• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massive California power outages may begin early Wednesday

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lived in California my entire life. Only had to deal with a large earthquake once which caused some chimney damage and pulled my pool cover track up in areas. Never been near a mud slide. Don't like the forest fires and closest one to me stopped about 10 miles away. Under prop 13 so pay less then $3,000 in property tax on our 3 million dollar home. Way to many homeless but not sure how we compare with other states with our population and considering I'm in the heart of Silicon Valley I'm guessing it has to do with many that don't qualify for a job that pays $70,000-$200,000 or more a year. Same reasoning for high property values which would come down if so many didn't want to live here with our great weather,short driving distance to the mountains or the ocean.
I also haven't had to deal with flooding,hurricanes,tornadoes, or weather that changes each hour.
Love visiting other states but have never found anywhere else I'd want to live.
Bart

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Lived in California my entire life. Only had to deal with a large earthquake once which caused some chimney damage and pulled my pool cover track up in areas. Never been near a mud slide. Don't like the forest fires and closest one to me stopped about 10 miles away. Under prop 13 so pay less then $3,000 in property tax on our 3 million dollar home. Way to many homeless but not sure how we compare with other states with our population and considering I'm in the heart of Silicon Valley I'm guessing it has to do with many that don't qualify for a job that pays $70,000-$200,000 or more a year. Same reasoning for high property values which would come down if so many didn't want to live here with our great weather,short driving distance to the mountains or the ocean.
I also haven't had to deal with flooding,hurricanes,tornadoes, or weather that changes each hour.
Love visiting other states but have never found anywhere else I'd want to live.
Bart

3 million dollars...wow...and that’s probably average price in your area. You could sell, retire to Phoenix with a bigger place for 10 percent of what your place is worth...but as you said, you are living the life there so $$$ don’t matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We live in the inland SF Bay Area. So far so good. We have not lost power during any of these blackouts to date. It was not windy here although we smelled smoke from Sonoma a few days ago.

Not like last year's "nuclear winter" with smoke from the Camp Fire where we didn't see the sun for days and had to wear masks outside.

The Bay Area has many different micro-climates. It can be 50 degrees, windy and foggy on the coast and 90 degrees and sunny 20 miles inland.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I was born and raised in southern California, moved to northern California in 1981 and lived there until we moved to New Mexico in 2012. We never experienced any of the extreme conditions that are occurring now. We moved out of state for various reasons, none were because we didn't love California. Our older dd still lives there, in the Silicon Valley. So far they have not been personally impacted by the outages, but she is thinking that could happen at any time. One of my oldest friends lives in Grass Valley, which is in the Sierra foothills. I just got a note from her. They have had outages for up to 8 days and expect more. She and her husband are seriously considering moving out of California.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I was born and raised in southern California, moved to northern California in 1981 and lived there until we moved to New Mexico in 2012. We never experienced any of the extreme conditions that are occurring now. We moved out of state for various reasons, none were because we didn't love California. Our older dd still lives there, in the Silicon Valley. So far they have not been personally impacted by the outages, but she is thinking that could happen at any time. One of my oldest friends lives in Grass Valley, which is in the Sierra foothills. I just got a note from her. They have had outages for up to 8 days and expect more. She and her husband are seriously considering moving out of California.
I have lived here my whole life and I was just thinking about it this morning. Something has drastically changed. The fires that we are seeing now are nothing like when I was younger. They were smaller and far less frequent. And more of a southern CA thing. Now they are frequently in NorCal and very large. It's ridiculous.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have lived here my whole life and I was just thinking about it this morning. Something has drastically changed. The fires that we are seeing now are nothing like when I was younger. They were smaller and far less frequent. And more of a southern CA thing. Now they are frequently in NorCal and very large. It's ridiculous.
And as I've mentioned before, my bff lost everything in the Paradise Camp Fire. She relocated to Florida where her older dd and family live. Had just gotten settled there when she was evacuated (again) for Hurricane Dorian. Luckily she had no damage.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm really anxious to hear the reasons for all of these current fires. I know lots of times it's been a power line, but it also seems, at least here in southern California, that some deranged person decided to start one - oftentimes a firefighter.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I'm really anxious to hear the reasons for all of these current fires. I know lots of times it's been a power line, but it also seems, at least here in southern California, that some deranged person decided to start one - oftentimes a firefighter.

Sounds likely in the case of the getty fire, looks like it started next to the 405 and winds blew it southwest over the hills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
My back, which was so cooperative two weeks ago in Carlsbad, came roaring back with pain levels that make me want to get from point A to point B with as few steps as possible. A migraine started during the night, and when the radio alarm went off with freeway closures due to fire we decided to put off our trip to Diàmond Resorts San Luis Bay in Avila beach. Figured no sense trying to get around the fires to go on vacation when people are trying to get to work, school (then they cancelled classes at UCLA) and evacuation centers. We may go up tomorrow (was a five day reservation), or dig the trove of super balls out and stay home for Halloween. I put the reser up for free on the Diamond US Facebook, but so far no takers.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My heart goes out to those affected. Please listen to warnings and obey local authorities. They have your welfare at heart and are trying to minimize damage.

We'll be bracing for an influx of new residents, but hey, the wind blows and we have fires here too.

Take care!

Jim