• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Presentation - 6/2018.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just finished attending my presentation and here are my thoughts.

MVC has set aside $180 Million for ROFR and plans to exercise more resales. No mention of a planned super trust how how they will combine all of the resorts from ILG.

I asked about the ILG merger It was implied that the only reason that MVC acquired ILG was to acquire Starwood. This is only speculation but salesperson thinks that MVC will spin off Westin/Hyatt/Interval, etc and just keep Starwood. Supposedly MVC has been trying to acquire the Starwood resorts but ILG said no, so they purchased all of it. Westin/Hyatt/Etc would be spun off because those that bought into those resorts wanted that brand. It would take 51% of owners to agree to a name change. It's likely that Westin/Hyatt would want to acquire back their named resorts as they wouldn't want those owners being encouraged to stay at Marriott Hotels.

I asked about Cancun and whether MVC would keep the Westin resort their and rebrand to Marriott, and then possibly sell their vacant lot. That's was part of the discussion above about the 51% owners.

Usual talk of new properties, etc I asked about build-out vs. conversion. Didn't get a straight forward answer but I think we all assume there will be a lot of conversions.

Sales pitch was the same 3000/4000/5000 point purchase to enroll 1/2/3 weeks that were purchased after 6/2010. Same 20% discount from $13.86 per point. No mention of price increase. Same financing offer of 10.99%. If held for 18 months, they would provide the same number of one-time use points after 18 months but the first 18 payments must be at the specified payment, you couldn't over pay. For 4000 points, it would be $559 per month. Also their special sign up bonus was 4000 additional points for the current use year.

The one new approach that they did this time was to change the perspective of buying the additional points. Since I purchased my 2 Maui weeks resale for $68000, the 4000 points needed to have these enrolled would be $44352 plus closing of $1366. This would mean my total investment would be $113718 and my weeks would covert to 20,400 points, plus the 4000 points I purchased.

So total investment of $113,718 divided by 24,400 points means that I cost per point on this combined purchase with my prior weeks is $4.66 per point. Very creative way to change perspective, even though you're paying the $13.86 per point for the 4000. It made me consider it, but the answer was still no.

He did present another option for rentals at a specific location at a certain time. I need to track that one down but it has potential.

On the Marriott Reward status, he indicated that the Platinum Status for Presidential/Chairman would map over to Platinum Premier. That Executive would be Platinum 50 in the new program, since it is currently gold.

He mentioned something about Yachts being available for Chairman's and that new benefits would likely be added to Chairman in the future. No real detail

Two different encore packages offered. Maui specific package that had to be used within 2 years that was either $1495 or $1595 and included 25K MRP or the general package to be used within 18 months at one of 25 locations for $995 and included 50K MRP. The $995 was the base rate and could increase by $300 or $600 depending on location and season. For example, Ski weeks in Park city were $1595. These packages were all 6 days/5 nights.

That's all I have for now. Heading to the beach but I welcome questions as that will help jog my memory. Total presentation time with Salesperson, Finance person, and closer was 1 hour and 12 minutes.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks steven for the Detail

One quibble - isn't Westin a Starwood brand: - I know in Avon, CO the Sheraton Mountain Vista and Westin RiverFront are sister properties after a fashion?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
As catharsis says, that's the one thing that doesn't make sense. Westin and Sheraton were both part of Starwood. The idea that they might eventually spin off Hyatt Residence Club and Interval International has been advanced before, and would not seem that far-fetched. But both Westin and Sheraton are now Marriott International-owned brands, so "Westin" is Marriott. The statement that "Westin would want to acquire back their named resorts as they wouldn't want those owners being encouraged to stay at Marriott Hotels" makes absolutely no sense because Westin is owned by Marriott hotels. They are the same company now.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay. Like I said, these are some quick details. If Westin is part of Marriott now, I’m sure they’ll keep it. I just couldn’t remember all of the brands coming from ILG.

In short, what’s not currently Marriott will likely get spun off. That was the speculation from the sales person. That’s one way for Marriott to reach their end goal and to reduce the cost of the acquisition.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I agree with Jim and catharsis about the Westin comment. That doesn't make sense. In addition, the Westin resorts are the higher end resorts in Vistana. I would think MVC would want to keep them and try to leverage the owners.

Best regards.

Mike

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
That's very interesting about the possibility to sell back the Hyatt properties to Hyatt (I think that's what Steven meant, and not the Westin properties).

I would have thought that the original transaction from Hyatt to ILG would have contemplated out to treat the Hyatt properties if ILG was acquired by a third party -- that's kind of an obvious scenario. I would think there were restrictions on the ability to promote any other brands at the HRC locations, and therefore Hyatt timeshares can continue to be marketed independently and as currently operated, with no mention of Marriott and Starwood. I think that could easily be enforced and Marriott would not violate it.

So I don't think we will see a sale back to Hyatt, but time will tell.

I appreciate the other information Steven posted on, and interesting to see the current offerings. Enjoy 6206 Steven!!

Best,

Greg

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Chairman level probably will get some enhancements. There's little value there now over Presidential. But there should be. I agree the Westin and Sheraton resorts are unlikely to be spun off. Of course, it's unlikely the salesman is privy to too much info.

My presentation in Spain did say the same thing about MR mapping (old level to new) that Steven heard. I do think that is likely what will happen.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
MVC has set aside $180 Million for ROFR and plans to exercise more resales.

Thinking further about Steven's post, I think this will not be an issue for us.

$180M in resale purchases -- let's assume an average of $5,000 per ROFR -- that's 36,000 weeks that would be repurchased (aren't there only 700K in the entire system?). Assume that they only exercise MM1 2BR OF's @ $25K each -- that's 7,000 weeks (about double the entire number of 2BR OFs).

I would not be surprised to see increased ROFR activity and new buyback programs, but I think we will find the purchase experience is not that different from what we saw a few years ago. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Best,

Greg

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Funny.....

I too would think that Marriott would keep the premier brands (Westin, Hyatt...) and try to build a mega-points system patterned on DC points for the premium locations and properties. Hard to do/imagine, but it makes some sense.

But, if a salesperson's mouth is moving.....well, you know the rest.

Great report.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Don't have a clue what MVC is thinking/plotting and it's all speculation at this point anyway. However, I for one, would love to see us get some sort of an inside track to the Hyatt HRC inventory.

Steve, thanks much for the presentation synopsis.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm back from Vacay and have had a little time to look things through. I see that Westin is now part of Marriott so it will probably stay. It seems like the only items that don't fit the Marriott bucket are Interval and HRC.

My speculation is that HRC gets sold off back to Hyatt. I can agree with the sales person on that.

However, with Interval, Marriott could keep it and still make it work for them. I think this could go either way. Interval would allow Marriott to monetize unsold/unreserved inventory. It could also open up the bucket to Destination Escapes and bolster the usage for 60 day holding accounts. The Holding accounts and the 60 day limit are the weak spot for Marriott. It would be nice to use holding points to book instead of the stupid accommodation certificates that never really work for me.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
It seems like the only items that don't fit the Marriott bucket are Interval and HRC.
There are actually a few more smaller ones, if you look at the list of ILG companies from their website: https://ilg.com/sites/ilg/home/companies.html

Aqua-Aston (condo and hotel resort management)
VRI Americas & VRI Europe (resort and HOA management)
Trading Places International (a smaller exchange company)

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
The "conjecture" I received from the sales person earlier this month at MOC about how the newly aquired timeshare resorts will turn out was that all unsold units would be put into the trust.

He also stated the dollar amount of the MOC villa refresh this fall was going to be. It was so high and I may have mis-heard it so I get it from a reliable source...

Pocky87

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club AP
Have a query below.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The "conjecture" I received from the sales person earlier this month at MOC about how the newly aquired timeshare resorts will turn out was that all unsold units would be put into the trust.

He also stated the dollar amount of the MOC villa refresh this fall was going to be. It was so high and I may have mis-heard it so I get it from a reliable source...
It wouldn’t perhaps be too surprising to hear that villa refresh costs are going to be very high, if these are one of the 5 or 7 year or... scheduled major refresh programmes.
What is probably far more important is whether these are already properly budgeted for or an additional cost to be covered by a hike in MFs or a Special Assessment - hopefully neither of these?

Pocky87

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club AP
Just finished attending my presentation and here are my thoughts.

MVC has set aside $180 Million for ROFR and plans to exercise more resales. No mention of a planned super trust how how they will combine all of the resorts from ILG.

I asked about the ILG merger It was implied that the only reason that MVC acquired ILG was to acquire Starwood. This is only speculation but salesperson thinks that MVC will spin off Westin/Hyatt/Interval, etc and just keep Starwood. Supposedly MVC has been trying to acquire the Starwood resorts but ILG said no, so they purchased all of it. Westin/Hyatt/Etc would be spun off because those that bought into those resorts wanted that brand. It would take 51% of owners to agree to a name change. It's likely that Westin/Hyatt would want to acquire back their named resorts as they wouldn't want those owners being encouraged to stay at Marriott Hotels.

I asked about Cancun and whether MVC would keep the Westin resort their and rebrand to Marriott, and then possibly sell their vacant lot. That's was part of the discussion above about the 51% owners.

Usual talk of new properties, etc I asked about build-out vs. conversion. Didn't get a straight forward answer but I think we all assume there will be a lot of conversions.

Sales pitch was the same 3000/4000/5000 point purchase to enroll 1/2/3 weeks that were purchased after 6/2010. Same 20% discount from $13.86 per point. No mention of price increase. Same financing offer of 10.99%. If held for 18 months, they would provide the same number of one-time use points after 18 months but the first 18 payments must be at the specified payment, you couldn't over pay. For 4000 points, it would be $559 per month. Also their special sign up bonus was 4000 additional points for the current use year.

The one new approach that they did this time was to change the perspective of buying the additional points. Since I purchased my 2 Maui weeks resale for $68000, the 4000 points needed to have these enrolled would be $44352 plus closing of $1366. This would mean my total investment would be $113718 and my weeks would covert to 20,400 points, plus the 4000 points I purchased.

So total investment of $113,718 divided by 24,400 points means that I cost per point on this combined purchase with my prior weeks is $4.66 per point. Very creative way to change perspective, even though you're paying the $13.86 per point for the 4000. It made me consider it, but the answer was still no.

He did present another option for rentals at a specific location at a certain time. I need to track that one down but it has potential.

On the Marriott Reward status, he indicated that the Platinum Status for Presidential/Chairman would map over to Platinum Premier. That Executive would be Platinum 50 in the new program, since it is currently gold.

He mentioned something about Yachts being available for Chairman's and that new benefits would likely be added to Chairman in the future. No real detail

Two different encore packages offered. Maui specific package that had to be used within 2 years that was either $1495 or $1595 and included 25K MRP or the general package to be used within 18 months at one of 25 locations for $995 and included 50K MRP. The $995 was the base rate and could increase by $300 or $600 depending on location and season. For example, Ski weeks in Park city were $1595. These packages were all 6 days/5 nights.

That's all I have for now. Heading to the beach but I welcome questions as that will help jog my memory. Total presentation time with Salesperson, Finance person, and closer was 1 hour and 12 minutes.

Hi steven, with regards to the Marriott Rewards status. Do you meant they will honor presidential/chairman to platinum premier and select/executive to platinum 50?

I saw that you missed out select level as they are currently giving this level gold status. It’s quite worrying for select level members like me who might be downgraded if they only upgrade the executive level.

Thanks

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was implied that the tiers would map across like the regular Marriott statuses.

Presidential and Chariman to Platinum Premier
Select and Executive to Platinum 50

We have 5 weeks till beginning of August. I’m just in a wait and see mode till then.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Wyndham bought worldmark and shell several years ago and basically run them as separate companies ( Yes there is some very small overlap)

And Diamond has bought a half dozen or more TS systems ( like Club Intrawest, Monarch Grand ect) and found a way to roll them all into Diamond

So it is anyone's guess which way MVC will go BUT I'm guessing they will do like Wyndham and have some small overlap but most keep them all separate.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Wyndham bought worldmark and shell several years ago and basically run them as separate companies ( Yes there is some very small overlap)

And Diamond has bought a half dozen or more TS systems ( like Club Intrawest, Monarch Grand ect) and found a way to roll them all into Diamond

So it is anyone's guess which way MVC will go BUT I'm guessing they will do like Wyndham and have some small overlap but most keep them all separate.
I agree. I would be very surprised to see them all combined into one system any time soon, if ever.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I agree. I would be very surprised to see them all combined into one system any time soon, if ever.

I agree it won't be any time soon, but given what VAC paid for ILG, wouldn't it make sense that they have to find some way to eventually drop more benefit to the bottom line than just the estimated $75 million in operational/administrative savings? How else can they benefit from the merger unless they find a way to make it attractive for folks to buy more product and boost the top line? There seems to be no easy way to leverage the merger to increase top line sales unless they eventually find a way to allow DC points users to use their points at Vistana properties and for StarOptions to be used in some fashion at MVC properties.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree it won't be any time soon, but given what VAC paid for ILG, wouldn't it make sense that they have to find some way to eventually drop more benefit to the bottom line than just the estimated $75 million in operational/administrative savings? How else can they benefit from the merger unless they find a way to make it attractive for folks to buy more product and boost the top line? There seems to be no easy way to leverage the merger to increase top line sales unless they eventually find a way to allow DC points users to use their points at Vistana properties and for StarOptions to be used in some fashion at MVC properties.
I expect them to follow Wyndham model where each system's developer-bought points can book across the other 2 systems at a reduced booking window. Resale point owners can pay a significant junk fees to make the points whole for the same privilege of booking across the other 2 systems.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
... What is probably far more important is whether these are already properly budgeted for or an additional cost to be covered by a hike in MFs or a Special Assessment - hopefully neither of these?

It was in the budget already. They reviewed and nixed items that made sense not doing like not painting the ceilings, etc. How close they come to the money already set aside was not stated, but they were probably close. We'll see it in next years financials...

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I agree that limited overlap such as you suggest is likely, but I don't consider that to be merging the systems. It is more analogous in concept to Explorer offerings, where DC points or Star Options could be used to book stays in the sister systems. I would not be at all surprised to see that.