• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Realtor Interviews and Fear of Selling Our Home

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Air bed laugh:

I had a house up for sale 10+ years ago but the realtor whined that an empty house does not show very well. I should 'stage' it (and of course, realtor had a suggested $$$ vendor).

The last three houses I've bought have all been empty. I found, that for me, it was easier to visualize what my stuff would look like when there wasn't anything there. Our last realtor said that most people need to have the staging in order to visualize how a house could be set up.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Air bed laugh:

I had a house up for sale 10+ years ago but the realtor whined that an empty house does not show very well. I should 'stage' it (and of course, realtor had a suggested $$$ vendor).

I decided MAYBE she was right .. but I had a different way to do it. I went down to a 'resale' furiture store (across the street from a 55+ newer development) and brought some "staging furniture". The store also delivered the furniture for free. As for the MBR (the only bedroom I put furniture in), I brought a Queen size air mattress, and used a headboard from the used furniture store, plant pots from the new bushes just planted under the air mattress. Threw a bedspread over the airmattress. Looked good; cheap cost to me.

Except I still got no offers but got better reviews from realtors. And I still own that mortgage free house. And I still renting it out ... at $1675 + utilities.

BUT my handiman came in to fix a 'running' master BDR toilet. He opened the door, saw LR & DR furniture, LEFT immediately to call me and claimed someone had moved in. "oh, that is my staging furniture" was my replied. He went back in, walked into the MBR and dropped his tool box on MY staging bed .. except the airmattress flipping into the air, dumping his tool box onto the floor and scared the 'crap' out of him. He told he later, he screamed ... when he demanded that I never do that again.

I politely asked him, if he would have dropped his tool box on his mother's bed (OCD clean freak mother)?

BUT I now always remind him if a place is empty or occupied.

LOL! The first five years we were in business we had a showroom that had a corner with a window treatment, bedside table, and bed mock up that was the size of half a twin bed (so stubby). People were forever sitting on it despite the discreet sign that said not to. It was ok if they sat and stayed still, but if they plopped down with sample books it would eventually skew sideways and drop about a foot with a WHOMP. It didn't do any damage to anything but always scared the hell out of the person who'd sat down, and then those of us in the showroom that day had to do our best to cover up our smiles and snickers.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I've told the story before about our home just before this one. Beautiful 3 story painted lady Victorian. Pink with ivory trim with accents of burgundy, hunter green and mint. Absolutely magnificent. And the freakin' realtor wanted us to paint it white or green or any color besides pink. It was my dream home, if not in my dream area. Took us 10 months to sell that house -- 10 months where we already owned the current house, so two mortgage payments. Two years later we were refinancing our current home and they'd pulled the old home as part of the comps (10 minutes away from this one). Comment on the comp was that it had taken 10 months to sell because it was an "undesirable style". Um, how about it was 2010/2011 and the market sucked at that time.

Attachments

• Meyler01.JPG
    Meyler01.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 58

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not for us. We love a home with fewer but large bedrooms. It depends on who is the buyer. I would say don't do anything to increase the number of bedrooms. If it is a working couple looking for a second getaway home, I would think their preference is like ours. Since it is a way out from everywhere I think it is more likely you won't get many young families wanting to drive the distance to schools etc.

I like this. I might even have a contractor come out and estimate how much it would cost and add that to the notes of the listing.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I read your initial post this morning but could not respond then. In the meantime, you've had lots of good advise. However, my gut feeling upon reading that first post is that your heart is not really ready for this. You will know when it is. Wishing you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I've told the story before about our home just before this one. Beautiful 3 story painted lady Victorian. Pink with ivory trim with accents of burgundy, hunter green and mint. Absolutely magnificent. And the freakin' realtor wanted us to paint it white or green or any color besides pink. It was my dream home, if not in my dream area. Took us 10 months to sell that house -- 10 months where we already owned the current house, so two mortgage payments. Two years later we were refinancing our current home and they'd pulled the old home as part of the comps (10 minutes away from this one). Comment on the comp was that it had taken 10 months to sell because it was an "undesirable style". Um, how about it was 2010/2011 and the market sucked at that time.

Wow. Really pretty home! Not all these realtors know what they are talking about.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I read your initial post this morning but could not respond then. In the meantime, you've had lots of good advise. However, my gut feeling upon reading that first post is that your heart is not really ready for this. You will know when it is. Wishing you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

I actually have come around to the reality of the situation. I got through some emotions and the fear that was strangling me and am now at the "Just Do It" phase.

I am trying to chill now for a little bit. I know once the house is listed and we start with doing the pre-inspection and dealing with all the issues and logistics that are involved, my stress level will go up. I will just have to get through it. At least we have vacations coming up! Yay!

I know that in order to move forward with our lives and to put ourselves in a better situation as we get older, divesting ourselves of this house has to happen. Might as well start the process now because there is a lot involved. Would have to do it sooner or later anyway.

If we had the money, this would not be stressful. We would just buy that little house we love in NH right now and put our current house up for sale later when my husband retires at the end of the year. But that is just not our reality. We know the chances of getting that little house are slim to none. But no matter what- we will be in the same situation over and over again if we do not sell this house first. So be it.

If the house doesn't sell this time around- well- we still have a house to live in and at least we would have gotten it prepared for a future sale through the inspection.

Hopefully, we will find a decent rental that is not too expensive.We are not used to paying like $2000-$3000 per month- our taxes here are $825 per month. We would be lucky to find something $1500 per month. This is going to involve taking money out of savings to make up for the difference each month and also to pay for a storage unit.

I have also been preparing for some time now to deal with the fact that it is possible we will not find another little house and community in NH that we want to live in. If that happens- another option would be Vermont- despite the tax hell hole that it is (amongst other things I won't get into here because they are political) but we do love the state- my favorite. The housing issue could be hard there also. At that point- we will proceed to PA or Delaware where there are a lot more options and tax friendly.

Then from there it will be throwing a dart on a map.

We might consider a state like Tennessee- Smokey Mountains- but never been there or any of the southern states except Florida and Virginia. Don't like intense heat and humidity or major tornadoes or hurricanes, reptiles or big bugs.

Worse comes to worse- there is out West- Nevada maybe, Colorado, Idaho-which we like also- most of the Western states- not too crazy about desert and intense heat though- just so far from our son and friends and family- even for the rare occasions we do get to see them- at least we can drive to see them.

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just read this thread today. I was going to write that you obsess too much; just make a decision and get going. It looks like you have. Hooray. This will be more fun than you think. And you will love your next house.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Just read this thread today. I was going to write that you obsess too much; just make a decision and get going. It looks like you have. Hooray. This will be more fun than you think. And you will love your next house.

Thanks. Yes. I have an overactive mind and then mix in my feelings and I am crazy. LOL!

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually have come around to the reality of the situation. I got through some emotions and the fear that was strangling me and am now at the "Just Do It" phase.

I am trying to chill now for a little bit. I know once the house is listed and we start with doing the pre-inspection and dealing with all the issues and logistics that are involved, my stress level will go up. I will just have to get through it. At least we have vacations coming up! Yay!

I know that in order to move forward with our lives and to put ourselves in a better situation as we get older, divesting ourselves of this house has to happen. Might as well start the process now because there is a lot involved. Would have to do it sooner or later anyway.

If we had the money, this would not be stressful. We would just buy that little house we love in NH right now and put our current house up for sale later when my husband retires at the end of the year. But that is just not our reality. We know the chances of getting that little house are slim to none. But no matter what- we will be in the same situation over and over again if we do not sell this house first. So be it.

If the house doesn't sell this time around- well- we still have a house to live in and at least we would have gotten it prepared for a future sale through the inspection.

Hopefully, we will find a decent rental that is not too expensive.We are not used to paying like $2000-$3000 per month- our taxes here are $825 per month. We would be lucky to find something $1500 per month. This is going to involve taking money out of savings to make up for the difference each month and also to pay for a storage unit.

I have also been preparing for some time now to deal with the fact that it is possible we will not find another little house and community in NH that we want to live in. If that happens- another option would be Vermont- despite the tax hell hole that it is (amongst other things I won't get into here because they are political) but we do love the state- my favorite. The housing issue could be hard there also. At that point- we will proceed to PA or Delaware where there are a lot more options and tax friendly.

We might consider a state like Tennessee- Smokey Mountains- but never been there or any of the southern states except Florida and Virginia. Don't like intense heat and humidity or major tornadoes or hurricanes, reptiles or big bugs.

Worse comes to worse- there is out West- Nevada maybe, Colorado, Idaho-which we like also- most of the Western states- not too crazy about desert and intense heat though- just so far from our son and friends and family- even for the rare occasions we do get to see them- at least we can drive to see them.

Mary Ann - How hard would it be to get a home equity loan and use the proceeds to buy the new house. Once you sell it, you can payoff the loan.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
That is what we did. We took a home equity loan and purchased our new home, because we wanted to do some renovations to the new one, and I did not want to live in it through construction.
We got a no-closing cost loan with no prepayment penalty. We did have to make a few payments on it. Then, when we closed on the new house the payoff check was cut to the bank by their mortgage bank, and we got the rest.
Mary Ann - How hard would it be to get a home equity loan and use the proceeds to buy the new house. Once you sell it, you can payoff the loan.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
I believe nowadays most of the house hunting is done on Internet. It is important to get excellent photos done by professional and select just a few to publish to get buyers interested. Description of the house, history (one owner, many recent upgrades, hardwood floors, surrounded by nature) and potential (possible third and fourth bedroom) should get interested shoppers in. Ten pictures total, one nice shot of best bathroom and two of manicured fresh cut lawn.
We sold our house of 25 years in September 2017. We put it on market with new roof (hail damage covered by insurance), painted interior in dove gray (new owner re-painted back to white), installed three light fixtures (new owner replaced with their own before moving in)and had a contractor to finish walk in closet with shelves.
My neighbor helped me with staging, she used some of her items in my house ... like pillows.
This was all done after we had garage sale and donated almost everything to various charities.
Once house was ready for showing “ it wasn’t my house any more”, but I still cried at the closing. We accepted one of three offers after first weekend on market and set closing date according our terms (plenty time to move out). It was hard work, but life is easier now.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

I understand the practicality and eventuality given your age, tax situation and remote location. Just after reading your replies I felt your heart isn't ready. You seem to love your home, its views, seclusion, and features that you chose to fit your own needs. I confess to not always remembering everything I read but as I did I found myself wondering why you feel you can not remain there longer before starting this next chapter, especially given your uncertainty of destination. It could all fall together over a couple of years after hubby is retired and both have more time to devote to the search and decision making.

But now that you've embarked on the course having chosen a realtor, I think you are smart to get the pre-inspection. So many wait until the buyer gets the inspection and are hit with demands and deadlines creating a stressful negotiation. I might consider fixing only the issues that your state's laws require and list the house "as is" beyond that. On the other hand, I would have to consider if that would taint the house as having problems from the start. Hmmm...

Will look forward to reading about the actual listing process and what your realtors advise and how the inspection goes! In the meantime, chill! :)

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed a house going up for sale yesterday a couple of blocks from my home. I looked up the sale online as I wanted to see what it was selling for.

The town I live in has many developments in it. Depending on the age and size of the homes, the prices can range from $350K to around $1MM. The median price for the town around $550K per zillow. Each development has a sweet spot for what the houses sell for. My development's sweet spot is around $400K - $500K. There have been a few sales in the upper $500's and very low $600's on some really nice updated houses.

So, this house is on the market for $699K. It is a nicely kept up house. However it is a corner lot (negative in my opinion) and borders the main entry street for the development which is a busy street. Plus while it is kept up nicely, the décor is pure 90s.

After listening to Mary Ann talk about the realtors and their different strategy, the owners of this house must have went with the $400K realtors from her post. I am curious to see how this turns out.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why are you moving? Is it because you think you are old? Seems like you can wa
I understand the practicality and eventuality given your age, tax situation and remote location. Just after reading your replies I felt your heart isn't ready. You seem to love your home, its views, seclusion, and features that you chose to fit your own needs. I confess to not always remembering everything I read but as I did I found myself wondering why you feel you can not remain there longer before starting this next chapter, especially given your uncertainty of destination. It could all fall together over a couple of years after hubby is retired and both have more time to devote to the search and decision making.

But now that you've embarked on the course having chosen a realtor, I think you are smart to get the pre-inspection. So many wait until the buyer gets the inspection and are hit with demands and deadlines creating a stressful negotiation. I might consider fixing only the issues that your state's laws require and list the house "as is" beyond that. On the other hand, I would have to consider if that would taint the house as having problems from the start. Hmmm...

Will look forward to reading about the actual listing process and what your realtors advise and how the inspection goes! In the meantime, chill! :)
i wondered the same thing. I think she is moving because she perceives 65 as elderly and decrepit and needs to get out before she reaches that age.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I would avoid 2 moves.

There are 2 options:
- If Maryann's heart is set on the small new home in NH, she should put a deposit down on that home and get a home equity loan against her current home or get a mortgage with the plan to pay it off after her current home gets sold. If the new house is going to be completed in 7 months, then the loan is really needed for another 6 months or so. Ride it out with the new home + current home for a year until her husband retires.

- Forget about this new home and look for another home in about 10 months time and do the same, i.e. buy that new home and get a loan. At the same time list the current home for sale.

Unless it is the deep real estate crash like that of 2008, almost all homes will sell when listed. It all comes down the price. Of course if there are problems with closing because of permits and such, get those fixed first before listing the home. Between this year and next year is the time to get those potential issues resolved.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

There are 2 options:
- If Maryann's heart is set on the small new home in NH, she should put a deposit down on that home and get a home equity loan against her current home or get a mortgage with the plan to pay it off after her current home gets sold. If the new house is going to be completed in 7 months, then the loan is really needed for another 6 months or so. Ride it out with the new home + current home for a year until her husband retires.

- Forget about this new home and look for another home in about 10 months time and do the same, i.e. buy that new home and get a loan. At the same time list the current home for sale.

Unless it is the deep real estate crash like that of 2008, almost all homes will sell when listed. It all comes down the price. Of course if there are problems with closing because of permits and such, get those fixed first before listing the home. Between this year and next year is the time to get those potential issues resolved.

I would play it that way but a good way to end up upside down. What if the house does not sell?

Maybe you could rent a place e with your son in NH for awhile or even better he could buy a house he likes and you could live there till you find a place.

Cost wise is NH the best place?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

So here is the thing. I have been home now since the end of Sept. This home was great to come home to everyday after being out in the world working. It is like a retreat. It is peaceful. We have all the conveniences we need. I love it.

But it is too isolating to stay here. Not just as we age but even right now. We need to put ourselves into a community setting with people our own age. Also- while we are still youngish and healthy we want to physically (and mentally) do this move. We have no one to help us to do anything. The longer we wait- who knows how we will feel (physically). You get to a point where there is no time like the present! In our 50s it would be one thing- but not at this age. I see my husband has slowed down a lot- his stamina is not what it used to be (heck- neither is mine- but i have much more than he does).

Several of my coworkers who live further south from here did this also- but for different reasons having to do with some sprawl going on (I'll leave it at that) . Went through the process of selling their homes that they loved and moving into a rental until they could find another home nearby or where they plan to retire.But they also had mortgages they had to pay off- something at least we don't have. They are younger and still working. One is not retiring for another 3 years and is renting and then plans to move to NC. She is going next month for vacation to look around. At least now they have the money in the bank from the sale of their home.

I think we will be better off having gotten the house sale out of the way and then we can move forward. The house sale is the biggest hurdle really. Get it out of the way and then we are in the driver's seat.

I know what you mean about the pre-inspection and tainting the home from the start. I thought the same thing.
I know there could be issues with no permits for the generator and wood stove, and the missing outlet in the kitchen island. Maybe the electrical for the microwave. I wrote about a few of these years ago on TUG as things were occurring. (I think my whole life story is on TUG. LOL!)

Plus- these inspections always find something anyway. But as homes go, our home is very well maintained.

Everything is safe and works fine. Hell- been living in this home all these years- amazing how we survived! But- you know- the town needs their money.

Anyway- we will do what we have to to sell the home. It has to be sold whether it is now or later.

Does anyone have an opinion on getting the Home Warranty that will be transferable to the buyer? Seems like good protection for us as sellers for things like our washer/dryer and AC unit- which are older and also for the buyer. But not sure if it is really worth doing..

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Why are you moving? Is it because you think you are old? Seems like you can wa

i wondered the same thing. I think she is moving because she perceives 65 as elderly and decrepit and needs to get out before she reaches that age.

LOL! I do not. But I do perceive 70 as old"er" and I don't want to wait until then.

You know- if you met me you would sense the energy I have- people always tell me I have way too much! LOL!

But working in home health care most of my life I have seen what can happen to people on a dime.

Even myself- I was fine 10 months ago. Then suddenly arthritis in my leg. Still bothering me. Now arthritis in my shoulder. I was fine 10 months ago.

Not life threatening of course, but affects you day to day. Even my husband's shoulder has been bothering him.

Meanwhile, we have to pack boxes and move furniture- twice. We are not going to wait until some vague time years from now. We don't know what is to be. Maybe I am paranoid, or maybe I am just being realistic.

Sure- we could hang out here and stare at each other for a few years- if we don't kill each other first. And keep working around the house - what fun. Or we can take the steps required to set us up in a new living situation that we can enjoy for many years to come until we really do get too old.

We are opting for today to start the process.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would play it that way but a good way to end up upside down. What if the house does not sell?

Maybe you could rent a place e with your son in NH for awhile or even better he could buy a house he likes and you could live there till you find a place.

Cost wise is NH the best place?

Our FA recommended we sell first and rent temporarily and then buy. I know our attorney would say the same. His words stick with me from the time when we bought this home without having sold our prior home and got ourselves in a pickle: "NEVER BUY A HOME WITHOUT FIRST SELLING YOUR HOME".

So- right am1- there is a chance the house will not sell and then we are screwed. We don't have a lot of leeway in our finances for a big problem like that. One 5 figure paycheck coming in and that will soon be gone as well when my husband retires.

As for our son- well- I don't think he wants to live with us and he cannot afford to buy a house, nor does he want the work of a house. He works 6-7 days a week as it is. I hope someday he will at least be able to buy a condo and takes the plunge. He can certainly make the down payment. Once we are up there maybe someday we can nudge him and help him with the process. He hates change. Likes renting. But this is a whole 'nother story.

We at one point had actually considered buying a 2 family home and having him rent part of it, but nixed that idea because we really want to live in a 55+ community.

Cost wise NH is expensive (to me) for housing and property taxes- though the property taxes are less than here. It all depends on the town. But we would have HOA fees- something we do not have now. Electric is high.

But no income tax or sales tax in NH.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I wouldn’t get the Home warranty unless your furnace/a/c and whatever else you are leaving are really old, as in past their normal life expectancies.

If you currently don’t have a mortgage, I would definitely be buying that house you want. Even before your house sells. Especially if you don’t think you will be able to find something similar.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

There are 2 options:

See my comment above to am1. FA says no to a mortgage on the new home- the fees associated with it included. I assume that would also be for the home equity.

We will be doing the inspection and taking care of what has to be done, so no harm with our house being on the market now.

We know we will most likely lose the NH home. Maybe a resale will come up at some point there.

If we somehow got lucky (I doubt it) and our home sold quickly- great. We could buy the NH home and rent a few months until husband retires in Dec. Yeah- that would be the hard part for me, but having the other house will make it worth it, so that is the best case scenario.

Also- the NH builder would take a contingency if he knows our home is listed for sale. Need a lot of luck with that also, though, so nothing to count on.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

"Undesirable style," my ass. That's a lovely home! Might take the right buyer, but there is nothing "undesirable" about a home like that. :)

Saw this little gem the other day on a side street here in New Orleans' Garden District. Tiny, shotgun style house, nothing exceptional. It's For Sale, for the low, low, bargain price of $495,000. :eek:

IMG_0637.JPG

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I wouldn’t get the Home warranty unless your furnace/a/c and whatever else you are leaving are really old, as in past their normal life expectancies.

If you currently don’t have a mortgage, I would definitely be buying that house to want. Even before your house sells. Especially if you don’t think you will be able to find something similar.

Our AC and washer/dryer are over 10 years old. All else is good.

I will run the house purchase by the FA again and see what he says.