• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Molokai Trip

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Ok, now the other side of Murphy’s Beach.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
The General store a couple miles wast of WaveCrest. There is a small home in the wall for plate lunches too.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There was a nice turnout just past mile marker 20. That’s where I took this one.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I went to the other grocery store today too. Much better variety. Prices are about on par with Kauai but not as good a selection.

After that I stopped in and paid for my rental car. I just have to park it in the grass by the airport and leave the keys under the mat when I’m done.

This morning, I noticed in my paperwork that I was supposed to checkin at the office of Moloka’i Shores. I did that before I left this morning. After I checked In she gave me a parking pass.

Before I left town, I stopped at the LunchBox. Looks like they where new. They had a sign saying they didn’t take credit cards yet. I had the Big Taco. It was actually two big chili tacos. They were really good and they were big, $12.00.

I took it to the public beach just past Moloka’i Shores. I guy working at the building I was eating at noticed my tattoos and we talked for quite a while.

1A18E799-1999-4015-8C8C-DADE26B00A52.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s some more of the beach park I ate lunch at.

51EB5092-6C0B-45CD-B4CC-4CB9DA3A0D6B.jpeg

F2C3CDFA-9B8E-4BFA-8D7E-B2B3B32706D4.jpeg

371C2905-9458-4BE9-B9B0-7C04660274B1.jpeg

6A413C5F-569C-440F-B0CA-6CB0565C2E2C.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s 4pm and I put the screen half way down for some shade. It is warm today with a high of 89. It’s about 83 in the unit but it feels cooler than that with the airflow. Its a good time to be here and Check everything out.

963DECA3-D3BB-4B18-B7FD-976141D18E97.jpeg

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I guy working at the building I was eating at noticed my tattoos and we talked for quite a while.

I told you those would come in handy. ;)

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I told you those would come in handy. ;)

Dave
Same thing happened outside the grocery store on Sunday. A guy had a small stand in the shade by the grocery store. The store didn’t have any Apple Bananas so I went to see if he did. Right away he asked me about the Niihau shell lei I was wearing then we started taking about each other’s tattoos.

I had picked out some bananas, Papayas and two mangoes and we kept talking. In the mean time another guy comes over and picked out the same items and quantities I did and the stand owner said $10 and the guy paid and left. We talked for a while longer and I pulled out $10 to give him and he says $5. I said the other guy got the same thing and he says, yeah but he’s a tourist. I laughed and said I was too. He said no that’s all in the Aloha and you have the Aloha.

I left him the extra $5 there too but he would have none of that. He came back to my car and have it back to me. He said come back on Wednesday and talk to me again. I told him I’ll see you Wednesday.

So I’ll see him Wednesday. :)
I’ll need more mangoes by then too.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So I’ll see him Wednesday. :)
I’ll need more mangoes by then too.

Sounds like you're making friends. I don't think you'll have any trouble fitting in there. Attitude is everything. Respect for Islanders, their culture, and who they are as people goes a very long way toward acceptance.

When I was in high school on Oahu, I made a point of making friends with as many people as I could, especially the Locals. I wanted to fit in. I might have been the haole boy from the Mainland, but the more I merged into things, the less of an outsider I was. I had no trouble, ever, and was accepted by my peers at a very mixed high school.

My father was hard core military, and absolutely hated everything about Hawaii. He especially didn't like Hawaiian people. He made all sorts of rude ethnic slurs about Hawaiians, and treated them like the hired help when he interacted with them. (Come to think of it, he hated Asians and Blacks, too.) I liked everybody, and it was humiliating to be with him in public sometimes. I've never forgotten that kind of blind hatred of people he had made no effort to get to know. I didn't understand it when I was fourteen, and I don't understand it today, fifty years later. I treat people the way I want to be treated. He never seemed to understand that was an option.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s 6:55pm and the sun is setting just over the A building here at Molokai Shores. I used the shade screen for about 3 hours today. Worked great, the A building only gets the sun early in the morning.

AE939678-37D4-4709-A012-BE8358071463.jpeg

Kapolei

Reaction score
.... I've never forgotten that kind of blind hatred of people he had made no effort to get to know. I didn't understand it when I was fourteen, and I don't understand it today, fifty years later. I treat people the way I want to be treated. He never seemed to understand that was an option.

Dave

Molokai would definitely be the wrong place for that attitude. That might fly at an expensive resort where people are paying a lot of money for service people to be nice no matter what the attitude.

On Molokai, people will be nice to you for free. Of course they will size you up first. It won’t work well for those that are easily offended when people start asking lots of questions about you and make wrong guesses and assumptions. You just got to roll with it and be kind. If they sense kindness, they will be kind. This is true in most cases. But there are exceptions. You just got stear clear of the exceptions.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your review and all those amazing photos.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Patti and I are realistic enough about our selves to know that we could never retire to Molokai. We like to see our Grand Babies too much and we like to travel too much. Also for the last 9.5 years we have lived less than a mile from downtown. We like the ability to walk to all our favorite Restaurants and Bars. That is why we could never live at Anini Beach (which I love) on Kauai. You have to drive 10 minutes just to get to a Coffee Shop.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Patti and I are realistic enough about our selves to know that we could never retire to Molokai. We like to see our Grand Babies too much and we like to travel too much. Also for the last 9.5 years we have lived less than a mile from downtown. We like the ability to walk to all our favorite Restaurants and Bars. That is why we could never live at Anini Beach (which I love) on Kauai. You have to drive 10 minutes just to get to a Coffee Shop.

This is a good point. I don’t think a lot of people could make Molokai their full time home. But, on the other hand, that is part of what makes it what it is. And it is certainly not an extension of Southern California which other places in Hawaii are in danger of becoming.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Several years ago we looked at at House on Kauai in the Poipu area. It had been beautifully updated and made over. The Sellers had only owned it for about 5 years and were selling to move to Oahu. They were both retired educators and had traveled to Kauai many times over the years and thought it would be a wonderful retirement location. Unfortunately they traveled a lot. So they were finding they had to fly to Honolulu to catch most of their flights. So they would go over a day early and stay in a Hotel the night before and also on their return. So after a year or two of that they bought a small Condo in Honolulu for these stays and for a place to stay went they wanted shopping trips. So after a year or two of that they decided to sell the House on Kauai and the small Condo in Honolulu and buy a large Condo in Honolulu.

We also visited a Condo on Maui that was on the Market for substantially less than the last sale in the Complex. A couple had retired and moved to Maui, again where they had visited for years. After a couple years they discovered they missed grandchildren and family too much. So they told the real estate agent to sell it and hopefully they did not take too large of a bath.

Every place we have traveled to around the World except three (Florida, Fiji, and Cancun) we have liked them well enough to live full time. But then we remember these two stories and how much we enjoy our time with our Granddaughters. Also it has to be a place where we can walk to our favorite Restaurants and Bars.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Every place we have traveled to around the World except three (Florida, Fiji, and Cancun) we have liked them well enough to live full time. But then we remember these two stories and how much we enjoy our time with our Granddaughters. Also it has to be a place where we can walk to our favorite Restaurants and Bars.

We’re definitely not like that. I have been to quite a few places and have only felt that way about Hawaii. At the moment no grandchild and none on the foreseeable future. DD lives in Florida and DS lives in the same small town we do. They are both very independent and living their own lives, as it should be. We see our son every couple of months, he works nights. We are in contact with our daughter through the internet mostly. She visits every year or two.

DD bought a condo and move out when she was 20 and DS bought a house and moved out when he was 19. I feel blessed, I always say we must have raised them well. They are good people.
I suppose we may not see my son as often but nothings saying he’s going to stay where he’s at either. Plus, there’s plenty of ways to stay in contact now a days.

The being close to town is a part of our decision here. One property is a mile from town and the other is 13 miles from town. We live about 10 miles to town now in Wisconsin so we have done both and we’ll have to see. This may come down to where the best deal is at.

People can always talk their way out of not doing something. Sometimes it’s right, sometimes it might not have been, who knows. All you can do is think it through the best you can and decide. We are either going to buy at the right price or not buy at all. That way if things don’t work, we can go wherever we want. We wouldn’t look at that as a failure. I don’t think that way. if we decide to leave, It will be something we tried and we moved on to something else.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We’ll I have my three s’s done as my father always said so i’m Ready to make the trip over to check out the west side. The realtor comes over at 5:30 so I can check out the property next to the one i’m Staying in at Moloka’i Shores. So i’ll Have some videos of the west side and another property late today.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got back from the north and west sides. I will have to go back that way again because I missed one section of the highway. Saw a lot of turkeys at Kepuhi Beach Resort. This is right by the hotel and golf course that are closed down. I think these are Merriam Turkeys. I went to Wyoming one year and hunted them. I did get one and they have the light colored band on the tail. The turkeys by us in Wisconsin are Eastern Turkeys and they have a dark band.

D8127EA2-CCD4-48B6-B17E-9A0C610DF6A8.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’ll have a few post in a row again with videos. I have a couple hours before I meet the realtor at WaveCrest today.

This one is over looking Kepuhi Beach. On one of these I mistakenly say the north side of the island. I wanted to say North West side. At least as far as the roads I could take were. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This one is actually down on the beach.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A short one of pulling into Ke Nani Kai. The Timeshare there. It’s amazing having a couple we’ll kept properties right next to that large one that’s all boarded up. It’s a shame.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another short one of a pull over I did on the Hwy. to Kepuhi Beach.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very short one of the Kalaupapa Lookout Trail and the Restroom. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s Phallic Rock, this hike wasn’t bad but not near as easy as the Kalaupapa Lookout. The last 50 yards were pretty steep. At least it wasn’t rocky.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The best one for last, walking to and the Kalaupapa Lookout. It was beautiful.