• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

More baby boomers stay in their homes as they reach retirement, skipping downsizing

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be really hard for me, personally, to live in a community that was so not-reflective of the diversity of the greater community. Maybe that's just me; I hope not, because if so, I don't think that bodes well for our democracy.
Well that rules out a 55 plus community. I looked up Estero and it is 97.5 white, rather surprising in a community of 33000. There are over thirty gated communi, but only a couple are restricted to over 55.

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you define as a community? Is it just the immediate area (a street or two in each direction) around your (potential) home or is it the entire town?

Great question. I would consider it the wider neighborhood/adjacent neighborhoods/nearby shopping, dining, entertainment districts--possibly the wider town if if the town was smaller. The question for me is--how likely are you to interact with in a casual, but ongoing, regular basis (outside of work and/or school) with people who are different than you? Living in an all-white, 55+, upper-middle-class TOWN (not just a development within a larger/broader/more diverse neighborhood/town) would just be kind of depressing--for me.

Every place that I've lived in has been relatively diverse. The only exception was when I lived with my grandmother for a brief period of time when I was younger--in an isolated, rural, retirement community in north Florida. The only people of color you saw within the community were those who worked in either cooking or cleaning roles (they lived outside of the town confines, many miles--and probably worlds--away.) It was *deeply* uncomfortable for me. (Perhaps my reaction was the hope that maybe things had changed in the past 35 some years?) Currently, I live within walking distance to the downtown entertainment/shopping/dining district, and that brings a lot of diversity with it. Context and neighborhood demographics are as important to me as structure, mostly because I am a big believer in how the physically-built environment can either hinder or support true community-building.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I never have given diversity a thought when it comes to where I live. I care about the crime rate, the amenities of the community and the area, and conveniences, access to health care, maybe transportation, affordability, natural beauty, peace and quiet, closeness to family, as well as if the people living there- whoever they may be- are nice and not rif raf.

Where we are moving, there are people of all backgrounds- even though most are Caucasian- Irish, Scottish, Italians, French Canadian, and many others I am sure, and many from NY and Massachusetts and Florida and other states. That is diversity.

In terms of who decides to move to a 55+ retirement community, it just could be a cultural thing in the decision making for that. Maybe some people/cultures like a more urban environment. Maybe they like living with several generations in a home, which you cannot do in a 55+ community. Maybe they don't care about diversity either. I doubt there is any blatant discrimination going on, though of course, it is possible in some places. If you have the greenbacks to move somewhere, you are in.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It would be really hard for me, personally, to live in a community that was so not-reflective of the diversity of the greater community. Maybe that's just me; I hope not, because if so, I don't think that bodes well for our democracy.
That is what I love about my area. It is diverse, just like how I grew up.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I never have given diversity a thought when it comes to where I live. I care about the crime rate, the amenities of the community and the area, and conveniences, access to health care, maybe transportation, affordability, natural beauty, peace and quiet, closeness to family, as well as if the people living there- whoever they may be- are nice and not rif raf.

Where we are moving, there are people of all backgrounds- even though most are Caucasian- Irish, Scottish, Italians, French Canadian, and many others I am sure, and many from NY and Massachusetts and Florida and other states. That is diversity.

In terms of who decides to move to a 55+ retirement community, it just could be a cultural thing in the decision making for that. Maybe some people/cultures like a more urban environment. Maybe they like living with several generations in a home, which you cannot do in a 55+ community. Maybe they don't care about diversity either. I doubt there is any blatant discrimination going on, though of course, it is possible in some places. If you have the greenbacks to move somewhere, you are in.
The 55+ communities by me have diversity. I think being closer to a major city is a drawer to many.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Great question. I would consider it the wider neighborhood/adjacent neighborhoods/nearby shopping, dining, entertainment districts--possibly the wider town if if the town was smaller. The question for me is--how likely are you to interact with in a casual, but ongoing, regular basis (outside of work and/or school) with people who are different than you? Living in an all-white, 55+, upper-middle-class TOWN (not just a development within a larger/broader/more diverse neighborhood/town) would just be kind of depressing--for me.

Every place that I've lived in has been relatively diverse. The only exception was when I lived with my grandmother for a brief period of time when I was younger--in an isolated, rural, retirement community in north Florida. The only people of color you saw within the community were those who worked in either cooking or cleaning roles (they lived outside of the town confines, many miles--and probably worlds--away.) It was *deeply* uncomfortable for me. (Perhaps my reaction was the hope that maybe things had changed in the past 35 some years?) Currently, I live within walking distance to the downtown entertainment/shopping/dining district, and that brings a lot of diversity with it. Context and neighborhood demographics are as important to me as structure, mostly because I am a big believer in how the physically-built environment can either hinder or support true community-building.

A bit off topic from your point, but still in the ball park....I've watched a few downtown areas struggle in terms of how to get people to move back downtown. Some have been fairy successful, others not so much - but the ones that are on the more successful track seem to be the ones that create a neighborhood within a municipality.

I recall in San Francisco (this was a loooooong time ago) that people really had little need to travel outside a 5 - 6 block (approx) radius of where they lived because within that same area was literally everything they needed to live. Grocery store (more like corner markets), hardware stores, shops, banks, and businesses with residences above many of them in the same building. San Francisco was then (and I suspect still is) very densely populated.

That sort of effect seems to be what more areas are trying to develop as part of an effort to encourage more people to live in closer proximity (and in many cases, in a downtown area).

Is a denser population pattern preferable and sustainable? That is question on which volumes could be (and to some extent have been) written.

In the meantime, where we want to live (what type of environment, where it is located, etc) will always come back to personal preference and to that end, I hope you find exactly the neighborhood and residence you are looking for Amy. In my preferred neighborhood, the only diversity will be in the animals who frequent the area, the variety of tree and plant life, and the changing of the seasons. That is a rather roundabout way of saying when we retire, I want to live away from just about everything - except mountains, trees, a small river or stream, and wonderful views (inspired by Thoreau...) How wonderful it would be to gaze through any window, or sit upon the porch and see the wonders of the natural world.....

One day.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
While in small college in the deep South, I (a Yankee) was invited to a baby shower. The "mother to be" was not married and being in a "family way", was a reason to be thrown out of school back then. I was the ONLY white person invited ... and I knew almost no one there. But everyone knew me and I was warmly welcomed.

WHY? The university's Dean of Woman had called me into her office, to question my knowledge of an 'expecting' student in my dorm. I really could NOT figure out who she was talking about .. but I knew the ONLY answer was "She walks around the dorm floor in her underwear and definitely to me, does NOT look like she is expecting." That ended the 'witch hunt' ... she graduated from college.

Her boyfriend was crusing in a big boat off Vietnam ... little hard to get married in those days.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
23CED948-B183-499D-95CA-7519A589662A.jpeg
A bit off topic from your point, but still in the ball park....I've watched a few downtown areas struggle in terms of how to get people to move back downtown. Some have been fairy successful, others not so much - but the ones that are on the more successful track seem to be the ones that create a neighborhood within a municipality.

I recall in San Francisco (this was a loooooong time ago) that people really had little need to travel outside a 5 - 6 block (approx) radius of where they lived because within that same area was literally everything they needed to live. Grocery store (more like corner markets), hardware stores, shops, banks, and businesses with residences above many of them in the same building. San Francisco was then (and I suspect still is) very densely populated.

That sort of effect seems to be what more areas are trying to develop as part of an effort to encourage more people to live in closer proximity (and in many cases, in a downtown area).

Is a denser population pattern preferable and sustainable? That is question on which volumes could be (and to some extent have been) written.

In the meantime, where we want to live (what type of environment, where it is located, etc) will always come back to personal preference and to that end, I hope you find exactly the neighborhood and residence you are looking for Amy. In my preferred neighborhood, the only diversity will be in the animals who frequent the area, the variety of tree and plant life, and the changing of the seasons. That is a rather roundabout way of saying when we retire, I want to live away from just about everything - except mountains, trees, a small river or stream, and wonderful views (inspired by Thoreau...) How wonderful it would be to gaze through any window, or sit upon the porch and see the wonders of the natural world.....

One day.

Lol! That’s how I live now! Had this visitor on our deck this morning.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is my dream scenario!

I know a well off baby boomer who purchased deeded weeks in a resort in the Caribbean weeks 1-52. Collected them resale cheap it took a few years before retirement. They now live in resort where they get housekeeping, free parking, and all the amenities of living in a resort. Their maint fees total 3,800 per month. They have no electric bill, no cable bill, no gas bill. When something breaks it gets replaced. Their house is paid off and keep it when they need to come back to the US for any reason. The 3,800 per month is cheaper than what their monthly payment was when they had a mortgage. Nice life.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to live away from just about everything - except mountains, trees, a small river or stream, and wonderful views (inspired by Thoreau...) How wonderful it would be to gaze through any window, or sit upon the porch and see the wonders of the natural world.....

One day.

Growing up in the city, I had that same desire. One day I woke up and found myself on 5 wooded acres in the middle of nowhere and 20 miles from the closest town. I see more deer on most days than I see people. City living does have it's annoyances, but it also has it's conveniences.

I hope you find yours "one day" and never look back.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Very well said.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bart,

Glad to hear y'all are getting to do what you want with your housing situation but might I ask the following: what will y'all do with all that extra room as you get older? I'm asking this because we are currently considering what to do when we retire and our (current) 2350 sq ft home with 4 BR, 2 bath is a lot more house than we will need 99+% of the time.

In other words, will you make use of the entirety of the house most of the time?

I certainly get the extra space is nice when family comes by but how did y'all address the downsides to this extra space (heating / cooling / upkeep)? Did your remodel help address this (perhaps putting in zones to heat and/or cool the extra space as needed)?

We're at a similar decision point that you describe and are working through this decision too. In our case, just about ANY move is going to increase our monthly living costs (even if we downsize) because the COL in Arkansas is among the cheapest in the country.
Even though I saved/invested starting at age 18 and have always managed to live within our means we've been fortunate enough to own 4 timeshares and have been on 15 or so cruises we are in good financial shape where we haven't many worries. We will continue to watch the use of water,heat,air like we have always done. As more relatives move for different reasons it also mean more come back for vacations,friends visits,school reunions,etc. We are in the area where our families grew up and I can't imagine the house not getting plenty of use. In fact one of my brothers passed away last year and our Mother at 96 passed away about 2 months ago. That is two houses being put up for sale and 7 more area rooms gone for family to visit. Not happy with losing them but realize it is part of life especially as we age.
We have two older model cars that still look and drive like new and will eventually be replacing one if not both. I think our biggest expense now is our long term care insurance which we just got notified is going up 80% which was a shocker from about $5,800 to $9,000. Luckily we both have pensions to go along with our SS and 401k's and IRA'S.
Our kids know our plans and know our house is always open to them and will be their house in the future. Both my wife and I owned houses before we married and were able to sell when the prices sky rocketed which helped with this house and other future expenses. Just lucky and glad we have great families and open doors for each other.
Bart

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Where we just moved to (after downsizing - post-Retirement) to a location where 48% of the people living are from outside the US - and it is one of the most expensive cities in the US, and one of the safest of cities with populations over 150K.
We love it - but I grew up in SF, so what the heck do I know? ;)

Most move to States with less taxes and lower expensive locations - not us. Right into the Belly of the Beast. Of course, selling our mid-Peninsula house helps... :D

I would never live in a non-diverse community...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would think that Wisconsin Dells Lake Delton area has to rank fairly high on diversity. They bring in five or six thousand students from foreign countries each summer and a big amount ends up staying here. The school class list sounds and looks like the United Nations. The Catholic Church has a mass in English, one in polish, and one in Spanish each Sunday. There is a large Native American population. There are several families in the neighborhood that have the grandparents come over for six months, they don’t speak English and they take care of the kids. I stopped in four places one day and was helped by people in each place of business with varying accents and levels of English. They also have over half of students on free or reduced lunch.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
I'm a baby boomer and might skip the downsizing ... I live in a "safe" community near family and friends with plenty of amenities

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I know my husband will be happy knowing there will be some New Yorkers in the community. At least some people to root for the Yankees and the Giants with him amongst all Red Sox and Patriots fans! Now that brings diversity! LOL!