• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Molokai Trip

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
So here’s how we decided. Slight edge in condition goes to A203 but that is mostly because it has been available to rent for a long time so it is being cleaned regularly. B209 just entered the rental market and is under a different rental company. I would switch the rental companies. The other company does better with the cleaning and advertising.

A203 is oceanfront and would rent more often. It’s funny though because the rental prices are about the same. Only a zero to $15 a night difference depending on the season. With B209, Looks like there’s no reason why we couldn’t at least get our HOA paid through the rentals so that’s good. We would do better with A203 but it still wouldn’t cover everything.

When I first can here we were looking at two complexes too. Molokai Shores and WaveCrest. We quickly eliminated Moloka’i Shores even though it was close to town. WaveCrest has a more community feel, was kept up better, units we’re larger and the loft units at Moloka’i Shores turned out to be less appealing when we saw them and third floor was a lot of stairs.

So the deciders for us on B209, next to the end of the building so the only people going by our unit would be anyone staying in B210. Not a big deal for short stays but a plus when we’re living there. Next the view, while we love the oceanfront, we’re used to seeing more that the oceanfront, a beach, people on the walking path or just people walking the resort. Many times people would go by and start up a conversation. So with B209 we get a nice view of the ocean and Maui, the beautiful grounds and the wonderful mountains that look like Na Pali right over the C building. Then lastly and isn’t a deal breaker by any means but B209 will probably sell for $40 to $50 thousand less. That’s about 30% less and its definitely more of what we want when living there. If we were just going to rent this and not live there, only go once a year. We would probably go with A203. And we still may end out there depending how the offer goes.:)

I do want to mention also that the pool area at WaveCrest is awesome and I Think we would be there a lot. So we can get all the full on ocean we could want by walking about 50 yards. Plus get interaction with other owners or vacationers.

So, there’s our thought process. We should know more in a week. :thumbup:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So, there’s our thought process. We should know more in a week. :thumbup:

It all makes great sense, and I agree about foot traffic walking past your unit. Lofts tend to collect noise, dirt, and heat. Ocean front is always nice, but once the sun goes down, then what? If you can walk 50 yards and have the OF experience, I'd say it's worthwhile.

Good luck with this. Fingers crossed.

Dave

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It all makes great sense, and I agree about foot traffic walking past your unit. Lofts tend to collect noise, dirt, and heat. Ocean fort is always nice, but once the sun goes down, then what? If you can walk 50 yards and have the OF experience, I'd say it's worthwhile.

Good luck with this. Fingers crossed.

Dave

Yes, didn’t mention that, the grounds are lit with the touches at night and it looks great then too. Nothing in front by that 25 yard patch of grass in front of A203. It was very dark there at night.

We realize all these are subjective and other will feel different about the same things.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We had a hard time keeping them straight too. Before I got here I wanted to look at six. It was really tough then to keep them straight but then we were down to two and it wasn’t too bad but we still mixed things up between them.
Thanks! The speakers on my computer are weird so I didn't hear your narrative. Looks like the layout of the units is pretty much the same? For Hawaii I like tile floors better than wood, but I don't think I've ever stayed any place with wood floors. Personally I might go for the ocean front.........but those wood floors. :rolleyes: Both units looks very nice. I think you would be happy with either one.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks! The speakers on my computer are weird so I didn't hear your narrative. Looks like the layout of the units is pretty much the same? For Hawaii I like tile floors better than wood, but I don't think I've ever stayed any place with wood floors. Personally I might go for the ocean front.........but those wood floors. :rolleyes: Both units looks very nice. I think you would be happy with either one.

Yes, they pretty much are the same layout. The wood floor will be fine for renting but we agree and will probably change over to tile when we move.

If this all happens of course. :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yes, they pretty much are the same layout. The wood floor will be fine for renting but we agree and will probably change over to tile when we move.

If this all happens of course. :)
The one you put an offer in on has tile though right? One thing I thought was odd in both units were the two kitchen stools stored kind of under the counter. Where would you use them? I thought maybe on the other side of the counter, but I noticed in one of the unit they already had stools on the other side in addition to the ones in the kitchen. Is there room to sit in the kitchen? Also noticed the teeny, tiny dishwashers. Those are about the size of what we had at Maui Hill. I'll have to check next time we're there, but I think they all got swapped out for larger units. They also used to be placed right under the sink which was very inconvenient. Again, I think they've been moved, but I'll have to double check.

Are the units being sold furnished? With everything included?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The one you put an offer in on has tile though right? One thing I thought was odd in both units were the two kitchen stools stored kind of under the counter. Where would you use them? I thought maybe on the other side of the counter, but I noticed in one of the unit they already had stools on the other side in addition to the ones in the kitchen. Is there room to sit in the kitchen? Also noticed the teeny, tiny dishwashers. Those are about the size of what we had at Maui Hill. I'll have to check next time we're there, but I think they all got swapped out for larger units. They also used to be placed right under the sink which was very inconvenient. Again, I think they've been moved, but I'll have to double check.

Are the units being sold furnished? With everything included?

Yes, the stools are kind of useless in both units, a little better in A203. The dishwasher are small but fine for now. Yes, all the ones we looked at come complete with everything you see.

We would probably change out the countertops in either of them once we moved.

No, the one we out the office in on has some wood flooring but that is fine with us for now. Flooring is again something we would change when we moved.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I like the deeper lanai on the B209 unit, and water views in two directions. Hope you get it. :)

Dave

I agree with Dave, deeper lanai and multiple views of water and mountains are all good.
Thanks Jeff for letting us live vicariously through your search.
Makes me want to go to Molokai some day; maybe not for a whole week cause I gotta see Lanai too LOL.
Very few people I know in Honolulu go to Moloka'i unless they have friends or family living there.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got out of Moloka’i and have some time in Honolulu, then Kona. Strange flight home but then it San Francisco straight to Madison. They just started this route so not bad.

I’ll stay with this thread and report any ups or downs.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just got out of Moloka’i and have some time in Honolulu, then Kona. Strange flight home but then it San Francisco straight to Madison. They just started this route so not bad.

I’ll stay with this thread and report any ups or downs.

Have a safe flight home! And good luck on your offer!!

Dave

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am just catching up on your posts. Good luck with getting B209. A deeper Lanai would be so much more useful especially if you live there full time.
I have a question: does your cellphone work well on Molakai? If so, which carrier do you use?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I use Verizon and the phone worked well for calling but the data not much at all. I did most of my posting when I went back to my unit. They are getting a free hot spot in Kaunakakai next year. A free hours usage for each device. Just read that in the Moloka’i Dispach today.

Last edited:

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I use Verizon and the phone worked well for calling but the data not much at all. I did most when I went back to my unit. They are getting a free hot spot in Kaunakakai next year. A free hours usage for each device. Just read that in the Moloka’i Dispach today.
What airline are you flying on Jeff? I am in Detroit so delta & spirit and southwest are good here. AL

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the efforts. I just put a bid in on the property.

j/k

If it’s more than my bid you can have it. I’ll move on to the next. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What airline are you flying on Jeff? I am in Detroit so delta & spirit and southwest are good here. AL

I use United just about all the time. Chicago is a hub and there are great times out of Madison. Used to to Madison to Denver but now they go all the way to San Francisco from and to Madison so we’ll see if that’s better. Prices are usually better too on United.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Made it to Kona. Lot of construction here. I have to go through security again. Leave for San Francisco in an hour.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, security was slow and I had Pre-Check.

One thing I forgot to mention on the cellphone question. I heard that AT&T works there. I had three bars but nothing ever refreshed. There was someone Skyping at the airport so something most work there. I checked and there was no WiFi. I believe I read that there are two restaurants I. Kaunakakai that have WiFi.

I did eat at the Food Counter at the little grocery store just past WaveCrest. I had the Teri-Chicken plate lunch, $11.00 and really good.

E2D86722-BD88-48A8-B547-2CDDE1B3F2C9.jpeg

taffy19

Reaction score
Have a safe flight to San Francisco, Jeff.

After that, you still have another long leg in front of you to fly back home but you still manage that long flight several times a year to visit your favorite Islands. :)

I hope that you will hear from your broker soon with an acceptance by the seller of your offer.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Made it to San Francisco. Two hours to rest before the last leg. I am breaking down and getting one of those neck pillows though. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiting for a computer reboot. Sounds like all the planes. Then we can start this last leg.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, they just got everything they need and we’ll be pushing out in a few minutes.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well the offer is officially signed and sent back. She will probably present it tomorrow. Hopefully hear back by the end of the week.

Last edited: