TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Min. 75 pt direct for Perks

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club - DVC' started by AnnaS, Feb 11, 2018.

1. AnnaS

AnnaS TUG Member

As of 2/25/2018, the minimum points direct needed for the perks has been changed to 75.

If anyone is on the fence, now is the time to purchase.

Jayco29D likes this.
  2. mj2vacation

mj2vacation Guest

Availability at the different resorts is very limited other than copper Creek.

3. Jayco29D

Jayco29D Guest

I bought 100 direct Grand Floridian points, 30 direct Poly points and 40 direct Animal Kingdom points at the end of the year before DVC started making all these changes. I also have resale points at Aulani and Grand Cal. I am happy I bought direct when I did. It seems like now what I bought direct would not be an option due to lack of availability and the small contract sizes. Plus the direct prices have gone up so much that the price I paid for direct points as well as resale points now seem cheap!

4. Caligirlfrtx

Caligirlfrtx Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION
    Can one buy their intital direct contract as low as 25?

5. chalee94

chalee94 TUG Member

not for copper creek.

but otherwise, yes - you just don't get the perks.

edited to add: as of January 2018, it looks like DVC changed the minimum for new members to 50 pts for some resorts like SSR and OKW, and 100 pts minimum for many other resorts.

http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  6. rhonda

rhonda TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades, WinPointVIP
    I've not heard of DVD (the Developer) selling a 25-point direct contract as a first entry to DVC. However, I have heard of 50-point contracts going through as first entry ... which still blows me away as the initial buy-in started at 230 (?) points when we first considered DVC. Our minimum buy-in was 150-points when we finally pulled the trigger early 2004.

Historically, the 25-point contracts were the minimum add-on contract sold to existing members willing to pay cash. A 50-point add-on minimum was required if you wished developer financing. However, minimums and how they are enforced has been moving target in recent years ... so I could be wrong.

The popular strategy employed since spring 2016 was 2-part play:
    • Buy your first DVC contract via Resale; no perks come with this contract. A resale contract could be as little as 25-points.
    • Buy a 25-point DVC contract direct as an add-on (same use-year but not necessarily same resort) to gain the perks. This was your least-expensive route to 'perk eligible.'

Caligirlfrtx likes this.
  7. Caligirlfrtx

Caligirlfrtx Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION
    Ok, I just called. Meant to buy last week when we were there but ran out of time. Min. Is 50. As the OP stated, nows the time to get Locked in before changes are implemented on the 25th. Uggg I hate to feel pressured but it was something we were considering anyway.

Jayco29D likes this.
  8. Southerngirl528

Southerngirl528 TUG Member

True until the 25th, with exception of Copper Creek. It's a 75 point minimum master contract there, even today. CCVC has a minimum of 50 point member add-on as well. I look for DVD to make this the standard going forward.

Caligirlfrtx likes this.
  9. Caligirlfrtx

Caligirlfrtx Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Correct

10. Caligirlfrtx

Caligirlfrtx Guest

Resorts Owned:
    You got a Grand Floridian direct? I thought they no longer sold GF? I would really love to own there :)

11. Dean

Dean TUG Member

All resorts are available direct from time to time but not consistently including VGF & VGC.

Caligirlfrtx likes this.
  12. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    I have a 90 point AKV contract brought BEFORE resale ownership was 'a tainted ownership'. Enough to do a decent stay every 3 years or less plus get a discount on the Annual Pass ... I can stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek but I have to admit to being totally spoiled with the DVC onsite bennies (EMH, bus transportation to the parks, free airport transfers).

Would I buy MORE DVC points? Not likely. I can get reservations in lower (when school is in session) seasons for a way bigger discounts via my VIP Wyndham membership. And when I retire, I won't need a rental car or free transfers from the airport.

13. Jayco29D

Jayco29D Guest

Yes and I got it within a week of asking. I did spend a lot of money at end of last year on 470 points with 6 contracts at 5 resorts (170 points direct and 300 points resale) so it gave me some clout with DVC, I think. I asked for 100 points and the best part was they sold me two contracts of 75 points and 25 points at Grand Floridian. Smaller contracts are worth more on the resale market, when/if I am ready to sell one day. Right now, Grand Floridian resale contracts are selling for as much as I paid for the two small direct contracts, due to recent price increases. I would advise that anyone thinking of buying do so before prices go up more. Disney and DVC are expanding and I expect prices for their new resorts will be even higher.