• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

More Maui options. Westin Kaanapali Ocean Villas or Hyatt Kaanapali. Huge price difference

LAbad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
Ok so we recinded our Westin Nanea purchase and are now looking at Westin Kaanapali and Hyatt Kaanapali.

Here's what we are looking at:
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Villa 2 bdrm/Ocean View- every year fixed week (27)$32,000

Hyatt Kaanapali 2bedroom lower level-every year fixed week (27)$51,000

We want to come back every other year and either trade for another Hawaii location or sell our week on the years we don't return to Maui. We will be traveling with our 5 children who currently are 10yo-21yo.

We liked the idea the kids can take the shuttle to different resorts and to walers village, that there is snorkeling out front of Westin and that Westin has kids activities. However I hear Hyatt is all around a better resort, we didnt get a chance to visit and don't know if they have kids activities (this is #1 on the list to hubby). Is Hyatt worth the price difference? Are Westin ocean views right over or in front of the pool with just a sliver of ocean?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Hyatt is fabulous. It's a new resort, so there is very limited resale market and prices are very high, as usually happens with new resorts for a few years in the beginning. Hyatt resale prices will come down significantly when resale market develops.

Hyatt two bedroom sleeps 6. You said you have 5 kids, so with 2 adults that makes 7 people in total? Then Hyatt 2br would not work.

Westin Kaanapali and Westin Kaanapali North are older resorts with an established resale market. Prices have come down and are now relatively stable. Two bedrooms sleep 8.

Fixed weeks like Presidents day, 4th of July, Christmas and New Years are at a big premium compared to floating weeks 1-50. However, with 1-50 you still can reserve Presidents day or 4th of July if you reserve at 12 months right at the minute reservation window opens. So if you want 4th of July, that premium is not really justified. Christmas and New Years weeks 51 and 52 are all fixed, and there is no chance to reserve them with a floating week.

Ocean views can be hit or miss. Some are fabulous, some are just OK. If you want the best views, buy an Ocean Front Center (NOT Deluxe) at the original Westin Kaanapali (not North). Those go for about $30-$35k for a floating week.

LAbad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
Hyatt is fabulous. It's a new resort, so there is very limited resale market and prices are very high, as usually happens with new resorts for a few years in the beginning. Hyatt resale prices will come down significantly when resale market develops.

Hyatt two bedroom sleeps 6. You said you have 5 kids, so with 2 adults that makes 7 people in total? Then Hyatt 2br would not work.

Westin Kaanapali and Westin Kaanapali North are older resorts with an established resale market. Prices have come down and are now relatively stable. Two bedrooms sleep 8.

Fixed weeks like Presidents day, 4th of July, Christmas and New Years are at a big premium compared to floating weeks 1-50. However, with 1-50 you still can reserve Presidents day or 4th of July if you reserve at 12 months right at the minute reservation window opens. So if you want 4th of July, that premium is not really justified. Christmas and New Years weeks 51 and 52 are all fixed, and there is no chance to reserve them with a floating week.

Ocean views can be hit or miss. Some are fabulous, some are just OK. If you want the best views, buy an Ocean Front Center (NOT Deluxe) at the original Westin Kaanapali (not North). Those go for about $30-$35k for a floating week.

Thank you.
I worry we won't be able to reserve the week we need if we do floating. Say we want a week end of June and own Westin kaanapali north what the likelyhood I'll get it? I don't want to buy a time share we can't use.

I thought Hyatt slept 7.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Thank you.
I worry we won't be able to reserve the week we need if we do floating. Say we want a week end of June and own Westin kaanapali north what the likelyhood I'll get it? I don't want to buy a time share we can't use.

I thought Hyatt slept 7.

With a floating week, if you want the week that includes July 4th, you need to be on the computer at 9pm PST (midnight EST) exactly one year before your week, logged in and ready to click. If you are on top of things, you will most likely get your reservation. But no guarantee. You said "Westin Kaanapali Ocean Villa 2 bdrm/Ocean View- every year fixed week (27)$32,000", but a floating week would probably cost you half of that. I don't think that guarantee is worth additional $16,000.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
We just got back from a twelve night stay in Maui: 5 nights at WKORV (1BR OV) and 7 nights in our EOYO 2/2 fixed week 39. So can’t really speak to a 2/2 WKORV.
WKORV was very nice, beautiful and well maintained. Our OV was mainly of the pools, which we like, and a nice angled slice of ocean. Overall a great resort and very positive experience.
HKB was stunning. The Lanai was the largest I have ever seen. The living room opens completely up to the Lanai because of the modern sliding doors. The unit was huge and definitely an upgrade from the Westin. HKB was a smaller resort than WKORV, more of a boutique feel to it. I think we were told 140 total units. The view was straight on to the ocean, overlooking the pool.
We chose to buy at HKB (resale on Redweek) because of the specific week we wanted. Also, we wanted to be walking distance to Whalers Village. We also bought a 2/3 OV EOYO at the Marriott MOC next door that floats to use with the HKB, either the same week or before/after depending on our families plans.
Both resorts are great!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Buy the one you can afford to buy without financing. If you have to finance it, that eats up any value of owning a timeshare.

LAbad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
We just got back from a twelve night stay in Maui: 5 nights at WKORV (1BR OV) and 7 nights in our EOYO 2/2 fixed week 39. So can’t really speak to a 2/2 WKORV.
WKORV was very nice, beautiful and well maintained. Our OV was mainly of the pools, which we like, and a nice angled slice of ocean. Overall a great resort and very positive experience.
HKB was stunning. The Lanai was the largest I have ever seen. The living room opens completely up to the Lanai because of the modern sliding doors. The unit was huge and definitely an upgrade from the Westin. HKB was a smaller resort than WKORV, more of a boutique feel to it. I think we were told 140 total units. The view was straight on to the ocean, overlooking the pool.
We chose to buy at HKB (resale on Redweek) because of the specific week we wanted. Also, we wanted to be walking distance to Whalers Village. We also bought a 2/3 OV EOYO at the Marriott MOC next door that floats to use with the HKB, either the same week or before/after depending on our families plans.
Both resorts are great!
Would you mind sharing what they are going for on redweeek? $51k seems like allot for a fixed week

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Would you mind sharing what they are going for on redweeek? $51k seems like allot for a fixed week

That price is about right; it is a prime week and would be even more expensive if not on floors 1-4. The Hyatt is superior.

That said, we have owned a center OF unit at WKORV for ten years, shopped the Hyatt, and find WKORV-OF to be the better value overall of the two.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We have stayed at both the Hyatt and WKORV-N. The Hyatt is slightly higher end furnishing, love the lanai and boutique-like so more room at the pools. But IMO not worth the current premium margin over the Westins.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Hyatt two bedroom is about 1,100-1,200 sq.ft. It does not have a lock off capability. Maximum occupancy is 6. You can smuggle in 7, but it will not be comfortable. Here is the floor plan:
Screenshot_20191024-200553.jpg

Westin Kaanapali is 1,400 sq.ft. Maximum occupancy is 8. It has a lock off capability. I have stayed there with 7 people. 4 adults, 3 kids. We were comfortable. Here is the floor plan:

WKORV_1406_2BDRM_LOCKOFF.png

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
With a group of 7 I think I would be considering the 3 bedrooms at the Marriott. They have fixed weeks as well I believe.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I have owned Oceanfront WKORVNorth and would recommend it at a cost of $19,000. It is a lock off so if want to go for 2 weeks for yourself every other year you can stay 1 week on each side. Also the Westins have some nice features that Marriott and Hyatt do not. The studio side has a full refrigerator, washer and dryer in the unit as well as 2 burner cook top, Hyatt does not lock off and is hard to trade for different weeks so you would have a challenge to change for week 27. The Marriott's do not have the washer and dryer and stove top or full refrigerator on the studio side. In addition Westin has nicer pool chairs (i.e. cushions, neither Hyatt or Marriott has cushions on lounge chairs....not a big deal but why not have it....) The floating week is bookable every year with no issues as long as online 12 months prior although I have been to book for Feb/March spring break even at 10 months, so floating is very doable. Not sure about week 27 as never go over the summer.
The WKORVNorth is in the middle of renovations so will be eager to see how they look.
Also the WkoRVNorth has a balcony on both the studio and 1 bedroom for all views (island/oceanview/oceanfront). The WKORV South only has a studio balcony on the oceanfront views (not Oceanview or island view).

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
We paid $15K total (including closing, transfer) for our 2/2 EOYO Week 39 lower floor). That was last spring. I think they are in the 13K range now. I would assume an annual is around $20K-$25k.
As I said, both resorts are great. We like the units, Lanai’s and location of HKB better. But I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an OF or OV WKORVN. We enjoyed our stay there.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Since the OP wanted EOY, WKORVN also have plenty of EOYs available in Oceanfront. The WKORV south property OFs are only annuals. There is a rare EOY in the south but they are almost as expensive as an annual.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The Westin will provide a complimentary rollaway for a 9th guest - you don't have to smuggle them in.

The Hyatt villas have a chair that's a twin hide-a-bed - you don't have to smuggles your 7th person in.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We paid $15K total (including closing, transfer) for our 2/2 EOYO Week 29 lower floor). That was last spring. I think they are in the 13K range now. I would assume an annual is around $20K-$25k.
As I said, both resorts are great. We like the units, Lanai’s and location of HKB better. But I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an OF or OV WKORVN. We enjoyed our stay there.

I'm happy to see that at least some resale prices for Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach are dropping to the price levels of Marriott/Westin OF units. The Hyatt units are newer and nicer than Westin/Marriott, but they are less flexible to use (non-lockout; fixed weeks that are practically impossible to trade for any other Hawaii week). The project has been open >4 years now so some owners have reached the point when they must sell (death, family, or health reasons).

Of course, the large inventory at high prices shown on Redweek suggests that most owners haven't gotten the message yet.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm happy to see that at least some resale prices for Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach are dropping to the price levels of Marriott/Westin OF units. The Hyatt units are newer and nicer than Westin/Marriott, but they are less flexible to use (non-lockout; fixed weeks that are practically impossible to trade for any other Hawaii week). The project has been open >4 years now so some owners have reached the point when they must sell (death, family, or health reasons).

Of course, the large inventory at high prices shown on Redweek suggests that most owners haven't gotten the message yet.
I don’t think there is any doubt that HKB pricing is falling. We ended up paying 30% less than the asking price on Redweek. We were so amazed by the resort and our unit that we are now looking for a 2/2 floating week, as I said above. Since we always travel with family/friends, we don’t need a lockout, but I definitely understand the flexibility of them. We definitely wanted a fixed week 39 because that is a week that we know we will use EOYO. We enjoy knowing we will always get that week. Hopefully the Marriott floating weeks will supplement this fixed week.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OP said Westin or Hyatt so I'm assuming they've considered the Marriott and wanted slightly better amenities but I would seriously reconsider and look at a 3bdrm unit at the MOC which i think would be somewhere in between in cost but would fit your family much better. I'd go so far as to say either 2BDRMs would be a tight squeeze for 7.

The 3BDRM units are gorgeous with very nice amenities only slightly less high-end than the others and is actually much better located than the Westin and slightly better than the Hyatt.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Add to my last comment to say the Marriott will also give you much better trading to other Hawaiian island and other top end locations because you will be top dog in every trade and get what ever you want. I bet you could trade the 2BDRM side for 3BDRM units in Aruba and other nice Marriott 3BDRM units and then have the studio to use or rent.

This is a plan the OP seriously should consider.