TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Maui SUV rental in November

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by Chilcotin, Aug 10, 2018 at 5:08 AM.

1. Chilcotin

Chilcotin TUG Member

From November 4 to 30 (26 car rental days) my husband and I will be making our fifth annual get away from the wet and dreary west coast and go to Kihei trip.

In the past by this time in my trip planning I have secured a great rate for an intermediate SUV rental. This year I have tried all my favorites including Costco, Autoslash and Discount Hawaii Rental Cars and the prices are at least double of anything I have paid in the last four years plus I have to add another 35% for the exchange on the Canadian dollar.

Does anyone know why rental rates are so high this year for Maui?

Has anyone used a rent a wreck type company on Maui? Any suggestions appreciated. There are many days where we just stay at the resort and the vehicle stays in the parking lot.

2. Dean

Dean TUG Member

For July 2018 they shot up for Maui, Kauai and Oahu when the 330 day mark it and while they bobbled up and down some, they rarely went back down to the level before flights came on board. I paid $343 total for an escape for a week on Maui and could have gotten a Santa Fe for another $25 or so. While we had different vehicle types on Oahu and Kauai, the experience of higher prices was similar.

3. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 25,000
    We are currently on Maui. We are paying $520 for the two weeks for a small SUV.

4. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Years ago my bil used a "rent a wreck" company on Maui. He absolutely got what he paid for. When we were to go anywhere, he'd have to go out ahead of time to get the car started. Then, when he was adjusting the rear view mirror, it fell off in his hand.

What I'd suggest is go ahead and make your reservation. Then register it with AutoSlash and hope they find a lower rate. Some folks have been reporting that prices drop closer to the date of their rental.