• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Medicinal Marijuana for back problems

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pot is pot to me, legal or not, medical or not. Before recreational use became law in CA, we used to see applicants declare they used it for headaches, menstral cramps etc. Good thing it is illegal at Federal level, leading attorneys clearly guided our industry on how to handle these applicants. I have always voted against recreational use. Some medical use is likely to be valid.

Last edited:

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wow this thread is likely to get political...but I hope it stays helpful. I can attest to using CBD oil on bedsores my husband got during short nursing home stays. Great results, but not sure if it would help back pain, which I also suffer. For natural MGMT of chronic back pain I rely on chiropractors and massage, and at home i use a Pollinex massager on the spasm area and follow up with a dab of Biofreeze..

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I've tried CBD Oil and would certainly try some of the new products coming out w/out THC. Topical pain relief? Yes, I'd try it!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When my wife and I were in our 20's we did enjoy a little pot now and then. Mostly for concerts, parties and movies like Star Wars. Then we had kids and really didn't have time to go to concerts, parties and the movies anymore. We slowly just stopped smoking weed because we really didn't have time.

Maybe 5 years ago my wife tore her rotator cuff and it wasn't repairable because of a past injury. The pain caused her to not be able to sleep. She didn't like vicodin so we ended up getting a perscription medicinal Indica strain which we smoked at night. This did allow her to fall asleep without pain.

Recently, marijuana manufactured as a prescription drug was approved by the FDA. I'm betting this is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg regarding pot turned prescription drug.

https://www.thecannabist.co/2018/06...prescription-drug-made-from-marijuana/104564/

Bill

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've tried CBD Oil and would certainly try some of the new products coming out w/out THC. Topical pain relief? Yes, I'd try it!
Does CBD Oil work for pain?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It seems to. I haven't needed to try it (thank goodness) but dh has friends who swear by it.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes, it does for many people. CBD oil has no THC and from what I read it does help many people with chronic pain. THC oil contains cbd and does relieve pain but does get a person high unless it is administered in a suppository where it bypasses the liver or is used as a topical cream.

Edibles made with rso or just plain rso on a toothpick ( Rick Simpson Oil ) is a fast acting pain relief that can be titrated until the right amount is figured out.

Bill

wyannuzzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbour ;

Marriott Grande Vista 3 bedroom EOY
When my wife and I were in our 20's we did enjoy a little pot now and then. Mostly for concerts, parties and movies like Star Wars. Then we had kids and really didn't have time to go to concerts, parties and the movies anymore. We slowly just stopped smoking weed because we really didn't have time.

Maybe 5 years ago my wife tore her rotator cuff and it wasn't repairable because of a past injury. The pain caused her to not be able to sleep. She didn't like vicodin so we ended up getting a perscription medicinal Indica strain which we smoked at night. This did allow her to fall asleep without pain.

Recently, marijuana manufactured as a prescription drug was approved by the FDA. I'm betting this is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg regarding pot turned prescription drug.

https://www.thecannabist.co/2018/06...prescription-drug-made-from-marijuana/104564/

Bill
“Which WE smoked at night”, did your wife’s unfortunate pain cause you sleepless nights also? :p:p Joking :)

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
“Which WE smoked at night”, did your wife’s unfortunate pain cause you sleepless nights also? :p:p Joking :)
Actually I'm sure it did. When your bed partner is tossing and turning you do usually lose a lot of sleep. This is what I found to be helpful with medical pot, not so much the direct pain relief because for me that was there but minor but it did put me to sleep when I used it at night and allowed me to sleep for longer stretches at night. This was a huge relief because the pain i had I could manage during the day but at night became unbearable and prevented me from falling sleep and I didn't want to get hooked on ambien or any other narcotic so tried the medical pot and it's truly been a huge help for me. And now my wife sleeps much better too.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

lol , Yes.

The main reason we both smoked the pot together for her pain is she doesn't like to get stoned alone. She enjoys company. It doesn't bother me either way.

I tried the rso for lower back pain and it put me to sleep for 12 hours. It was tar like, contained in a syringe, and the dose was a size the half of a grain of rice on a toothpic. With the rso I really didn't feel stoned but I did feel very sleepy. The rso was made with an indica hybrid, soaked in everclear and heated in a small batch on a stove in a water bath from what I was told.

I tried hydrocodone and it works for me but it gives me a itchy sensation after a few doses. My discs in my lower back are a bit worn out and occasionally it kind of locks up.

Bill

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I'm a little off topic, but I'm starting to think that the best thing for back problems is RETIREMENT.

My wife has long had back problems. She finally had to have back surgery in late 2016 because she was losing strength and sensation in one of her legs. Her back pain actually got worse after the surgery. The neurosurgeon predicted that the post-op back pain would persist for 12-18 months and then hopefully improve.

So she went to physical therapy. And she tried acupuncture. And she tried a back brace. And a TENS unit. She took anti-inflammatories. She tried sleeping with a variety of different pillows to take pressure off her back. She was off work on disability. Nothing relieved the back pain. (And no, she didn't try marijuana.)

Finally, a few months ago, she decided to retire. This was 16 months after the back surgery. Maybe it was just chance, but within a week after her retirement date, the back pain suddenly went away.

Retirement is a good thing.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I tore my meniscus last year, i have had surgery but still in some pain. I use a CBD cream that i get from one of my medical providers. I find that it really helps, the cream i use also has some traditional pain cream ingredients like Camphor and Menthol.

Hopefully after I finish the PT, I won't need that or the Aleve any longer...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sharing prescriptions is also a crime in most (all) states and at the federal level... No joke.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove

I thought the same thing when I saw the “we” lol. I’m in favor of use of medical marijuana and I would like to learn more about the CBD products. I have a bad back - herniated disk and two bulging discs and coincidentally I tweaked my back out today just bending forward slightly putting a coffee into the cup holder of my car. I wish I had something I could use as it will be a week till I can see the doctor (need approval, then MRI first). I’m guessing one of my other disks popped. It felt like a guitar string popped when it happened. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sharing prescriptions is also a crime in most (all) states and at the federal level... No joke.

Washington State legalized the use of medicinal marijuana in 1998 for people with terminal or debilitating conditions. Each qualified person was allowed a 60 day supply. I think most people voted for this because most people considered terminal or debilitating as very serious. It turned out that debilitating is is very subjective and just about anyone qualified for a prescription.

After being told by the orthopedic doctor that my wifes shoulder was not repairable she was prescribed opiates which she could only take with anti nausea medications. The orthopedic doctors plan was to keep my wife on pain meds and the thought was she could be on these for a long time.

The lower discs of my back are wedged shape to my left side and this causes alot of pain when it slips.

We decided to see the medical marijuana doctor as our family practitioner didn't prescribe marijuana. We went to a co-op facility in the Seattle area and we both paid $90 to see the co-op doctor. The doctor did ask us if the $90 was ok as I think he wanted to make sure that cost wasn't a factor to getting the prescription. The doctor did a quick physical and ask us questions. The co-op doctor wrote us both a prescription.

We both also received a discount card for the products at the co-op resale store. With the discount the cost of the products were very low. The co-op also had product that they gave away to new members. We ended up purchasing two ounces of different strains of weed for under $200 and we were also given over 1/2 ounce of product and some edibles to try.

We used the weed at night for about a month. The pot is very strong and took very little to have an effect on pain.

Currently in Washington, weed is legal. There are very clean stores all over the place. Unlike the co-op, the prices for product are much higher. There are still co-ops and practitioners who do help to get high quality weed to those in need at a low cost for those with prescriptions.

So we were both legal, lol, not that it would have mattered to me.

Bill

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Washington State legalized the use of medicinal marijuana in 1998 for people with terminal or debilitating conditions. Each qualified person was allowed a 60 day supply. I think most people voted for this because most people considered terminal or debilitating as very serious. It turned out that debilitating is is very subjective and just about anyone qualified for a prescription.

After being told by the orthopedic doctor that my wifes shoulder was not repairable she was prescribed opiates which she could only take with anti nausea medications. The orthopedic doctors plan was to keep my wife on pain meds and the thought was she could be on these for a long time.

The lower discs of my back are wedged shape to my left side and this causes alot of pain when it slips.

We decided to see the medical marijuana doctor as our family practitioner didn't prescribe marijuana. We went to a co-op facility in the Seattle area and we both paid $90 to see the co-op doctor. The doctor did ask us if the $90 was ok as I think he wanted to make sure that cost wasn't a factor to getting the prescription. The doctor did a quick physical and ask us questions. The co-op doctor wrote us both a prescription.

We both also received a discount card for the products at the co-op resale store. With the discount the cost of the products were very low. The co-op also had product that they gave away to new members. We ended up purchasing two ounces of different strains of weed for under $200 and we were also given over 1/2 ounce of product and some edibles to try.

We used the weed at night for about a month. The pot is very strong and took very little to have an effect on pain.

Currently in Washington, weed is legal. There are very clean stores all over the place. Unlike the co-op, the prices for product are much higher. There are still co-ops and practitioners who do help to get high quality weed to those in need at a low cost for those with prescriptions.

So we were both legal, lol, not that it would have mattered to me.

Bill

Bill you don’t need to explain yourself to anyone. I’m glad you found something that helps you both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I tore my meniscus last year, i have had surgery but still in some pain. I use a CBD cream that i get from one of my medical providers. I find that it really helps, the cream i use also has some traditional pain cream ingredients like Camphor and Menthol.

Hopefully after I finish the PT, I won't need that or the Aleve any longer...

Alieve was my main pain management tool for years. I was always pretty fit , ate right , didn't smoke , didn't drink much and exercised. It is thought that my use of Alieve interfered with my cholesterol meds . While exerting plaque broke loose and I had a heart attack but didn't know it.

The cardiologist told me to only use tylenol and only when I absolutely need to. I used Alieve daily up to 6 or more pills occasionally. Morning noon and night. When I started tossing these out I found bottles of Alieve every where. In the cars, truck, tool box, desk, fishing tackle, snowmobile, motorcycle , ect.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...ase-heart-attack-and-stroke-risk-201507138138

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm a little off topic, but I'm starting to think that the best thing for back problems is RETIREMENT.

Retirement is a good thing.

I agree. I recently retired but it seems I am more busy now than when I was working, lol.

Bill

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Alieve was my main pain management tool for years. I was always pretty fit , ate right , didn't smoke , didn't drink much and exercised. It is thought that my use of Alieve interfered with my cholesterol meds . While exerting plaque broke loose and I had a heart attack but didn't know it.

The cardiologist told me to only use tylenol and only when I absolutely need to. I used Alieve daily up to 6 or more pills occasionally. Morning noon and night. When I started tossing these out I found bottles of Alieve every where. In the cars, truck, tool box, desk, fishing tackle, snowmobile, motorcycle , ect.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...ase-heart-attack-and-stroke-risk-201507138138

Bill

Good to know, thanks for sharing. I have lower back pain on one side, I’ve had flare ups so bad that it inflamed sciatic nerve and had numbness in my right leg. Have trouble sleeping because I like to lay on right side. I use a vape indica product an hour before bed and it knocks me out, sleep like a baby. Who knew the party drug in my 20s would be my medicine in 60s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cozumel Duo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about homemade RSO salves is smelling like a pot farm on fire. I have never appreciated smoking the stuff. Otherwise, it works well to take the edge off my 20+ years of pain.

I broke a lumbar vertebra that didn't show up on x-rays, CTs, or an MRI. Walked around with it unstable for over 2 years. Ended up being fused when I was opened up and they got a look see. Since then, I've had all kinds of surgical procedures for various body/joint parts. Have since been DX'd with psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia. Needless to say, I know pain well and can commiserate with those who have any type of pain. I don't begrudge anyone any type of relief. Quality of life is really an issue in all this.

I don't care to take opiates, but need to on occasion. It's hard to get them prescribed though. The govt has Drs so paranoid it is ridiculous. I build up a tolerance quickly to meds, so I change off on meditation, CDB/RSO salve, TENS, etc.. I also know that what works for one may not work for another.

Interesting topic.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The only thing I don't like about homemade RSO salves is smelling like a pot farm on fire. I have never appreciated smoking the stuff. Otherwise, it works well to take the edge off my 20+ years of pain.

I broke a lumbar vertebra that didn't show up on x-rays, CTs, or an MRI. Walked around with it unstable for over 2 years. Ended up being fused when I was opened up and they got a look see. Since then, I've had all kinds of surgical procedures for various body/joint parts. Have since been DX'd with psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia. Needless to say, I know pain well and can commiserate with those who have any type of pain. I don't begrudge anyone any type of relief. Quality of life is really an issue in all this.

I don't care to take opiates, but need to on occasion. It's hard to get them prescribed though. The govt has Drs so paranoid it is ridiculous. I build up a tolerance quickly to meds, so I change off on meditation, CDB/RSO salve, TENS, etc.. I also know that what works for one may not work for another.

Interesting topic.

You sound like me. I really don't like the smell or taste of green bud. The rso cream we get is a combo of ingredients so the smell isn't a problem. Vaping kind of solves most of the smell problem, especially if rso is vaped.

Our doctors still prescribe opiates for pain but we have been with the same medical group for 35+ years. I use a couple of tens and an inversion table occasionally depending on where the pain is.

In the last 3 years I think the worst pain was at the golf course teeing off. I think I was trying to kill the ball and twisted too much.

Bill