts at least a year before your travel week, but for the Last Calls and Extra Vacations you can be more spontaneous.