• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MULTIZ321 Please Stop Posting News

Status
Not open for further replies.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, that is not stealing. A customer in a store is an opportunity for the store... if they can’t close the sale for whatever reason it’s their fault. They have to create one or more reasons for customers to purchase, and typically price is just one reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I disagree. When I walk into a shop to say, try on a pair of shoes. I make sure I buy them if I like them even though I know it will be cheaper online. I support brick and mortar stores as the shop owner has to pay rent and wages. I support brick and mortar businesses.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I disagree. When I walk into a shop to say, try on a pair of shoes. I make sure I buy them if I like them even though I know it will be cheaper online. I support brick and mortar stores as the shop owner has to pay rent and wages. I support brick and mortar businesses.

Did I say I don’t support local businesses? Nope, I didn’t.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You did because you said it is up to them to close the sale.

Wait, you don’t think local businesses should earn my business? I should just give it to them without consideration of other options? I respectfully suggest you reread the last few posts and reconsider. I’m happy to continue this discussion, but I don’t think you understood what I wrote.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Did I say I don’t support local businesses? Nope, I didn’t.

Agreed. I’ve walked into stores plenty of times for one thing and wound up buying more, when I’ve encountered friendly knowledgeable staff. When the staff isn’t welcoming or engaged, or if I get a distrustful feeling from the store I’ll buy the item online right then and there. I support people who deserve support.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Agreed. I’ve walked into stores plenty of times for one thing and wound up buying more, when I’ve encountered friendly knowledgeable staff. When the staff isn’t welcoming or engaged, or if I get a distrustful feeling from the store I’ll buy the item online right then and there. I support people who deserve support.

Those are good examples. I could add many other scenarios where I would or would not buy from a local business. It all comes down to a value proposition and I, as a customer, must feel that the most value comes from the local business. Price is not the only factor, as you correctly state.

For instance, I refuse to support poorly run or rude local businesses. Why would I?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Those are good examples. I could add many other scenarios where I would or would not buy from a local business. It all comes down to a value proposition and I, as a customer, must feel that the most value comes from the local business. Price is not the only factor, as you correctly state.

For instance, I refuse to support poorly run or rude local businesses. Why would I?

Perfectly said. There have been so many times I’ve walked into a store to “showroom” and ended up buying the product from the store for all of the reasons I mentioned above EVEN though it may have been cheaper in amazon. Sometimes I’ll spend more, knowing I got the full in store experience. Again, they have to earn it. In sales, to have to earn the right to close. When you earn that right to close you’re more likely to close the sale.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Idle thought: I wonder how Cronkite, Rather, Huntley and Brinkley would do in the current broadcast environment.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Interesting read - thanks for posting that, Ken!

I hadn't seen any work of Dan Rather's in years until I accidentally found his Big Interview of Geddy Lee on AXS-TV awhile back. Very interesting interview but to be fair, Geddy Lee would make any interviewer look good as he is an excellent interviewee.

Dan posts frequently online. I find his perspective interesting.

DJensen

TUG Member
Reaction score
The number of posts don’t bother me. I would like to hear a valid reason to stop the posts. Goodness, Gracious, it really can’t be that it takes a few seconds to scroll through the lounge to avoid the posts

I have enjoyed the titles and links as well, however the only complaint I could see is that with so many "news" links other postings regarding feedback or comments in the Lounge get pushed quickly to the bottom or next page and do not get responses when requested.

Maybe if there was a "News Lounge" section added for these postings.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have enjoyed the titles and links as well, however the only complaint I could see is that with so many "news" links other postings regarding feedback or comments in the Lounge get pushed quickly to the bottom or next page and do not get responses when requested.

Maybe he should just be given his own section and then those who don't want to read his posts could ignore it completely. And it would make it easier for those of us who enjoy them to find them. :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The thing everyone seems to be missing is the reason WHY Richard posts what he does - it's to inform, entertain, and maybe even invite conversation. Look at this thread you're reading - five pages and 114 replies in four days, all about whether Richard should post what he does. It's awesome, because it makes people think about what they read, post, and want to see on their computers. Kudos to all of you. Every stinkin' one. :)

For the record, since I'm the one who brought up paywalls, I don't usually bother to chase down another location to read something that is behind a paywall. I also won't change my browsing habits just to get around a paywall (Firefox and its add on, for example) because I'm just not all that interested in investing the time and energy to do so. If I want to post something from behind a paywall, I'll capture the content of the article I want, and paste it into a thread here, for everyone to easily read, and be done with it. Often, the article may have only a sentence or two that is pertinent, and the rest is filler. I am not interested in wading through pages of ads and clickbait links to get to the meat of a topic that may be of interest. I want to know who shot JR, not see a year's worth of other people's stories that don't matter.

As to content, stealing, and such - I consider media browsing on my computer much like watching broadcast television. Ads are commercials that interrupt the show. I have to wait till the commercials are over for the next piece of the broadcast, and maybe, eventually, I may get to the heart of the point of the show. With webpages and ads, it's often the same - fourteen pages down, after a hundred ads and distractions, I might read a sentence or two that tells me what I'm after. Just not worth the trouble. In the same way I record most TV shows so I can skip commercials, a webpage behind a paywall or filled with ads is a distraction I don't want to bother navigating. (Setting aside the onslaught of email spam that comes afterwards - I hate that garbage. Order ONE THING from Wayfair, and you're buried in multiple email spam messages every day afterwards. Ask me how I know this.)

I don't have time or interest to wade through the junk, so will cut to the chase. Post what's important, skip the crap, and get on with my life - there are too many recipes and cat videos out there that need to be posted on Facebook. ;)

Dave

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Could be, and this is just a possibility, that there is no answer that anyone wishes to post and not they didn't read it.

When you're an infrequent visitor many postings will take place between visits and yours will of course be pushed down the ladder. Just the circle of life for any posting. ;)

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave... am I sensing a bit of ambivalence when it comes to the internet? :ponder:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave... am I sensing a bit of ambivalence when it comes to the internet? :ponder:

I used to be ambivalent. Now I just don't care. LOL! :)

Actually, I just don't hold a lot of Ooh! and Aah! factor over things online. I've worked in IT for 47 years, and I have been on the Internet since 1995 or so - whenever it went public, and I used the precursors when I was in the Navy before that. Back when the term "Dial Up" was still being confused with a bar of soap. ;) The novelty for me wore off long ago. Don't get me wrong - I still love everything about being online. Except the parts I don't like. ;)

My life is lived in webpages, sound bytes, and keyboard clicks. So if I try to read a post and it's behind a paywall, I usually will just move on. It's not worth getting excited about. I am all about the instant gratification of immediate reward. No carrot? No clicks. :D

Dave

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am all about the instant gratification of immediate reward. No carrot? No clicks. :D

Dave

Now that is one fine pick up line! A man after my own heart. :clap:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
<snip > (Setting aside the onslaught of email spam that comes afterwards - I hate that garbage. Order ONE THING from Wayfair, and you're buried in multiple email spam messages every day afterwards. Ask me how I know this.)

THIS part!! What's worse than that are the ones that send multiple emails a day! Quickest way to get me to unsubscribe or mark as Spam. I know... that topic could take this thread way off course. My apologies in advance.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
(Setting aside the onslaught of email spam that comes afterwards - I hate that garbage. Order ONE THING from

COSTCO

, and you're buried in multiple email spam messages every day afterwards. Ask me how I know this.)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey now. Them’s fightin’ words! :D Lol!

Dave
I didn't go searching for your quote on Wayfair, but wanted to comment that they turned me away with wanting my email addy before I could even look at their catalog. They clearly want me a lot more than I want them. I can't even decipher their jingle on TV.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Which one of you reported my poll as non-sense? For the record, it was 5-0 in favor of keeping Richard’s news posts.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I like the articles and read most of them. I like the articles. As long as they aren't political, I say keep 'em coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.