• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Monarch 2018 Maintenance fees?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what the 2018 Monarch maintenance fees are? I prepaid most of my maintenance fees this year to get some points I needed and the way Marriott has it listed I don't know how much I paid towards the Monarchs. All I know is I have a $183.41 balance for each week now.

Thank you.

BreakingAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines (1)
Marriott Grande Ocean (4)
Can someone please tell me what the 2018 Monarch maintenance fees are? I prepaid most of my maintenance fees this year to get some points I needed and the way Marriott has it listed I don't know how much I paid towards the Monarchs. All I know is I have a $183.41 balance for each week now.

Thank you.
Fixed week is $1683.41 and floating week is $1711.38 for 2018.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow I was afraid that was the total. That is a 15.64% increase. I don't have the details yet but I hope there is a special assessment of some kind that goes away because it's a wonderful resort but that is out of control. It's $270 above the Grande Ocean. That is crazy.

That was the last of mine that hadn't reported. Brings my total 2018 Marriott MFs to $39,023.

BreakingAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines (1)
Marriott Grande Ocean (4)
Wow I was afraid that was the total. That is a 15.64% increase. I don't have the details yet but I hope there is a special assessment of some kind that goes away because it's a wonderful resort but that is out of control. It's $270 above the Grande Ocean. That is crazy.

That was the last of mine that hadn't reported. Brings my total 2018 Marriott MFs to $39,023.
Correction to above Monarch maintenance fees: the MF year is 2019, payable in 2018. 2019 is the final year of a $150 special assessment for three years, if I remember correctly.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score

I wonder if the "age" of Monarch's buildings and infrastructure, plays into that increase?

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I believe This years MF includes two assessments. The first is the 150 that ends in 2019. The second one is for 200 and a result of damage from Irma and Matthews. i would have preferred the 600 assessment that started in 16 as a 4 year deal to be a one time deal in 2016 but I understand why it wasn't done that way. though the pain won't change but the MF is 1333 plus 350 of assessments.

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just Posted this on the 2018 MF sticky.

Marriott Monarch Fixed Week

Property Tax 109.79
Operating Fee 863.49
Reserve Fee 458.49
==============
Total Fee 1431.77

Property Tax 121.96 +11%
Operating Fee 1106.69 +22%
Reserve Fee 454.76 -01%
===============
Total 1683.41 +17.5%

I reached out to the HOA for more clarity on the MF. The information that follows is what is going out to all owners.

Included in 2018 is an assessment of 200 for the damage caused by both Matthew's and Irma. Included in this is a 4 year assessment of 150 per year that started in 2016 that ends in 2019.

I believe that beginning in 2016, the MF should have been shown as follows and reached out to the board through various methods to express this. I get concerned when information is provided without clarity. I have no idea where my assessment has been added to since 2016.

Property Tax
Operating Fee
Reserve Fee
Assessment for the following reasons

The Monarch HOA has still not posted the last 2016 HOA minutes or the only 2016 Owner mintues. No, the 2016 reference is correct. The justification used, they haven't been approved. I asked for the 2017 to be posted highlighting on top that the minutes have not been approved. I asked for the owners meeting to have the option of teleconferencing starting in 2018. There are a number of free teleconferencing services that offer up to 1000 call-ins. We will see what gets done.

Happiness with the Monarch was the standard I used for HOA but it was set way too low. Transparency and communications are additional criteria and for this the current board is not doing a good job. I have no clue who the members are that caused this failing grade but it started with the President. We have new one this year so let's see what happens.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Re Monarch, it was very concerning last year when it was the only South Carolina resort (reported to TUG) that did not appear to assess a one-time "Disaster Recovery" fee following Hurricane Matthew, the concern being that they may have been dipping into the funds from the ongoing 4-year Special Assessment for major property repairs. There's a lengthy discussion thread here: HUGE 2017 MF's increases at SC Resorts / "Disaster Recovery" [Multi-threads merged.]

So now at Monarch the "DR" expense is catching up this year. If I were an owner there I'd certainly feel the pinch of being hit with two different SA's in one year but on the other hand it should have been expected, and, I'd be somewhat relieved to know that they aren't/haven't been playing fast and loose with the 4-year SA that's been designated since its inception for specific repairs unrelated to any storm damage.

I'd also be looking for transparency from the Board/GM in explaining these SA's in better detail, although IMO a public airing of the Annual Meeting via teleconferencing or video recording won't happen until MVW is mandated to do so. Doing it voluntarily at a single resort will generate outcries for it to be done at all of them, and that's a can of worms that MVW understandably doesn't want opened.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Correction to above Monarch maintenance fees: the MF year is 2019, payable in 2018. 2019 is the final year of a $150 special assessment for three years, if I remember correctly.

BreakingAway, based on past TUG discussions the Monarch four-year SA is in its third year; you still have one more to go. (See this thread, Monarch ... 2016-2019 4-year SA ...) The Marriott Weeks MF's invoices being issued now are for the 2018 Operating Budgets, not 2019.

All owners - each resort releases the packages and sets a due date on its own schedule; some are due in December and others in January. To find the total due MF's amounts, sign into owners.marriottvacationclub.com accounts and click on the "Maintenance Fee/Club Dues" link in the column on the right then click the "Make Payment" button. Also on that page just under the picture on the right click on "View eBilling Invoices & Inserts" and then navigate through each of the links there to access your ownership's itemized invoices/statements and Operating Budget packages.

Remember that each owner on a single account should have his/her own profile/sign-in and MVW attaches the MF's info to only the one designated as primary. This might be in play if you're not seeing what you expect you should be seeing. :)

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BreakingAway, based on past TUG discussions the Monarch four-year SA is in its third year; you still have one more to go. (See this thread, Monarch ... 2016-2019 4-year SA ...) The Marriott Weeks MF's invoices being issued now are for the 2018 Operating Budgets, not 2019.

Also on that page just under the picture on the right click on "View eBilling Invoices & Inserts" and then navigate through each of the links there to access your ownership's itemized invoices/statements and Operating Budget packages.

:)

Thank you for reminding me to look for the invoice and inserts. There was a detail explanation on why the 200 increase.

Also included was "Notwithstanding any additional natural disasters, your Board expects and plans to have maintenance fee reductions in both FY 2019, and FY 2020, with the elimination of the disaster recovery fee in FY 2019, and a further drop in the previously imposed four-year increase of the reserve fee in FY 2020".

As far as the teleconference for owners meeting, there are plenty of free services with up to 1000 lines. The feedback from the newly elected president was he liked the idea but the caveat was " need to explore if any of the other resorts are doing it or have done it, what any legal ramifications might be, associated costs, etc., etc.". I am not holding my breathe.

This Marriott Group on Tug is the perfect place to start a groundswell to accomplish teleconferencing. I belong to a Monarch FB group and I am trying it there. So far results are 27 to 1 for it in just 16 hours.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... As far as the teleconference for owners meeting, there are plenty of free services with up to 1000 lines. The feedback from the newly elected president was he liked the idea but the caveat was " need to explore if any of the other resorts are doing it or have done it, what any legal ramifications might be, associated costs, etc., etc.". I am not holding my breathe.

This Marriott Group on Tug is the perfect place to start a groundswell to accomplish teleconferencing of oI belong to a Monarch FB group.

Cost isn't the primary objection MVW has to teleconferencing or video/audio recordings of the resorts' Annual Meetings, because any expense could be charged to the ownership. It's exposure that they're concerned about considering that even when the property management is apparently above any hint of reproach, fewer people participating in the governing machinations means fewer questions asked and less misunderstanding. They release the minutes of the meetings because they're required to do so and some GM's are very good about sending out periodic newsletters - I'm not holding my breath for anything more, either. :)