• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Molokai Trip

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Jeff, are these units in a rental program? Or are they privately owned?

Also, I don't see any sand or beach area out front. Is it on a rise, and just can't be seen? The views seem really nice.

Dave

taffy19

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your property hunting with us, Jeff. Am still not done with all the video clips but will continue after dinner.

The oceanfront condo has a real nice view and looks lovely inside.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Jeff, are these units in a rental program? Or are they privately owned?

Also, I don't see any sand or beach area out front. Is it on a rise, and just can't be seen? The views seem really nice.

Dave

These are all privately owned but most were rented out. To rent them out they don't have a rental pool. You have to have someone on the island take care of that for you. That's how I got my rental this week for Molokai Shores. There are some people living in them full time and some are rented out to long term renters.

To cover all my costs I would have to rent out about 15 weeks a year. I don't need all the costs covered so it's really a bonus when it rents. Molokai Shores seems to rent better and for higher fees.

As for the shore at WaveCrest there is no sand. It's not a drop off you can step in there. It is a larger drop off in front of the A building. You can hear the water more at WaveCrest than here at Molokai Shores and I think I like that a little better. I haven't seen all the properties I want to see yet but my wife and I do have a favorite at WaveCrest. Any guesses?:)

Just to keep these in perspective, these properties have asking prices ranging from $129,000 to $179,000 and HOA's between $500 and $600.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Here’s the pool area for Molokai Shores. I forgot my key so I didn’t go in but you should see it pretty well. Molokai Shores definitely see’s more people but it shows a little more in the upkeep. Being close to town I’m sure is the biggest draw.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
These are all privately owned but most were rented out. To rent them out they don't have a rental pool. You have to have someone on the island take care of that for you. That's how I got my rental this week for Molokai Shores. There are some people living in them full time and some are rented out to long term renters.

To cover all my costs I would have to rent out about 15 weeks a year. I don't need all the costs covered so it's really a bonus when it rents. Molokai Shores seems to rent better and for higher fees.

So are you thinking of living there part time for now, and full time later? If you can rent enough to cover costs, I don't see a down side to that. I have a friend who bought a condo in Puerto Vallarta while on vacation one year. He had it in a rental pool, and visited a few weeks a year. Within about five years he was staying there more and more, and eventually he packed up and moved there. He lives there full time now. Lucky guy!

As for the shore at WaveCrest there is no sand. It's not a drop off you can step in there. It is a larger drop off in front of the A building. You can hear the water more at WaveCrest than here at Molokai Shores and I think I like that a little better. I haven't seen all the properties I want to see yet but my wife and I do have a favorite at WaveCrest. Any guesses?:)

I'm guessing the end unit with washer and dryer? If not, then the one with the great ocean view.

Just to keep these in perspective, these properties have asking prices ranging from $129,000 to $179,000 and HOA's between $500 and $600.

Those prices don't seem too high, especially for Hawaii. Add in the solar, and your monthly costs will be lower. Win-win!

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So are you thinking of living there part time for now, and full time later? If you can rent enough to cover costs, I don't see a down side to that. I have a friend who bought a condo in Puerto Vallarta while on vacation one year. He had it in a rental pool, and visited a few weeks a year. Within about five years he was staying there more and more, and eventually he packed up and moved there. He lives there full time now. Lucky guy!

I'm guessing the end unit with washer and dryer? If not, then the one with the great ocean view.

Those prices don't seem too high, especially for Hawaii. Add in the solar, and your monthly costs will be lower. Win-win!

Dave

I haven’t seen the one with the washer and dryer yet. Actually it is allowed to be put in the unit on that one. We would have to install the hookups and get the appliances. There was one property video that had the hookups and used to have a washer and dryer in there but the association made them take it out because of ventilation issues. It was strange that everything was still in there but the appliances.

The oceanfront one is a very close second. I was surprised that the oceanfront one wasn’t the most expensive.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Funny story from the short plane ride to Moloka’i from Oahu. We were all getting to our seats and I was sitting next to a young girl who was going home from a vacation on Colorado. While we were talking an older couple walked by and sat In front of us. I had a Green Bay Packer shirt on and the guys says Lambeau Field, I’ve been there. I said I have too and it’s great. Then he started talking about the bad weather we have in Wisconsin. After that the flight attendant went by and was having trouble getting a bag in the over head and I helped her out and returned to my seat.

Just then the older guy asked if he could move to an open seat. She said no because of weight distribution and he started grumbling and give her a hard time. She stood firm and walked away helping other passengers. While she walked by him again he must have had his foot out in the aisle and she almost fell. She looked back and gave him major stink eye.

We’ll later as we were getting closer to take off. She told some people in the back that they could move to some open seats in the front. Well of course the older guy didn’t like that and asked her a couple more questions. After she told him no he couldn’t move, she comes to me and winks and asks me if I would be more comfortable in the row behind me that was totally open. I thanked her and moved and I can see the old guy in front of me grumbling more. It was funny.

Because I now had access to the window I took a few pictures. The best part was right as we were going by DiamondHead the pilot banked so I got a great shot.

585459D6-4B98-435B-86F3-885A1EA2601C.jpeg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The oceanfront one is a very close second. I was surprised that the oceanfront one wasn’t the most expensive.

My second choice would be the one with all the upgrades. Those were very nice.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My second choice would be the one with all the upgrades. Those were very nice.

Dave

I’ll hold off a little before I answer.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
After she told him no he couldn’t move, she comes to me and winks and asks me if I would be more comfortable in the row behind me that was totally open. I thanked her and moved and I can see the d guy in front of me grumbling more. It was funny.

I knew a guy who was a flight attendant in Hawaii. He said if a passenger gave him a hard time on the flight, at the end when they came down the aisle with a trash bag to collect empty cups and such, he'd hold it out ask the nice people, "Your trash?" inviting them to drop their disposable items in the bag. When he came to a rude passenger, he'd hold out the bag and say, "You're trash!" Attitude is everything. :)

Because I now had access to the window I took a few pictures. The best part was right as we were going by DiamondHead the pilot banked so I got a great shot.

That's a great shot!

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I knew a guy who was a flight attendant in Hawaii. He said if a passenger gave him a hard time on the flight, at the end when they came down the aisle with a trash bag to collect empty cups and such, he'd hold it out ask the nice people, "Your trash?" inviting them to drop their dispoable items in the bag. When he came to a rude passenger, he'd hold out the bag and say, "You're trash!" Attitude is everything. :)

That's a great shot!

Dave

I was actually stretching to get a good shot and I couldn’t but just then like I asked the pilot to bank, he just banked and stayed there so I got a great picture. I even got the propellers in there. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So are you thinking of living there part time for now, and full time later?

Sorry Dave, I didn’t answer this one. Right now I would rent it while I’m still working. I would stay there whenever I would be able to go. Seven years is my max for work. I could go earlier but healthcare costs would make it harder retiring any less than four more years. But things are changing all the time so of course we have to keep an eye on everything. Unfortunately, things change for the worse too. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sleeper in a little after a long day. I have to go in and pay for my rental car and then I think I’ll Have some lunch in Kaunakakai somewhere. Then I want to check out the other grocery store. After that, I’m going back to the east side toward WaveCrest. I will stop there again and walk the grounds by myself. I want to check out Murphy’s Beach a couple miles past WaveCrest. It’s supposed to be a great sandy protected beach that’s good for swimming and snorkeling.

So be ready for east side of the island pictures and video. Tomorrow will be the west side, where the Timeshare Ke Nani Kai is.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Sleeper in a little after a long day. I have to go in and pay for my rental car and then I think I’ll Have some lunch in Kaunakakai somewhere. Then I want to check out the other grocery store. After that, I’m going back to the east side toward WaveCrest. I will stop there again and walk the grounds by myself. I want to check out Murphy’s Beach a couple miles past WaveCrest. It’s supposed to be a great sandy protected beach that’s good for swimming and snorkeling.

So be ready for east side of the island pictures and video. Tomorrow will be the west side, where the Timeshare Ke Nani Kai is.
I'll be interested in hearing about the Ke Nani Kai area is doing. When we stayed there the Molokai Ranch was still open and there was a small grocery store, and restaurant there. Since it's closed down it's got to be a long drive each time you need to get to food.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll be interested in hearing about the Ke Nani Kai area is doing. When we stayed there the Molokai Ranch was still open and there was a small grocery store, and restaurant there. Since it's closed down it's got to be a long drive each time you need to get to food.

Yes, I’m sure that was a big change. I know there are a couple places to eat over there. I don’t know about grocery. I’ll be going over there tomorrow. The beaches are great over there. I know the golf course is really overgrown.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Is everything you are looking at fee simple or are there lease hold properties?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fee simple, the leaseholds don’t go far enough out to work for us.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Fee simple, the leaseholds don’t go far enough out to work for us.

I think would prefer to own the land anyway. I am not good enough at math to figure out what a lease hold property is worth.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think would prefer to own the land anyway. I am not good enough at math to figure out what a lease hold property is worth.

Fee simple is ideal but we would have definitely considered a Leasehold at the right price and expiration date.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yes, I’m sure that was a big change. I know there are a couple places to eat over there. I don’t know about grocery. I’ll be going over there tomorrow. The beaches are great over there. I know the golf course is really overgrown.
I wonder if those places to eat are new since the Molokai Ranch closed down. As I recall there was one tiny little store type place in the development where Ke Nani Kai is, but no restaurants. I don't remember if the golf course was even open at that point.

The beach that was closest to there was beautiful, but when we tried to go it was windy to the point we were getting battered by sand, so didn't stay long. We ended up using the pool a lot more than we normally do when we're in Hawaii.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wonder if those places to eat are new since the Molokai Ranch closed down. As I recall there was one tiny little store type place in the development where Ke Nani Kai is, but no restaurants. I don't remember if the golf course was even open at that point.

The beach that was closest to there was beautiful, but when we tried to go it was windy to the point we were getting battered by sand, so didn't stay long. We ended up using the pool a lot more than we normally do when we're in Hawaii.

I believe there are two or three places to eat in the west side. I don’t think they are close to each other but I will find out more tomorrow.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s some videos from today. When to the east side back to WaveCrest. The first time I drove it and it too 17 minutes from Moloka’i Shores. That’s about the same I drive into town from my rural subdivision now.

I don’t know the name of this beach yet, I’ll have to look it up on a map.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I must really be good at off-roading because somehow this one came out sideways. You’ll have to turn your head. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is the actual beach area.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I goofed up my order here. This one should have been before I started with Murphy’s Beach. This is the actual beach I walked to after I parked the car two posts ago.