• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Survey - Based in Canada

KazInVan

Reaction score
Hello,

Just starting my research on timeshares, and think it might be a good option for my family. We are based in Vancouver, Canada and often used to travel to hot destinations during the winter. We now have twins (4 years old) and if we are going to buy a timeshare it seems like a good time to do so.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
Usually Hawaii or Mexico as there are direct flights making it easy, but eastern Caribbean islands or other resort locations a possibility too. We want to continue visiting some of the hot destinations (Hawaii, Caribbean) but I see Disneyland/world in our future as well. We might also make shorter trips to Las Vegas, Palm Springs, or San Diego.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Not set in stone, if the resort it nice I can see going every other year. Definitely want to travel to different places though.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Hawaii, Mexico, Florida, California, Europe/Asia (possible?)

4) How many people do you usually travel with?
2 adults, 2 kids.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
Kids are not in school now but will be next year, so will be locked into the schedule (Canadian, so might differ a bit from USA?)

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
4-5 (mostly for my wife, I could lay on the beach with a sleeping bag and a six pack :)

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
I can plan if forced.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
I do.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Well ... Worldmark the Club might fit the bill except for the "4-5 Star" criteria. I'd say WM is mostly 3-star, although the Penthouse and Presidential units, where offered, are outstanding.

As for your requested locations, WM has resorts in HI (Hawaii, Kauai and Maui), Mexico (Cabo, Rosarito Beach, Zihuatanejo and Quintana Roo), Caribbean (St. Thomas -- but only smaller units), San Diego (4 locations), Disneyland, Disneyworld, Las Vegas (multiple locations), Palm Springs/Indio (multiple locations) ... and ... Canada BC (Vancouver and Victoria) and Alberta. What more could one ask from one club?!?

WM is a flexible point system ... allowing you to chose any size unit, any check-in date, any length of stay, etc. Upfront costs and dues for a "starter" WM account (~10,000 to 15,000 annual credits) would run far, far below your stated thresholds and would generally secure 2BR unit for a week (+/- depending on specific location).

The unit interiors and clean, fully equipped ... but not "high end." Overall, it has been a good club for us the past many years! Best wishes with your research.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Since you are west . I would research Worldmark on TUG . Has drive to resorts nearer to you & others in some of your destinations
Lots of happy owners due to flexibility .

Shell (owned by Wyndham ) has west resorts . The MF are in the $1200 -$1500 range for useful points ( per my reading TUG ). You can get the contracts given to you for free with next years points already paid by "seller" . I understand the resorts quality is good .BUT not a trader based on MF AND if you decide to exit - you will pay someone to take it away for free ( the same way you got it ) .

You can trade into (non AI) Mexico fairly easily ( excepting Feb and March ( & Christmas/ New Years / Easter ) since Mexican resorts have tended to
build for peak snowbird season .
You can also rent - see TUG Marketplace and the 45 day rental section

Orlando and Las Vegas are easy trades or rentals

skip thinking about Europe & Asia TS (for now) . In Europe TS are not generally in cities ( AIR B&B or similar is a better route )
Carribean has mostly AI - which can be cheaper through Canadian airline packages.

All of the above can be done for less than your listed budget .
There is a very recent TUG thread on Worldmark worth reading ( will add name )

added (Thread is)-What can be done with 6000 WM credits -started Oct 13 2017
by DaveNW - an experienced TS owner in the Seattle area .

That leaves Hawaii - if you own (top resorts) in Hawaii the MF would /could be $2500 + , and some resales for some resorts could be 5K -20K .
This could make sense -IF - you want to go to Hawaii every year (or every other year - with an EOY ownership) BUT -which island / which resort etc .
I would explore Hawaii by first renting TS from owners .

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with WorldMark, but also wonder if you might be a good candidate for Marriott destination points. They have resorts in every one of your locations (including Europe and asia) although the disneyland choice is on the coast so not super convenient. But they have lots of Hawaii/Caribbean plus Vegas, Orlando, palm Springs, San Diego, etc. I guess you would have to trade for Mexico, but that is easy.

Destination points are expensive even resale, but are flexible, and would better meet your 4-5 star criteria than WorldMark, albeit for probably 2-3x more money, both upfront and ongoing. It would be doable within your stated budget.

KazInVan

Reaction score
Everyone, thanks so much for your feedback. This is helpful, I'll do some research starting with WorldMark.

Mike