• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Medicare Part A? B? D? HSA? What the?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You have an expensive gym. Mine is about $300 a year if paid upfront. Includes a pool, weight rooms and classes. I see people who are members using their Silver Sneakers card.
Price is relative. My gym is more than that, BUT it's close and convenient and I go regularly. If I tried to go to one of the less expensive chain gyms that is farther away most likely I wouldn't go.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Part A is not free - it costs $134 per month (they take it out of your SS check) and becomes your Primary insurance. D is for drugs and is not included in A at all. (If you put this one off, there is a penalty for each year you do not have it. Neither of us take prescription drugs, but if we had waited until we do, we would have had penalties and paid much higher premiums.) B is our Supplemental insurance and we chose Plan F when the large corporation we worked for 30 years decided that they would no longer pay for 1/2 the medical insurance for retirees because of the new healthcare laws implemented in 2012. Plan F was better and less expensive than what we had paid for the high option plan offered by our company. We have no deductible and no co-pay and can choose any doctor that accepts Medicare. I understand that in 2020, we will need to choose Plan G for close to similar coverage.
Hi Pittle,

Part A is free. What you are describing is Part B which for you is $134/month and is deducted from your monthly Social Security.

Richard

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
boomerbenefits.com, a Medicare insurance broker, gets high marks. I will be working with them in the next few months when I become Medicare eligible. I am also interested in dental insurance as we've been paying ~4K+/yr for DH and will most likely continue at that rate or worse. DH currently has original Medicare with AARP's UHC and we are very happy with them. They also offer Silver Sneakers, which, when I'm on Medicare will save us $1.5K per year in gym membership costs. Other insurers also offer SS. Lots of info our there. Also, depending on your state, you may not be able to change Medigap insurers w/o medical underwriting once you make your decision. Some states including ours allow once a year changes to Medigap plans of equal or lesser coverage around the birthday month. If your state does not allow changes, make sure you are happy with your decision. There is no 'open enrollment' with Medigap plans, only with Plan D Rx which can be changed each year.

Again, some of the above may not apply to Advantage plans.
Interesting you say there is no open enrollment with Medigap plans. I am opting to change carriers for my Plan F for next year. Reason is if I go through the company that manages retiree healthcare for the company I worked for, they will give me a Health Savings Account of $2600, which will offset my premiums, plus more. They used to do this if you got prescription and eye care through them, but they have reduced the amount to $500/year unless you get a medicare supplement or medicare advantage plan through them. My premium will be slightly more than what I pay now, but the $2600 will more than make up for it.

Anyway, I was not even able to see what plans were available until open enrollment period. So I don't think there was any way I could have changed plans before then.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Part A is not free - it costs $134 per month (they take it out of your SS check) and becomes your Primary insurance. D is for drugs and is not included in A at all. (If you put this one off, there is a penalty for each year you do not have it. Neither of us take prescription drugs, but if we had waited until we do, we would have had penalties and paid much higher premiums.) B is our Supplemental insurance and we chose Plan F when the large corporation we worked for 30 years decided that they would no longer pay for 1/2 the medical insurance for retirees because of the new healthcare laws implemented in 2012. Plan F was better and less expensive than what we had paid for the high option plan offered by our company. We have no deductible and no co-pay and can choose any doctor that accepts Medicare. I understand that in 2020, we will need to choose Plan G for close to similar coverage.

We just went through a benefit meeting at work, and we were told that if your still working and your employer has more than 20 employees you can choose not to take Part A. Our company only charges $95 a month for family coverage, so I would not want to pay more then I would have to... I have a HSA plan and love contributing to it...I did not know that you have to stop contributing to your HSA 7 months before you go on medicare....ugh so much to learn and I still have 8 years till I qualify for medicare....

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We just went through a benefit meeting at work, and we were told that if your still working and your employer has more than 20 employees you can choose not to take Part A. Our company only charges $95 a month for family coverage, so I would not want to pay more then I would have to... I have a HSA plan and love contributing to it...I did not know that you have to stop contributing to your HSA 7 months before you go on medicare....ugh so much to learn and I still have 8 years till I qualify for medicare....
Whoa! That's not even close to anything I've ever been told or read. The way I understand it is, you HAVE to sign up for Part A when you are eligible. If you are still employed (or your spouse is still employed and receives medical) you don't have to sign up for Part B.

In doing some investigating it looks like the wording is that you "can" sign up for Part A, but it doesn't look like you have to. But, since it doesn't cost anything I think most people go ahead and sign up when eligible.

https://www.medicare.gov/index.php/...how-do-i-get-parts-a-b/should-i-get-parts-a-b

When dh reached 65 he signed up for Part A. We were both still working and we were both covered under my employer. Nothing happened to my premiums because of him.

I also found out after I retired that my company provided me with an HSA plan that I pay nothing into and get $2600/year, with dh getting $1600/year as long as we go through the company retiree benefits group to get our medicare, eyecare and prescription. It used to just be we got that much with just getting prescription and/or eyecare, but they are changing it for the coming year.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Bottom line is, you HAVE to sign up for Part A when eligible. If still working you can wait on Part B.

I called Medicare and got through this evening, And, just as I had read, you do not have to sign up for Part A if you are not on SS and are covered by an employer group plan.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Correct. That is the monthly premium for Medicare. It is independent as to whether you start SS or not. If you start SS, then that monthly premium is deducted directly from your SS, otherwise it is from your bank account.

Just to be clear-It is actually for Part B Medicare. Part A is free.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
All I know, I read on TUG, and that's that you MUST sign up for Medicare when you turn 65 or face penalties henceforth.

No- not if you are covered by an employer plan and not on SS.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I called Medicare and got through this evening, And, just as I had read, you do not have to sign up for Part A if you are not on SS and are covered by an employer group plan.
Thanks. As I finally found out by checking the Medicare.gov website you are correct. You do NOT have to sign up for Part A, as long as your company has more than 20 employees and you are covered by a group plan.

It's always best to go to the source.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Part A of Medicare is automatic when you turn 65 and does not have a premium.

Since Medicare does not discriminate for pre existing conditions, there are penalties if you wait to enroll (like until you get sick). However, if you have "creditable" healthcare between the time you turn 65 and when you start Medicare the penalty is waived. Insurance from you or your spouse's employer is an example of "creditable" insurance.

If you wait to enroll and don't have creditable insurance for that time you will pay a higher Medicare premium for the rest of your life.

Right, BUT-It is not automatic if you are not taking SS yet. You would have to enroll via SS on your own if you want Medicare Part A (and B)- which you would if you have no health coverage through an employer. You have 3 months before your 65th birthday, the month of your birthday and 3 months after your birthday to enroll.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

No- that $134 premium is for Part B. Part A is free (though it has a deductible when it is used). Medicare is not your primary insurance if your employer has over 20 employees I think it is. It is secondary if you work a small employer. Supplemental insurance is not Part B.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Original Medicare: Part A covers hospitalization and is free. Part B is doctor and base costs is $134/mo.; depending on income, you might be subject to IRMAA and pay more. Part D is Rx. If you have NO OTHER coverage and don't sign up at 65, you will incur a penalty forever and ever. If you have other coverage, no penalty, but will need to prove you had other coverage.

Advantage programs are somewhat different and I'm not that familiar with them.

You are getting a lot of wrong information in this thread. Go to Medicare.gov and read up. Or go to ER.org (early retirement forum). They have some great threads on everything you wanted to know about Medicare.

Ingrid

Yes- I see that! I recognize the misinformation.

LOL! I am also on the ER forum. And I have downloaded some info. from Medicare. org and even called them this evening. Though- I still have questions.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think you are wrong. From what I've heard (and don't quote me) is that at some point plan F for NEW subscribers will be going away. If you currently have Plan F you can keep it, and I think you can even change carriers.

Both dh and I have Plan F and use different companies for our supplemental plan. We also have Plan D. We are keeping Plan F and D. I am in the process of changing carriers this year and dh will probably do so as well.

From information found online at medicare.com. Here is link to entire article:

https://medicare.com/medicare-supplement/is-medicare-supplement-plan-f-going-away/

Is Medicare Supplement Plan F being discontinued?
The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA) passed by Congress and signed into law on April 16, 2015 changed the law on various aspects of health care, including some Medicare Supplement plans. The new law states that on or after January 1, 2020, a Medicare Supplement policy that provides coverage of the Part B deductible may not be sold or issued to a newly eligible Medicare beneficiary. You can read more here. That means that people whose birthday is December 31, 1954 (turning 65 on December 31, 2019) may be the last group able to enroll in Medicare Supplement Plan F. After January 1, 2020, you will not be able to enroll in Medicare Supplement Plan C, one of the closest alternatives to Plan F, either, since it also covers the Part B deductible. If you already have Plan F, you can keep it. The law only affects new enrollees.

I did read somewhere that Plan F will eventually become more expensive since it is closed to new and younger enrollees and the current insureds will start to age out, driving up costs.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I did read somewhere that Plan F will eventually become more expensive since it is closed to new and younger enrollees and the current insureds will start to age out, driving up costs.
As someone else already said, we'll wait and see what happens. If it does become cost prohibitive we'll switch.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
boomerbenefits.com, a Medicare insurance broker, gets high marks. I will be working with them in the next few months when I become Medicare eligible. I am also interested in dental insurance as we've been paying ~4K+/yr for DH and will most likely continue at that rate or worse. DH currently has original Medicare with AARP's UHC and we are very happy with them. They also offer Silver Sneakers, which, when I'm on Medicare will save us $1.5K per year in gym membership costs. Other insurers also offer SS. Lots of info our there. Also, depending on your state, you may not be able to change Medigap insurers w/o medical underwriting once you make your decision. Some states including ours allow once a year changes to Medigap plans of equal or lesser coverage around the birthday month. If your state does not allow changes, make sure you are happy with your decision. There is no 'open enrollment' with Medigap plans, only with Plan D Rx which can be changed each year.

Again, some of the above may not apply to Advantage plans.

But you can change with other supplement plans during open enrollment from what I understand, or from an Advnatge plan to a supplement plan.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You have an expensive gym. Mine is about $300 a year if paid upfront. Includes a pool, weight rooms and classes. I see people who are members using their Silver Sneakers card.

Mine is really cheap- in my house (bike, weight bench and gazelle, floor mat) and outside on the road (for walking). Don't have a pool, though, and I would love one.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Right. But remember- Part A is premium free and if you have a high deductible plan at work- which you do- then Part A might pick up what your employer plan does not-as secondary- though Part A does also have a deductible.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Interesting you say there is no open enrollment with Medigap plans. I am opting to change carriers for my Plan F for next year. Reason is if I go through the company that manages retiree healthcare for the company I worked for, they will give me a Health Savings Account of $2600, which will offset my premiums, plus more. They used to do this if you got prescription and eye care through them, but they have reduced the amount to $500/year unless you get a medicare supplement or medicare advantage plan through them. My premium will be slightly more than what I pay now, but the $2600 will more than make up for it.

Anyway, I was not even able to see what plans were available until open enrollment period. So I don't think there was any way I could have changed plans before then.

There is no on-going 'open enrollment' per se with Medigap plans allowing one to chose another plan w/o medical underwriting. The 'open enrollments' related to Medigap are either Plan or State specific. As I mentioned in an earlier post, in my state, you can change your Medigap coverage w/o underwriting during (and month before and month after) your birthday month as long as you chose a like or lesser plan. Hence, we have 'open enrollment' of a type during a certain month each year. Otherwise, you have to go through underwriting, which I would guess most people would not want to do. DH and I certainly wouldn't qualify if having to go through underwriting.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
There is no on-going 'open enrollment' per se with Medigap plans allowing one to chose another plan w/o medical underwriting. The 'open enrollments' related to Medigap are either Plan or State specific. As I mentioned in an earlier post, in my state, you can change your Medigap coverage w/o underwriting during (and month before and month after) your birthday month as long as you chose a like or lesser plan. Hence, we have 'open enrollment' of a type during a certain month each year. Otherwise, you have to go through underwriting, which I would guess most people would not want to do. DH and I certainly wouldn't qualify if having to go through underwriting.
I can only go by my own experience. I decided to change Medigap (medicare supplement plan) providers, not plans. I couldn't get any information on the plans available to be through my employer's retiree benefit site until open enrollment started (which also happens to be the month of my birth).

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Are you sure that is an HSA and not an HRA? My husband's company has the same- VIA Benefits that manages retiree healthcare- and I was told when the time comes that he retires and also when I am 65 and on Medicare-they have an HRA where his employer will put in $60 (woo! woo!) per month for each of us and we can use it for medical expenses. I assume we can also put money into it, but not sure and neither was the rep. (smh)

There is no open enrollment for Medigap- the Medicare rep. told me that today. It's a one time deal. BUT- there is for other supplemental plans.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Are you sure that is an HSA and not an HRA? My husband's company has the same- VIA Benefits that manages retiree healthcare- and I was told when the time comes that he retires and also when I am 65 and on Medicare-they have an HRA where his employer will put in $60 (woo! woo!) per month for each of us and we can use it for medical expenses. I assume we can also put money into it, but not sure and neither was the rep. (smh)

There is no open enrollment for Medigap- the Medicare rep. told me that today. It's a one time deal. BUT- there is for other supplemental plans.
To be honest I'm not sure what they call it. Let me look it up. Okay, it's an HRA.

I believe you when you say you've been told there is no open enrollment for Medigap. But again, I wasn't able to see (on the employee benefit website) what plans were available to me until open enrollment started. When I would go in and enter all of my information I kept getting a screen that said no plans were found. When I called, I was told that in October I would be able to see the plans, and I was able to do so and to select a new plan.

Maybe we are talking different things. When you say open enrollment for Medigap, what do you mean? I'm really confused when you say it's a one time deal.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Yes - plan F goes away in 2021. It has been great as it pays the deductible and anything that Medicare does not pay. Plan G is similar, but you have to pay the first $184 or whatever the current deductible is.

Just before I turned 65 (in January 2012), was the year that my company suggested we look for other options, so I guess I got A, B, & F all at the same time. Did not have much choice except for what supplemental plan we were going to choose. So we each started paying the premiums required. It was only $99 the first few years and then last year went up to the $134. Since the only claims that I have had have been for the dermatologist and ophthalmologist. I am going to need cataract surgery next year, so will make up for some of my premiums. I suppose that someday, we will get some benefit from the insurance premiums, but for now. We have both been incredibly blessed with good health.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
YEs - plan F goes away in 2021. It has been great as it pays the deductible and anything that Medicare does not pay. Plan G is similar, but you have to pay the firsst $184 or whatever the current deductible is.
As I posted earlier, Plan F is going away for new enrollees. If you have Plan F you can keep it. However, as others have pointed out, it's possible the premium costs could rise.