• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui car rental - Autoslash issue?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We are headed to Maui next month. I had previously reserved a car at a decent rate through Costco. I check the price periodically - so far nothing is much cheaper. The car is booked with Budget. Recent reviews on Tripadvisor are pretty negative about the OGG Budget facility, indicating long waits to pick up the car (as in 1 - 2 hours). Any recent experience with Budget on Maui? We arrive on a Friday if that makes any difference.

Today I booked a backup week using Autoslash for the first time. I selected Hertz. The price was about $20 higher than Costco/Budget. Close enough. The reservation was through Priceline, and on the bottom of the Priceline confirmation, it indicates the following:
  • Corporate Discount (CDP, AAA Discount Number):2102513
We do not have AAA. I did not indicate that we have AAA on Autoslash, only Alaska and Southwest rewards accounts. This means that they applied the AAA discount, correct? Disappointing if that's what they did.

RCI also shows much lower prices than Costco. I'm thinking of using them. Any thoughts? TIA.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We have used Autoslash extensively in the past including Maui. Never an issue. Never asked for AAA or any other discount proof when we reached the counter. (in fact I never paid attention to whether a discount coupon was applied.)

Recently Autoslash changed how they book. Rather than direct, they direct you to Priceline. I have a few rentals coming up and will see how it works. More work now because you need to re-enter the rental from Priceline for them to monitor the price. Given my success in the past, I will still use until I see an issue.

Usually the best price out there. Even compared to Costco, based on our experience. Our Maui full size rental last year during prime summer season went from $450 initially to $208 for the week because of Autoslash. The competitors were not close. Note that I tend to book early so perhaps this is why.

Last edited:

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
I have had good luck with Autoslash.com, but not always a better price. In some cases it has been amazing how much we saved. Most of our experience has been in Hawaii. Never the problems people have been reporting, but we try to travel mid week. No experience with Priceline though.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Recommend signing up for Budget's FastBreak program. Lets you skip those 1-2 hour lines, and go direct to the counter, often right to the car. You can still make your own reservations, but make sure at the Budget level they know your FastBreak number. It can save you a lot of time.

Dave

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are headed to Maui next month. I had previously reserved a car at a decent rate through Costco. I check the price periodically - so far nothing is much cheaper. The car is booked with Budget. Recent reviews on Tripadvisor are pretty negative about the OGG Budget facility, indicating long waits to pick up the car (as in 1 - 2 hours). Any recent experience with Budget on Maui? We arrive on a Friday if that makes any difference.

Today I booked a backup week using Autoslash for the first time. I selected Hertz. The price was about $20 higher than Costco/Budget. Close enough. The reservation was through Priceline, and on the bottom of the Priceline confirmation, it indicates the following:
We do not have AAA. I did not indicate that we have AAA on Autoslash, only Alaska and Southwest rewards accounts. This means that they applied the AAA discount, correct? Disappointing if that's what they did.

RCI also shows much lower prices than Costco. I'm thinking of using them. Any thoughts? TIA.
Try either calling, email, or go on Facebook to ask Autoslash. I know for me they've been great. I dislike talking on the phone so usually message them on FB and they usually are real fast at responding. That is one thing I like, great customer service.

AutoSlash

Reaction score

Hertz CDP 2102513 is NOT for AAA. If you view the reservation on Hetrz.com using your Hertz confirmation number, you will see it says "PROMO RATE" which is a generic promotional discount.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact us at support@autoslash.com if you have any additional questions. We're always happy to help!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I've just started using AutoSlash more this past year. I haven't had any problems with the rentals, but I am having an issue with Budget and the price differences between what I am getting with my email confirmations, both through AutoSlash and Costo, and what Budget shows on their website. Budget shows more than the confirming email I had received. In one case the local Budget where I picked the car up (this was in Vancouver) had the same price as what the email confirmation showed. In most cases the difference has been about $20. I have one currently where there is only a $2 difference. I keep thinking I should report it to Costco and AutoSlash to let them know the rates they are quoting, and confirming, are not what Budget is reflecting.

I do agree with Dave's suggestion to sign up for FastBreak, and then make sure that number gets added to your current reservation. Our last experience with Budget on Maui was this past March and I don't remember waiting a particularly long time to get the car. In fact the whole getting the luggage and the car went really quickly. We usually have dh go get the car while I get the luggage and then he'll come back for me. This year the luggage was out immediately and we picked it up and both went to the car rental.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Hertz CDP 2102513 is NOT for AAA. If you view the reservation on Hetrz.com using your Hertz confirmation number, you will see it says "PROMO RATE" which is a generic promotional discount.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact us at support@autoslash.com if you have any additional questions. We're always happy to help!
I appreciate the clarification. The AAA threw me off. Makes me feel better now. :)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Autoslash give you a choice of providers. We have started to use the larger players again (AVIS, Hertz, Enterprise, National, Alamo) through Autoslash because we have found very long lines in some locations for Budget, Thrifty and Dollar and we are tired of the nickel and diming with charges for a second driver, and stories of charges for dings that were pre-existing but did not see at night in the lot. Many of their cars tend to be more beat up.

We always take a phone video around the car before we leave the lot to avoid those charges. One minute video to save much hassle later.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I was trying to say that we are increasingly using the bigger providers (no matter whether via Autoslash, Costco etc.) rather than the discount providers. Sometimes only a few dollars more or the same when you add all the nickel and dime fees.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I will comment... I've had nothing but great experiences with Hertz and very good experiences with National. All my dealings with Autoslash have been very good as well. I recently did one of their Priceline reservations.....I usually swear-off Priceline and refuse to mess with them (historical bad experiences, mostly in Hotels). But, the Priceline booked with Autoslash was very normal and uneventful. I will note that the reservation auto-charged my creditcard at pickup time--waiting for luggage--so I'm not sure if that's a priceline thing or not.

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have always used Costco for our car rentals as I have never heard of Autoslash until seeing this thread. I had a full size car booked for our upcoming Maui trip but decided to check Autoslash and got a standard suv (supposedly a Forerunner via Hertz) for $300 and change cheaper than my Costco rental although it was under a "buy it now" caveat. Autoslash = another tool in the travel search. Thanks

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Recommend signing up for Budget's FastBreak program. Lets you skip those 1-2 hour lines, and go direct to the counter, often right to the car. You can still make your own reservations, but make sure at the Budget level they know your FastBreak number. It can save you a lot of time.

Dave

I agree with DaveNW regarding Budget’s FastBreak Program. I forgot I was a member until our last two trips- Maui and Kauai. I used our number while making the reservation via Costco and the process was much faster. Less than 10 minutes.

Best regards.

Mike