• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Medicare Part A? B? D? HSA? What the?

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
... ...

There is no open enrollment for Medigap- the Medicare rep. told me that today. It's a one time deal. BUT- there is for other supplemental plans.

This, this, this. Medigap has NO open enrollment. Plan D does and we review DH's meds each year at this time and chose the cheapest Plan D available. Advantage plans...I don't know.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This, this, this. Medigap has NO open enrollment. Plan D does and we review DH's meds each year at this time and chose the cheapest Plan D available. Advantage plans...I don't know.
Maybe because Open Enrollment and my birth month are the same that is why I think I'm being limited to changing carriers during open enrollment. All I know is, I couldn't see any options until October.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
To be honest I'm not sure what they call it. Let me look it up. Okay, it's an HRA.

I believe you when you say you've been told there is no open enrollment for Medigap. But again, I wasn't able to see (on the employee benefit website) what plans were available to me until open enrollment started. When I would go in and enter all of my information I kept getting a screen that said no plans were found. When I called, I was told that in October I would be able to see the plans, and I was able to do so and to select a new plan.

Maybe we are talking different things. When you say open enrollment for Medigap, what do you mean? I'm really confused when you say it's a one time deal.

The Medicare rep told me that Medigap is like a supplemental plan but it is a one time enrollment only thing. If you don't enroll initially in it you can never get into it again- unless with restrictions and so on and depending on your state. BUT- I believe he is wrong based on what I have read looking into it further tonight.

From what I see- supplements and Medigap are the same thing. https://medicare.com/medicare-supplement/whats-difference-medicare-supplement-plans-medigap-plans/

Supplements and Advantage plans are both sold by private insurers.

BTW- Here is some info. regarding the difference between and HSA and an HRA. So with an HRA- only the employer can contribute to it.
https://fitsmallbusiness.com/hra-vs-hsa/

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I read somewhere (TUG?) that becuz Plan F premiums are derived from age-groups, premiums for a particular group should not change much due to the absence of new, lower-age subscribers. Dunno if that's true, but I like the sound of it...

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The Medicare rep told me that Medigap is like a supplemental plan but it is a one time enrollment only thing. If you don't enroll initially in it you can never get into it again- unless with restrictions and so on and depending on your state. BUT- I believe he is wrong based on what I have read looking into it further tonight.

From what I see- supplements and Medigap are the same thing. https://medicare.com/medicare-supplement/whats-difference-medicare-supplement-plans-medigap-plans/

Supplements and Advantage plans are both sold by private insurers.

BTW- Here is some info. regarding the difference between and HSA and an HRA. So with an HRA- only the employer can contribute to it.
https://fitsmallbusiness.com/hra-vs-hsa/
I always thought supplemental plans and Medigap plans were the same thing, just two different names.

Thanks for the additional info on HSA/HRA. While I was working I had an HSA that I contributed to. When I retired I was 62, so not eligible for Medicare. My employer continued to cover me medically, but when I turned 65 I felt like I'd been cut adrift. Here I was on Medicare, paying both the Part B and a Medicare supplemental plan. Luckily I accidentally discovered the HRA soon into my retirement. I know at any time that could go away, for instance they are changing the requirements for next year, but it's been nice for the years it's been available.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I always thought supplemental plans and Medigap plans were the same thing, just two different names.

Thanks for the additional info on HSA/HRA. While I was working I had an HSA that I contributed to. When I retired I was 62, so not eligible for Medicare. My employer continued to cover me medically, but when I turned 65 I felt like I'd been cut adrift. Here I was on Medicare, paying both the Part B and a Medicare supplemental plan. Luckily I accidentally discovered the HRA soon into my retirement. I know at any time that could go away, for instance they are changing the requirements for next year, but it's been nice for the years it's been available.

Yes. I always thought they were the same and evidently they are the the Medicare rep. was wrong. Which is why I always research and analyze and question everything.

Why the heck does it all have to be so complicated?! Ugh!

As for the HRA- well at $60 per month from my husband's employer- better than nothing I guess. LOL!

His HSA has been great, but if he applies for Part A than he will not be contributing next year. Not worth it just for Jan, Feb and March. Even if he doesn't apply, he could contribute until Oct. of next year- but- what if he gets laid off before then for example? Then he will have to apply for Medicare and he will be penalized for contributing. So- the heck with it. It's too much of a hassle anymore. We can keep that money- use it for his 401k and /or just a plain ol' savings account. Not as good a tax advantage, but simple.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
All of this is just confusing me more. :confused:

I'm understanding the "one time" open enrollment for a Medicare supplement plan, which may occur when you turn 65.

But what I'm still struggling with is if you want to change plans, or carriers. Can that be done at any time? Once a year? Does it depend on who you are getting the plans from?

I believe you have to do it during open enrollment. But I am wet behind the ears with all this. Lord knows what it will be like in a few years when I have to apply!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have a friend who is on an Advantage plan and she told me she was thinking of switching to a supplement plan during open enrollment.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I believe you have to do it during open enrollment. But I am wet behind the ears with all this. Lord knows what it will be like in a few years when I have to apply!
I just keep going back to my, and my dh's experience. He didn't sign up for Part B, or a supplemental plan until I retired since he was still covered under my insurance. He went with a plan through AARP, but changed carriers last year. I "think" I remember that he did it during the open enrollment period, but it's possible he could have done it at any time. He kept Plan F, just changed carriers.

I retired at 62, signed up for Part B and a supplemental plan when I turned 65. I looked into changing carriers last year, but decided not to. Again this was during open enrollment period. This year I am going to change carriers, sticking with Plan F. Since I couldn't see any plan options on my employer's retiree benefits website until October, I figured I was limited to making he change until open enrollment period. But it could also be I was limited to making a change until my birth month (which is October).

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I just keep going back to my, and my dh's experience. He didn't sign up for Part B, or a supplemental plan until I retired since he was still covered under my insurance. He went with a plan through AARP, but changed carriers last year. I "think" I remember that he did it during the open enrollment period, but it's possible he could have done it at any time. He kept Plan F, just changed carriers.

I retired at 62, signed up for Part B and a supplemental plan when I turned 65. I looked into changing carriers last year, but decided not to. Again this was during open enrollment period. This year I am going to change carriers, sticking with Plan F. Since I couldn't see any plan options on my employer's retiree benefits website until October, I figured I was limited to making he change until open enrollment period. But it could also be I was limited to making a change until my birth month (which is October).

I hear ya. I really don't know for sure, but I still think it is open enrollment that counts- but it doesn't matter either way in your case since it is your birthday month you don't have to worry about it.

Here is something else I found.

https://www.ehealthmedicare.com/med...changing-medicare-supplement-insurance-plans/

And....

https://www.medicaresupplement.com/articles/can-i-change-my-medicare-supplement-plan/

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I can't read anymore. It just keeps confusing me more! :eek: :confused: :shrug:

I get it. I am at that point also. I am going to call my friend one of these days very soon and pick her brain because she is going through it. She worked with insurance at a rehab. center and is very knowledgeable.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
https://www.medicareresources.org/states/. This site provides add'l info on state rules wrt to 'guaranteed issue.' I don't know how accurate the info is as I simply did a search on birthday month states. The only birthday month states appear to be CA and OR. NY & CT (?) provide for guaranteed issue any time of year. Other states may provide other rules overriding federal requirements. You really need to do lots and lots of research prior to signing up for Medicare and it's supplemental policies. You may be unpleasantly surprised when you want to make changes and can not because of medical underwriting requirements.

Ingrid

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I get it. I am at that point also. I am going to call my friend one of these days very soon and pick her brain because she is going through it. She worked with insurance at a rehab. center and is very knowledgeable.
Before I turned 65 both dh and I met with our State Farm Insurance rep. He had sent me a letter stating he was available. He went through everything with us. It was very helpful. Although I'm sure he would have liked it if I'd purchased my supplemental plan through him, he seemed fine that I didn't. The best piece of advice I received, from my sister and from a friend, was if you are going to get one of the supplemental plans, just go for the cheapest. They're all the same, Plan F from company A is going to be the same as Plan F from company B. I wasn't interested in a Medicare Advantage Plan, although some people love them, and in some cases there is no monthly premium. Since I didn't want one I didn't look into them so I don't know exactly how they work.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the first 2 years, i.e. 65 to 67 yo, Medicare Supplemental Plans are legally not allowed to reject an applicant. If you miss this window and decide to apply for a Supplemental Plan later, they can then screen the applicant for health conditions and they are allowed to reject an applicant, or accept the applicant at Tier 1 (lowest rates), Tier 2 or Tier 3 rates. We did not know about this law and when we moved out of California, we decided to apply for Plan F for him and since it was outside of the first 2-year window, they requested for prior medical records and they accepted him at Tier 2. It was almost double Tier 1 rates and we passed on that. He is now on a Medicare Advantage PPO plan and it is wonderful. Every doctor that he wants to see accepts his insurance. His co-pay and max OOP is quite low. His Medicare Advantage PPO monthly premium is $96. The Medicare Advantage PPO plan also includes Drugs, which is another savings over buying a Medicare Supplement Plan as with the latter you need to additionally buy a Drug Plan which costs a little under $100 per month.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Also, the Medicare Advantage PPO plan includes Drugs, which is another savings over buying a Medicare Supplement Plan as you need to additionally buy a Drug Plan which costs a little under $100 per month.

I am paying $20.50/month for my Part D prescription plan.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am paying $20.50/month for my Part D prescription plan.
Maybe my memory is flawed, I thought it was more expensive than that. We dropped my husband's Part D prescription plan immediately on hearing that he would be placed under Tier 2.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the comments regarding Plan F indicate that many of those posting her have it and like it. I do too but I have what is called the "High Deductible" Plan F. With it I am required to pay the first (something like) $1,800 of claims Plan F would otherwise cover. That's the downside of it. The upside is that my premium is a whole lot less than that for Regular Plan F. It is very cost effective for those like me who don't have a lot of medical bills...

George

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... I have what is called the "High Deductible" Plan F. With it I am required to pay the first (something like) $1,800 of claims Plan F would otherwise cover. That's the downside of it. The upside is that my premium is a whole lot less than that for Regular Plan F. It is very cost effective for those like me who don't have a lot of medical bills...

For my DW (and a local hospital), Plan F has been very cost effective.
She was hospitalized for 3 days this year with pneumonia.
A few years ago, she was hospitalized for 3 days with a TIA.

Last edited:

uop1497

Reaction score
I just come in to read to understand how medicare and other program works. My DH has a few years more to reach the age to qualify for medicare.

The more I read and try to learn, the more I get confused. However, I wonder by the time I reach 65 what type of benefit medicare offered at that time. Somehow I have a feeling, I will end up to pay more for all the program related to medicare compared whoever qualify for medicare this year or next year.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just come in to read to understand how medicare and other program works. My DH has a few years more to reach the age to qualify for medicare.

The more I read and try to learn, the more I get confused. However, I wonder by the time I reach 65 what type of benefit medicare offered at that time. Somehow I have a feeling, I will end up to pay more for all the program related to medicare compared whoever qualify for medicare this year or next year.
The premium for Medicare does increase through time and it applies to everyone. If your household income is high, it is also subject to IRMAA, which means even higher premium.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of this is just confusing me more. :confused:

I'm understanding the "one time" open enrollment for a Medicare supplement plan, which may occur when you turn 65.

But what I'm still struggling with is if you want to change plans, or carriers. Can that be done at any time? Once a year? Does it depend on who you are getting the plans from?

To confuse you a little more, a person on SSDI below age 65 may also get a Medicare Supplemental Plan, or not. If they choose an Advantage plan instead, they can switch to Medicare Supplemental Plans when they get to the age of regular qualification just as if they were first signing up. There are advantages to both types of plans.

DW had a drug plan for a while due to very expensive medicines and high co-payments on a typical Advantage plan, they didn't cover the gap very well. We found it far cheaper for her to get an expensive drug plan, $130 or something like that per month, but that covered all medicines including the gap. She never ever paid more than $1 for any drug. It was simply too expensive on any other all inclusive Aadvantage plan offered here.

Overall though, Medicare in any form (perhaps other than basic Medicare only) is much cheaper than buying your own health insurance. At least in our experience.