• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui News article on County of Maui's appeal on WKORV WKORVN tax ruling

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
@DeniseM
So this is not considered political, but my post was?
‘certain optical organizations’
In IL, CA, MA, NJ... Gee. not political at all...

Despite rumors to the contrary, ;) I am not omnipresent on TUG. I haven't been on TUG at all today. That is why we have the handy "report post" button for your convenience. It is difficult to use moderator functions on my tablet so I highly recommend that you use said button.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Update: I got back to my computer, and the political post has been edited.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I am not as forgiving as some others. If it is ultimately decided that I paid higher property taxes for the past 10 years than were lawfully assessed, I want my money back. Letting the county keep it and just fix it going forward is not acceptable. It is like penalizing a thief by preventing him from stealing in the future, but letting him keep the money he has already stolen.

I agree. In fact, the county already set this precedent by re-assessing prior years rather than just "fixing" them going forward. I'd say letting the county have a taste of its own medicine is warranted here.

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
We just returned from our 2-week stay at WKOV-N and attended the Elite reception they hold monthly. At the reception, Ryan Nobriga (GM) made reference to this 30-minute tv show that aired in November that discusses the issue at length: https://www.tfhawaii.org/wordpress/...eal-of-ocean-resort-villas-community-matters/.

It's a bit dry and long, so in a nutshell, here's a recap (the show is Think Tech Hawaii and the host is interviewing the head of the Tax Foundation of Hawaii, an independent non-governmental advocacy group, whose opinions I'm referring to here): the separate tax classification was likely legal but the retroactive assessment was likely not. Maui County violated Ocean Resort Villa's constitutional rights by targeting ORV (and ORV only, as when others learned of the penalty and proactively contacted the county were told that is was just ORV being punished for having the gall to take the county to court) with the 10 million we had to pay in 30 days for which we were billed the special assessment. The judge is most displeased with the County's actions. The judge can, and likely will, assess punitive damages to the County if the County loses its appeal. While the County's appeal is under review by the state court, both sides are in settlement talks.

For the record, we're very happy with our purchases and it won't be a hardship top continue to pay the maintenance fees and taxes or if we never receive and money back. I understand the County needs the money, but it's pretty clear they overstepped their authority here. The tax foundation doesn't expect anything to happen in less than a year.