• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MROP Bylaws

calkerry

Reaction score
I have a Multi Resort Ownership Plan (MROP) one week timeshare I want to get rid of.

I initially joined the MROP in 1992 when it was a limited partnership managed by Sixwater and later Sweetwater. On May 26, 1995 it was reorganized into a nonprofit organization and managed by Owners’ Resorts and Exchange (ORE) and subsequently Vacation Resorts Interval (VRI).

The Bylaws I have from the reorganization in 1995 have an interesting clause in ARTICLE VI Section 6.2 which states:

“Section 6.2 Cancellation of Membership. In the event that a Member becomes delinquent in the payment of the Assessments or Personal Charges, the Delinquent Member shall immediately lose all of his rights to use the facilities and to participate in any activity of the Association. In addition, the Association will notify the delinquent Member by Certified Mailat his last known address that his Membership in the Association will be canceled in thirty (30) days unless he responds and resolves his delinquency. If a satisfactory response is not received within this time period, the Membership, the Membership Certificate and all rights associated therewith shall be forthwith cancelled.”

I read this to say, if you become delinquent they cancel your membership.

Has anyone with membership in the same MROP read their Bylaws? And if so what do you conclude?

Also VRI wants to charge me an “exit fee” to turn in my one-week right to use. I don’t see any mention of an “exit fee” in the Bylaws.

My question is are the Bylaws binding on the MROP?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I can't speak to the Bylaws, since they could have been amended at some point during one of the several changes in management that have occurred, and your quoted piece may not be all there is to things. It would seem VRI thinks that's the way of things, at any rate.

However, I used to own an MROP week. I gave it away on Ebay (I think - may have been here on Tug) six years ago. Have you pursued that route? Depending on what you own, you may find a willing party to take it over rather easily. The "exit fee" VRI wants to charge you may not be a bad thing, depending on the amount. When I got rid of my week, I paid the transfer fees for the new owner, and it was gone within a few days. You may find that's the simplest way out. Defaulting on paying your fees is going to mess with your credit, and subject you to any number of harassing calls and such. It wouldn't be worth it, if you can dispose of things another way.

I just checked my records, and it looks like the only fees I paid for the new owner was a $120 "roster update fee." Since MROP is a right to use membership in a managed club, there was no underlying deed to update. That means to me this $120 fee was the charge to put the new owners name in place of mine on the membership. My local gym charges $125 to set up a new member, so this is not unusual, I'd say.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Dave

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also own an MROP week. I investigated returning it to them, perhaps last year. They sent me a new copy of the bylaws and iirc, there was a charge of 2 years' MF to do it.

Jim

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
After around 15 years of MROP ownership I investigated returning one earlier this year and received the paperwork to do so. The charge was a flat $1,800 plus the roster update fee which was still $120. I subsequently gave away on TUG as the charge seemed excessive for something that should have had some demand.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, I used to own an MROP week. I gave it away on Ebay (I think - may have been here on Tug) six years ago. Have you pursued that route? Depending on what you own, you may find a willing party to take it over rather easily.

I, too, gave away my MROP Week a number of years ago after listing it on TUG. I paid the transfer fee which at that time was negligible. Back when I owned it (pre VRI) I had a lot of success with my all Red MROP Week...

George

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they changed the rules awhile ago. They would take it back without any fee and then when the economy tanked they probably had many returned and decided to change the rules.

calkerry

Reaction score
I also own an MROP week. I investigated returning it to them, perhaps last year. They sent me a new copy of the bylaws and iirc, there was a charge of 2 years' MF to do it.

Jim
Jim,
Thank for the information. I Never received any correspondence regarding changing bylaws or voting on it. Normally to change bylaws there has to be a vote by majority of owners usually 50%+1. They certainly have my address as I keep getting all their literature, voting, ads. I'll try sending a certified letter to MROP headquarters in Utah as VRI is just a management scheduling firm located in California.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wasn’t MROP taken over by Trading Places at some point? And TPI used VRI for scheduling? So many players, who knows what’s true any more?

Dave

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a few MROP all red weeks. They have been great for me for the last 10 or so years. I think you should definitely first try to find a buyer on TUG.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the minutes for Timbers at Island Park and saw that MROP owns 100 weeks and had not paid their maintenance fees...Looked like they may be "returning" their intervals. I am assuming that means that the HOA has or is considering a deedback. Not sure if this is an indication of trouble or not...but worth looking into if you own.