• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Ownership / Marriott Rewards Status conversions after 8/18/2018

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the "Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions", MVC status are supposed to translate to Marriott Rewards status. Has anyone seen their status come across?

I have Presidential but I have not seen the transition to Platinum Premier, yet. I haven't bothered to call in as I figure they're still doing stuff in the background but I wanted to see if others have seen a change in their status.

I believe those that had Select Executive were previously Gold.

So far the Benefits at a Glance PDF has not changed to reflect the T&C's below.

7.1 Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club
7.1.a Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club owners eligible to participate in the Loyalty Program through ownership of a Marriott Vacation Club and/or and Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interest (collectively, “MVC Owners”) are subject to the Program Rules, and to any additional rules and regulations promulgated by Marriott Ownership Resorts, Inc. and/or Marriott Resorts, Travel Company, Inc. d/b/a MVC Exchange Company or their respective affiliates or subsidiaries (each an “MVC Entity”), as such rules and regulations may be modified from time to time (collectively, “MVC Rules”). 7.1.b MVC Owners who receive Loyalty Program Elite upgrades as part of their owner benefits are subject to the Program Rules, as may be modified from time to time pursuant to section 1.7.c, and to the MVC Rules, including without limitation the following:

i. MVC Owners who achieve a “Select” or “Executive” level of membership through their ownership of Marriott Vacation Club and/or Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interests, or their enrollment in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Exchange Program (“MVC Exchange Program”), and certain other individuals designated by an MVC Entity, may be offered Loyalty Program Platinum Elite status, and are not subject to the Platinum Elite Minimum Requirement to maintain Platinum Elite status every year.

MVC Owners who achieve a “Presidential” or “Chairman’s Club” level of membership through their ownership of Marriott Vacation Club and/or and Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interests, or their enrollment in the MVC Exchange Program, and certain other individuals designated by an MVC Entity, may be offered Loyalty Program Platinum Premier Elite status, and are not subject to the Platinum Premier Elite Minimum Requirement to maintain Platinum Premier Elite status every year.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife’s MR account Elite status was exclusively based on our Chairman’s Club ownership level.
She has also now combined it with her SPG account
It is still showing as Platinum Elite level though.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Both myself and my wife are showing as Platinum Elite in our MR accounts. THough I don't know if this is because of our Select DC status or that we were gold in MR prior to conversion. The problem is determining if our Gold status was from our Select DC status or from being renewed gold even though we didn't meet the night requirements. So it is hard to tell how we actually have the Platinum status.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
I don't have any lifetime status with Marriott ( have been using my wife's marriott acct until MVC started offering Marriott status based on MVC standing-she had LTG until the switch, she now has LTP status) and only have 38 nights with my combined MRP + SPG account. My account shows me as Plat. Premiere, which I can only assume is due to my Chairman's club status with MVC.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My account was transitioned from Gold to Platinum but it should have been transitioned to Platinum Premier. I have called many times and the CSRs are very confused and do not understand the mapping from MVC to MR. It is incredibly frustrating. Hopefully, you do not have any Marriott hotel reservations coming up or you will need to fight with Marriott to get your rewards fixed too. I am not staying at any Marriott hotels until they fix my account so I do not have to deal with that problem.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the "Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions", MVC status are supposed to translate to Marriott Rewards status. Has anyone seen their status come across?

I have Presidential but I have not seen the transition to Platinum Premier, yet. I haven't bothered to call in as I figure they're still doing stuff in the background but I wanted to see if others have seen a change in their status.

Mine says Platinum Premier Elite, correctly. So, mine did change based on Presidential status.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
My account was transitioned from Gold to Platinum but it should have been transitioned to Platinum Premier. I have called many times and the CSRs are very confused and do not understand the mapping from MVC to MR. It is incredibly frustrating. Hopefully, you do not have any Marriott hotel reservations coming up or you will need to fight with Marriott to get your rewards fixed too. I am not staying at any Marriott hotels until they fix my account so I do not have to deal with that problem.

I would give it a month actually. After I made my purchase, it took at least a few weeks for my ownership level to properly flow through the system. This was well before the transition / merger.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I would give it a month actually. After I made my purchase, it took at least a few weeks for my ownership level to properly flow through the system. This was well before the transition / merger.

The funny thing is that last year, there was an error on my account and they manually fixed it while I was on the telephone to reflect Gold status. Not sure why they can't manually fix the account status for people whose account did not transition correctly.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PS It would be easier to be patient if when I called, the CSRs were at least knowledgeable instead of arguing with me and telling me I do not qualify due to my resale purchases, all if which are Trust Points or enrolled weeks now.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Per my app, my status is now Platinum Premier Elite, which is based on our Chairman level. I haven’t had a chance to merge my SPG and MRP accounts yet, so I am not sure what my lifetime level will be until I do so.

Best regards.

Mike

jeff76543

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Marriott Rewards yesterday to check why my Platinum Elite status had not been ungraded to Platinum Premier Elite based on my MVC Presidential status. The representative checked in her computer and said that I had been upgraded by Marriott to Platinum Premier on August 18 (D-Day) and she didn't know why my status hadn't been changed in my account on the website and in the Marriott application. She said she would send a request to update my online account and it probably would take 3-5 business days. (My online account still lists me as Platinum Elite, but it's only been 1 day.) It may be that the changes in status will eventually be posted without contacting Marriott Rewards - and it may be that the correct upgraded status is already in Marriott's computers so that the correct benefits will be given even though the online account has not been updated - but it might be worth a phone call to Marriott. By the way, my wait time to talk with a customer representative was only about 10 minutes.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
My DH's MR account correctly shows LPP, at least at this time (we've seen a variety of statuses since last night, after I attempted to combine his MR and SPG accounts). He was LP for a number of years.

My MR account currently shows Platinum elite, which is 100% derived from our MVC ownership. I have 0 points and 0 nights lifetime, as we always use DH's account for all reservations and CC purchases. I have not yet gone through the combination process for my account, so that probably explains why there has been no status change for me. We are waiting until his account appears to be stable post-combination to move on my account.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is that last year, there was an error on my account and they manually fixed it while I was on the telephone to reflect Gold status. Not sure why they can't manually fix the account status for people whose account did not transition correctly.

My guess - they will end up transitioning properly. It will just take some time. I am sure they are being overwhelmed with questions and people wanting things due to the merger. Certainly, it would be nice if people were trained appropriately.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

Mine has changed from Platinum to Platinum Premiere.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If based on Presidential status, mine should have been changed to Platinum Premier but it has not. I am suspecting that there is a name discrepancy issue with my Marriott rewards account which I tried to have them change several years ago and they "could not" due to their system limitation. I am also unable to merge my SPG account with my Marriott account and it flagged the name discrepancy to be the cause of the problem. I called the number on the screen but it was on terminal hold/music and I gave up. I will try calling MVC tomorrow to see if they can have Marriott rewards make the name change.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If based on Presidential status, mine should have been changed to Platinum Premier but it has not. I am suspecting that there is a name discrepancy issue with my Marriott rewards account which I tried to have them change several years ago and they "could not" due to their system limitation. I am also unable to merge my SPG account with my Marriott account and it flagged the name discrepancy to be the cause of the problem. I called the number on the screen but it was on terminal hold/music and I gave up. I will try calling MVC tomorrow to see if they can have Marriott rewards make the name change.

Could be. I would wait longer myself, I am sure hold times will be ridiculous for a while yet as billions of merger questions get asked, glitches, etc. I have seen a few others than did not migrate to Premier also, must be a reason somewhere, or faulty coding perhaps. But you know, I am special!

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
No change yet for me. Despite being MVC Chairman's Club, the Marriott Rewards website shows me as only being Platinum Elite.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
No change yet for me. Despite being MVC Chairman's Club, the Marriott Rewards website shows me as only being Platinum Elite.
+1

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
Prior 08/18/18: Platinum Elite because of MVCI ownership AND Lifetime Gold, two+ years more to get Lifetime Platinum Elite.
On 08/18/18: On the Marriott iPhone app under My Account it says Platinum Premier Elite. On the next My Account page under Lifetime Status it says Lifetime Platinum Elite. On the Marriott website is says Platinum Premier Elite with an infinity sign.
Apparently the dust is still settling...

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I combined my Marriott Rewards account and the SPG account and two things happened.

1) The system changed my account number from the Marriott Rewards number to a new account number. I wanted to keep my old MR number. Are we supposed to get a new account number?

2) My history of previous Marriott hotel stays has disappeared.

Has this happened to anyone else?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another thing I just noticed is my account says my MR points will expire if I don’t stay or use point by February 2019. That is 6 months away. That is such a short time. I thought MR points never expired. Is this part of the new rules under the merger?

Do MVC stays count toward this?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I combined my Marriott Rewards account and the SPG account and two things happened.

1) The system changed my account number from the Marriott Rewards number to a new account number. I wanted to keep my old MR number. Are we supposed to get a new account number?

2) My history of previous Marriott hotel stays has disappeared.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Did you combine while logged in from Marriott.com or SPG.com? I suspect that they used your SPG number as your new number for the rewards program.

Another thing I just noticed is my account says my MR points will expire if I don’t stay or use point by February 2019. That is 6 months away. That is such a short time. I thought MR points never expired. Is this part of the new rules under the merger?

Do MVC stays count toward this?
Points expire after 24 months of no points activity. I don't think elite night activity counts. You have to have points activity to keep the points from expiring.