TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Maui police ID father who died rescuing daughter at Olivine Pools on Maui

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by T_R_Oglodyte, Apr 4, 2018.

1. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

Maui police ID father who died rescuing daughter at popular tourist spot on Maui

2. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    So sad. But, I'm sure he died in peace knowing his daughter was safe.

Clearly, not the first death and probably not the last.

A lesson for us all: tremendous beauty and tremendous power to be admired and respected (feared)

clifffaith likes this.
  3. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Sad to die in paradise. Reminds me of snorkeling with DS and his daughter on Maui. I got into a coughing fit and couldn't get my breath. I thought it was the end, as I had exhaled- or coughed out all the air than made me buoyant. Fortunately I came upon a coral head that I could stand on (I know you're not supposed to do this) long enough to get my breath and proceed to the beach. This was the last time I snorkeled. It REALLY would have been the last time if I hadn't come across that coral!

The takeaway here- If you are with another swimmer in the sea- REALLY be WITH THEM, not distracted by the beauty of the place or other things.

Jim

chellej and taterhed like this.
  4. T_R_Oglodyte

Some years back, we were staying at Ka'anapali Beach Club and did the entire Hana loop, with a stop off at the Seven Sacred Pools. About an hour after we were there, a flash flood struck and washed a boy out to sea. The father dove into the ocean to try to save him. IIRC, both of them drowned. They had also been staying at KBC. :(

5. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    That is very sad. I have hiked to the pools but didn't swim. It looked dangerous to me.

6. T_R_Oglodyte

We were doing the tour with DW's cousin and her husband, who were living on Maui at the time. When we were at the Pools, they mentioned to listen for the sound of bongo drums in the distance, because that is the sound of a flash flood as it comes down the slopes of Haleakala. We didn't hear anything like that when we were there, and by the time the flash flood hit we would have been too far away to have heard them.

easyrider likes this.
  7. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    Many people, mostly tourist I bet, drown in Hawaii. A large part of my friends family drowned snorkeling sea caves in Maui. The daughter and mother were getting sucked in and the dad and brother went after them. They all drowned. I bet more tourist die or get injured in Hawaii than in any other tourist destination, mostly from water activities.

Bill

8. T_R_Oglodyte

Yeah - I was wondering about how tourist deaths due to drowning in Hawaii compared with all types of tourist deaths in Mexico.

FWIW - one of my sons was assaulted on a beach on Kauii when he and his companions ventured into an area where haoles were not allowed.

9. Kapolei

Kapolei Guest

I have never heard of such a place. Could you share more details. Location, time of day, circumstances. Thanks.

10. T_R_Oglodyte

Not unallowed as a matter of law.

He and a group of friends (on Kauai doing a Habitat for Humanity project) were on Anahola Beach near sunset. A group of people approached them and made them very unwelcome, letting them know that haoles were not welcome there. Some of the people in his group stood their ground, and some fisticuffs ensured. The rest of my son's group decided it wasn't worth it, and decamped.

When they contacted the police, the police took a report - but the police were only interested in getting information to fill out the report and didn't bother to ask about significant information. Such as how many people were in the group, physical descriptions, etc.

11. Kapolei

Kapolei Guest

Sorry to hear about that. Engaging thugs on a beach, no matter who they are, is not normally recommended. Doesn’t sound like those that “stood their ground” were exhibiting leadership skills. Was anybody drinking?

12. T_R_Oglodyte

No one in my son's group had been drinking.

A bit more background - by way of explanation and not of justification. Anaahola Beach abuts an area that is designated as Hawaiian Home Lands. There are some who then try to discourage/prevent haoles from frequenting Anahola so it can be a "Native" beach. My son's group apparently encountered one such group.

13. Kapolei

Kapolei Guest

Understood. I could be wrong. But I doubt those people on the beach were duly elected to represent anyone. And your son’s group may have been in sober, but you can never be sure of the strangers.

Thanks for sharing the information. It may help others who encounter ghetto behavior. Most situations in Hawaii can be de-escalated by the adults on all sides. However, if in a strange place, you can never assume people you are dealing with are sane and sober.

On a more positive note, we should all be glad that the Hawaiian spirit is alive and well.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    daventrina likes this.
  14. Greatdeal

Greatdeal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Coconut Bay Resort, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    I agree. Tourists should always remember that Hawaiian Natives have sacraficed thier sacred land and life since becoming the 50th. They are the very best people and have beautiful hearts and souls. Respecting that you are "visiting" and they are "living" there is my motto.(especially if you are a group of young boys/teens/millenial kids in an already tense environment. I also agree that "Most situations in Hawaii can be de-escalated by the "adults" on all sides. It only takes one to chat the wrong chit and set something off. It's a rare opportunity for most to visit paradise. Leave attitudes and egos at home.

daventrina, mauitraveler and taterhed like this.