TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

My Realtor Interviews and Fear of Selling Our Home

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by mpumilia, May 22, 2019.

1. rapmarks

rapmarks TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Great attitude, Elaine

clifffaith and mpumilia like this.
  2. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

We have paid a company to pack and transport all of our stuff in every move that we had done. There are some stuff that we will always have to pack ourselves unless we are very organized and neat, but other than that the movers do everything. This avoids hurting our backs and reduces our stress level.

In this case, I am thinking that in the first move, Maryann should get the pros to pack and move everything to New Hampshire. Sometimes you can also negotiate with the transportation company to not deliver until XXX date (when your home is ready). Otherwise, renting a storage in New Hampshire maybe what is needed. Between selling the home and moving into the new home, just live out of a couple of luggages of clothes and a box for basic kitchen pots and pans in the short term rental place.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  3. Cornell

Cornell TUG Member

Completely agree! 8/26 is several weeks away -- an incredible amount can be accomplished in that time frame. I did a massive move 2 years ago and I am a single mom with no family to help and I work full time. I did a lot of the packing myself but HIRE MOVERS to physically transport everything (Maryann - maybe you already are). Additionally, when I did my move, I paid the movers to do the packing of things that I knew would be super time consuming or complex: for instance, they packed up the kitchen / breakables, framed pictures, lamps, and electronics. It was WELL WORTH IT. I packed up everything else. You can beg, borrow, and steal boxes. I also used these rental crates. Not sure if you can find them where you live but I used a company called "rent a crate". They are stackable , strong plastic bins. You get them for 10 days and then the service picks them up and takes them away. I think your priority needs to be to wrap up the closing of the sale of your current home -- imagine how devastated you will be if this deal fell through. Just as you are overwhelmed with the move, I'm sure the pregnant buyer is, too. Please try to focus on the positives: You are moving into a brand new house that you are building to your specifications, you have a buyer for your home, you have a place to live during the transition. It's EXCITING. And imagine how you'd be dealing with this if you were still working. Moving is not fun, no two ways about it, but don't let this suck the joy out of the new phase of your life. These are all temporary problems.

Annotation 2019-07-30 161623.png

4. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    They can't do it because they need to have a tenant/lease for THEIR current home before they can get the mortgage for OUR home. And they are having a baby in October on top of everything else. That is why we are considering becoming the tenants in THEIR current home.

5. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

You have to realize these people have a contingency in their contract. If they have no tenant lease for their current house by 8/15, they lose the contract with our house and they will not get a mortgage. Thus our offer to become THEIR tenants.

In addition- we cannot make small moves to their house with our stuff unless their house in empty. In order for their house to be empty- they have to have closed on our house and our house has to be empty. This is not as easy as it appears.

Also- looking at this as an adventure like you did when you were young and had toddlers and all that- not in my nature and certainly not in my nature at 63 years old.

That said, I appreciate your advice and I am trying to keep my eye on the prize. Thanks, Elaine!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  6. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Yes, we looked into PODS. Decided the best thing would be to just hire movers and take everything with us.

Our new home is going to be 1110 square feet. The rental home is 900 square feet. Both have garages.New home has a basement. Rental home has a very finished partial basement As we have purged we are doing so as to fit the new small home, so when we move to the rental home we should be able to keep it all with us, eliminating storage fees. We will keep most things not needed short term boxed up there. Everything in the rental home will be going to the new home except for what will be my sons' bed- which we will have to store in the rental house and new house until we can get it to him.

When we move to the new home, I know we can get people from a group we belong to in NH to help us. Here, the movers will bring the stuff into the rental.

7. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Thanks. Right- we do not want to lose these buyers.

Yes- we are considering having the moving company pack our breakables. I did already have one mover come out and showed him what we have. Have another one coming out when we get back from this vacation.

Next week while in NH we plan to get boxes from someone I know up north there who recently move and saved them for us.Hopefully can get a lot in our car!

Great idea about those rental crates. Never heard of it. Going to look into it.

8. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MVC, Westin, Hyatt, DVC, Four Seasons
    I agree. Close ASAP. We had 2 deals almost blow up bc buyers pushed it out too far. In one deal, we has an accident happen 2 weeks before closing. Had we closed in 30 days, we would not have been the owners then. 30 days closing is a must.

Glynda and mpumilia like this.
  9. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    PODS lost one of my pods and it took a week to find it. They did refund our payment but the frustration of no furniture for 1 week was not worth it. Movers are better.

Glynda and mpumilia like this.
  10. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sounds like your mood is much better Mary Ann. I love reading your posts. You are a great writer and express your feelings very well. Like reading a memoir. You should collect your posts and publish. Very sweet posts about your life and your adventures. ;)

mpumilia likes this.
  11. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Thanks. Wow. Very kind of you to say.

TravelTime likes this.
  12. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    One piece of advice to reduce stress...try not to obsess on what stage the developer is at for building your new house. They will be late. We just closed on a new home and the developer was one month late. I did not track what they were doing when or I would have been a wreck. In the end, it worked out bc we were able to sell my existing house before the new home closing and pay cash instead of getting a bridge loan. Just go with the flow and enjoy the process of seeing your new home get built.

SandyPGravel and mpumilia like this.
  13. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Five Things I Wish I Knew Before I Built My House
    The home-building process takes longer and costs more than you may think

Construction on our new house was about half done when the plumber went out for nearly two weeks because a cut on his finger was badly infected. That held up the electricians, who needed to run wire for all the lights, outlets and switches. That delayed the Sheetrock installation, which delayed the painters. The shell of the house stood empty. I was tempted to drive to the plumber’s house to personally flush his hand wound and administer antibiotics.

Now, after roughly 11 months, our new home is finally finished. While building a house from the ground up has been one of the best experiences of my life, I learned some tough and expensive financial lessons along the way. Here are some of the things I wish I knew before I built my house.

Starting. Takes. Forever.
    Waiting to break ground was the most frustrating part. It involved three major hurdles: Getting the floor plans approved by the development’s architectural-review committee, which meets monthly. Getting the final contract from the builder. Getting a construction loan from the bank.

“We want clients to know there will be a lot of emotional ups and downs. It’s not a controlled environment—there’s weather, there’s subcontractors.”
    —Beth Larchar, vice president of development, Obodo Builders

I won’t bore you with the twists and turns, but all the paperwork pushed our start date back six months. We had already sold our old house in New York, and our new house in South Carolina wasn’t nearly finished. As a result, we rented a house near the construction site and put our furniture and other belongings in storage. In all, that set us back about $20,000. If I had known it would take so long, we probably would have listed the house later than we did. On the flip side, moving early meant we could visit the construction site every day and be part of the process....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/five-t...-built-my-house-11564651803?mod=hp_lead_pos11

Conclusion:
    In the end, we spent about $100,000 more than we had wanted, but the proceeds from the sale of our house in New York covered most of the cost of our new home in South Carolina. And while I consider this my “forever home,” I ask myself, “Would I ever want to go through new-home construction again?”

I’d do it in a second.

mpumilia likes this.
  14. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Thanks for the advice. Currently we are waiting to finalize the lease for renting our buyers house. Our atty said he was going to call their atty on Tuesday and we have heard nothing since. Our realtor even sent our atty an email and received no reply. He is concerned because our buyers want to get this taken care of so as to get their mortgage. We are trying to be patient but we can't understand what the issue could be. We had a few concerns with the lease but our atty said they were no big deal.

In terms fo the construction- we , too, never thought our house would get an offer the first weekend on the market. Part of us wishes we had waited to put it on the market as well, but there was no way to predict when or if it would sell so we figured better to just get it listed and hope for the best.

Our current house was new construction and took about a year to build with just 2 main guys building it. The house we are having built now is a cookie cutter house being built along with several others. Developer's realtor claims he has several crews but we can't believe everything she says. Suddenly there is the sub issue, and framer issue, etc.

One thing- we cannot spend more than we get for our current home and we hope to spend a bit less because of the double moving costs and high rent plus expenses we will have to pay while we wait. This all on one 5 figure income.

We are talking a 4 room house compared to our current 8 room one. I would think it could be built much faster. But again- the developer is building a bunch of them.

I wish we could have rented near where the house is being built, but it just wasn't going to work out. No way will we move 3 times, so we have to stay in NY until the new house is done and closed on.

One thing i know- I never want to move again after this whole ordeal is over and done with. We have owned our own home since we were kids at 21 years old and this is way out of our comfort zone.

Even though we are on vacation right now I keep waking up with that pit in my stomach. It has been hard for me to enjoy this vacation as I usually do. I dread going home like I used to dread it because it meant going back to work. Sigh.....

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    VacationForever, Panina and klpca like this.
  15. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    Mantra: In five years, this will be no big deal. I promise.

My boss always says, all problems can be solved with time or money. It is 100 % true. Deep breath, one foot in front of the other, and you will get through this and never have to do it again!

mpumilia, Panina and DaveNW like this.
  16. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    @mpumilia Right now I am waiting for homesites to be released in the community we have selected. No guarantee we will get one as whoever initially visited the sales office earlier then us gets first shot. But if we do I will be going through a similiar process as you. Contract on the house to be built, probably will wait until it is 3-4 months before completetion, list our home, close prior on our sale prior to closing on new home, put everything in storage, and find somewhere to stay. I dread the thought but as @klpca said wisely “never have to do it again” and that is where I will focus to keep my sanity as it will end up where I really what to be.

mpumilia likes this.
  17. joestein

joestein TUG Member

Maryann,

I am sorry to her of your stress and the associated problems. However, I think that you might be taking the wrong approach by trying to do everything yourself.

First... Hire "Got Junk" or a similar service and have them get rid of everything you don't want to take with you.

Second.... Go buy some boxes and packing supplies online. Forget waiting for used boxes.

Third.... Hire some people to help with the packing. Not the movers, but some people who can help pre-move. Maybe use them to pack a "POD" for storage until your forever home is ready or anything else that removes the feeling of you being overwhelmed.

Even if the sale falls through, you will be in better shape for the next buyer. I know that this will cost some money, but sometimes you just need to suck it up. This is not something that you do on a regular basis and apparently is a great source of stress and exhaustion.

Think of it this way....If you hurt yourself or even worse, give yourself a heart attack or stroke, the few thousand you saved by not doing this wont make any difference.

I wish you the best, I know you have had a tough couple of years with your job and now the house.

Joe

18. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

Personal bias but this is why I avoid attorneys like the plague. IMO they just get in the way. With the exception of handling an adoption I have never used an attorney. I even handled my two divorces myself...

George

mpumilia likes this.
  19. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    To handle stress: Some say exercize. I say: Margaritas. :p
    No need to pay attorneys to lease a house. Forms available online.

mpumilia and SandyPGravel like this.
  20. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

LOL! I do both!

Really- I had to be the paralegal! I mean- I had to tell him to add in that the lease is null and void if the people don't buy our house. I had to tell him to take out about having the place professionally cleaned when the lease is over. I had to tell him that we need to store gas in the garage for the snow blower since we are responsible to clear the snow. I had to tell him my husband needs to store his hunting equipment in his fireproof safe in regards to a clause on combustibles. I had to tell him to add the ceiling fans currently in the rental for our use as it was unclear.

We signed the lease today and then afterwards realized he needs to add about reimbursement for left over propane and oil after the lease terminates since we are responsible for those while renting.

I mean- come on! What are we paying him for?

(Being in NY an atty is required for a home sale- and this lease is tied into that- we really needed to use him.)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  21. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    It has been a crazy week here on vacation. Wednesday we got a phone call that my husband's best friend (best man at our wedding) had unexpectedly passed away. They found him on his apartment floor. Needless to say we were upset.

We have been dealing with our attorney and this lease. Then our son- who left to go back home last night- calls us this afternoon crying to say he had to put his cat down. After being away the few days, he came home to find her sick. Brought her to the vet and turns out she has tumors in her jaw. She was 9 and he is heartbroken. Moms never like hearing their son's cry.

22. am1

am1 TUG Member

Did you get an opt out clause in your rental for once your new house is ready? How long is the lease for?

mpumilia likes this.
  23. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    So their bank requires a one year lease, but our realtor (not our atty) made sure there was an opt out clause in it for us. After 6 months, we can terminate the lease with a 60 day written notice for no penalty.

24. am1

am1 TUG Member

Their bank can require whatever they want but the owners can have another contract with you that allows anything you require.

mpumilia likes this.
  25. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Sure. They could give the bank a fake lease as per our attorney and as long as the bank approves it, no problem with us.

But this keeps it all on the up and up.