• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Measles in Texas Prompt Dire Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Why is this happening all of a sudden? I mean- there have always been people and certain religious groups that did not vaccinate. We have it bad here in NY also.

Are the vaccines wearing off? Ate there more groups of people coming into the country that are not vaccinated?

When I was a kid I had measles, mumps and chicken pox. It was considered good to get them as a kid instead of an adult. No vaccines then I believe.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Why is this happening all of a sudden?
It is not happening all of a sudden; the increase of outbreaks has been on a steady rise for several years. The vaccines are not wearing off, this is 100% due to the idiot anti-vaxxers who believe celebrities like Jenny McCarthy over proven science. As the number of people who are not vaccinated in an area reaches a critical mass, outbreaks become exponentially more common as the "herd immunization" protection breaks down.

Kurt

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It is not happening all of a sudden; the increase of outbreaks has been on a steady rise for several years. The vaccines are not wearing off, this is 100% due to the idiot anti-vaxxers who believe celebrities like Jenny McCarthy over proven science. As the number of people who are not vaccinated in an area reaches a critical mass, outbreaks become exponentially more common as the "herd immunization" protection breaks down.

Kurt

It just seems so weird that THAT many people are not vaccinated all of a sudden.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It just seems so weird that THAT many people are not vaccinated all of a sudden.
They chose to not vaccinate their kids, because THEY (or their parents) had been vaccinated and essentially eradicated those diseases. They didn't get sick because the people who they associated with had immunity. But when people travel- and/or associate with un-vaccinated people, they get sick. Measles is spread through the air, and is highly contagious for several days before the infected even knows they are. In close knit groups of anti-vaxxers- like Orthodox Jews in Queens, the disease can spread like well fanned wildfire. That's why.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

Kurt
Preach!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's not just the kids of the anti-vaxxers that are getting sick, but all of those people (kids, adults) who couldn't be vaccinated for one reason or another. With "herd immunization", the number of people who get sick increases exponentially (not linearly) to the number of non-immunized people who are in the population.

Just making up numbers for illustration of exponentially vs. linearly: For example, if 1% of a population is not immunized and the population is exposed to a disease, then the expected percent who will get sick would be 0.01%. But if 10% of a population is not immunized (a 10x increase), the expected percent who will get sick would be 2% (a 200x increase) (again, made up numbers to illustrate). This due to how many connections/interactions we have with others, and the chances of being exposed increases relative to the number of connections, not the percentage of the population.

In a population where a very small percentage are not vaccinated, when a disease is exposed to the population as a whole, it can fizzle out quickly because it finds no hosts in which to propagate. But increase the non-immunized percentage a small amount, and the disease can survive and propagate and expose a much larger percentage. That's what I have read in some good articles on herd immunization.

Hope that makes sense.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
When my kids were getting ready to go to Kindergarten they had to be vaccinated before they were let into school.Have they changed the requirement?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
When my kids were getting ready to go to Kindergarten they had to be vaccinated before they were let into school.Have they changed the requirement?

I think due to a lot of religious exemptions and the anti vaccination movement and even political reasons regarding illegal immigrant's children who do actually attend schools in the USA, some schools have let things slide either intentionally or unintentionally. Then you have the religious schools themselves of which some people in some religious groups do not vaccinate.

I think different states also have different rules. I know, for example- and this is college- not kindergarten- but when our son went to college in New Hampshire they never asked for any medical records. Being from NY (where everything is regulated to death) I was shocked. I insisted on sending in his medical records and immunizations for them to have on file in case of anything and I made sure he received the meningitis vaccine also.

It seems, though, that this is more prevalent in certain states. I wonder why that is?

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kurt

Requiring vaccinations has, and always will be, a contentious issue.

Should we demand that every individual, regardless of their religious or philosophical views, whatever they may be, be vaccinated?
And if we do, where should those requirements stop. Seems you may be opening a door that could infringe on an individuals basic right to practice their chosen religion in a manner that they may see as best. A door that once opened, may be hard to get closed. Should we define these beliefs and/or practices as simple, "stupidity"? Do we label someones religious beliefs as nothing but, "idiot anti-vaxxers"?

We had our son vaccinated against MMR. Not because the government required it, but because we as parents chose to. I don't expect every other parent or parents to follow my beliefs or choices just as I may not want to follow theirs, whatever they are.

Remember, freedom is not the absence of commitments. It's the ability and right to choose what's best for you.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo

Should we demand that every individual, regardless of their religious or philosophical views, whatever they may be, be vaccinated?
And if we do, where should those requirements stop. Seems you may be opening a door that could infringe on an individuals basic right to practice their chosen religion in a manner that they may see as best. A door that once opened, may be hard to get closed. Should we define these beliefs and/or practices as simple, "stupidity"? Do we label someones religious beliefs as nothing but, "idiot anti-vaxxers"?

We had our son vaccinated against MMR. Not because the government required it, but because we as parents chose to. I don't expect every other parent or parents to follow my beliefs or choices just as I may not want to follow theirs, whatever they are.

Remember, freedom is not the absence of commitments. It's the ability and right to choose what's best for you.

We disagree when your decision can cause serious health issues for other children. We feel that the only exception to vaccines should be medical. If you do not want to vaccinate your children then they should not be allowed to attend public or private schools, day care, preschools, or any other public areas. A person can catch the measles up to two hours after a sick person has been at the location. We do not live in a free society. Many areas are regulated primary for the good of the group - drinking, driving, gun ownership, etc.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
We disagree when your decision can cause serious health issues for other children. We feel that the only exception to vaccines should be medical. If you do not want to vaccinate your children then they should not be allowed to attend public or private schools, day care, preschools, or any other public areas. A person can catch the measles up to two hours after a sick person has been at the location. We do not live in a free society. Many areas are regulated primary for them good of the group - drinking, driving, gun ownership, etc.

While I agree with the concept, and we are all entitled to our opinions, it does raise another question. Based on the concept of, for the good of the group, perhaps we should also require that every child be vaccinated against Influenza. As we know Influenza can not only be dangerous, but deadly.

Some interesting facts.

"Deaths in children with laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infection are reportable in the United States and 183 deaths were reported for the 2017–2018 season. However, influenza-associated pediatric deaths are likely under-reported as not all children whose death was related to an influenza virus infection may have been tested for influenza. Therefore, we used a mathematical model to estimate the total number of pediatric deaths based on hospitalization rates and the frequency of death in and out of the hospital from death certificates, estimating that there were more than 600 deaths associated with influenza in children."

"CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 48.8 million illnesses, more than 22.7 million medical visits, 959,000 hospitalizations, and 79,400 deaths during the 2017–2018 influenza season. This burden was higher than any season since the 2009 pandemic and serves as a reminder of how severe seasonal influenza can be."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

Did you know that Connecticut is the only state to require nine vaccinations. One of those required vaccinations is for, you guessed it, the Flu. I won't mention how many other states have that same requirement, but I think you'll be surprised.

My point being, we must be careful how far we want legislated intervention in our lives.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
My wife has a phobia of needles. Before our 1st GD was born we both got the shot for Whopping Cough. This was the responsible decision. To undergo this for the good of our GK's and society. Unfortunately there is so much inaccurate information about the MMR on the internet. The wackos buy into it.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

In many places, the answer is yes because a family can use 'personal or religious objections' as a basis to exempt a child from vaccinations.

When school districts wise up, they will refuse to allow these students in their school until they have the required vaccinations.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Require they be vaccinated? No. I agree

But without the required vaccination, students should not be allowed in public schools.

It is the choice of the parents. It's on them.

Also, because in all of this, what about the safety of the students being exposed to diseases that are entirely avoidable?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
After the recent measles out break in the Northwest, Texas, New York, etc many States are considering legislation that would remove all exceptions other than medical.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The only shot I don't get is the flu shot. I just do not believe in getting a shot every year that might not even work. Though I suppose as I get older now I might change my mind.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
After the recent measles out break in the Northwest, Texas, New York, etc many States are considering legislation that would remove all exceptions other than medical.

Lawsuits (a religious group) already starting here in NY die to this.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
The only shot I don't get is the flu shot. I just do not believe in getting a shot every year that might not even work. Though I suppose as I get older now I might change my mind.
I felt that way too, Maryann. But after I got a real bad case of flu, man I was miserable, I promised myself I would get a flu shot from then on. I still get colds but not as bad as the time before the flu shot.
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I felt that way too, Maryann. But after I got a real bad case of flu, man I was miserable, I promised myself I would get a flu shot from then on. I still get colds but not as bad as the time before the flu shot.
Silentg

I hear ya! I do not usually get colds, but not saying that won't change. years of working in health care and being in and out of doctors offices every single day, I think I built up some kind of immunity. Now I am not working, so we shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.