• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Survey

Some_Devil

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Resort Clearwater Beach
Hello, I was told to post here after we just rescinded a contract with Wyndham that my mother in law purchased. We are still interested but now looking resale obviously.

1) Isthere a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

We live in Florida and enjoy close to home, beach and Orlando destinations. Would like to visit some smoky mountains type areas as well.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

If our home resort was close yes. But we like being able to have lots of options.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Keys, Smoky mountains, NYC, Nashville, DC

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

4- 2 adults and 2 kids

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

Pretty much school schedule commited.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes at times.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

We much prefer shorter vacations. Long weekends, 3-5 days etc. Due to work schedules it's hard for us to take full weeks all year but we can do probably at least 1 a year.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

3.5 and up

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

Let's say $2k

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

We were thinking between $200-$300/month

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

Yes very

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
While there are others with more experience answering questions like this, let me offer a couple of thoughts to start. You're scenario sounds familiar in that your destination set is similar to how ours started out. RCI and Wyndham both offer a lot of options in the areas you are referring to and I'd suggest you consider those two systems as part of your investigation.

RCI has access to a LOT of resorts - BUT - and this is where TUG comes in very helpful - the quality of resort offered through RCI varies wildly. Researching a specific RCI resort is crucial. The resort reviews on TUG can be helpful for this but TUG does NOT have reviews on every resort and a you may find some TUG reviews to be quite old. When it comes to RCI resorts, you will have to carefully read and scrutinize other internet based resources. Remember that any resort can opt to be a part of RCI so you might think of RCI as something like the Wal Mart of resorts (except that comparison weakens when it comes to fees.....:mad:)

RCI offers you quantity.

Wyndham has far fewer resorts, but on the average, Wyndham resorts tend to be in better shape than many RCI resorts because Wyndham properties are built and controlled by efforts coordinated by Wyndham. There is a little more consistency within the Wyndham resort but there can be stinkers as well (again, read and research)!

Map of RCI resorts:
https://www.rci.com/resort-directory/map-view

Wyndham offers you more consistency than RCI.

You mentioned your destination list included the Keys, Smoky mountains, NYC, Nashville, DC
Wyndham has no properties in the Keys, but DOES have properties in the other areas you mention. Check out this resource:
https://www.clubwyndham.com/cw/resorts.page

Check out the bargain section of resorts for sale within TUG.
See this post for a visual on how to access if you cannot find it
..and be sure to check out the bargain basement!

A final thought: you mentioned shorter vacations - in my experience, I have found Wyndham works better for shorter vacations because of the many fees RCI seems to like to hit us with for stays less than 7 days.

Last edited:

Some_Devil

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Resort Clearwater Beach
Thanks for the helpful information!

Since we are very close to several of the well reviewed Wyndham resorts I'm leaning towards that program. I'm trying to weigh my options on a Club Wyndham Access contract vs the Club Wyndham program at a specific resort.