• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace 25-Year "Renewal" Option

ososman

Reaction score
I own a Mayan Palace (MP) Vacation Club Biannual membership. While vacationing in Puerto Vallarta, I attended a Vida Vacations (MP parent company) sales presentation. The sales rep tried to convince me that my membership (which began in 2003) is for 100 years; and unless I "upgraded" to a Vida Lifestyle membership, I would be passing on the required maintenance fees to my son and/or estate after I died.

The package I purchased was for the Right to Use every-other year for 25 years with the option of renewing for another 25 years.

We've enjoyed our MP membership, but it is our expectation that the membership will end in 2028. My understanding is the MP/Vida can't require us to renew in 25-year increments, as it is "my option." That is how the contract was explained to us. Can anyone confirm this?

Here is the language of our Biannual Agreement -

The right of use granted me is for 25 years, renewable at my option in 25 year increments up to a total, including the initial term, of 100 years. At the time of each renewal, I will pay a renewal fee equivalent to 2.5 then current maintenance fees for each registered week.

I'm assuming the "at my option" means I can opt out after 25 years. I certainly hope it does. Unless, that is, I live to be 140 years old.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
For one thing, anything that TS sales people try to sell you is either based on lies or grossly overpriced (or both). Rarely, if ever, is it sensible to buy something at a TS sales presentation (especially in Mexico).

Secondly, your children will not be required to take over after you die. That is a scare tactic used by many unscrupulous companies but that's another story.

I'm a little unclear on something here. Did you purchase something at this "upgrade" meeting? If so, I (along with many other TUGgers) would recommend you rescind immediately.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding under Mexican law terminates in 25 years. Action must be taken by RTU owner to renew.

Interestingly I have been to a few pitches there($300 and breakfast irresistible) and asked sales person how to do. None knew, the olde boss told me.

ososman

Reaction score
No Way on Upgrade

For one thing, anything that TS sales people try to sell you is either based on lies or grossly overpriced (or both). Rarely, if ever, is it sensible to buy something at a TS sales presentation (especially in Mexico).

Secondly, your children will not be required to take over after you die. That is a scare tactic used by many unscrupulous companies but that's another story.

I'm a little unclear on something here. Did you purchase something at this "upgrade" meeting? If so, I (along with many other TUGgers) would recommend you rescind immediately.

Thank you for your reply.

No, we did NOT purchase an upgrade. We just wanted to verify that there was no truth in the sales rep's threat that we were obligated to renew our current contract for another 75 years. Our contract clearly states that we're done after 25 years, which is fine with us.

ososman

Reaction score
Last Presentation

It is my understanding under Mexican law terminates in 25 years. Action must be taken by RTU owner to renew.

Interestingly I have been to a few pitches there($300 and breakfast irresistible) and asked sales person how to do. None knew, the olde boss told me.

My wife and I are done with timeshare presentations. It's one thing to lie to me about being able to rent the unit, etc. However, to try to scare me into purchasing MORE time in order to protect my heirs from 100 years of fees, liens on my estate, is despicable. :annoyed:

jyenne

Reaction score
I own a Mayan Palace (MP) Vacation Club Biannual membership. While vacationing in Puerto Vallarta, I attended a Vida Vacations (MP parent company) sales presentation. The sales rep tried to convince me that my membership (which began in 2003) is for 100 years; and unless I "upgraded" to a Vida Lifestyle membership, I would be passing on the required maintenance fees to my son and/or estate after I died.

The package I purchased was for the Right to Use every-other year for 25 years with the option of renewing for another 25 years.

We've enjoyed our MP membership, but it is our expectation that the membership will end in 2028. My understanding is the MP/Vida can't require us to renew in 25-year increments, as it is "my option." That is how the contract was explained to us. Can anyone confirm this?

Here is the language of our Biannual Agreement -

The right of use granted me is for 25 years, renewable at my option in 25 year increments up to a total, including the initial term, of 100 years. At the time of each renewal, I will pay a renewal fee equivalent to 2.5 then current maintenance fees for each registered week.

I'm assuming the "at my option" means I can opt out after 25 years. I certainly hope it does. Unless, that is, I live to be 140 years old.

I know your post was from 2014, but I had to share our experience today. Just got kicked out of an “upgrade “ presentation by Mayan Palace. We threatened to put the salesman in our will so the 2003 contract wouldn’t burden our children — his upgrade offer was based on that premise. He walked out. The next one walked away when we wouldn’t initial a worksheet offer for their Ambassadors program, which gets terrible reviews online from people who try to redeem the coupons. We’ve sat through so many high-pressure VidantaResort timeshare presentations ... They are painful sometimes even to the salespersons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rpennisi

Reaction score
Jyenne, I admire your spunk! The putting of the salesperson in your will is priceless!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Just got kicked out of an “upgrade “ presentation by Mayan Palace. We threatened to put the salesman in our will so the 2003 contract wouldn’t burden our children — his upgrade offer was based on that premise. He walked out. The next one walked away when we wouldn’t ......

Will have to share / What a great idea .

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know your post was from 2014, but I had to share our experience today. Just got kicked out of an “upgrade “ presentation by Mayan Palace. We threatened to put the salesman in our will so the 2003 contract wouldn’t burden our children — his upgrade offer was based on that premise. He walked out. The next one walked away when we wouldn’t initial a worksheet offer for their Ambassadors program, which gets terrible reviews online from people who try to redeem the coupons. We’ve sat through so many high-pressure VidantaResort timeshare presentations ... They are painful sometimes even to the salespersons.

This is the best response ever! Next time a Vidanta salesperson pressures me, I will put them in the will for the time share! LOL

Bob Hickam

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Mayan, Vida - Palace View in Brandon, Missouri - Spinnaler
Anyone have problems with the Vida Silver package where they promise the additional 4 day free cruise, additional 7 day resort stay at 5 star resorts, then don't have cruises or lodging I would let my dog stay at. I feel like such a fool for purchasing the additional packages.

"

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Anyone have problems with the Vida Silver package where they promise the additional 4 day free cruise, additional 7 day resort stay at 5 star resorts, then don't have cruises or lodging I would let my dog stay at. I feel like such a fool for purchasing the additional packages.

"

Please give more details .

This sounds like an " exit package " .
(ie) You said No to the first couple of salespeople and before sign out you said yes to a "can't be beat / low cost deal "

Since you mention cruises - was it a "partner" program with ICE / the company that administers the Vida Dollars program ?

Last edited: