• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Molokai Trip

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Just took a ride further west and did some filming along the way. A couple of these get long. I spared anyone that wants to watch and take a ride because I didn’t talk much. You can ride shotgun and listen to the radio. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Then we continue on past WaveCrest. Some of these will end abruptly because the road goes down to one lane and I have to pull over so people can go by from the other way. No one was injured durinythe making of these videos. :D

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Still further east.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Heading back now so going west. It is beautiful over there.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last one on the road, still heading west going toward WaveCrest.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can’t remember if I posted when I was by the A building at WaveCrest, a guy was Fishing over there at a small beach. This was the beach today at low tide.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’ll bore you with one more. Me sitting on one of the benches they have by the pool a few feet from the ocean.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I take my last look at two properties in a couple hours and then I will talk to her about putting in an offer.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Your posts make me want to go back to Molokai. I don't think I can talk any of the rest of the family into going with me though. None of them were as enthralled with it as I was.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your posts make me want to go back to Molokai. I don't think I can talk any of the rest of the family into going with me though. None of them were as enthralled with it as I was.

I can understand that too, it's certainly not for everyone. I thought I was relaxed when I was on Kauai. This makes Kauai feel like Oahu.:)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Jeff, I have to tell you - I totally understand your interest in Molokai. Watching these videos has shown me why it would be a quiet and satisfying place to retire. I've been amazed at how empty the beaches have been, how little traffic I've seen on the roads, and how few people have been seen. I realize you're trying to see the area, and not the people, so have likely avoided recording any crowds, but if it's truly as deserted as it seems, it would be a great place to spend time just relaxing.

Your search for a place to buy has been pretty thorough, I think, and you've definitely done your due diligence. I hope you can put a deal together on the place you want. Fingers crossed for you both. Keep us posted.

Dave

taffy19

Reaction score
Still further east.

Thank you for posting these last two beautiful car rides. I believe that takes you to the beautiful Halawa Valley where we hiked to a beautiful waterfall through dense tropical rainforest. You will love to do this too when you return again or are living there.

Here is some more about the scenery and hike.

Amazing how you drove and took video clips of the scenery at the same time and shared it with us. It brought back happy memories to us. We loved Molokai too.

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/hike-molokais-lush-halawa-valley-its-250-foot-moaula-falls

Looking forward to find out what you decide to do.

Aloha and Mahalo. :D

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
I’ll bore you with one more. Me sitting on one of the benches they have by the pool a few feet from the ocean.

Paradise! Will listen to your comments or Island sounds later...

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a ferry but it closed down in 2016. There are day trips you take take that boat over from Maui. There are full and half day trips and some have some snorkel time. Or you can take a plane over and rent a car. Car rentals are limited here. Alamo is the only name brand on the island I went with Moloka’i Car Rentals the local guys. They tell you what car you will have and the license number. Then they park it in the airport parking lot with the keys under the mat. If you stop in Kaunakakai and pay them in cash you get a discount.

We’re doing Maui and Kauai in January. Maui Schooner first and then the Pono Kai. That may change if we do purchase a place here. It may turn into Maui and Moloka’i. I know my wife will want to start doing some things with the place.

Regardless, we are doing the plane over to Kalaupapa.
Thanks Jeff, hope that some day our paths will cross at Pona Kai and I can say hello in person. AL

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Jeff, hope that some day our paths will cross at Pona Kai and I can say hello in person. AL

That would be great!! We are definitely keeping some Pono Kai weeks although I may downsize some of my rental weeks. We’ll see. I always say that and then they rent so quick another year goes by. I will definitely hold on to my Maui Schooner weeks. Although I may get rid of the one bedroom but anyway I want to hold on to at least a week for bonus time. It may come in handy if we go to Maui for stuff, we can just stay they for a day or two.

If we end out Purchasing, our January trip will change to Maui and Moloka’i. My wife will definitely want to start putting her stamp on the place. I haven’t purchased the short flight to Kauai and back yet so I can easily book it for Moloka’i. If a purchase doesn’t happen we will still make a day trip or maybe two days over on Moloka’i.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff, I have to tell you - I totally understand your interest in Molokai. Watching these videos has shown me why it would be a quiet and satisfying place to retire. I've been amazed at how empty the beaches have been, how little traffic I've seen on the roads, and how few people have been seen. I realize you're trying to see the area, and not the people, so have likely avoided recording any crowds, but if it's truly as deserted as it seems, it would be a great place to spend time just relaxing.

Your search for a place to buy has been pretty thorough, I think, and you've definitely done your due diligence. I hope you can put a deal together on the place you want. Fingers crossed for you both. Keep us posted.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

The people I recorded on the beaches were the only ones there so there’s not too many on the beaches. These were mostly weekdays and I got in too late for Saturday but even at that I’m fine with it. Having a beach for just the two of us would be fine. :)

I would think that the traffic is a pretty good representation of how it is. I was out on all days at different times and it wasn’t much.

The busiest place is definitely in Kaunakakai town right by the two markets. There are always people there and sometimes a Food truck and most days farmers selling fruits and vegetables. Today there was a guy with his tailgate down on his pickup in front of the two markets and he had a sign that said Freah Poi. If it wasn’t Friday with me leaving tomorrow I would have bought some. I have always heard fresh makes all the difference. So that will be for next time. :)

I was later than I thought with the realtor because I put an offer in. She needed a lot of information for the 17 pages of forms, good grief. :)

She will scan it and email it to my wife so she can print and sign. I have to send some information to my mortgage broker on Monday anyway. So we’ll find out late next week I would think. They won’t accept but we’ll have to see what they do.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for posting these last two beautiful car rides. I believe that takes you to the beautiful Halawa Valley where we hiked to a beautiful waterfall through dense tropical rainforest. You will love to do this too when you return again or are living there.

Here is some more about the scenery and hike.

Amazing how you drove and took video clips of the scenery at the same time and shared it with us. It brought back happy memories to us. We loved Molokai too.

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/hike-molokais-lush-halawa-valley-its-250-foot-moaula-falls

Looking forward to find out what you decide to do.

Aloha and Mahalo. :D

Yes, you are correct, that’s where the waterfall is. You have to have a guide take you on the hike in to see it. That will be another thing we will still have to do. And you are also correct about paradise. It is beautiful up there!!

This is where I missed my copilot on this trip. She would have been taking the video. I must have done alright because she said she liked those videos because she was able to see so much. It was just like she was there too because after she watched them she said the radio was on too loud and she always tells me that. :D

I never thought about it though, I had the phone right by the steering wheel so it probably was pretty close to the speaker. But she loves the Aloha Friday song. :)

Great pictures of the hike!! I hope my wife will be able to make that. I know she would love it. She would be slow but I think she would make it.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn’t make it to see the aunties. So that will have to be for another trip too. It took a long time with the realtor, then of course I had to get back and go over it all with my wife. I did make it back before Maka’s Corner closed so I could get a bowl of Saimin. Not Hamura’s but pretty darn good. $7.95 for a pretty big bowl. I thought I had a picture of it but I forgot, I was Skyping with my wife and I just showed it to her. She loves Saimin. Here’s a picture of there menu board, they serve breakfast too.

7F7BE45A-6EB6-4551-9213-31CE94D0A559.jpeg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Jeff, I imagine your wife was sad she couldn't make this trip with you.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff, I imagine your wife was sad she couldn't make this trip with you.

Very and I felt terrible. I offered for her to go when she could get off from work. I wouldn’t be able to get off from work later but she said she didn’t want to travel alone. So the best thing was me alone.

It worked though, by the second day she was loving all the videos and she said it helped he a ton. So it turned out well in the end.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Very and I felt terrible. I offered for her to go when she could get off from work. I wouldn’t be able to get off from work later but she said she didn’t want to travel alone. So the best thing was me alone.

It worked though, by the second day she was loving all the videos and she said it helped he a ton. So it turned out well in the end.

Actually, it may have worked better that she wasn't there. That way, all she could see were the videos you took. She wasn't distracted by the smell of the air, or feel of the wind. You both had a goal, and she was able to stay on point by not being there. She'd notice things you may have overlooked. So not necessarily a bad thing. You'll have plenty of time there together in the future.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, it may have worked better that she wasn't there. That way, all she could see were the videos you took. She wasn't distracted by the smell of the air, or feel of the wind. You both had a goal, and she was able to stay on point by not being there. She'd notice things you may have overlooked. So not necessarily a bad thing. You'll have plenty of time there together in the future.

Dave

That is true, that was the reason for the third viewing. She noticed about four things she wanted me to look at again. Some where ok or better and a couple things were negatives that I mentioned with our offer.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That is true, that was the reason for the third viewing. She noticed about four things she wanted me to look at again. Some where ok or better and a couple things were negatives that I mentioned with our offer.
For those of us, well okay me, that were having trouble keeping the units straight, would you post again the video(s) you took of the one you made an offer on.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had a hard time keeping them straight too. Before I got here I wanted to look at six. It was really tough then to keep them straight but then we were down to two and it wasn’t too bad but we still mixed things up between them.
Here’s the one we made the offer on.

And here’s the one we will offer on depending on what they come back with.
She knows we have other options so hopefully that will put a little more pressure on with our low offer.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We had a hard time keeping them straight too. Before I got here I wanted to look at six. It was really tough then to keep them straight but then we were down to two and it wasn’t too bad but we still mixed things up between them.
Here’s the one we made the offer on.

And here’s the one we will offer on depending on what they come back with.
She knows we have other options so hopefully that will put a little more pressure on with our low offer.

I like the deeper lanai on the B209 unit, and water views in two directions. Hope you get it. :)

Dave

Last edited: