TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Maui President's Week Rental

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by TXTortoise, Apr 19, 2017.

1. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina
    Vail Streamside Birch
    I know everyone considers President's Week a prime week, but it doesn't look like it really pulls a premium rental fee, though I suppose it might rent easier overall.

For those that have rented out (or In I suppose) a 2BR OF in either old or new units I'd be interested in your experience on ease of renting or getting a premium for that week.

Thanks

2. MOXJO7282

MOXJO7282 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

In my experience it doesn't pull a premium any more than another prime winter or summer week as the demand really seems to be at an all time high so rental prices are definitely up for any prime week.

I've never tried for Christmas and don't have New Year's plat+ weeks but i would think these are the only weeks that command a higher premium than a prime winter or summer week.

3. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina
    Vail Streamside Birch
    Thanks, just looking to see what it might do on the odd years I don't travel.

4. drlee

drlee Guest

In my experience, President's week is hard to book. I've only been able to do it as an add-on to earlier weeks booked (consecutive weeks). Talk around the pool suggests that getting that week via points is also difficult. Thus it would seem you could ask for more in rental than other weeks (ie early January). President's week is as busy as Spring Break weeks, so both should be in higher demand. Week 52 is generally blocked and available only to fixed week owners. This week should also be worth more rental $.

TXTortoise likes this.
  5. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina
    Vail Streamside Birch
    Revisiting this from an occupancy perspective. I've been on Maui during weeks 1-6, is President's week dramatically more busy/chaotic? Other than beach chairs being saved, and airfares higher, I guess I've never felt like the resort was packed.

6. hangloose

hangloose Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
    Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
    Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
    Marriott's Ocean Pointe
    Tried to book my Maui 2BD OF and MKO 3BD OV today at 13 months for President's week. Called at 9am ET exactly. I was on hold for 25 mins and MVCI rep didn't pickup until 9:25am ET. No Maui inventory for Fri/Sat/Sunday checking. :( MKO was available. We're not sure we can go these weeks next year, given work schedules may change once more....so not totally disappointed. But, first attempt at Maui reservation at 13 months for President's week was a fail. Bummer. I'll keep checking back to see if inventory changes or becomes available. If not, I'll try again at 12 month inventory window. Guess those booking with 13 months + 1 week (or more) get the MOC President's week reservations. In future, I guess I'll need to do that if I definitely want that week.

Given I was on hold waiting for 25 mins, does anyone find it faster to book consecutive/concurrent weeks online? I've never used those feature online, but have looked briefly at them. It seems a little confusing/complicated? What do others think?

7. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina
    Vail Streamside Birch
    I missed my 13 Months out Monday date looking for 2BR OF MOC Week 8, 23 Feb, so I called back on Thursday and was able to get Sun-Sun, 24 Feb. Tried again this morning and also got a 15 minute hold. They said to try periodically, usually early morning, but that best chance will now be at 12 month release date.

FWIW, I did verify the most succinct script to use when you finally get a Rep on the phone...since I assume every second counts:

1. Call Res Line to get in at 9am ET
    2. My owner number is XXXXXX
    3. My email is YYYYYYY
    4. I’m booking my Legacy Week (or Points if doing that) Apparently they either have the Points screen up or have to choose which system, once they know what you need.
    - If you have multiple weeks on your account, state which one you are reserving for, e.g., Maui Ocean Club MH Week Z for Feb 17, 2019 (MH*xxxx*xx*B), etc.

I've done the above twice and once I got someone on the line we were looking at dates within 20-30 seconds.

8. SueDonJ

SueDonJ Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
    The online Weeks booking tool doesn't work for instant confirmations of multiple consecutive/concurrent reservations. It's a request form that gets handled by Owner Services after the telephone queue is processed, so it's basically useless for mid-to-high-demand inventory.

9. hangloose

hangloose Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
    Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
    Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
    Marriott's Ocean Pointe
    Thanks Sue. Good to know! Mahalo!

SueDonJ likes this.
  10. tugcccsp

tugcccsp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MMOC Lahaina Villas
    MMOC Napili Villas
    Marriott Summit Watch
    Marriott Mountainside
    Welk-Escondido
    I have MMOC Lahaina Villas, President's Day week, and Spring-Break weeks, and those weeks rent out at a higher rate. Mine rent out about $800 more per week than the other winter weeks for 3-Bedroom. They are high floor ocean front. When I put the President's Day week up for rent, it rented out in four days.

11. tugcccsp

tugcccsp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MMOC Lahaina Villas
    MMOC Napili Villas
    Marriott Summit Watch
    Marriott Mountainside
    Welk-Escondido
    I called this morning at 9:02 AM EST to make a reservation, and was on hold for 25 minutes. I was using a few existing reservations on the front-end for a March 2019 reservation at Mountainside. I was able to get the reservation. Most likely, a MMOC reservation would be more difficult to obtain. It is nice that winter weeks in Maui coincide nicely for ski weeks in Park City.

12. MOXJO7282

Getting Pres week 2BDRM OF is a tough task, This year I couldn't get it going 13 months plus 2 weeks believe it or not. I did get a Sunday check-in with an OV but not an OF. I think I know the person who grabs all these prime weeks. He seems to do so every year and then lists them for rent. Last year I was able to get a few at the 12 month window, but on the computer and not at the opening of the availability window but by persistent checking. The way it happened it almost seemed like Marriott didn't release all the units at 9am EST at the 12 month window because as I continued to search multiple weeks and units became available. Not sure if it was people throwing units back but it seemed to be too many for that scenario so I assumed it was something Marriott was doing.

13. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, HHI
    Marriott Destination Club Points
    I seem to recall you mentioning previously about the 12-month inventory becoming available after 9am at 12 months. Over what time frame after the 9am/12-month point did you wind up searching to find your unit(s)?

14. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina
    Vail Streamside Birch
    Since I don't want to risk the reservation I have confirmed for a Sun-Sun, can I search for a Sat-Sat, without releasing that confirmation? This would be for a legacy week, not points.

I know the Rep has to 'uncouple' it to do a search, while not cancelling, so guessing not....which makes it hard to do manual search.

15. MOXJO7282

I really don't recall exactly but I believe it was over a few days to 10 days or so. I just remember it seemed like more than a few units of multiple dates that popped up so I just thought it was too many to be explained by throw backs but I could be wrong and maybe it was and all the units are released at 9am at the 12 month window.

16. MOXJO7282

Yes without giving up that Sunday check-in you would have to call in and a rep would have to check which does make more difficult to secure.

Back in the day we religiously went to Maui Pres week because the kids were out of school and I never had a probelm securing the week but that was 2BDRM OVs which are easier to secure than OFs.

17. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, HHI
    Marriott Destination Club Points
    This is an important and encouraging statement for us...we are currently waiting on ROFR for an EOY 2BDRM OV at MOC, so the fact that OV is easier than OF is encouraging. We don't need - nor necessarily want - Presidents Week, but we will usually be looking to be able to travel any time in the February-March timeframe (maybe January some years). That OV is easier than OF is an encouraging tidbit, since at least initially, we will be restricted to the 12 month window unless we opt to book consecutively with our Silver Barony Beach Club and deposit Barony to II.

We may also need to ask the current owner to book a 2019 week for us that will transfer with the ownership change (since we likely won't be able to close/transfer before the Feb/Mar weeks are gone), so if OV is easier, that also helps since we'll be asking someone else to do the booking work for us.

18. MOXJO7282

I think with this approach you'll be fine with either OF or OV. It's just when you're looking for a specific prime week like Pres week or really any other Feb-March week and don't have flexibility is where you could have a challenge. With that said I think the best bet is try for what you want at 13 months and if you don't get it be on the phone and computer at 12 months and keep searching until you get what you want.