• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maybe this can help a newbie...how I acquired great timeshares

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I just found another wonderful timeshare that I wish I knew existed. I would have been going for years.

Not only was this timeshare a great place but I was able to acquire it at a very low price, to me almost equivalent to free.

It made me think...I have been timesharing for 33 years since I was 25. Whereas I made the mistake of buying my first timeshare at full retail, I never really regretted it as the rest of my experiences in timesharing has been great.

Many of the units I acquired since I have either gotten for free or a very small cost.

Only 4 I have spent more ....my 3 Old key west weeks, 1 fall and 2 winter weeks and my winter beachfront Marco Island Week. Even with these I have gotten them for way below market price by learning how it all works.

Learn first, then buy, if it’s right for you.

My acquisitions have been from tuggers, eBay, Redweek and the most HOA’s or their owners. HOA’s sometimes get back great weeks and give great prices as they want the maintenance fees to come in.

This recent purchase evolved. I was staying at Banner Elk, NC at The Blue Ridge Village. I have been looking to acquire a spring week. We already own a fall week. We did find a week but the owner was asking $4000, never would this tugger spend that.

So I decided to check out all the reviews for all the timeshares in the area and one kept standing out Chetola. So I looked for the website and came across the sales available from the HOA and from current owners. I was in the area so I went to check it out and now I am in the process of acquiring two consecutive weeks in the same unit, prime season, low low price, low mf, prime resort.

Over the years I have acquired timeshares this way in Longboat Keys, FL, Treasure Island, FL, Myrtle Beach, Marco Island FL, Ashland NH, St. Pete’s Beach,etc.

So my point, if there is an area you love, research it and look for the HOA sales as well as owner sales. Sometimes I found it online but many times it was just calling each resort and asking If the HOA had units for sale.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Great advice. And your point of "if it’s right for you" cannot be overstated. So many times buyers get in a rush, and end up with something less than they expect, leaving them wondering what went wrong. Often times, nothing went wrong - the buyer just bought the wrong thing.

My second purchase was that way. It was a resort on Kauai I knew I'd like to own, but I didn't understand how units were assigned. I bought in a rush, without doing my full due diligence. The price was low, and I jumped on it. After I got the week into my name, and called to make a reservation, I learned I had bought the lesser of the units available, and the better units I wanted to stay in weren't available to me. I turned around (without ever staying there), sold the unit to a coworker at a break-even price, and I bought the unit type I really wanted. I owned there for over ten years, and enjoyed many stays in the prime unit I'd purchased. Education is so important!

Dave

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
So my point, if there is an area you love, research it and look for the HOA sales as well as owner sales....

I agree with this with a twist. Do it in person at the Resort. Talk to the Manager. Chances are he/she will not only have HOA Owned Weeks but also Owner Weeks for sale. In both cases a low offer will almost always be accepted. Another benefit of doing it in person is that you actually get to look at the Unit if it is a Fixed Week/Fixed Unit.

George

Liz M

Reaction score
As a timeshare newbie, I appreciate all the insight! In terms of going to the manager or asking the resort directly for an HOA owned week, does this only work with resorts that are not affiliated with the main chains such as Hyatt, Westin, Wyndham, Marriott, etc?

Which websites show HOA owned weeks?

Thanks!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a timeshare newbie, I appreciate all the insight! In terms of going to the manager or asking the resort directly for an HOA owned week, does this only work with resorts that are not affiliated with the main chains such as Hyatt, Westin, Wyndham, Marriott, etc?

Which websites show HOA owned weeks?

Thanks!
This works with independent run HOAs. To see if a resort has a list of units for sale you would have to go to each individual resorts website. Not all resorts put it on their website so calling then would be needed.

With some Hgvc affiliates, calling will get you a list of hoa weeks. Whereas they are priced better then regular resale the best bargains are with independent hoa resorts.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
By the same logic, will these resorts take back timeshare to resell? Is that where the HOA listings are from? Or are they abandoned weeks by owners?
Just curios, as I have a timeshare that I want to give back, because I cannot give it away!
Thanks!
Silentg

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
By the same logic, will these resorts take back timeshare to resell? Is that where the HOA listings are from? Or are they abandoned weeks by owners?
Just curios, as I have a timeshare that I want to give back, because I cannot give it away!
Thanks!
Silentg
I really don’t know but my guess is foreclosures. I own at one resort that decides on an individual basis. If illness occurs they have taken them back. Many of my timeshares have in house listings sheets that they give to guests that trade in which moves them with no fees.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I bought 2 HOA owned weeks from the Four Seasons Aviara authorized agent. I paid $2000 per week for two odd years. I wanted 2 weeks because it is a hard resort to book for prime weeks and 2 weeks gives owners the 13 month booking window (vs 12 months for single week owners). We paid $2000 per week because we decided to opt for the ability to convert to Four Seasons hotel specials, in case we can't use the weeks. However, if we would have passed on that benefit, each week would have only cost $1500. I have been looking at the Four Seasons Aviara inventory and there are very few EOY weeks and they are selling for more now. I think we were lucky to get 2 EOY odd weeks. The MFs are high but, given the quality, location and the Four Seasons owner benefits such as entering the lottery to stay in the even more upscale fractionals in Punta Mita and Costa Rica, I do not mind paying the MFs. The 2 bedrooms have 2.5 bathrooms and are about 1600 sf. The interiors look gorgeous. I can wait to visit next year. Also, the other reason we bought FSA is we can deposit one week into Elite Alliance and get 3-4 bedroom luxury units and houses for our MF as well as book Getaways with EA for reasonable prices.

Liz M

Reaction score
I bought 2 HOA owned weeks from the Four Seasons Aviara authorized agent. I paid $2000 per week for two odd years. I wanted 2 weeks because it is a hard resort to book for prime weeks and 2 weeks gives owners the 13 month booking window (vs 12 months for single week owners). We paid $2000 per week because we decided to opt for the ability to convert to Four Seasons hotel specials, in case we can't use the weeks. However, if we would have passed on that benefit, each week would have only cost $1500. I have been looking at the Four Seasons Aviara inventory and there are very few EOY weeks and they are selling for more now. I think we were lucky to get 2 EOY odd weeks. The MFs are high but, given the quality, location and the Four Seasons owner benefits such as entering the lottery to stay in the even more upscale fractionals in Punta Mita and Costa Rica, I do not mind paying the MFs. The 2 bedrooms have 2.5 bathrooms and are about 1600 sf. The interiors look gorgeous. I can wait to visit next year. Also, the other reason we bought FSA is we can deposit one week into Elite Alliance and get 3-4 b
droom luxury units and houses for our MF as well as book Getaways with EA for reasonable prices.

Out of curiosity, how much are the MFs at Four Seasons? Do you have the contact info of the authorized agent or is there a way to look it up?

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Panina, I pretty much adore you in the most positive way as a timeshare owner. Your kindness and generosity are an example to many. Your pragmatism and wisdom without judgement impresses me over and over again! Thank you for once again, guiding the conversation to the positive. Thank you!
JudiZ

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panina, I pretty much adore you in the most positive way as a timeshare owner. Your kindness and generosity are an example to many. Your pragmatism and wisdom without judgement impresses me over and over again! Thank you for once again, guiding the conversation to the positive. Thank you!
JudiZ

JudiZ, wow, what kind words.

Tuggers, including you, are a combination of kind and generous people. I feel lucky to have this close community of support. I only wish I could have a party so I could meet everyone personally.

I always think an act of kindness can affect someone in a positive way that you could never imagine. That is what you just did for me. Thank you. :)

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
JudiZ, wow, what kind words.

Tuggers, including you, are a combination of kind and generous people. I feel lucky to have this close community of support. I only wish I could have a party so I could meet everyone personally.

I always think an act of kindness can affect someone in a positive way that you could never imagine. That is what you just did for me. Thank you. :)

What a party that would be, wouldn't it?? ;) We'd have a blast!

I second the idea of going straight to the independently owned resort. Ours keeps a list of resort-owned weeks. While not free, there are many that are fairly inexpensive. I even won a free week at a wine/cheese social at our home resort several years ago. Had the option to say no, of course! It isn't "prime," but it is a time we would go once we're retired. For now it trades pretty well, so we've been happy. I've used it to trade for early summer weeks here in New England. Patience is key...no need to rush. That's where the mistakes happen!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Out of curiosity, how much are the MFs at Four Seasons? Do you have the contact info of the authorized agent or is there a way to look it up?

The MFs are about $2600 per week. I have two EOY odd weeks so I pay $2600 per year for both weeks. I bought two EOY gold weeks because it has a longer season, including Christmas and New Years as well as Memorial Day. Betty told me buying the summer season is very hard to book, even with the 13 month booking window so we decided to go with Gold season. She is right because we are receiving emails for FSA about the competition for summer week bookings. My agent was Betty at Tri-West http://www.triwest-timeshare.com. She is very knowledgeable and helpful!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
JudiZ

I agree, Panina, you appear to be a very kind and positive person. A role model for how to interact in TUG.