• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My credit card has been compromised 3 times in one year. Wyndham is my only charge.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I set my auto-pay for Wyndham fees and WorldMark fees. The only charges on my card are those charges because I leave my card in the safe at home, most of the time.

Three times my Chase Sapphire Reserve has been compromised in the period of a year. And then I get a new card and have to change the payment information on the accounts. I have incurred late fees from Wyndham because my card doesn't work on the date my fees are billed.

Just wondering if there is a pattern of this happening with others. Let me know here or via email if your card has been compromised and you are a Wyndham or WM owner.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I've had mine wyndham billed on CSR for 3 years, I have never had my card compromised. Strange.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
A possibilty is that you have a malware on your computer which captures keystrokes.
I don't even know what that means. :) Some strange computer lingo or something.

I just add the payment once and not every month. It's just weird that this happens with my card. It's Rick's card that we take on vacations and pay all of the other maintenance fees.

Must be just a coincidence and I am paranoid.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I just add the payment once and not every month. It's just weird that this happens with my card. It's Rick's card that we take on vacations and pay all of the other maintenance fees.

Did you use your computer to add the credit card information into the Wyndham and Worldmark sites? If you did, then I strongly suspect that your cc was compromised through your computer. It also means that any banking type work done on that computer may be compromised as well. Yes, I held info sec certification, CISSP, for more than a decade.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
That may be the heart of the problem. :crash: Malware is akin to a virus where they can steal your info off your device.
One way or the other, there is no coincidence. Where was your card used?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

What that means is that some malicious software may have hidden itself on your computer. The software tracks your activity, and when it detects that you are making a financial transaction it starts logging your keystrokes, so it then records the address of the site you accessed, what your user name is, what your password is, what your credit card number is, and what your security code is. Then the software sends that information to some third party. That third party either uses the credit card themselves, or they sell your information to someone else who does so.

Of course, if this is happening with your Wyndham and Worldmark activity, then it would likely be happening with any other financial transactions you might be undertaking with that computer.
If you have not already done so, you should immediately stop doing any financial activity on that computer!!!!!!

Then take the computer to a competent computer security technician to be investigated, or to have the computer returned to it's initial state (i.e., what it was like when it was first opened and set up). Of course, returning to the initial state will mean a complete loss of all data and all installed programs.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I think Chase has issues with cards being compromised also.

I had a IHG Card I never used get compromised it was still in drawer at house.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I will stop using this computer and our computer guy will look at it.

I have Trend Micro Maximum Security and it always says my computer is free from all viruses.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I have Trend Micro Maximum Security and it always says my computer is free from all viruses.
Many types of malware are not detected by anti-virus software, especially the type that captures keystrokes. Anti-virus software and Windows Defender catch at most 50% of malware out there.

The question for you is whether you had used your computer to enter your CSR info into Worldmark and Wyndham sites. If not, then it is not your computer.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn

Where were your cards used?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I set my auto-pay for Wyndham fees and WorldMark fees. The only charges on my card are those charges because I leave my card in the safe at home, most of the time.

Three times my Chase Sapphire Reserve has been compromised in the period of a year. And then I get a new card and have to change the payment information on the accounts. I have incurred late fees from Wyndham because my card doesn't work on the date my fees are billed.

Just wondering if there is a pattern of this happening with others. Let me know here or via email if your card has been compromised and you are a Wyndham or WM owner.

Where were your cards used?
As Cindy posted, the only charges on the card are for auto-pay she set up for Wyndham and Worldmark. She's set it up three times, and each time the card has been compromised.

So either her account information at Wyndham/Worldmark is routinely getting hacked (unlikely because then lots of people would be seeing the same thing) or the information is getting pirated off her computer. If the Cindy's description is accurate, then the information strongly points to her computer as the source of the hack.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That happened to me several years ago. I had a card that wasn't used in over a year. I used it once when I closed on WM and it was set up to make auto payments. I didn't know if it was someone at WM or someone at the closing company, but it couldn't have been from anything else.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
As Cindy posted, the only charges on the card are for auto-pay she set up for Wyndham and Worldmark. She's set it up three times, and each time the card has been compromised.

So either her account information at Wyndham/Worldmark is routinely getting hacked (unlikely because then lots of people would be seeing the same thing) or the information is getting pirated off her computer. If the Cindy's description is accurate, then the information strongly points to her computer as the source of the hack.
I wasn't clear. I'm wondering where the card was wrongly used. Could narrow down the likely source of the theft.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What kind of software would be recommended to get rid of malware? Especially Free software.

Joe
Reality is that the only way is to rebuild the computer, i.e. reformat by and restoring back to the factory build. There is no reliable way to get rid of malware on a computer once it has been compromised.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I recommend downloading a free version from http://www.malwarebytes.com. It appears that they have a 14 day free premium trial period program but I could be wrong. I use a paid program from Kaspersky.
This is what I use also on my home computer... but I use the free version, which doesn't provide real-time protection, you have to run it manually.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I took my old computer back to Costco and got a new one as a replacement because the old one was acting very strangely. This was late May. I checked my Chase Sapphire Reserve account and see that my last change of credit card number was mid-May. Now it's happened again in July.

So I think it was my old computer (which may still be used by someone who fixed it, maybe???). That one was having a lot of problems and even stopped letting me use my Office program.

What happens to old computers when they die? What should I have done to protect myself against someone who could use my computer and get information from it?

The old would no longer turn on and was a Dell with other issues, like it wouldn't charge anymore. It wasn't the cord, it was inside the computer. I usually keep a computer for four years, and that one was less than a year old. All kinds of problems.

But I am using the same Trend Micro anti-virus software I had on the old computer, so I wonder if this malware is attacking this one.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

When you say your cc was compromised, what do you mean? Were there unauthorized charges posted to the cc? Did you get an email telling you it was comprised? If you did, are you certain Chase sent it?

I get emails from banks where I've never had accounts telling me my account has been compromised or had suspicious activity and if I would only click on the link in the email and enter my user name and password, everything will be okay. Does that sound familiar? I rarely click on the link but when I do, I make up a User ID and my password is something like e@t$h!t.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
A lot of times credit card companies will send you a new card if they have concerns about their system being compromised. It doesn't mean there have been actually been unauthorized charges to your account. It is simple a precautionary measure. You just have to make sure if you have any automatic payments you log into whoever those payments are to and change the credit card information. But you have to be careful to pay attention if you do this within a couple of days of when the payment is scheduled. The might have to take the current payment out over the phone and the next month it will come out automatically.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When you say your cc was compromised, what do you mean? Were there unauthorized charges posted to the cc? Did you get an email telling you it was comprised? If you did, are you certain Chase sent it?

I get emails from banks where I've never had accounts telling me my account has been compromised or had suspicious activity and if I would only click on the link in the email and enter my user name and password, everything will be okay. Does that sound familiar? I rarely click on the link but when I do, I make up a User ID and my password is something like e@t$h!t.
If you click on it, that is how the ones that have a payload (bad malware) get on your machine. If it has a payload then it is bye bye to all info you have on your machine. The bad ones do not even need you to go to THEIR website to put in your info, clicking on their link is sufficient.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes, Chase in all cases a charge appeared for around $1.00, and when the charge happened, Chase alerted me by email. It was legitimate because I called the number on my credit card. The email clearly was not a phishing email.
A lot of times credit card companies will send you a new card if they have concerns about their system being compromised. It doesn't mean there have been actually been unauthorized charges to your account. It is simple a precautionary measure. You just have to make sure if you have any automatic payments you log into whoever those payments are to and change the credit card information. But you have to be careful to pay attention if you do this within a couple of days of when the payment is scheduled. The might have to take the current payment out over the phone and the next month it will come out automatically.

The bad thing is I have incurred late charges from Wyndham and WorldMark because my payments don't go through before I have a chance to get my new card and change the information. The last time this happened, I told Chase to make sure my payments go through because it was the day before Wyndham charges would post. Sure enough, they denied my automatic payment. Then I have to pay the $3.95 fee as well, and it's 3 different accounts. I don't like paying those fees, but at least Chase is catching these.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wasn't clear. I'm wondering where the card was wrongly used. Could narrow down the likely source of the theft.
When our card number was stolen ten or so years ago, it was used in Australia, California and New York; all three within a matter of 12 hours. Funniest part is that we were in Greece at the time. The credit card company, in this case, Chase, froze the account and called us. We actually didn't get the call but the next time we tried to use it, we called them. At the time, the rep told us that the numbers just get sold by the thousands and dumped out into the black market. Just recently, I read that credit card numbers sell for pennies because they are only good for, at best, one transaction before the credit card company software picks up the discrepancy. The detection software is becoming increasingly fine but things still get through. I can't help but think that I order things online from all over so I don't know how they know whether it's me or not. :shrug: What a pain in the neck, anyway.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
My vote is for the problem being with Chase. I had an infrequently used Chase card compromised and replaced. The replacement card with different numbers was compromised and used in Peru (a place I've never been) a year later. That card had NEVER been used anywhere. Chase didn't detect the fraud and was uninterested in my point that the card had never been used.

I seriously doubt that the OP's problem is a malware attack. If that were the issue, I think the OP would be seeing much more serious exploits that they've experienced.