• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace, need explanation

kwinky

Reaction score
Some years ago, my parents bought a week or two at the Mayan in Mazatlan. I say or two because I think they can have a week in a two bedroom or two weeks in a single. They also have a deal that only requires paying maintenance when they use it, plus a bonus week for free as long as one of them is present. I do think they are on a 10 year refurb fee schedule. Anyway, due to age, they might not ever go back to Mexico and the ownership has been a sore point for them, I think because of the refurb cost. They haven't ever banked a week and traded for something closer to home, but their RCI membership is current.

The question I'm trying to help with is what to do now. I have time of my own in Mazatlan at Pueblo Bonito and understand their program, but don't know much about the Mayan. Is it correct that they have different levels? I think Mazatlan only has the Palace, no lux or bliss? Possibilities now would be for me take it over, for them to rent their week, or try and sell it. I will be in Mazatlan myself in two weeks. They probably won't talk to me without my parents there. I'm looking for options and advice at this point.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Vidanta in Mazatlan has only the two "lowest" levels, Mayan Palace and Sea Garden (or Ocean Breeze). The location is between the Pueblo Bonito in town and the PB at Emerald Bay.
As a MP owner, I would rather stay at either PB in town or Emerald Bay, due to location and the wonderful complimentary bus service that PB offers. And Emerald Bay is beautiful.

Is their contract one of the old 25 year deals, or the newer 10 year ones? If it is the latter, they could let their ownership lapse at the end of the 10 years and be done with it without the refurb fee which might be the fee to get another 10 years.

If you have access to their contract, read it very carefully before your trip. The contract should spell out the terms of their responsibilities.

You might want to use some of their week(s) deposited into RCI to get more weeks at PB when you go in the future. With the MF of MP fairly low, trades with RCI would get you weeks at PB probably way below your MF cost.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I'm not a big fan of Mayan Palace in Mazatlan even though the units are nice. No balcony, tiny mini kitchen and age of the buildings are turn offs for me. The Mayan Palace in Mazatlan is the tower farthest away from the pools and ocean. The views are good if you get ocean view on an upper floor but only about 1/3 of the rooms have a good ocean view. It might as well be a hotel next to a resort because you have to walk to the resort for restaurants, pools and beach.

If it were Grand Mayan then I might think about keeping it. The best thing to do on this one is to use it if you want and let it go with your parents passing, imo. I wouldn't even bother to pay the mf or refurb fee unless you plan to use it.

There are other Mayan Palace locations besides Mazatlan. I can tell you the property on near Playa del Carmen has no view and the property in Nuevo Vallarta is small. Neither share in the amenities of the other resorts on property such as the pools.

Bill

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
If you decide to keep - It can transfer to family for no transfer fee with all benefits
( otherwise likely 5x MF tranfer fee & NO TRANSFER of MF on use only & VF week )

You can stay at all Mayan Palace & Sea Garden locations .

Puerto Vallarta - Marina - MP
Nuevo Vallarta - MP & SG
Riviera Maya - MP
Acapulco - MP playa & MP golf & SG
Mazatlan - MP & SG
Puerto Penasco - MP

I have a similar contract - bought in 2006 - ie MF on use only ( after first 5 years ) and Vacation Fare (bonus week - )
It is a 25 year contract. 6 month ARP ( VF week ARP is 45 days Feb / March - 6 months otherwise )

You can book into following year ( ie August 1 - you can book Presidents week
reno fee every 5 years ( extra MF ) Our current MF for a one bedroom suite (2017 week used for Feb 2018 ) is $ approx $715

Vidanta moved to 10 year renewals in 2011 /2012 I believe .( a lower renewal $ than the 25 year ones that are 5 x current MF < about the same prorated >)
they also tended to give 2 bonus weeks with no ARP in the 10 year contracts .

If you want to try it out - next August 1 - I would call reservations at 8 am and book Presidents Week at the
Mayan Palace PV - Marina location .

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
With a Mayan Palace membership, you can use your week in Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Acapulco, Mayan Riviera near Playa Del Carmen, and Puerto Penasco. The cost is the same regardless of where you go. With a MP week, you can downgrade to one of the Sea Gardens - Mazatlan, Nuevo, and Acapulco. Some contracts allow you to get a reduced MF or smaller units in the Sea Garden units.

When we first bought in 1999, we bought a traded in 2-bedroom Sea Garden and could use a 1-bedroom Mayan Palace instead for the same price. Once we upgraded to Mayan Palace, we did not have a similar option of using a 2-bedroom MP for a 1-bedroom Grand Mayan. Generally though, if you own a 2-bedroom unit, you can split it into one week in the 1-bedroom side and 1 week in the Hotel room side (lock-out). That is true at all levels because we can split our Grand Luxxe into 2 weeks - 1 week in the 1-bedroom side and one week in the Studio side. Most contracts come with an extra week that used to be called Vacation Fair. Now they call them residence weeks. These can be used as an extra week by paying the MF and some weeks (Feb-Mar-Apr) are not available.

The bonus week if one is present sounds more like the Senior Certificate, but with a Senior Certificate also means that you do not pay MF for your regular weeks - if you use the "bonus" weeks, you pay. That is how it was originally set up. If you have this option, and are over 77, you do not pay your regular Maintenance Fees at all, you just make reservations. You MUST be there to use it. It is not transferable to kids. They would only have this if they owned before November 30, 2006 and went to the Customer Service Office and signed up before November 20, 2009.

The 10 year contracts started less than 10 years ago. Before that, there was always a 5-year renovation fee that was equal to a current maintenance fee. If they upgraded after receiving the Sr. Cert, they might have the 10 year renewal. IF you do not pay it, they no longer own it and do not get any money back.

kwinky

Reaction score
So it sounds like the Mazatlan Mayan Palace doesn't have a lot of appeal, as far as renting out a week? I was there with my parents 3 1/2 years ago. We stayed in the MP for a couple of nights and then moved to the PB Emerald bay. I thought the unit we were in at the MP was very nice, but the resort didn't have much buzz. Bottom line is my wife and own PB, as do my parents, and I'm just trying to get a feel for the Mayan situation. I know they paid a lot of money for it and the idea of letting it go will take some effort on my part. What does it cost to upgrade from Mayan Palace?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
So it sounds like the Mazatlan Mayan Palace doesn't have a lot of appeal, as far as renting out a week? I was there with my parents 3 1/2 years ago. We stayed in the MP for a couple of nights and then moved to the PB Emerald bay. I thought the unit we were in at the MP was very nice, but the resort didn't have much buzz. Bottom line is my wife and own PB, as do my parents, and I'm just trying to get a feel for the Mayan situation. I know they paid a lot of money for it and the idea of letting it go will take some effort on my part. What does it cost to upgrade from Mayan Palace?

Cost varies depending on what you upgrade for - there is Grand Mayan, Grand Bliss, and several levels of Grand Luxxe that are upgrades from Mayan Palace.

BUT, you can pay the MF and book a week at any of the other resorts and rent that week. I would suggest booking at MP Puerto Vallarta because of the location. It is just off the Marina and folks can snag a bus to downtown or just walk around the Marina where there are lots of restaurants. Nuevo Vallarta and Riviera Maya are also very popular - there are quite a few MP units at Riviera Maya and quite a few in Acapulco too. Chances are that their "home" resort is not Mazatlan.

All is not lost - Mayan Palace is a good resort group. it exchanges well too. When you tell them to deposit a week, they can deposit a week at any of the resorts because they do bulk space banking. We have used RCI and SFX for Mayan Palace deposits and gotten some great exchanges.

Last edited:

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
I have stayed at MP Puerto Vallarta Marina. Several restaurants in Marina is only 10 minutes walk. Public bus is 7 peso to downtown PV. This small resort is very popular in winter time.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I have stayed at MP Puerto Vallarta Marina. Several restaurants in Marina is only 10 minutes walk. Public bus is 7 peso to downtown PV. This small resort is very popular in winter time

Shsh - MP -PV -Marina (200 or so units) might be the toughest Vidanta to get at the 6 month ARP window . Call early am Aug 1 - for Feb weeks .
I think that is why Vidanta has a Grand Bliss sales model on the marina side & plans to build on the empty lot were there was once a Sea Garden .

Since the OP understands timeshares and can transfer the parents contract for free it could be worthwhile for this location .
If the big resort experience is wanted = it would also work for MP Nuevo Vallarta and thereby avoid the $11 pp/pd exchanger charges at that location and the Riviera Maya location .

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sssshhh is right! My first and my favorite.
But most people won't like it cause it's just MP now, and small, and fairly humble. Not at all like the wonderful NV where most visitors will likely find a true 'resort' feel. :cool:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Sssshhh is right! My first and my favorite.
But most people won't like it cause it's just MP now, and small, and fairly humble. Not at all like the wonderful NV where most visitors will likely find a true 'resort' feel. :cool:

Acapulco was our first MP and we love it - the long stretch of beach and large Palapas are great. We are not so crazy about the city though. We tend to go there as a destination resort. We have done the various tours, and now just go and enjoy the resort. We have gone there many times and several times for an entire month. :) They have renovated the main pool and built a new tower overlooking it. They also have a really nice MP on the golf course with a lazy river. Vidanta has done a great job of keeping this resort up to date.

kkay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Newport Coast, Marriott's Sunset Pointe
I am in a similar position. My parents purchased a 2 bedroom back in 1987 and then a 1 bedroom back in 2004. They are both 25 year contracts with the 5 year renovation fee and 25 year renewal fee. They also have a VF week and senior certificate on both. I cannot find any information on his contract on the no maintenance fee for no use, however on the 2016 Maintenance fee billing (the last one I could find in my dads file), they both say the payment due date is upon use. Does this mean they have the no maintenance fee for no use? Was this a separate addendum like the senior certificate? My dad also turned 77 in 2015. He is concerned if he adds me to the ownership (he will remain on it) then he will lose the senior certificate.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
A -
I am in a similar position. My parents purchased a 2 bedroom back in 1987 and then a 1 bedroom back in 2004. They are both 25 year contracts with the 5 year renovation fee and 25 year renewal fee

They also have a VF week and senior certificate on both. I cannot find any information on his contract on the no maintenance fee for no use, however on the 2016 Maintenance fee billing (the last one I could find in my dads file), they both say the payment due date is upon use. Does this mean they have the no maintenance fee for no use? Was this a separate addendum like the senior certificate? My dad also turned 77 in 2015. He is concerned if he adds me to the ownership (he will remain on it) then he will lose the senior certificate.

----------
Re A - if 1987 - they paid the renewal ( 5 x MF = likely about $ 3-4 K ) 5 years ago .
(if 1997 - due in 5 years)

The MF on use only started in 2006 - so it would not be in the original contract .
However because of the senior certificates perhaps it is "billed" that way so prevent having to issue credits .

Re B - these contracts allow transfer to immediate family at no cost .

I am not sure how a family addition works . I would contact member services (by phone with your dad) and ask for them to email PDF copies of both contracts and any other addendum
( the senior certificate registration ) AND ask that they email specifics on adding a family member name .

Vidanta Member Services has a good reputation on TUG and honors what is in their contracts .

Both of these are good contracts .
If your parents are healthy and can travel it can get them 3 weeks for no MF by splitting the 2 bedroom .
The MF on the registered & VF weeks are likely lower than newer Vidanta contracts .

Also because they own 2 contracts the VF weeks can be deposited into RCI for TPU's upon MF payment
The 2 bedroom VF week deposited as 1 bedroom and a studio may get you below $ 19 cost per TPU

kkay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the information. The 2 bedroom is a 1987 contract. It was originally Vidafel in Puerto Vallarta, and was damaged and rebuilt as Mayan Palace. the Senior Certificate is dated 4/16/2007 so perhaps MF on use was done at that time also.

We have contacted member services together and they are sending the forms to add a family member. We will definitely call back next week and ask for copies of contract and the addendums and that everything will remain the same.

I believe the renewal was paid 5 years ago based on that fact that member services confirmed 2 active contracts, however I will confirm.

Unfortunately, because of health issues, my parents will no longer be using it (and have not for a few years). So I believe the Senior Certificate is of no benefit. However, because of the low maintenance fees, especially for the 2 bedroom ($475 in 2016), my husband and I are interested in retaining these weeks for either use or trading.

Thanks for the tip on depositing the 2 bedroom as a 1 bedroom and studio.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Thanks for the information. The 2 bedroom is a 1987 contract. It was originally Vidafel in Puerto Vallarta, and was damaged and rebuilt as Mayan Palace. the Senior Certificate is dated 4/16/2007 so perhaps MF on use was done at that time also.

We have contacted member services together and they are sending the forms to add a family member. We will definitely call back next week and ask for copies of contract and the addendums and that everything will remain the same.

I believe the renewal was paid 5 years ago based on that fact that member services confirmed 2 active contracts, however I will confirm.

Unfortunately, because of health issues, my parents will no longer be using it (and have not for a few years). So I believe the Senior Certificate is of no benefit. However, because of the low maintenance fees, especially for the 2 bedroom ($475 in 2016), my husband and I are interested in retaining these weeks for either use or trading.

Thanks for the tip on depositing the 2 bedroom as a 1 bedroom and studio.

Ok - when we got our Senior Certificates in February 2007, we had a total of 5 weeks at the time. Even though they said that you could only get them if you were the original owner, they gave us Sr. Certs for all 5 weeks even though 2 were bought resale online. We already had the no pay unless you go on our 2 Grand Mayan 2-bedroom weeks, but in early 2008, we got letters for the other 3 that we now had the no pay unless you go for them. We were shocked, but gratefully accepted them! :)

The Senior Certificate is not transferable to anyone - even if you are added to the contract. They can add you to the contract for no cost since you are an heir. Since the Sr Certs are 1/2 price when you are 75 & 76, they may have put the payment upon use on the invoice letter. They would charge the appropriate amount when he made the reservation.

Since your MF are really low, you could sell to someone easily because the older contract has a transfer fee of the cost of the MP. So $475 is a steal. The one bedroom that was purchased in 2004 would probably have a transfer fee of 10% of the original purchase price - probably about $1000.

If I were you, I would keep them because as T-Dot said, for the low MF, and the exchange fee, you would be getting a nice place for a good price with an exchange. You could also rent you week for a profit. The 2-bedroom MP units MF's are close to $900-$1000 if you bought it this week!

You have many options! Good luck!

Last edited:

kkay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Looks like I have to go digging through my parents files one more time, and make another call to Vidanta Member Services. I didn't know what I was really looking for last time, just copied some stuff that looked important. I've learned a lot more about the Mayan weeks from reading so much this board and really appreciate it.

rpennisi

Reaction score
We bought a 2004 one bedroom MP resale and the 10% transfer was $1500. The 2001 two bedroom MP was one MF to transfer on the resale.

I always split the two bedroom into one bedroom suite and studio when depositing. It always gets you more TPUs in RCI than depositing as a two bedroom whole.

I have been "burned" by this a couple of times only, but it does happen when you want to trade for a unit that has a bit higher TPU cost necessitating having to pay RCI to combine TPUs to make the trade.

kwinky

Reaction score
Is there any value to the Mazatlan MP unit as a rental? This particular property is my parent's original purchase. I don't think they have ever traded within the system for any other location. My parents are both in their 80's so the senior deal applies. I do think that the refurb fee is their biggest concern, as well as how it will be disposed of eventually.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
You do not have to book at Mazatlan. If by chance it is a Sea Garden instead of Mayan Palace, you can choose to book at the NV resort where lots of people love to go. Or, there is also a Sea Garden in Acapulco. Ols SG contracts for a 2 bedroom allowed you to go to a 1-bedroom MP. If it is a Mayan Palace unit, you can book in Nuevo, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Puerto Penasco or Riviera Maya. The saysing is "Own at one, own at all.)

Even when you do an exchange through Mayan World, they will most likely choose to deposit in one of the locations that they have a lot of units available in their bulk deposit system.